How I built my AR lower with no scratches! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How I built my AR lower with no scratches!

M&P Shooter
11-01-2011, 19:56
I used a small C clamp with a piece of holster leather on both sides for the trigger pin and small vice grips tapped up and the lower taped for the catch pin. I wiped a small amount of CLP oil on pins with my finger before installation. This will be my method for my next AR build as it worked very smooth:wavey:

http://www.thenewrifleman.com/builds/rifle-builds/17-how-to-build-a-lower-receiver

txgunguy
11-01-2011, 21:26
I've seen multiple walkthroughs of people using this method. Going to go the pliers route myself later this week. I don't have a vise and magwell vise block and don't want to buy either.

faawrenchbndr
11-02-2011, 02:37
Congrats on the 1st assembley! :thumbsup:

The only time, out of about 30, that I scratched a lower, it was by using
the vice grip trick. I ue a 5" nail set. Tip is concave, does not slip off the
pin. Works for me,.......

JTLIII
11-02-2011, 08:24
IMO, it's going to get scratched eventually, so I don't make too much fuss about it.

txgunguy
11-02-2011, 12:35
IMO, it's going to get scratched eventually, so I don't make too much fuss about it.

This too. It's inevitable as it rubs against other rifles, the bench, etc.

IGotIt
11-02-2011, 13:33
Now you want to do another one, don't you?

ghostman1960
11-02-2011, 13:57
Now you want to do another one, don't you?

I did anyways. After I assembled my first lower I started to assemble lowers that I did not even have uppers for.

IGotIt
11-02-2011, 15:09
I did anyways. After I assembled my first lower I started to assemble lowers that I did not even have uppers for.

Me too. I completed three, then bought uppers. Now I have 2 complete sets and a partial leftover for whatever comes along.

faceplant
11-02-2011, 18:18
What is a good quality lower parts kit. I got a couple sitting around begging for parts

M&P Shooter
11-02-2011, 21:43
What is a good quality lower parts kit. I got a couple sitting around begging for parts
I did research on LPK's and never found a bad word about Spikes. My lower and Enhanced Lower Parts Kit is Spikes.

txgunguy
11-08-2011, 14:39
Just finished my first build. Used a PSA lower built kit. All parts were separated nicely and they are good quality.

I used the vice grips and pliers taped with electrical tape. Didn't break the ears while putting in the trigger guard roll pin. I accidently put the hammer spring in backwards. I was watching a walkthrough and did it the way he did. The hammer immediately felt too light. Fixed that quick.

I only put one scratch on it on the bolt catch. Took about an hour and a half. I'm pretty thrilled!

eracer
11-08-2011, 14:43
IMO, it's going to get scratched eventually, so I don't make too much fuss about it.Yeah. Heck, I hand washed my new truck twice a week when I first got it. Not it's lucky if I wash this year's two-inch layer of love bug slaughter off before the end of summer.

eracer
11-08-2011, 14:44
I did research on LPK's and never found a bad word about Spikes. My lower and Enhanced Lower Parts Kit is Spikes.I just put a Spike's kit in mine newest build. No problems at all (although I never keep the OEM trigger.)

G23Adam
11-10-2011, 08:06
BRD is a rough sickness. I built one and now have a dozen.. :P