Cell phone saves fallen hunter [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone saves fallen hunter

Jeremy_K
11-02-2011, 06:33
I figured I'd pass on a story I heard on the local news this morning. A local bow hunter had fallen from his tree stand and was unable to speak or move. He was able to dial 911 from his cell and the rescue crews were able to find him just by him staying on the line. I'm a huge fan of wearing fall protection in a tree stand and this would have prevented a lot of his injuries. It's also a good idea to have a cell handy just in case.

John43
11-02-2011, 07:40
My brother (70yrs old) fell out of a treestand a few years ago and it almost killed him. He laid there a long time before his son in law came back to check on him. He was in the hospital a long time. Be careful out there.

Jeremy_K
11-02-2011, 09:06
I was in a class a few years ago for making landing zones for medevac choppers. They told us about a hunter who had fallen and called them directly. He crawled to the edge of a field where he told them they could land.

noway
11-05-2011, 11:36
fwiw

cellphones are great but not reliable. where I hunt I have a bar or no bar in most cases.

What would be better in a true life or dead encounter is a person emergency beacon. aka EPIRB

This would have better coverage and instant GPS telemetry for rescue and medivac personnels.

BK63
11-06-2011, 06:01
Bottom line, secure a harness before you ever even go up the tree. Let somebody know where you will be in case you don't come back. I've seen too many people fall out of trees. I know of guys who went up and stepped on stands that have been there for years and the wear from the weather cause them to come crashing down. Common sense goes a long way.