Glock 27 recoil [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock 27 recoil

xmanhockey7
11-02-2011, 20:27
Considering getting a Gen 4 Glock 27 what's the recoil like on it compared to a Glock 22 or Springfield XDm 3.8 compact .40? I don't want something that is going to be like the Ruger LCPs recoil and make double taps incredibly hard because of the recoil.

rick458
11-02-2011, 20:33
It is not bad, very controllable, (not as controllable as a G-22 but those are very smooth shooters)

sr975j
11-02-2011, 20:36
It is not bad, very controllable, (not as controllable as a G-22 but those are very smooth shooters)

^^exactly. very controllable with a decent grip. 27's are a joy to shoot. lots of firepower in a small package.

edit

SNAPPY!!! just kidding, its really not, i just wanted to say it before someone else did because i know "snappy" will be included in this thread.

Sam

IndyGunFreak
11-02-2011, 20:37
It's fairly stout in my opinion (but I've been called a recoil fairy before).

Personally for me, if there was any doubt, just step down to the 9mm, and get a 26. The 26 is the perfect size for the 9mm, IMO.

ViennaGambit
11-02-2011, 20:46
I was JUST in your same position.

Literally for the past 2 days I was debating between a 27 or 26 (I really wanted the 27), but, in the end I took the 26 home after shooting both.

I was much quicker getting back on target with the 26 for follow up shots and that counts more in my book than the negligible increase in stopping power...

With that said, I am pretty new to pistols in general, so if you have experience with .40S&W already, might be a different story for you.

I'd say definitely rent a 27 and 26 before you buy.

Sam Spade
11-02-2011, 20:48
Part of the issue is that there's less to hang on to. You can address that with a Pearce grip extender or similar. Otherwise, it does twist in the hand more. Not so much any more push, but yes, there's more torque.

xmanhockey7
11-02-2011, 20:54
Since I already have a Glock 22 I want to stick with the .40. I LOVE the feel of the Glock 23 Gen 4 but I kinda think the 27 would be the better choice. OC a Glock 22 and CC a Glock 27 in a shoulder rig. I might get a Sig 238 cuz I'll probably need a pocket gun this summer and into the fall for work reasons.

agent clark
11-02-2011, 21:00
Sam said it well, I have a 23 and my uncle has a 27. It flips more is all, if you get your muscle memory down, you can shoot the snot out of it. The grip is short, extenders work well.

sr975j
11-02-2011, 21:39
gap floor plates and talon grips ftw

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn106/sr975j/2011-09-29233805.jpg

Sam

RussP
11-02-2011, 22:53
Part of the issue is that there's less to hang on to. You can address that with a Pearce grip extender or similar. Otherwise, it does twist in the hand more. Not so much any more push, but yes, there's more torque.What Sam said. I carry with the Pearce grip extenders on my mags.

Like someone else said, just shoot it constantly until your muscles learn how you want to react to the torque.

I actually used shooting gloves at first to have a bit better grip. Of course, it was winter and I was wearing the gloves anyway. Those are gloves with a thinner leather on the finger pads.

A couple of my friends put Hogue grips on theirs. I liked shooting their pistols with the Hogues.

ETA: Just looked at the Hogue site. They have grips for Glocks, well... in pink. http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=114&products_id=6493

janice6
11-02-2011, 23:13
I have the G27 with a 9mm barrel and a .357 Sig barrel.

When I shot each caliber in the 27, I would be at a loss to tell the difference from muzzle flip or recoil.. They all felt the same.

I like mine!

HarleyGuy
11-03-2011, 00:00
I've got a G27.
Probably Gen 1 as I've had it for at least 12 years and the only mis-fires were definitely inferior/defective factory reloads.

IMO, a little more recoil than a G26 (9mm) but worth it.

As for adding mag extensions, if you're going to do this you may as well get a G23.
I have several extensions on extra mags but I always carry it loaded with a standard mag which makes it much easier to conceal. I've never noticed any difference in accuracy when firing it with the standard mag vs a mag with an extension.

fuzzy03cls
11-03-2011, 09:12
It's a bish. Don't let anyone tell you any different. The recoil will surprise you. However, you can learn to control it with practice. The GAP floorplates help control the gun. Buy them if you want to use your G27. I have a G27 & learned to shoot with it. My 1st gun. I blew through thousands of rounds to learn. I'm proficient at it. but I still am unable to get past 150 rds at a time before my hands fatigue.
My G22 gen 4 has less recoil by far & I can shoot all day & have done 600+ rounds in a class & asked for more.

Deaf Smith
11-03-2011, 18:32
I have 'em all. 26,27, and 33.

The 27 and 33 do kick a bit more but not a huge amount.

But... remember you need to be able to shoot one handed. And EITHER hand.

So make sure you can fire fast and accurate one handed with the .40 or .357 Sig in such small packages.

Deaf

kda
11-03-2011, 18:42
I agree. Fire one like you would be practicing for a day at the range and then decide. My shooting buddy got a .27 and doesn't shoot it much any more. Loves his 9mm G26 however. Ammo easier to find and cheaper too.

dingode
11-03-2011, 21:11
I carry a Sig 2340 and a g27. I've fired both a g19 & 26. To me the 9mm is much snappier than the .40sw. To me the .40 is a forceful push back, not a snap.

Like others have said, shoot both if possible, buy the one you like. Doing that saved me from buying a Xdm. I love the look of the xd line but the ergonomics just didn't work for me. I still want one though when the money allows.

ironmike86
11-03-2011, 22:26
Since you have the G22 the G27 would match well. Shoots and carries well also. You can always change barrels. Thats what make the glock 40's nice

zbusdriver
11-04-2011, 08:25
Glock 27 recoil: a nonevent

Odawgp
11-04-2011, 09:55
27 recoil is more than manageable

I wish my 35 tracked as flat and cycled as fast as my 27 does

Steve in Az
11-04-2011, 10:03
I'm a regular .44magnum shooter (4 5/8" barrel), and have shot .40 for a long time; I found the Glock 23 to be pretty sharp in recoil. While it's not "flinch" inducing, it wasn't much fun after about 180rds.

OctoberRust
11-04-2011, 13:07
I've got a G27.
Probably Gen 1 as I've had it for at least 12 years and the only mis-fires were definitely inferior/defective factory reloads.

IMO, a little more recoil than a G26 (9mm) but worth it.

As for adding mag extensions, if you're going to do this you may as well get a G23.
I have several extensions on extra mags but I always carry it loaded with a standard mag which makes it much easier to conceal. I've never noticed any difference in accuracy when firing it with the standard mag vs a mag with an extension.

I don't think a gen 1 glock 27 exists....

RobG
11-04-2011, 14:22
I bought a Gen4 G27 last month and noticed the recoil was more harsh than my Gen4 G23 and my accuracy wasn't close to my 23(shooting WWB 180gr target ammo and 1 box of Gold Dot 180gr), but after my third trip to the range I'm shooting it almost as well as my 23. I just need to get used to it.

I've only put about 350 rounds thru it, but so far it's been flawless...no malfunctions of any kind and no eratic ejections.

No regrets with purchasing it.

f350fiver
11-04-2011, 14:26
I have been able to shoot several and prefer a grip extention. Either way the shot well for me with defensive rounds. I wanted the full effect to determine if I wanted to get one. It will be my next Glock followed by a G20.

Sam Spade
11-04-2011, 14:39

It doesn't. Earliest is a "Gen 2.5", with serial numbers down in the B??-### range.

Russell Speir
11-04-2011, 21:09
I had both a 27 and a 23, I've since sold the 27 (needed $). I couldn't tell much difference in recoil between the two. I assumed it was due to the dual recoil spring.

racer88
11-05-2011, 13:18
I have a G23 and a G27. G23 was bought for HD. G27 for EDC. I like them both very much. I do not find the recoil to be an issue with the G27, and I'm not a "big" guy.

I also do not find the pinky hanging off the end an issue. I just curl my pinky finger under the magazine floor plate.

I did not find GAP plates to be of any help, nor were they a hindrance. I did find the GAP plate dug into my side carrying IWB (CBST holster), so I removed the GAP on the carry magazine. I kept the GAP plate on my extra magazine, as it makes it easy to draw from the pocket magazine holster (DeSantis mag-packer).

I really like my G27 and think of is as a nearly ideal EDC. Relatively compact. Decent firepower and capacity.

wnr700
11-05-2011, 16:53
It's fairly stout in my opinion (but I've been called a recoil fairy before).

Personally for me, if there was any doubt, just step down to the 9mm, and get a 26. The 26 is the perfect size for the 9mm, IMO.

:agree:

I borrowed my brothers G27 for the CCW test. Stout is the exact description I would give it. Aggravated my shoulder, but my only experience had been Model 66 S+W. Recently the G36 pounded my thumb joint. For me the Model 26 is my sweet spot. Should have never sold the first one... or the Model 66 for that matter.

ADK_40GLKr
11-08-2011, 07:15
Considering getting a Gen 4 Glock 27 what's the recoil like on it compared to a Glock 22 or Springfield XDm 3.8 compact .40? I don't want something that is going to be like the Ruger LCPs recoil and make double taps incredibly hard because of the recoil.

I never considered the G27 recoil a problem.

Then I shot a .22LR for a week and went back to my .40. I thought the gun was going to jump out of my hand! But I probably would have felt the same about a 9mm at that point.

I guess it all depends on what you condition yourself to.

Recovery time is relative. It is slower trying to hit a 2" bullseye at 25 yards vs an 8" x 11" sheet at 25 feet! So the .40 might require a little more range time!

txgunguy
11-11-2011, 09:53
27 recoil is more than manageable

I wish my 35 tracked as flat and cycled as fast as my 27 does

What does that mean?

The 27 isn't hard to shoot. Recoil might intimidate someone without shooting experience. Perceived recoil with the 22 is less because of the longer grip. The 27 has less recoil than my LCP in my opinion.

txgunguy
11-11-2011, 09:55
:agree:

I borrowed my brothers G27 for the CCW test. Stout is the exact description I would give it. Aggravated my shoulder, but my only experience had been Model 66 S+W. Recently the G36 pounded my thumb joint. For me the Model 26 is my sweet spot. Should have never sold the first one... or the Model 66 for that matter.

You're doing it wrong! :tongueout:

mikegun
11-11-2011, 11:30
I have and carry a G23 and a G27, I recently put 9mm lone wolf barrels in both guns,for me it makes a big differance in accuracy and in double tapping, i just could not do that well with the 40 cal...

fastbolt
11-11-2011, 13:54
You really ought to go out and try to find one at a local range to try out. Try it with some different factory ammunition, especially the type you envision using if you buy one.

Felt recoil is very subjective.

Yes, the .40's produce more recoil forces, which can result in more slide velocity, so there's often more potential for muzzle rise/whip and some increased torque effect compared to a similar 9mm pistol.

Some folks claim they feel no difference when shooting similarly sized 9's & .40's. Others claim to notice a distinct difference. It likely varies for each shooter, and can be influenced by the different loads being used in each caliber.

For the most part, over the years of watching a fair number of different shooters (of different skill levels, abilities & experience) shooting both G26's & G27's, most of them have reported feeling more recoil when shooting the G27's (and that's generally been when using either 165gr or 180gr duty ammunition in the G27's at different times, as well as standard pressure, +P and +P+ loads in the G26's).

Personally, I find the G27 to exhibit more felt recoil than either the G22 or G23. Not terribly surprising.

However, proper training and frequent proper practice still makes the G27 a smallish .40 which can be used with excellent accuracy and controllability, even when rapid shot strings are required for demanding course-of-fire.

Will everybody feel the same way? I wouldn't expect so. That's just how I tend to feel about it.

Also, the more I shoot my G27, the better I tend to do with my G26's. ;)

Try one and decide for yourself ... just like the rest of us.

huggytree
11-11-2011, 14:21
i shot my G27 for the first time yesterday....the recoil is a bit harsh....definitely more than my G35........after about 20 rounds you start to feel the punishment in your hands, by 100 rounds my hands had a minor shake....id compare it to when i shoot my 44 mag..the difference being that the .44 lifts while the .40 is more of just a shock or push back....i had no issues recovering and shooting the same target again and again...

if your worried about it then get a G26....the shock of the G27 is more than i expected, but its something you can deal with....i had no issues with the grip...my pinky hanging off didnt bother me.

i did find the gun a bit less accurate than my other Glocks though....at 25 yards standing w/o leaning on anything the best id expect is just to hit paper....from what i saw there wont be a nice grouping....or maybe i just need to get used to the gun...

would i buy it again? probably

ironmike86
11-11-2011, 21:16
I never had a problem .But the more I shoot with my G27 the easier it. Maybe the hand strenghts or gets use to the recoil

happyguy
11-12-2011, 03:55
Since I already have a Glock 22 I want to stick with the .40. I LOVE the feel of the Glock 23 Gen 4 but I kinda think the 27 would be the better choice. OC a Glock 22 and CC a Glock 27 in a shoulder rig. I might get a Sig 238 cuz I'll probably need a pocket gun this summer and into the fall for work reasons.

I think you just answered your own question. If there is a possibility that you will carry the new gun as a BUG I would go with the G27.

I often pair my G26 with my G19 and when I carry the G26 as a primary I carry a G19 magazine as a spare.

I have shot the G27 and while the recoil is stout, it is not unmanageable.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

cableguy
11-12-2011, 08:18
i shot my G27 for the first time yesterday....

i did find the gun a bit less accurate than my other Glocks though....at 25 yards standing w/o leaning on anything the best id expect is just to hit paper....from what i saw there wont be a nice grouping....or maybe i just need to get used to the gun...

Did you get a magazine finger grip extension? I found it made a huge difference in the feel of my G27. From the trigger to the accuracy. I was surprised. Very much worth it.

sns3guppy
11-12-2011, 15:59
The G27 is like any other handgun. It goes bang, there's a little movement, and something strikes downrange. If you're thinking about the issue of recoil, then you're preparing yourself to flinch. If you're going to flinch, it doesn't matter what you're firing, because the problem is you, not the firearm.

Doubletaps are a function of trigger control and timing, not recoil.

Get accustomed to the weapon, and it doesn't matter what you're shooting. The bottom line is you, not the firearm.

xmanhockey7
11-12-2011, 20:54
Well I went to a local gun store and shot the Glock 27 gen 4 and Sig 238. Loved them both. The 27 is a great gun and shoots a lot like a full size gun.

happyguy
11-13-2011, 03:17
You really ought to go out and try to find one at a local range to try out. Try it with some different factory ammunition, especially the type you envision using if you buy one.

Felt recoil is very subjective.

Yes, the .40's produce more recoil forces, which can result in more slide velocity, so there's often more potential for muzzle rise/whip and some increased torque effect compared to a similar 9mm pistol.

Some folks claim they feel no difference when shooting similarly sized 9's & .40's. Others claim to notice a distinct difference. It likely varies for each shooter, and can be influenced by the different loads being used in each caliber.

For the most part, over the years of watching a fair number of different shooters (of different skill levels, abilities & experience) shooting both G26's & G27's, most of them have reported feeling more recoil when shooting the G27's (and that's generally been when using either 165gr or 180gr duty ammunition in the G27's at different times, as well as standard pressure, +P and +P+ loads in the G26's).

Personally, I find the G27 to exhibit more felt recoil than either the G22 or G23. Not terribly surprising.

However, proper training and frequent proper practice still makes the G27 a smallish .40 which can be used with excellent accuracy and controllability, even when rapid shot strings are required for demanding course-of-fire.

Will everybody feel the same way? I wouldn't expect so. That's just how I tend to feel about it.

Also, the more I shoot my G27, the better I tend to do with my G26's. ;)

Try one and decide for yourself ... just like the rest of us.

Another great post by Fastbolt. :wavey:

If push came to shove I don't think a shooter would notice the difference between the G26 and G27 in a defensive situation.

The typical range trip for me wouldn't make much difference either as I normally shoot a hundred rounds or so each time.

But if you go to one of those schools where you shoot 500 to 1000 rounds over the course of a day or three most people would be wishing they brought a G26.

Just my opinion though.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

Deaf Smith
11-13-2011, 16:15
I've got the 26, 27, and 33.

The 26 uses +p+ Winchester 127s.

The 27 uses T series 155s.

The 33 uses Speer Gold Dot 125s.

All three have factory night sights, NY-1 triggers & 3.5lb connectors, and all three will do head shots consistently at 25 yards with the above loads by me. Yes I spent some time on the range with a sight tool and got all three of them to shoot dead on at 25 yards.

Recoil?

Yes the 27 does recoil a bit more than the 26. So does the 33, but then if you do the math, that is Mass X velocity = Mass x velocity and you will see it's obvious the 27 and 33 would kick a bit more.

And the 33 has a bit more blast to (but then it is 5000 CUP more than the .40 so small wonder, right?)

All three the above loads kick more than Wal-mart 9mm FMJ stuff, no shock there either.

Can the .40 be controlled? Sure! It is not like, say, a scandium .357 magnum. Now I would not give a new shooter a 27 or 33 for their first gun, but any experiences shooter can handle either one.

And guys, I like the subcompact Glocks so much I just about never use my 23 or 32 or even 17 nowdays. Use the 26 in IDPA matches to.

Which do I recommend? Any of the three! You can pick a more milder kicking gun that uses less expensive ammo (9mm Glock 26), .40 bore and heavier bullets (Glock 27 in .40 S&W), or almost .357 Magnum power and penetration (Glock 33 in .357 SIG.)

Nice thing about having all three as well as a AACK .22 unit is if there is another ammo shortage, I'll be fine.

Deaf

GlockOnBoard
11-15-2011, 09:18
IMO it is very reasonable and controllable. The 27 fits my hand perfectly.

BleedNOrange
11-15-2011, 09:27
kick is decent. There is nothing to hold onto if you have bigger hands and an extension kinda defeats the purpose. Especially in my case for ankle carry. I find that sometimes my thumb hits the slide catch and causes it to push up and leave the slide open.

Nifer
11-15-2011, 15:44
I recenlty had the same choice and went with the 27. One, I liked the 40 for self defense. Two, for $300, I can get a 9mm barrel, .357 sig barrel, and a couple of 9mm mags to have all three options. I like to have those choices.

fastbolt
11-17-2011, 12:36
Another great post by Fastbolt. :wavey:
Hey, thanks. :wavey:

If push came to shove I don't think a shooter would notice the difference between the G26 and G27 in a defensive situation.

Maybe not. But then again, folks can be different from each other.

The comment I'd offer is based more on what I've seen happen with the typical wide range of skillset & experience I've seen among LE shooters over the years ...

Less experienced shooters ... which can include those who only shoot when it's mandated, for qualification ... may not feel they "notice" the difference in felt recoil when shooting on a regular range, paying more attention to their targets and less attention to "feeling" the gun, but I've seen a lot of them suffer a noticeable loss when it came to controllability & practical accuracy while shooting the harder recoiling little .40's instead of the 9's. Pushing them in more demanding courses-of-fire can make this potential difference even more noticeable at times.

Followup shots seemed especially more likely to go off target, either too high (yanking the trigger during the harder recoil of the 'initial shot', or too low (unconsciously fighting the recoil they just felt with the first shot, depressing the muzzle and shooting too low with the next shot, or shots).

Other folks seemed to find themselves slowing down to deal with the recoil (compared to when they were shooting the 9's).

Sure, being at close range often makes this less noticeable for some folks, but I've seen them appear absolutely surprised and baffled after missing shots at 3-5 yards with the harder recoiling .40's (after having switched over in recent years from 9's, but not having done much in the way of extra practice to become accustomed and skilled with the .40's).

Better to discover the difference in recoil forces (actual and perceived) on the range ... where it can be addressed and steps taken to resolve any individual problems ... instead of being surprised off the range. ;)

comsubin61
11-17-2011, 12:43

Nope! I have one of the earliest production and it is a 2.5 gen. Manufactured in 2/96. They were introduced 6/96. I think the earliest manufacturing date is late 95.

ironmike86
11-17-2011, 15:10
I think ppl cal the G27gen one when it was the first issue that came out. When it was really a Gen3 or maybe 2.5, Dunno. I still have mine that I got when it first came out. Had to wait weeks for it.PPl were buying them up.