Baby Formula? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Baby Formula?

GMAN12
11-03-2011, 05:44
I am not LEO. I have a police scanner and I keep hearing about karts of baby formula being shoplifted, at first I felt bad (The economy is so bad people have to steal the formula to feed their kids) Then I found out, they use it to make drugs of some kind. Anyone konw what? or has anyone else heard of this?

Captain Steinbrenner
11-03-2011, 06:21
Baby formula supply for a month can run up to $700, I see people buying "droped off the truck" formula half price easely. :whistling:
I was stunned when a friend told me it was that expensive. :wow:

jellis11
11-03-2011, 07:05
Just got a can of formula on the way home from work this morning. $30!!! Crazy. The stuff doesn't last long at all, either. E only gets two bottles a day now but when he was little after wifey went back to work and no more bo*b*e milk he would pound a can in three days.

As far as making drugs... That's a wow to me!

GMAN12
11-03-2011, 08:48
Our local police followed a car out of meijers where they supposedly stole some, and the LEO said he could tell they were mixing it in the back seat but he had no PC to stop them. I'm just going by what I hear on the scanner.

DaBigBR
11-03-2011, 08:54
Our local police followed a car out of meijers where they supposedly stole some, and the LEO said he could tell they were mixing it in the back seat but he had no PC to stop them. I'm just going by what I hear on the scanner.

Sounds like somebody needs to brush up on his search and seizure law. If he had reasonable, articulable suspicion that a crime had been committed, he could have, and should have stopped the car. That's proactive police work. (Not YOUR fault, obviously)

RocPO
11-03-2011, 10:01
Not to mention that if you REALLY wanted to pull over a vehicle, there is some obscure law that they're probably breaking.

rookie1
11-03-2011, 10:21
Not to mention that if you REALLY wanted to pull over a vehicle, there is some obscure law that they're probably breaking.

There always is.

Kadetklapp
11-03-2011, 10:26

Baby Meff!!! It's like a peanut butta and crack sammich!! :rofl:

But seriously, day before yesterday a certified RN walked out of our local Wal-Fart with $20 worth of frozen pizza and a onesie without paying. She was easy to catch by description of her brand new Chrysler minivan and RN "Be a Nurse :) LOL" license plate. When asked by the officer she stated that she couldn't afford to feed and clothe her three kids on her $55,000 a year salary as an RN :upeyes:

AngryBassets
11-03-2011, 10:43
Baby formula is a huge item in the ghetto/poor areas. Our Walmarts and drug stores get HIT. Just two days ago, we arrested a group who had hit BJ's Wholesale (like a Costco) to the tune of almost a half million $ in the mid atlantic region using fake credit cards to buy large amounts of baby formula.

The usual incident involves the junkies stealing a tub, taking it to a bodega in Camden where they sell it for $.25 on the dollar, then going around the corner to buy dope.

Sharky7
11-03-2011, 12:47
Baby formula is a huge item in the ghetto/poor areas. Our Walmarts and drug stores get HIT. Just two days ago, we arrested a group who had hit BJ's Wholesale (like a Costco) to the tune of almost a half million $ in the mid atlantic region using fake credit cards to buy large amounts of baby formula.

The usual incident involves the junkies stealing a tub, taking it to a bodega in Camden where they sell it for $.25 on the dollar, then going around the corner to buy dope.

Yep, what he said.

Baby formula is not used for drugs. I've never seen it used as a cut either in any drugs. It is though a common item to fence (sell on black market). Alcohol, razor blades, DVD's, baby formula, and a handful of others are all common items to steal and then resell to dirty shops or a fencing operation.

A $50 bottle of Absolute vodka can be resold to a small dirty liquor store for $20. That money is usually used then to buy drugs.

Dormin and Actifed are very common ingrediants in heroin. Baking soda, sugar, and lidocaine are big cuts for cocaine. Dealers will use a "cut" to make 1 gram of the drug into 2 grams by adding "cuts" or the street term "stepping on it." That is done to make more money, but dormin also is basically benadryl so it helps stop the itching of heroin and causes drowsiness to make you believe the dope is stronger.

Sharky7
11-03-2011, 12:53

Retail thievin' and using drugs go hand in hand. Could be the officer saw them preparing heroin or smoking a crack pipe in the car as they were leaving after the store employees saw them steal the items.

GMAN12
11-04-2011, 06:20
Thanks for the info guys, They are stealing a boatload of it around here, I hear about it almost every day.

Patchman
11-04-2011, 17:27
All over the world, baby formula is expensive and/or not always available. In plenty of countries (especially 3rd world countries) many mothers are diluting formulas with too much water, trying to make their supply last longer. But resulting with mal- or under- nourished babies.

So we should at least be thankful that in this country, stores have a constant and sufficient supply of baby formulas on the shelves to be stolen.

Sharky7
11-04-2011, 17:52
Here's a recent shooting from Chicago's South side involving a dirty store that was purchasing stolen merchandise.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-11-03/news/ct-met-four-people-killed-2-20111104_1_convenience-store-security-guard-gunmen

Store owners was buying stolen merchandise from the local hoodrats to sell in his store. Sounds like owners kept moving up and up the chain buying from the larger fences and gangs....dispute happened over payment. 6 people shot, 4 of them dead.

When you are shopping in some of your grocery stores, look for the stickers that say "For sale only in _____. If found for sale in another store, please call 1800-______" Those are put on for this whole black market of retail thieves, mostly drug addicted scum. Some of the drug addicts sell themselves, but it is also very common for gangs to act as fences. The gangs will tell the addicts what they want (brands, quantity, type, etc). Gangs then sell the stolen merchandise they get from the addicts to the dirty stores out of stash houses or warehouses.

The Fist Of Goodness
11-04-2011, 19:36

Were they Middle Eastern? We were briefed last year on certain Islamic groups that were big into these schemes to fund their operations.

WarCry
11-04-2011, 19:52
When my kid was on formula, we used the pre-mixed stuff (no cheaper, just more convenient). I grabbed the wrong bottles one day and didn't realize it until I got home. It was like an act of Congress was needed to get the EXCHANGED.

They said they problem THEY faced (this was a Walmart in middle Georgia) was that people would buy them with WIC/Foodstamps/whatever, then try to return them for cash. That's pretty....I mean, if you HAVE WIC, then you obviously have a kid that the stuff is NEEDED for, right?

It never ceases to amaze me the crap people can/will do.

Denied
11-04-2011, 19:58
Baby formula is use as a filler to cut (dilute) both meth and cocaine.

RetailNinja
11-04-2011, 21:20
Before I was a cop you can probably guess what I did.

I was very lucky my store was not off a major interstate. Several other Asset Protection managers in my area would have weekly stories of gypsy perpetrated baby formula ripoffs or gypsies trying to break in to the safe. I was on the look out for dirty white people traveling in groups when working in these stores.

Hack
11-04-2011, 21:24
A lot of people stealing that stuff is more likely than not eligible for the WIC program, but you have illegals who are not. Then there are those who just don't give a crap.

collim1
11-05-2011, 04:49

Yup, I doubt there is any type of drug you could make with it, but I have seen it used as currency.

Its no different than when they sell their EBT/WIC's for $.50 on the dollar to go buy dope.

Bren
11-05-2011, 07:21
she couldn't afford to feed and clothe her three kids on her $55,000 a year salary as an RN :upeyes:

Seems like before she had kids was the time to figure that out. I was just wodnering if Jellis11's son will cost less than $10 a day to feed when he gets older.

When my kid was on formula, we used the pre-mixed stuff (no cheaper, just more convenient). I grabbed the wrong bottles one day and didn't realize it until I got home. It was like an act of Congress was needed to get the EXCHANGED.

They said they problem THEY faced (this was a Walmart in middle Georgia) was that people would buy them with WIC/Foodstamps/whatever, then try to return them for cash. That's pretty....I mean, if you HAVE WIC, then you obviously have a kid that the stuff is NEEDED for, right?

It never ceases to amaze me the crap people can/will do.

So Walmart sells baby formula that has been sold, taken out of the store and returned? Or do they just throw it away if you get the wrong one and return it?

steveksux
11-05-2011, 07:30
Am I the only one that saw "Baby Formula" and thought "hmm, take 1 part ugly female, 1 part loser male, mix 1 quart of Jim Beam, and shake vigorously for 2 minutes.... voila! you have a baby!"

Randy

WarCry
11-05-2011, 08:09
So Walmart sells baby formula that has been sold, taken out of the store and returned? Or do they just throw it away if you get the wrong one and return it?

I don't know what they did with it after I returned it, but I assume they sold it. There were printed bands and foil safety seals on it to indicate tampering, but I honestly couldn't say. I was more worried about getting the right food in my kids belly at that point in time.

Newcop761
11-05-2011, 12:52
http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Massive-baby-formula-theft-ring-busted-in-Gresham-111997869.html
These people stole $2.5 Million worth of baby formula from Safeway.

http://www2.highlandstoday.com/content/2009/mar/06/twenty-one-people-arrested-baby-formual-theft-rign/
Another $2.5 Million worth in Florida\

Stolen baby formula financing terrorism:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-06-28-baby-formula_x.htm
$22 Million dollars worth of stolen formula sold to send $11 million to terrorist groups in the middle east.

Yeah, it's an issue.

DoogieHowser
11-05-2011, 22:42
Damn people my wife has a milking song she sings when she pumps maybe people should try that! Only need an extra 500 calories a day, much cheaper.