A question about revolvers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : A question about revolvers

circa02
11-03-2011, 10:05
Does anyone here know of any LEO who uses a revolver as a primary sidearm? I know that there's a rule in New York that officers who joined prior to 1993 have permission to carry them as primaries, so I assume there are some who are out there.

AngryBassets
11-03-2011, 10:12
I believe Philadelphia has a similar rule. And I though it was 1997, not 1993. Dunno.

texmex
11-03-2011, 12:30
I do. Smith & Wesson 627 Pro (8 shot 357 Magnum). When I'm on administrative duty, I sometimes carry a Smith & Wesson Model 60 3 inch ( 5 shot 357 Magnum) with a Ruger LCR (5 shot 357 Magnum) as a backup. I work in uniform. I do civil enforcment and environmental enforcement plus whatever else I can get into. My last OIS was in February but I was shooting an Ar-15.

For me, the revolver is faster to get into action for the first shot. It is very reliable. It shoots where I am looking. I have never fired more than 8 rounds in an engagement, even when I had more rounds available as with the carbine. I do have a Beta mag for the AR. It's better to have the rounds and not need them than to need the rounds and not have them.

A revolver is not for everbody but it works for me. I have tried Glocks and Sigs and 1911s. Always wind up back to the revolver.

PuroMexicano
11-03-2011, 12:56
I do. Smith & Wesson 627 Pro (8 shot 357 Magnum). When I'm on administrative duty, I sometimes carry a Smith & Wesson Model 60 3 inch ( 5 shot 357 Magnum) with a Ruger LCR (5 shot 357 Magnum) as a backup. I work in uniform. I do civil enforcment and environmental enforcement plus whatever else I can get into. My last OIS was in February but I was shooting an Ar-15.

For me, the revolver is faster to get into action for the first shot. It is very reliable. It shoots where I am looking. I have never fired more than 8 rounds in an engagement, even when I had more rounds available as with the carbine. I do have a Beta mag for the AR. It's better to have the rounds and not need them than to need the rounds and not have them.

A revolver is not for everbody but it works for me. I have tried Glocks and Sigs and 1911s. Always wind up back to the revolver.

Damn, :wow::wow:

nitesite10mm
11-03-2011, 14:10
Damn, :wow::wow:

Thata's what I was thinking as I read that!

I like to occasionally switch up duty sidearms. 1911, GLOCK34, GLOCK22

I would absolutely add a .357 Magnum revolver to the stable if I could find a good secure holster and still have some draw speed. My dept SOP does allow for .357 Magnum carry although I don't think anyone has for some time.

Texmex, what are you wearing for a holster? And I know what you mean about shootability with a wheelgun. I just seem to take to it really well.

collim1
11-03-2011, 14:57
I haven't seen one in a long time except for a few near retirement investigators/admin carrying a snubby.

I personally would feel fine with a revolver on duty. I am a revolver guy, and shoot a revolver significantly better than a semi-auto (though not a bad shot with either). I would carry a 686+ and three speed loaders in a heartbeat if given the chance.

Some agree with me, and some think I am insane, but I would not feel outgunned with this setup.

texmex
11-03-2011, 15:01
I am using a Don Hume nylon 738 thumb break holster that I bought new about ten years ago. It has held up very well. I have quite a few N frame holsters that I have acquired over the years. Most of them are leather since they pre-date the nylon era. I have a clarino Safariland 070 holster that I have never used. It is an extremely tight fit and would need some breaking in to actually use it. I dig through used holster bins at gun shows and gun shops and occasionally find an N frame holster. Most of them are level one. Most of them I paid $10-$15 for. I did purchase a Sidearmour Kydex holster a couple of years ago. Duty gear for revolvers is becoming less common. I use the shortest mace cases for speed loader cases. Each one holds two speed loaders stacked one on top of the other.

CAcop
11-03-2011, 15:04
In uniform I haven't seen a cop packing a revolver in person since 1997 when I was at UC Berkeley and saw one of their cops with some sort of K frame in a holster.

Our admin and dicks will carry J frames around the office maybe out and about when they aren't planning on doing anything. Yeah, I know.

Cochese
11-03-2011, 15:25
Texmex, I'd love to ride with you one day.

That is all.

CAcop
11-03-2011, 15:37
Texmex, I'd love to ride with you one day.

That is all.

You okay with riding in the back?

Because his brass balls are riding shotgun.

Cochese
11-03-2011, 15:37
I'm gonna have to be, I reckon. :supergrin:

Bruce M
11-03-2011, 16:05
There are people here in uniform who still carry a revolver. When we transitioned to pistols we bought our own. It was not mandatory to transition. Now new hires are issued a G17 although I am not anticipating any new hiring for a while.

msu_grad_121
11-03-2011, 16:14
Last uniformed officer I saw carrying a wheelgun has from Detroit, maybe 5 years ago, and had obviously been grandfathered in on it. It's funny, cuz he started by giving me grief about my Glock, saying, "Is that one of them sissy plastic pistols?" To which I replied "I dunno, is that one of them ones that loads from the front?" :supergrin:

Buddies ever since! :rofl:

Denied
11-03-2011, 16:14
Don't know anyone in my neck of the woods (SW Ohio) who still carries a wheel gun, I did LEOSA qualifications a few weeks ago and of the 15 or so retired folks there was only one using a revolver.

fla2760
11-03-2011, 17:43
I make sure that I shoot the LEOSA qualification course every year with my Smith 642 and my G27. If I had to pick one to qualify with it would be a revolver. In that case the 642 would be a reload for my SP 101 3".

steveksux
11-03-2011, 17:47
I have never fired more than 8 rounds in an engagement, even when I had more rounds available as with the carbine.Well, we've heard your side of the story, I'd like to hear what your various fiance's have to say... :tongueout::rofl:

Randy

bnkrtstk
11-03-2011, 17:56
I have seen a few Philly PD officers carrying them. In fact there was a good amount of white shirts at the Hero Thrill Show packing a wheelgun.

texmex
11-03-2011, 19:55
Well, we've heard your side of the story, I'd like to hear what your various fiance's have to say... :tongueout::rofl:

Randy

Now that's funny.

I appreciate all the kind comments. A few years ago, I attended a tactical pistol course at a neighboring police department. It is an excellent week long course and includes everything from shooting seated in a patrol car to shooting at night and out to 70 yards. On the first day, the instructors were sceptical that the course could be completed successfully with a revolver. On the last day, they were trying to remember why they switched to semi-autos.

circa02
11-03-2011, 20:31
Now that's funny.

I appreciate all the kind comments. A few years ago, I attemded a tactical pistol course at a neighboring police department. It is an ecellent week long course and includes everything from shooting seated in a patrol car to shooting at night and out to 70 yards. On the first day, the instructors were sceptical that the course could be completed successfully with a revolver. On the last day, they were trying to remember why they switched to semi-autos.

Old school rules, huh? :)

fastbolt
11-04-2011, 02:19
I do enjoy coming across the occasional revolver thread.

To answer the question, though, I saw a college police chief and ranking officer (Lt?) wearing blued S&W revolvers several years ago when attending an art fair.

I still miss the days when we carried revolvers. Yes, they were heavier, only had 6 rounds and were marginally slower to reload.

It's just that I miss when cops were trained to develop their foundation skillset using DA revolvers.

I'd also have felt comfortable returning to carrying a .357 Magnum revolver on-duty, although given the opportunity I'd have switched to the 686 Plus or one of the newer N-frame 8-shot revolvers. That way I could have similar capacity to my 1911's as well as a DA revolver. ;)

I still do a lot of revolver shooting when working as an instructor, although the bulk of it is generally done with one of my several 5-shot .38's & .357's. The medium-framed .357's and large-framed .44's see less range time, but every time I bring one or another through the range I remember why I liked carrying them when I was a younger cop.

I still chuckle when I think back to one of the times when I let one of the other instructors shoot one of my .44's. He got this wistful expression and said he really ought to get his 4" M29 out and bring it to the range (he used to carry it when he worked motors).

CJStudent
11-04-2011, 03:54
KY Dept of Corrections still issues Ruger GP-100s and Service Sixes. Not bad guns. They only allow .38+P loads, though. Some facilities don't issue any reloads, either.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

fastbolt
11-04-2011, 13:40
I forgot to mention that before my friend retired from CA's CDC, he and the other CO's at his prison were issued S&W revolvers chambered in .38 S&W Special. They were talking about transitioning to .40's for a while but the money apparently dried up.

Ajon412
11-04-2011, 14:10
I use the shortest mace cases for speed loader cases. Each one holds two speed loaders stacked one on top of the other.

That's an OUTSTANDING idea..:thumbsup:... What size speed loaders do you use (K,L,N Frame) that will fit in the OC cases?

razdog76
11-04-2011, 14:46
CALEA prevents anyone outside the jail from carrying a revolver.

One one of the transport Deputies still carries his issued 686 every day while doing transports, along with a jail Sergeant, and at least one other jail Deputy.

Per policy, it is loaded with .38 special. There are many approved duty calibers, but none of them have magnum in the name.:upeyes:

I use the shortest mace cases for speed loader cases. Each one holds two speed loaders stacked one on top of the other.

Fantastic idea! I still take my 6" S&W 19 out to play with my bodyguard.:supergrin:

WarCry
11-04-2011, 15:19
For me, the revolver is faster to get into action for the first shot.

This not a knock, especially since I'm not even a cop, but I do have a question about this. I'm not sure I understand how this can be faster than a chambered Glock since there's no external safety. Glocks are Draw, Point, Click.

Again, I'm not questioning your preferences or trying to say "get with it, old timer!" or anything that dumb. I'm honestly curious.

SAR
11-04-2011, 15:35
I still carry a S&W .38 caliber Model 67 in a Hoyt breakfront holster on occasion. Not because of some misguided belief that it is somehow faster or better than a semi-auto, but more because *I* can. No one hired after about 1991 on my agency was issued a revolver, nor that they carry them, even if they wanted to.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee297/bobmwr/FIREARMS/c56263ec.jpg

texmex
11-04-2011, 15:45
The mace cases I use are Uncle Mikes. They hold two N frame 44 caliber speedloaders or three 45 ACP full moon clips. To hold two N frame 8 shot 357speedloaders, I had to take the plastic insert out. The 8 shot speed loaders are made by 5 Star Firearms. I have 4 pouches on my duty belt holding 8 eight round speed loaders.

SergeantC
11-04-2011, 16:10
Last year, in Junction City, KS, I saw a Geary County Deputy Sheriff carrying what I think was a stainless steel K-frame.

razdog76
11-04-2011, 16:57
I think the Ohio department of Corrections still carries revolvers too. Revolvers for correctional transports make a lot of sense.

blueiron
11-04-2011, 18:29
When I went to the Firearms Instructor course at HIDTA in Tucson, I had to have a revolver to complete that portion of the course. I had a S&W model 14 with a 6 inch barrel and an old LAPD breakfront holster. Ammo was the old 158 grain SWC lead round.

Everyone laughed at me and called me Officer Malloy. Then, we went to the line at 25 yards and I cleaned the course with perfect scores every time. Even at 50 yards, I beat all comers.

I have a LOT of respect for the LAPD/LASO guys that carried these rigs back in the day.

Laugh at revolvers all you want. Just hope the person shooting one is on your side when the shooting starts. They work well.

fastbolt
11-04-2011, 18:48
When I went to the Firearms Instructor course at HIDTA in Tucson, I had to have a revolver to complete that portion of the course. I had a S&W model 14 with a 6 inch barrel and an old LAPD breakfront holster. Ammo was the old 158 grain SWC lead round.

Everyone laughed at me and called me Officer Malloy. Then, we went to the line at 25 yards and I cleaned the course with perfect scores every time. Even at 50 yards, I beat all comers.

I have a LOT of respect for the LAPD/LASO guys that carried these rigs back in the day.

Laugh at revolvers all you want. Just hope the person shooting one is on your side when the shooting starts. They work well.

Yep, when going through a couple of courses over the years as revolvers were on the general decline, the guys showing up with revolvers always received some good-natured ribbing ... at first. ;)

CAcop
11-04-2011, 19:52
This not a knock, especially since I'm not even a cop, but I do have a question about this. I'm not sure I understand how this can be faster than a chambered Glock since there's no external safety. Glocks are Draw, Point, Click.

Again, I'm not questioning your preferences or trying to say "get with it, old timer!" or anything that dumb. I'm honestly curious.

I think it has to do with the cylinder big larger than they barrel so once you clear the cylinder from the barrel there is no friction.

Slab sided auto tend to have a lot of friction the whole draw out. I have had to spray the crap out of my 1911 holster with silicone to get it to where it is today. The Sig and Glocks I carried before weren't much better, especially when lights were attached.

I have a 3" M66 that I carry off duty from time to time. The IWB holster I have for it is lightening fast. I think it beats just about any holster/gun combo I have.

Once my new house's garage gets decluttered I am going to set up a progressive press and churn out several hundred rounds of .38/.357 one rainy day. Then shoot the piss out of my revolvers.

fastbolt
11-04-2011, 20:08
Then shoot the piss out of my revolvers.

Whoa ...

Easier to clean it out than shoot it out.

What kind of holster did you say you were using? :whistling:

Sorry. Couldn't resist. :rofl:

I also miss my Hoyt holster for my service revolver. Fast.

texmex
11-05-2011, 01:31
The revolver just fits my hand better. When I grab it and pull it from the holster, it points where I am looking. I might could fire a shot as fast from a Glock, but my accuracy is much better with the revolver. I seem to be able to grasp the revolver grip the same way every time. With the Glock or the 1911 I seem to be adjusting my hand as I'm coming up on target. I don't need to bring the revolver up into my line of sight or hold it with both hands. Of course, if time allows, I use the sights and bring the gun all the way up and use both hands for maximum accuracy. Using a rest or barricade is even better.

I can clean our qualifiction course even with the sights removed from my weapon.

circa02
11-05-2011, 04:58
With the sights removed?! What are you, a western gunslinger? :)

WarCry
11-05-2011, 08:12
The revolver just fits my hand better. When I grab it and pull it from the holster, it points where I am looking. I might could fire a shot as fast from a Glock, but my accuracy is much better with the revolver. I seem to be able go grasp the revolver grip the same way every time. With the Glock or the 1911 I seem to be adjusting my hand as I'm coming up on target. I don't need to bring the revolver up into my like of sight or hold it with both hands. Of course, if time allows, I use the sights and bring the gun all the way up and use both hands for maximum accuracy. Using a rest or barricade is even better.

I can clean our qualifiction course even with the sights removed from my weapon.

That's impressive. I would like to get to that same point with anything I'm using as some point, but I commend you. As it's said around here frequently, shoot what you're comfortable with, and you obviously don't need anyone telling you to do anything differently!

nitesite10mm
11-05-2011, 08:54
Revolvers don't suffer from being pushed OOB.

Jes sayin'..........

nitesite10mm
11-05-2011, 09:06
Many (most) of you'unz are too young to remember when semi-autos were looked at sideways because they were:

unreliable (compared to a revolver) and
their ammo was crap (the best for the time is junk technology now)

.... except for decent 1911s which are now celebrating a century mark** and going strong but available ammo pretty much sucked except for ball well into the late 90s.

And BHPs were golden but again, the ammo sucked.

I loved carrying a 4" Ruger Security Six and then a Smiff and Western 586 Distinguished Combat Magnum. I thought I was walking the streets like Wyatt G-damned Earp armed with a freekin laser beam and two speed loaders.

** Trivia: Is the M1911 100-years old this year?

texmex
11-05-2011, 16:57
Our qualification course is not very difficult. The furthest distance is 25 yards. The revolver I carried previously was a Smith & Wesson 625 45 ACP. It has a front sight that is removable by just pushing it one way and pulling it up. Once when I holstered it at the beginning of a qualification course, I must have caught the front sight just right on the edge of the holster and pushed it off. It then fell out the bottom of the holster. The first string of fire has a pretty generous time limit. On the command to fire, I drew my revolver and raised it up to shoot. I was a little surprised that the front sight was gone. Since you can't call time out in a gunfight, I went ahead and fired my 12 rounds from 25 yards. The rounds all wound up center mass in a group about the size of a pie pan. I figured since the rest of the course was at 15, 10, 7 and 3 yards, I'd just finish the course and figure out what happened to the front sight later. I cleaned the course and then went back and found the front sight on the ground.

Jeff82
11-05-2011, 17:13
Revolvers don't suffer from being pushed OOB.

Jes sayin'..........

No, but a revolver can be tied up by simply gripping the cylinder. The mechanical advantage will not allow the trigger to be pulled short of breaking internals.

fla2760
11-05-2011, 18:29
I still carry a S&W .38 caliber Model 67 in a Hoyt breakfront holster on occasion. Not because of some misguided belief that it is somehow faster or better than a semi-auto, but more because *I* can. No one hired after about 1991 on my agency was issued a revolver, nor that they carry them, even if they wanted to.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee297/bobmwr/FIREARMS/c56263ec.jpg

That is a NICE model 67. :cool:

As Texmex said the revolvers fit my hand better too.

car541
11-05-2011, 18:42
CALEA prevents anyone outside the jail from carrying a revolver.

No, it does not. My job is CALEA accredited and we allow carry of revolvers on the street. You just have to correctly write your policy and follow it.

We have several folks still carrying revolvers on patrol. Most are 4" S&W 357's, but we still have 2 old heads with 6" S&W model 29's. One of them interupted a bank robbery a few years ago, and the suspect literally lost control of his bowels when that big 44 was pointed at him.

I started out with a revolver and never felt outgunned with it.

Booker
11-05-2011, 19:36

I would absolutely add a .357 Magnum revolver to the stable if I could find a good secure holster and still have some draw speed. My dept SOP does allow for .357 Magnum carry although I don't think anyone has for some time.

Texmex, what are you wearing for a holster? And I know what you mean about shootability with a wheelgun. I just seem to take to it really well.

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/info/willfit/PT%205%20Duty-Revolver-5-13-11.pdf

9mmdude
11-05-2011, 19:44
I carried a 3 inch gp100 for a while in a plain clothes assignment until about two years ago. I stopped when my qualification scores and times didn't keep up with my semi's. I never felt undergunned but using full load .357's and reloads hurt my times and scores.

My gp100 nvr jammed!

Ajon412
11-05-2011, 20:57
No, it does not. My job is CALEA accredited and we allow carry of revolvers on the street. You just have to correctly write your policy and follow it.

We have several folks still carrying revolvers on patrol. Most are 4" S&W 357's, but we still have 2 old heads with 6" S&W model 29's. One of them interupted a bank robbery a few years ago, and the suspect literally lost control of his bowels when that big 44 was pointed at him.
I started out with a revolver and never felt outgunned with it.

:wow:.....I'd pay to see that...:rofl:

razdog76
11-06-2011, 16:52

CALEA does with our agency, and they have varying voluntary and mandated policies depending on agency size.

We have had two Deputies decide to leave the jail to go to the civil division. Both had to retire their revolvers for semi's.

seagravedriver
11-06-2011, 19:59
When I was a reserve in the mid 90s, I was issued a Model 19. While I felt a bit undergunned, (OK, I was looking for an excuse to buy a new handgun), one of the old hands said, "quit making excuses and learn to shoot it! It is ain't the gun, its YOU"! I stuck with it for a couple of years and moved on to a 92F, but it was a great shooting piece. I ended up qualifying well with it several times, and I wish I could have bought it. Three speed loaders and I was good to go. One other guy carried one, and another in a neighboring small town carried a 66, with cartridge loops:wow: One thing I do remember is shooting .357s during quals, I sometime had a hard time getting the brass to eject. It oddly gave me a couple of nightmares where I was hitting the ejector on the door sill of a mid 90s Caprice while some dude advanced on me. Weird.

And of course there is this gentleman...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuNL1MFgvZI&feature=relatedhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rOkSipERug

BailRecoveryAgent
11-07-2011, 08:13
One of them interupted a bank robbery a few years ago, and the suspect literally lost control of his bowels when that big 44 was pointed at him.

I almost lost control of mine just thinkin about it.

Local PD here has a couple investigators near retirement who still carry revolvers. And the guy that does all the scientific mumbo jumbo at car wrecks to determine speed at point of impact carries one too.

nitesite10mm
11-07-2011, 09:08
No, but a revolver can be tied up by simply gripping the cylinder. The mechanical advantage will not allow the trigger to be pulled short of breaking internals.

Well you know that, and I know that, but how many scrotes today really are aware of it?

OOB vs Lockup: both are a consideration. Thank's for adding that. I should have mentioned it in my post but you're there to back me up!

SAR
11-07-2011, 10:54
Well you know that, and I know that, but how many scrotes today really are aware of it?

OOB vs Lockup: both are a consideration. Thank's for adding that. I should have mentioned it in my post but you're there to back me up!

Well, I try not to let suspects get that close to me in the first place... If you have your gun drawn and the suspect is close enough to grab it, you've done something wrong.

nitesite10mm
11-07-2011, 13:22
Well, I try not to let suspects get that close to me in the first place... If you have your gun drawn and the suspect is close enough to grab it, you've done something wrong.

Or maybe the subject gets all weird on you all-of-a-sudden. It can happen.

But I see what you R saying. I have never had an OOB malf, and have read some of Mossad.A.'s recounts of an officer or perp actually/physically locking up a revolver cylinder......

What was the original topic on this thread???????????????????????

texmex
11-07-2011, 17:04
A few months ago I was watching the local news on a Houston station. Some guy with HPD was wearing a revolver. I think he was a crime scene guy. Maybe someone in the Houston area will let us know how many there are still carrying revolvers.

SAR
11-07-2011, 18:09
Or maybe the subject gets all weird on you all-of-a-sudden. It can happen.

But I see what you R saying. I have never had an OOB malf, and have read some of Mossad.A.'s recounts of an officer or perp actually/physically locking up a revolver cylinder......

What was the original topic on this thread???????????????????????

Yeah, maybe the subject does get all weird. That's why you maintain your distance when you have your gun drawn... I do not need to be in-your-face close when I have someone at gunpoint. That's what bullets are for.

BLACK Z
11-08-2011, 09:43
NYS DOC's still carry 38 Specials, When NYSP went to the .45 GAP NYS DOC got the old G 17's They still havent been issued there saying because they dont have the money for holsters ( They got rid of the NYSP Holsters ).

Our Jail Guys Carried Revolvers in 38 SP .357 and 44 Mag, They also could carry a Glock if they had there own, They have since all been issued new Gen 4 Mod 22's as of a few Months ago.

texmex
11-08-2011, 23:14
My days of carrying a revolver may be nearing an end. 357 Magnum is no longer on our list of supplied ammunition. I went to GT Distributors to get a couple of boxes of 125 gr Golddots. They didn't have any 125s, only 158 grain. The real shocker was the price. Over $47 dollars a box.

The only Handgun ammo we still get from the county is 357 SIG and 45 ACP. They also furnish us 5.56 ammo for the rifles.

I'll have to get into the gun safe and dig out those old 1911s!

circa02
03-11-2012, 18:37
Anyone mind If I revive his thread? Anyone have more examples?

Ajon412
03-11-2012, 20:15
My days of carrying a revolver may be nearing an end. 357 Magnum is no longer on our list of supplied ammunition. I went to GT Distributors to get a couple of boxes of 125 gr Golddots. They didn't have any 125s, only 158 grain. The real shocker was the price. Over $47 dollars a box.

The only Handgun ammo we still get from the county is 357 SIG and 45 ACP. They also furnish us 5.56 ammo for the rifles.

Bro, don't give up. Have you looked at these places for .357 Magnum ammo??

http://georgia-arms.com/357mag.aspx

http://www.mastercast.net/ftp.mastercast.net/Remanufactured_Ammo_Retail_Sales.html

texmex
03-11-2012, 20:46
I haven't given up yet. I wish Hornady would bring out their Critical Duty in 357 magnum. The Critical Defense really works well in speed loaders or moon clips. They are also cheaper than Gold Dots.

If the ammo costs continues to be a problem, I will just go back to a 45 ACP revolver. I have a Thunder Ranch Smith & Wesson Model 325 that makes a pretty good duty gun and a 325 Night Guard that makes a pretty good light duty or off duty gun.

blueiron
03-11-2012, 22:24
Bro, don't give up. Have you looked at these places for .357 Magnum ammo??

http://georgia-arms.com/357mag.aspx

http://www.mastercast.net/ftp.mastercast.net/Remanufactured_Ammo_Retail_Sales.html

Remanufactured ammo is a hugely verboten at my former agency and any other agency that I am aware of in my State.

Your mileage may differ due to the metric system.

BlisteringSilence
03-11-2012, 22:57

http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pistol-ammunition/357-magnum

Contact them (call them) and ask them if they can get you some additional weights. They stock golden sabers, at $14 for a box of 25.

Ajon412
03-11-2012, 23:22
I haven't given up yet. I wish Hornady would bring out their Critical Duty in 357 magnum. The Critical Defense really works well in speed loaders or moon clips. They are also cheaper than Gold Dots.

If the ammo costs continues to be a problem, I will just go back to a 45 ACP revolver. I have a Thunder Ranch Smith & Wesson Model 325 that makes a pretty good duty gun and a 325 Night Guard that makes a pretty good light duty or off duty gun.

WOW, not too shabby...

Remanufactured ammo is a hugely verboten at my former agency and any other agency that I am aware of in my State.

Your mileage may differ due to the metric system.

Mastercast is more for quals than carry. GA ammo is pretty good stuff, as I use it for both qualification and carry.

texmex
09-05-2012, 17:06
I blundered into a windfall. I went into GT Distributors and on the clearance shelf were some boxes of Gold Dot ammo. I went over and checked them out and they were 125 grain 357 Magnum on clearance sale for 29.99 a box. Since they were on clearance, there was no limit on how many you could buy. I bought all they had, 18 boxes. I guess I'm good to go for the foreseeable future.

collim1
09-05-2012, 18:02
I blundered into a windfall. I went into GT Distributors and on the clearance shelf were some boxes of Gold Dot ammo. I went over and checked them out and they were 125 grain 357 Magnum on clearance sale for 29.99 a box. Since they were on clearance, there was no limit on how many you could buy. I bought all they had, 18 boxes. I guess I'm good to go for the foreseeable future.

That's a heck of a load especially out of a 4" revolver, I'd feel good carrying it.

I have not been shooting my revolvers lately, but there was a time when I shot wheel guns a lot and would have felt good carrying a 6 shooter on patrol.

I love hearing people look down on revolvers, they always change their minds after seeing one in action by someone who can shoot one.

I train a lot and the fact is I shoot my model 10 4" better than any pistol I own. With 125g +p or 135g short barrel gold dots I would feel good carrying it.

I have heard that the short barrel works really good out of 4" revolver.

Metro566
09-05-2012, 21:36
My academy instructor routinely out-shot every one of us with his revolver. He used to always praise the revolver and tell us he'd never carry anything else, but that in this day and age he believed that officers carrying semi-autos and a ton of ammo stopped focusing on the actual skill of shooting and resorted to throwing a wall of lead downrange.

He taught me a ton in terms of shooting and although I wouldn't carry a revolver on duty, I would never second guess someones ability that chose to carry one.

50 Cent
09-05-2012, 21:42
:wow:.....I'd pay to see that...:rofl:

"...but seeings this is the .44 Magnum and will blow your head clean off....there is only ONE question you have to ask yourself..." :rofl:

50 Cent
09-05-2012, 21:45
A few months ago I was watching the local news on a Houston station. Some guy with HPD was wearing a revolver. I think he was a crime scene guy. Maybe someone in the Houston area will let us know how many there are still carrying revolvers.

When I worked downtown I regularly saw HPD officers with revolvers or 1911's (cocked and locked no less). Yeah, most of them carried a S&W/Glock semi but it really wasn't too unusual to see a wheel gun carried.

SEARTraining
09-05-2012, 21:55
California Department of Corrections- primary sidearm is a S&W Model 64 .38 Revolver. They are currently transitioning to the Glock 23.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

BamaTrooper
09-06-2012, 06:50

Buy a Coonan; it isn't a revolver, but it is a 357mag.:supergrin:

FM12
09-06-2012, 15:29
I would if dept would let me. Loves me some revos!

My off duty guns now are either a Charter Arms Bulldog in 44 spl. or an older Colt Agent (blued) in 38 spl. in right rear pocket of my jeans covered by a shirttail.
Love them spl calibers also!

Rex G
09-30-2012, 11:10
When I worked downtown I regularly saw HPD officers with revolvers or 1911's (cocked and locked no less). Yeah, most of them carried a S&W/Glock semi but it really wasn't too unusual to see a wheel gun carried.

HPD went all-.40 in 1997, for new primary duty handguns, for uniformed officers, but officers could opt to keep using their existing duty pistols, and these "grandfathered" pistols, including revolvers and 1911s, are still very much in evidence.

RetailNinja
09-30-2012, 11:25
I have seen older cops wearing them, but they are all off the street and behind a desk.

You okay with riding in the back?

Because his brass balls are riding shotgun.

I actually laughed out loud

Poohgyrr
09-30-2012, 13:27
I wouldn't mind carrying my 8X357 on duty instead of my P220, but we went to autos for general primary pistol about '96 or '97; no one grandfathered for everyday duty use. And learning wheelgun skills definitely helps.

2wheelDuke
09-30-2012, 20:21
A friend went to the Ft. Lauderdale PD within the last year, and asked for advice since she had to buy a gun (her former department issued guns.). I noticed that revolvers in .38, .357, and .45acp were on the approved list.

I like my USP45 that I carry on duty now, but I still love revolvers. I wouldn't feel under gunned with my 686, and I still want to pick up an N frame in .45acp.

CBennett
09-30-2012, 21:42
when i went from patrol duties to corrections(9-10K more a year was why ) i was grandfathered in with the .357 magnum(a S&W model 28) BUT i will admit had they basically not laid off the entire dept except 2 full timers to hire part timers(no benifits) id have switched over to 9mm or .45acp(preferably the .45) over the revolver.

texmex
10-15-2012, 16:43
We went to the range on 10/9. One of the guys had two of his autos choke up on him. A previously totally reliable Springfield TRP jammed about 5 times during a 50 round qualification. One of the guys really flamed him while he was trying to un-jam his TRPP by asking if he would like to borrow a Glock to finish the course. Then the magazine catch spring fell out of his FN 5.7 so the magazine would not stay in. We did not find the spring. After looking up the instructions for reversing the magazine release, I believe the spring was partially disloged when the magazine well was being cleaned.

I was finishing up shooting a possible with my 325 Thunder Ranch while he was looking for the parts to his plastic pistol after his 30 round magazine would not lock into place. I suggested he duck tape it into place. Those jamomatics are just a passing fad.

vanilla_gorilla
10-16-2012, 04:15
I currently carry my own M&P 9mm, and am restricted to autos in 9mm or .40, but I wouldn't be upset carrying a revolver. I wish I had the option to do so, sometimes. I'm pretty odd in that regard, because I'm only 31 years old. Most cops my age don't even know how to qualify with a roundgun.

I recently laid hands on a S&W 625 in .45 ACP that could be a hell of a duty revolver with moonclips. I occasionally carry it off-duty.