To Holster, or Not To Holster [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : To Holster, or Not To Holster

Sooie
11-03-2011, 12:49
posting this on another gun board or 2, see what the general consensus is...

ive only been carrying for about 2 years now. i have a few iwb holsters, and one thats blackhawk soft pouch IWB/OWB/Pocket carry holsters. ive used it everyday for pocket carry on g27. i like it, bc i pocket carry. but its really useless in a defensive situation because of NO RETENTION ability.

heres the problem. when i attach holster to my belt/pants, no matter what gun i put in, as soon as i start moving around, my pants start falling down. i HATE IT! which is why ive preferred to pocket carry for soo long.

does anyone else have this problem? can it be fixed? surely the guns arent too heavy to carry or they wouldnt make iwb holsters for them, surely some people have good luck with this.

whether its a full size 1911 or baby glock, they feel the same when i start moving and pants start sliding down.

any suggestions?

captdreifus
11-03-2011, 12:53
Get a gun belt and better holster. Be prepared to spend $30-100 for a reputable gun belt. The one I use the most is the Wilderness Instructors belt. I use a M-Tac for my Glocks (All models) for IWB. OWB, I use Safariland and Galco respectively.

Edit: To answer your question, holster. From what you have described, it seems that carrying is a difficult and cumbersome task. A gun belt and quality holster will make carrying easy..

LibertyPatriot
11-03-2011, 13:04
I carry a G23 in a CBST all day everyday and use a Red Wing Boots 1-1/2" single ply leather belt with no problems of my pants falling down. And I have a gut that is fighting that belt for room all the time.

To quote a SNL sketch about the GAP girls, "Did ya' cinch it?"

Via OHub for iPhone
Thanks GT!

Sooie
11-03-2011, 13:07
cool. thanks.

will look into a belt. and maybe its the holster too.

fwiw, the belt i use is a general leather belt from American Eagle, LOL definitely not a duty belt!

forgot to mention, im left handed and carry a RH IWB @ 7-8 oclock. its a THEIS holster and i feel its a really good one, but am not against trying others.

captdreifus
11-03-2011, 13:10
cool. thanks.

will look into a belt. and maybe its the holster too.

fwiw, the belt i use is a general leather belt from American Eagle, LOL definitely not a duty belt!

forgot to mention, im left handed and carry a RH IWB @ 7-8 oclock. its a THEIS holster and i feel its a really good one, but am not against trying others.

I'd suggest using the correct holster for a lefty. I'm in the 17% as well. Did you really use a right handed holster this whole time???

dosei
11-03-2011, 13:12
Get a belt...a good one.

Here are a few good ones:
Aker - B21
Wilderness - Instructor Belt (CSM model)
thebeltman.net - Horsehide, Reinforced
Ares Gear - Ranger Belt

Belts to avoid:
ANY belt made from a single piece of leather.
Any belt made by Wrangler, Dickies, Carhart, etc.
Any belt that can be found at Wal-Mart, Sears, JC Penny's, Tractor Supply, Macys, Belks, Dillards, etc.

Also...
Where are the top of your pants in relation to your waist? (Do you "bust a sag" or whatever it's called today?)

sr975j
11-03-2011, 13:17
Get a belt...a good one.

Aker - B21
Ares Gear - Ranger Belt
Comp-Tac - Reinforced Contour Belt

Belts to avoid:
Any belt that can be found at Wal-Mart, Sears, JC Penny's, Tractor Supply, Macys, Belks, Dillards, etc.

^^^listen to this guy. very good points. ill add another. if you can buy the belt at a store, its not the same quality and sturdiness of the belts previously mentioned. i have an aker b21 that i am a really big fan of. i was on a lower budget at the time of purchase but plan to get a beltman belt fairly soon to try it out.

Sam

Sooie
11-03-2011, 13:18
I'd suggest using the correct holster for a lefty. I'm in the 17% as well. Did you really use a right handed holster this whole time???

YES LOL.

i dont mind the draw, if your a lefty and use a RH holster @ 7 or so, the draw isnt too bad... for me. but i bet a real LH holster would be much better. its just a matter reaching "palm facing out" instead of "palm facing in" for a RH holster used by lefty.

and thanks dosei, will look into it.

sr975j
11-03-2011, 13:23
my two favorite holsters right now are the remora holster and the glock combat holster. the remora, in my opinion, is the most versatile holster on the market today. you cant adjust the cant and depth of your gun quickly and easily. out of my small holster collection, the remora is my go to holster for incredible concealment and comfort.......and its very inexpensive.

get a good gun belt and a proper holster.

Sam

Leigh
11-03-2011, 13:30
Do yourself a huge favor and please get a LH draw holster.

With practice, your draw will become more fluid, natural, and faster AND you won't be sweeping yourself with a loaded weapon near as much.

fuzzy03cls
11-03-2011, 14:02
2 years & you don't have proper equipment? I think you also may want to invest some $ into good classes that teach you drawing, gun handling, equipment etc.

Sooie
11-03-2011, 18:39
All points taken. Thanks.

Yes I would like to take some classes in the future. I have a proper pocket carry holster and that's how I've carried for 2 years. I haven't carried with the rh holsters because of the incorrect belt issue.

IndyGunFreak
11-04-2011, 06:12
Get a belt...a good one.

Aker - B21
Ares Gear - Ranger Belt

Belts to avoid:

Also...
Where are the top of your pants in relation to your waist? (Do you "bust a sag" or whatever it's called today?)

Exactly. Don't waste money on that Red Wing belt.

^^^listen to this guy. very good points. ill add another. if you can buy the belt at a store, its not the same quality and sturdiness of the belts previously mentioned. i have an aker b21 that i am a really big fan of. i was on a lower budget at the time of purchase but plan to get a beltman belt fairly soon to try it out.

Sam

Another very good post. The Aker B21 is a GREAT first gun belt (assuming you want leather).

barstoolguru
11-04-2011, 07:48
grow a butt

series1811
11-04-2011, 07:54
Good advice here to buy a good belt. I'm wearing a Galco belt right now that I paid $130 for ten years ago. It's still a great belt. It doesn't make any sense to buy a nice holster and think it's going to work when you put it on a crappy belt.

LibertyPatriot
11-04-2011, 07:57
Exactly. Don't waste money on that Red Wing belt.

Why, do you have first hand experience with it like I do? I have no issue with mine. Just because it doesn't say Gun Belt on the label doesn't mean it's no good for that purpose.

Via OHub for iPhone
Thanks GT!

taurn88
11-04-2011, 09:27
I've got a Columbia belt that is pretty sturdy, it's cheap but works. I have been eyeing CompTac's kydex belts for some time though, now that looks like it would last many lifetimes.

dosei
11-04-2011, 10:38
Why, do you have first hand experience with it like I do? I have no issue with mine. Just because it doesn't say Gun Belt on the label doesn't mean it's no good for that purpose.

Via OHub for iPhone
Thanks GT!

There isn't a single-ply leather belt in existence that can even come close to matching the performance of a proper double-ply leather belt...let alone the reinforced double-ply leather belts. A properly made double-ply leather gun belt will have the grain of the leathers deliberately "miss-matched" which makes the belt much more stretch resistant than any single-ply belt will ever be. Also, double-ply belts resist "rolling" much better than single-ply simply due to the structural advantages of "laminated" materials.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i170/dosei/Single-plybelt.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i170/dosei/Double-plybelt-rolled.jpg

Add a reinforcement to a double-ply belt and you have one superbly stiff belt...and stiffer the better.

ithaca_deerslayer
11-04-2011, 10:59
Suspenders?

dosei
11-04-2011, 11:39
Suspenders?

Perry Suspenders...

http://www.perrysuspenders.com/persus.html

PhotoFeller
11-04-2011, 11:42
You are not alone with the sagging pants problem. I have the same issue, and it discourages me from carrying a lot of the time. Seems I am constantly pulling up my shorts or jeans.

I recently bought a Wilderness belt and one from 9.11 Tactical, and both help a lot. I've just got to get used to a snug belt as compared to my usual attire of no belt at all. I also notice that without a T-shirt, the top edge of my new belts chafe my stomach a little bit by the end of the day.

Good lucK.

ironmike86
11-04-2011, 23:19
Get a Remora. I can carry my G27 without a belt. Get the reinforced top. $30 to your house if you don't like it send it back. I wear a cheap belt just because it seems to have more support. Don't need my gun belt or any belt at all as long as your pants fit. You can take a piss also no problem if you carry ~ 4 oclock. Unless you have a big hog and need to pull down your pants and use both hands then it maybe aproblem with no clip. Search You tube Remora Holsters look at the chick Failphotograph vids.

MN-glock27
11-05-2011, 08:37
Like others have said get a belt that was specifically made for carrying a gun. Anything else it will likely sag quite a bit. Also, a holster that spreads the weight of the gun over a longer length of belt will reduce sagging even more.

ironmike86
11-05-2011, 13:02
For a small G27 the friction to the remora it won't even move. Pants just need to fit not gangster

RussP
11-05-2011, 14:08
posting this on another gun board or 2, see what the general consensus is... ...So, Sooie, what is the consensus?