My best Sub-$1,000 rifle. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My best Sub-$1,000 rifle.

HAIL CAESAR
11-03-2011, 16:12
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo349/hailcaesar_photos/NoveskeLW145.jpg

It is a home brewed rifle. The following is the what and how much.

It started off with looking for a barrel. Samuse from this site PM'ed me with a offer for a very,very slightly used (200'ish rounds) 14.5 LW Middy barrel from Noveske. The barrel, pinned Vortex flash hider, FSB, gas tube, Magpul Moe guards, and nut were purchased for $230 shipped. (Thank you very much Sam)
The barrel group came off a factory Noveske Skinny Moe. I still haven't gotten around to stripping the paint off the lower Moe guard.

I had an upper and lower, but decided (what the heck) and got a Noveske matched upper and lower. $285.

I had a take off CTR stock that I had bought for $45 bucks.
A takeoff Ergo for $10.
A Colt BCG and FCG I bought for $125 unused.
A barely usedTLR-1 for $65.
A barely used Aimpoint H-1 with ADM mount....$375.

The following I just ordered from Brownell's;

A DSA tube and Magpul BUIS for $18 and $44.
BCM Gunfighter Medium for $41.
Moe trigger guard..$7
Moe rail...$5

Ambi Safety I had laying around and forgot when/where/how much.
Same with Forward Assist..but they run $10.
Other parts I have laying around in bins.

So for a total with out the light and Aimpoint is $820. (Hopefully I added it up right).
If I would have just used an regular upper and lower I could have easily knocked off $130 for a total of $690.

With the rifle, light, and Aimpoint........ $1260!

HAIL CAESAR
11-03-2011, 16:16
I guess the moral of the story is .....if you search around and buy RIGHT you can put together one hell of a rifle.

Carry around cash...and make offers on quality gear.

M&P15T
11-03-2011, 17:31
Sweeeeeeeeeet!!!!

TedG
11-03-2011, 18:12
......... I want a $230 Noveske Skinny....:crying:

Nice job Caesar.

HAIL CAESAR
11-03-2011, 18:14
Sweeeeeeeeeet!!!!
Thank you.:wavey:

......... I want a $230 Noveske Skinny....:crying:

Nice job Caesar.

I want another one too!!!:tongueout:

Thank you also Sir!

K. Foster
11-03-2011, 19:18
Good job. Let us know how it shoots.

steve1911
11-03-2011, 23:31
Nice build, good job.

1911club#410

HAIL CAESAR
11-04-2011, 11:02
Good job. Let us know how it shoots.

I shot 360 through it yesterday. So far it has preformed exceptionally.
It is exceeded my accuracy expectations. 2 inch groups to sight in at 100 yards.

Did I mention it was light?:cool:

Nice build, good job.

1911club#410

Thank you.

I guess I should have built a BCM for $1,100 for a bare rifle to get a better response here.:upeyes:

TedG
11-04-2011, 11:15
It is exceeded my accuracy expectations. 2 inch groups to sight in at 100 yards.

Did I mention it was light?:cool:

Thank you.

I guess I should have built a BCM for $1,100 for a bare rifle to get a better response here.:upeyes:

Well, since I couldn't get a "$230" Noveske Skinny, I ordered a BCM Lightweight 14.5" Carbine upper. Like you, my intent is minimal weight. I think I'll be using just the DD1.5 for a sight. And, yes, you did well. I'm most impressed with home-builts.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/TedG954/INFIDELAPPROVED-4sm2.jpg

HAIL CAESAR
11-04-2011, 11:44
Ted,

I wanted to build a light weight gun, as all of mine seem to be pigs. So that is why this gun was build.

I also had the intention of building the highest quality gun as possible for less amount of money than damned near any factory build gun. Built it for less money than any kit, or upper and lower push together buy. I would have done it too if I had not splurged for a Novwske matched upper/lower which truthfully is a waste of money.
These forums kind of put the bug in my head to try this.

I already had a drawer full of parts I had bought for huge savings. Most of it from zippies that buy what is popular "this month" on the internet and sell it unused of the next popular fad.

Or they buy this stuff to be "cool" and then have to pay rent, buy text books, or Mommy and Daddy get the credit card statement.

I never thought about the possibility of getting a Noveske Skinny upper (minus upper receiver). That was a windfall that I could only dream of. (THANK YOU SAM)

The rest of the parts I could do again in a in a couple of more months as it is very common to come across this stuff. Most is like new in box, or extremely slightly used.

So if you watch for deals you could do the same. And maybe cheaper.

Al

TedG
11-04-2011, 11:55
....... if I had not splurged for a Novwske matched upper/lower which truthfully is a waste of money.
These forums kind of put the bug in my head to try this.

I already had a drawer full of parts I had bought for huge savings. Most of it from zippies that buy what is popular "this month" on the internet and sell it unused of the next popular fad.

Or they buy this stuff to be "cool" and then have to pay rent, buy text books, or Mommy and Daddy get the credit card statement.

I agree with you 100%, including the waste of money for the Noveske lower.

I had a an N4 that was all tricked-out. It really was a nice rifle, but it didn't shoot any better than less expensive rifles I own. The "experts" keep talking about running hard and when the chips are down.... Baloney. A lower is a lower is a lower. The barrel? Now that's a different story.

Your story is what newbe's should read. I sold the Noveske and picked up my PSA Dissipator and a Colt 6520 and still had change. My guns are like pick-up trucks, I don't need a Ferrari N4. Good luck.

surf
11-04-2011, 14:19
HC - Nice build! I am also continuously accumulating parts etc, either from finding great deals, but since I do a lot of free or very cut rate work for others, combined with my job position, I am very fortunate to have great deals find me. I have enough parts lying around to build quite a few complete rifles if I were to just pick up more lowers. Quite frankly I have this platform pretty well covered and I only want to do 1 or maybe 2 more rifles for myself and don't really have the desire to do much beyond that. It would really need to be something very innovative to make me want to do much more than these 2 I am looking at.

Ted G - Having said the above, IMO and in my experiences, a lower really isn't a lower. If it is a forged blank from a reputable manufacturer and if the final machining is done correct, and finish is done correct than you are generally gtg, however machining and finishes will vary from vendor to vendor and not all are quality jobs. There is a reason that certain manufacturers will reject a part, yet that supplier will turn around and sell that rejected part or batches to another manufacturer. On the other hand you may find a lot of consistency in lowers since many companies who sell parts or weapons with their own brand name on them often source their lowers from the same supplier already finished, so brand name x, y and z will all appear the same at face value besides the roll markings.

Having said that, I do agree that the heart of the rifle is the barrel. I can get Spikes, Palmetto, Aero Precision, etc, etc lowers, all day long for around $75 - $80 often cheaper, but I admit that I would take a new Noveske first lower at $150, or a Noveske blem lower at $100, all day long over the others. I don't tend to sell my weapons, but I guarantee that if I did, the custom builds with the Noveske lowers would sell for more than the other brands. A savy buyer might not care, but they would definitely sell for more to those who care about the roll marking on the lower and I mean more than just the cost difference in lowers. So an extra $30 - $70 is worth it to me. :)

RYNOCG201
11-04-2011, 17:19
Nice job! I think the foregrip looks good with the paint the way it is. Again nice job, I'm hoping to build one of my lowers in the same fashion.

RYNOC

velodemon
11-04-2011, 18:45
Nice gun! I am addicted to the various EE's on the interwebs and find it very difficult to pass up a "screamin' deal" as I refer to them. I hope the rifle brings you a lot of fun!

Cole125
11-04-2011, 18:53
Looks great! :thumbsup:

Amazing how much money you save just buying a few things slightly used.

samuse
11-04-2011, 20:55
Lookin' good!!!

HAIL CAESAR
11-04-2011, 23:06
Thanks everyone.

Surf, I agree with you about lowers. And that is how I get a lot of my parts, I work for cheap or free on family, friends, and acquaintances. I end up with lots of parts that are new or like new.

Ryno, I wish I wouldn't have stripped the paint off the Moe's now. Which leads to this;

Sam, what paint did you use on the rifle. I might just redo it. And thanks again!

agtman
11-05-2011, 15:26
Schweeet! :thumbsup:

And cost-effective. ;)

K. Foster
11-05-2011, 16:08

Outstanding! Glad that worked out for you.

HAIL CAESAR
11-05-2011, 19:14
I shot a couple hundred more rounds today. I had a heck of a good time.

After rereading my post above I see that my finger slipped of the "3" and hit a "2". The gun shot 3 inch groups at 100 yards with the Aimpoint. I WISH I could shoot two's with a Aimpoint!

I am already thinking of the next put-together.

mjkeat
11-05-2011, 19:33
That couldnt be much more perfect and that price is awesome.

samuse
11-05-2011, 22:01
I shot a couple hundred more rounds today. I had a heck of a good time.

After rereading my post above I see that my finger slipped of the "3" and hit a "2". The gun shot 3 inch groups at 100 yards with the Aimpoint. I WISH I could shoot two's with a Aimpoint!

I am already thinking of the next put-together.

That makes me feel a little better. I got 4-5" with it, prone on the mag with irons at 100.

:embarassed:

HAIL CAESAR
11-05-2011, 22:55
That makes me feel a little better. I got 4-5" with it, prone on the mag with irons at 100.

:embarassed:

I got 4-5, or worse, untill I switched to match grade ammo and a Geiselle trigger. So don't feel bad.
Not to mention I took long breaks between shots.

samuse
11-06-2011, 21:31
I got 4-5, or worse, untill I switched to match grade ammo and a Geiselle trigger. So don't feel bad.
Not to mention I took long breaks between shots.

I think you might be cheating...:tongueout:

deserttactical45
11-07-2011, 00:39
That's sick nice job man