930 SPX Feeding Issue [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 930 SPX Feeding Issue

GlockRacer
11-03-2011, 19:11
Hello everyone! The past few months since I purchased my 930 SPX has been AWESOME! Probably turning into my favorite gun to take to the range! Today had my first failure with it ever... It wasn't wanting to feed the 1st round. It looks as if the lifter (elevator) is rubbing on the inside of the bolt release inside the receiver. I had issues feeding federal slugs, and federal birdshot a few times. I noticed when unloaded, that if I manually hold the bolt open and press the bolt release to allow the bolt to come forward maybe 1/2" (just enough so I can work the elevator by hand) when I push the elevator up, you can see it dragging on the shell release (i think its name...) and at the very top, if you push the elevator to the very top of its allowable travel, you can hear the shell release "click" as the elevator is finally high enough for it not to be rubbing.... any insight?

DHSGMAN
11-03-2011, 20:47
Hello everyone! The past few months since I purchased my 930 SPX has been AWESOME! Probably turning into my favorite gun to take to the range! Today had my first failure with it ever... It wasn't wanting to feed the 1st round. It looks as if the lifter (elevator) is rubbing on the inside of the bolt release inside the receiver. I had issues feeding federal slugs, and federal birdshot a few times. I noticed when unloaded, that if I manually hold the bolt open and press the bolt release to allow the bolt to come forward maybe 1/2" (just enough so I can work the elevator by hand) when I push the elevator up, you can see it dragging on the shell release (i think its name...) and at the very top, if you push the elevator to the very top of its allowable travel, you can hear the shell release "click" as the elevator is finally high enough for it not to be rubbing.... any insight?

Disassemble it and then reassemble. If that doesn't fix it, return to Mossberg.

mixflip
11-03-2011, 21:53
+1. What he said.

First thing I'd do is a detail field strip and close inspection.

Re-assemble/oil... and test fire.

Ride5C2
11-04-2011, 05:41

Just to clarify is it failing to load the next round while firing or while hand cycling? Mine recently (last week) just started refusing to hand cycle rounds loaded in the tube.

GlockRacer
11-04-2011, 10:24
It was failing to load the first round, say if you dropped it in the receiver on to the elevator, and then used the bolt release button to feed it in the chamber. cycled shots would feed, but you could feel the bolt operating "clunky" as it forced it in. I took it apart and cleaned it out, last range trip I noticed the bolt release button felt "soft, mushy" so while it was apart, it appears the spring in the underside of the bolt release had wedged itself under have of the button. Its not held in place with anything other than pressure of the button holding it in. I took apart the bolt release assembly as well, along with the shell latch, cleaned them, straightened the springs back up so they were vertical again, and not slanted, put it all back together and it manually feeds fine now with A-Zoom dummy rounds. Hope to get out this weekend and try it out again. I think I found the failure point of cleaning on mine :whistling: Its only seem maybe 200 rounds, but that has been over the span of a couple months, I think that is a major culprit here. Thanks for everyone's help!

GlockRacer
11-12-2011, 13:19
well, finally got to test it today. Didn't help, still had about 10 failure to feeds in about 100 rounds. the round is getting hung up on the bottom of the chamber. Its as if the lifter is not lifting high enough. If you manually pull back the charging handle after it fails to chamber, it pops up higher and feeds perfectly. looks like going to have to call mossberg... bummer, this thing has been absolutely flawless the first several hundred rounds until these failures, it also developed the "scaring" on the magtube" issue. disappointing