help identify Glock 17 magazines [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : help identify Glock 17 magazines

dl1911
11-03-2011, 21:46
I have seen this picture that helps identify G17 mags.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ButchG17/Glock%20magazines/G17mags-numbered-1.jpg

But where do these mags fit in?

http://oi40.tinypic.com/29dgynb.jpg

dl1911
01-31-2012, 00:07
bump.

AustinTx
01-31-2012, 00:23
It looks like they go to the same place, that the ones, in your upper picture, go. Maybe I don't understand the question.

DJ Niner
01-31-2012, 00:53
They look the same as the number fours in the above photo.

If you don't think they are #4s, can you tell us why?

dl1911
01-31-2012, 01:06
They look the same as the number fours in the above photo.

If you don't think they are #4s, can you tell us why?

#4 has a square cut on the metal at the back of the mag.

These mags have the angled cut like #5-#9 but with the 9mm lower on the mag. I take it these are pre-ban, but I haven't seen them before. I was just wondering if anyone knew about them

http://i40.tinypic.com/fv8dqt.jpg

DJ Niner
01-31-2012, 01:18
I see what you're saying now.

I'd call them a transitional, or "late" #4; hi-cap with the lower-on-the-body caliber stamping (so almost certainly pre-ban, as you said), but with the newer angled-cut feed lips/liner. Your second (close-up) photo more clearly shows the side profile of the mag body, which also matches the #4-#5 in the way the side of the mag body tapers below the feed lips.

AustinTx
01-31-2012, 02:23
I, obviously, don't spend enough time with my mags.

DJ Niner
01-31-2012, 02:53
I, obviously, don't spend enough time with my mags.It's not the AMOUNT of time you spend; it's the QUALITY of the time spent. :supergrin:

voyager4520
01-31-2012, 10:22
According to Butch's picture, they look like #5's, that would make them preban.

Look at the top rear of the feed lips. On the #4 it's shaped like this: |__|
On the #5 it's shaped like this: \__/

That was the last style of magazine made before the ban went into effect. If the caliber marking is midway between the feed lips and witness holes, it's preban. If the caliber marking is higher up closer to the feed lips, it's post-ban. There were some preban magazines made with the higher caliber marking but there's no way to distinguish them from post-ban's.

DJ Niner
02-01-2012, 00:02
According to Butch's picture, they look like #5's, that would make them preban.

Look at the top rear of the feed lips. On the #4 it's shaped like this: |__|
On the #5 it's shaped like this: \__/

That was the last style of magazine made before the ban went into effect. If the caliber marking is midway between the feed lips and witness holes, it's preban. If the caliber marking is higher up closer to the feed lips, it's post-ban. There were some preban magazines made with the higher caliber marking but there's no way to distinguish them from post-ban's.Well, the number 5's, above, are actually post-ban mags (during-the-ban, or post-enactment-of-the-ban); there was no reason to make a 10-shot magazine for the high-capacity guns until after the ban began.

I have owned several magazines of the type shown/described by the original poster, but the only ones I have photos of AND know the history of, were made just prior to the ban for G19s. I bought a G19 made just before the ban, and the mags looked like the OP's photo, above. I bought a spare mag for it, and it looked like the number 4 mag, above. I took photos of both of these mags a couple of years ago, to sell them to a person in a state that still had a state-level ban, so I can show you what they looked like:

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/1141/twotypesofprebanfmls.jpg

These were both magazines purchased just prior to the ban (one with the gun, one from a local gunshop), so I know both styles were pre-ban, but I'm guessing the angled-notch style was relatively rare, or they would have made it into Butch's mag photo, above. That's why I labeled that style of mag as transitional #4's; obviously not 5's (after the ban began) due to the caliber stamping location (and my personal knowledge of when my very similar G19 mags were bought), but having the same type of body liner notch at the top, near the feed lips.

kirgi08
02-01-2012, 10:17
#2 #3 aren't drop free and all my time around Glocks I've never seen a #1.'08. :dunno:

Novocaine
02-01-2012, 12:24
Almost all of my G19 and G17 pre-ban mags have angled cut. G19s have Gen1 followers and G17s have gen3 followers.

The only exception with the square notch is G19 mag that came with the pistol.

ETA: just looked at these mags. G19s (angled notch, gen1 follower) have two tooling holes on the back over the witness holes 14 and 15. So they basically look like OP mag on the right except they are G19s.

G17 (angled notch, gen3 follower) don't have these tooling holes. They look exactly like the mag on the left in OP pic.

hunter won
02-01-2012, 12:40
Just before the ban Glock made magazines with the caliber marking high. Those magazines were used during the AWB with the LE/Gov't stamp.

MakeMineA10mm
02-02-2012, 00:29
One other (remote) possibility is that these are during-the-ban high-caps that were made for the non-US market (and were imported after the ban expired). It wasn't until two or three years into the ban that Glock started selling the magazines everywhere in the world that had the "restricted in US" language. It was a point of contention for Glock in 1995 or 1996 with the US officials... (Lots of suspicion that post-ban high-caps from overseas were being snuck in to get around the ban, so glock started marking the high caps world-over with the restricted language.)

#2 #3 aren't drop free and all my time around Glocks I've never seen a #1.'08. :dunno:

#1 is the P80 magazines for the original Austrian production run. Pretty rare. I wouldn't mind finding one of them (along with the P80 to go with it -- that'd be nice!). :supergrin:

kirgi08
02-02-2012, 00:51
Thank you,as I said I had no Idea.'08.

Novocaine
02-02-2012, 01:40
One other (remote) possibility is that these are during-the-ban high-caps that were made for the non-US market (and were imported after the ban expired).

Most assuredly I got mine during the ban. Who knows when they were built but I'd find it surprising for the post-ban mag to have gen 1 follower.

dl1911
02-02-2012, 22:49
One other (remote) possibility is that these are during-the-ban high-caps that were made for the non-US market (and were imported after the ban expired). It wasn't until two or three years into the ban that Glock started selling the magazines everywhere in the world that had the "restricted in US" language. It was a point of contention for Glock in 1995 or 1996 with the US officials... (Lots of suspicion that post-ban high-caps from overseas were being snuck in to get around the ban, so glock started marking the high caps world-over with the restricted language.)

#1 is the P80 magazines for the original Austrian production run. Pretty rare. I wouldn't mind finding one of them (along with the P80 to go with it -- that'd be nice!). :supergrin:

Thank you everyone for all the information.

Regarding the non-US market mags, I found the following picture that shows two mags that had the Restricted wording removed. This was before Glock went to the bigger Law Enforcement wording on all their mags. Note the 9MM has been moved higher up.

http://i56.tinypic.com/kf19o5.jpg

pureform1278
02-03-2012, 01:12

I have the Gen1 P80 magazine for the first glock ever made for the Austrian army Actually have 3 as you see its not a U shape on the top and the bottom has the circle with the triangle in the middle for the austrain army symbol... Wanna buy =)

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c35/pureformbonsai/prebanmag-1.jpg

im_n2_vws
11-11-2012, 09:38
Hey pureform, Do you still have any p80 mags for sale?

Alemannic
04-09-2014, 00:09
There were a number of preban FML Glock magazines that had the caliber markings high on the back of the magazines that were manufactured before the 1994 ban took effect. If you call Glock directly at 770-432-1202, you can ask them if there is an absolute way to differentiate between preban and post ban 3rd generation magazines. Aside from the restriction statement on the back of the magazines there is no absolute way to differentiate between late preban, ban era, and early post ban 3rd generation magazines. Prosecutors in states that maintained a high capacity magazine ban have asked for such a clarification from Glock and Glock has apparently stated that they do not have definite dates for some of their magazine changes. I personally purchased some preban magazines with the caliber designation high on the back of the magazine without the restriction warning just before the ban took effect in 1994.

cadillacguns
04-09-2014, 03:00
IIRC, The mags pictured above that had the words RESTRICTED IN THE USA on their spines were commercial mags made for outside the US distrobution. The restricted LE?Gov mags were marked crossways by the caliber stamp.

Anyways all are good to go now, depending on where you live.