DD- XV or XVM? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : DD- XV or XVM?

KiloXray
11-04-2011, 19:30
So looks like I'll be picking up an EBR within the month. Ive done quite a bit of research, and almost completely decided on what I want to get, save one detail.

I have decided to go Daniel Defense, either a XV or XVM. My entire goal is to keep the rifle light and fairly simple. Planned mods are:

MIAD grip
CTR stock
MOE handgaurd
Eotech EXPS 2.0
Troy flip up rear sight

So the dilemma comes with whether to go carbine or mid length. Aesthetically the mid is a little better to me, because the barrel doesn't look like it is sticking out a mile. I understand that reliability and wear on the weapon is better with the mid.

I tend to think that the carbine would have to be lighter, though I'm not sure how much. I'm guessing that 2 inches of gas tube and hangaurd cant weigh more than an ounce or 2.

So what say ye' brain trust?

Carbine or Mid?

11-04-2011, 20:11
Given the 2 choices above, I don't see why you would want to go carbine, unless you just want a carbine. Weight difference would be imperceptibly small.

surf
11-05-2011, 01:23
Talk about reliability of parts, recoil and weight between a carbine and midlength is meaningless IMO. Longer reach on the handguard and sight radius are a better reason IMO to go midlength route. Heck even your desire for aesthetics makes more sense.

Also the XV comes with a very good DD rear sight already.

KiloXray
11-05-2011, 07:11
Given the 2 choices above, I don't see why you would want to go carbine, unless you just want a carbine. Weight difference would be imperceptibly small.

This is what I was thinking

Talk about reliability of parts, recoil and weight between a carbine and midlength is meaningless IMO. Longer reach on the handguard and sight radius are a better reason IMO to go midlength route. Heck even your desire for aesthetics makes more sense.

Also the XV comes with a very good DD rear sight already.

Yeh, it comes with the A1.5. I was mostly thinking of the flip up because im not a huge fan of having the RDS view cluttered up with a lower 1/3 cowitness. Maybe I will just learn to live with it, to save some $$.

So does anybody have a reason why they would prefer the carbine? Let's hear from the other camp.

scromer
11-05-2011, 08:28
Mid length FTW!!!!

boomhower
11-05-2011, 12:11
midlength

freedom790
11-05-2011, 13:36
midlength

punkey71
11-05-2011, 18:01
You said you have done the research and how it looks is what matters.

Get whatever you want to look at. How she looks is what matters....right?

You like the way the middy looks...even though you think the carbine tube is lighter (for your self desired lightweight build).

But...uggghhh...the barrel sticks out so much...

This is just awesome.

So looks like I'll be picking up an EBR within the month. Ive done quite a bit of research, and almost completely decided on what I want to get, save one detail.

I have decided to go Daniel Defense, either a XV or XVM. My entire goal is to keep the rifle light and fairly simple. Planned mods are:

MIAD grip
CTR stock
MOE handgaurd
Eotech EXPS 2.0
Troy flip up rear sight

So the dilemma comes with whether to go carbine or mid length. Aesthetically the mid is a little better to me, because the barrel doesn't look like it is sticking out a mile. I understand that reliability and wear on the weapon is better with the mid.

I tend to think that the carbine would have to be lighter, though I'm not sure how much. I'm guessing that 2 inches of gas tube and hangaurd cant weigh more than an ounce or 2.

Carbine or Mid?

KiloXray
11-06-2011, 07:26
You said you have done the research and how it looks is what matters.

Get whatever you want to look at. How she looks is what matters....right?

You like the way the middy looks...even though you think the carbine tube is lighter (for your self desired lightweight build).

But...uggghhh...the barrel sticks out so much...

This is just awesome.

I'm not exactly sure what you are getting at.

I made this thread trying to find out if there really is a GOOD reason to get a carbine. It seems as though there IS NOT. So then I have to wonder why anybody EVER buys a carbine and not a midlength. No one has piped up yet to support the carbine side.

I lean towards the mid for several reasons. One of them happens to be aesthetics. Is there a problem with that? You have never bought something because it "looks cool". While the looks the rifle I buy do slightly come into play, they certainly would not be a deciding factor. It was more of a "all things being equal " between the carbine or mid, I would go with the mid because I think it looks better.

Seems you got a little too wrapped in one detail.

Care to elaborate on your post?

datnvan
11-06-2011, 08:24
i just bought a ddm4 v3 and a ddm4 v2. my v3 is alresdy here and i must admit i kinda like the longer rail. my v2 should be here nxt week but i'm already familiar with how a regular carbine feels and i bought it simply because i got a great deal on it. i wouldnt hesitate to get either one.

fyi, classic arms has 1 ddm xv ez left in stock for 25% off. comes out to like $950 or something like that. hurry, its not gonna last long as i wanted a 2nd v3 or v5 but they sold out quick. u must call in the order and mention the 25% discount.

if u really wanted weight savings and dont care for a long barrel prodruding, why not just go ahead amd get an sbr? i think that will be my nxt project.

KiloXray
11-06-2011, 08:34
i just bought a ddm4 v3 and a ddm4 v2. my v3 is alresdy here and i must admit i kinda like the longer rail. my v2 should be here nxt week but i'm already familiar with how a regular carbine feels and i bought it simply because i got a great deal on it. i wouldnt hesitate to get either one.

fyi, classic arms has 1 ddm xv ez left in stock for 25% off. comes out to like $950 or something like that. hurry, its not gonna last long as i wanted a 2nd v3 or v5 but they sold out quick. u must call in the order and mention the 25% discount.

if u really wanted weight savings and dont care for a long barrel prodruding, why not just go ahead amd get an sbr? i think that will be my nxt project.

I would LOVE to go with an SBR. Problem with that is, I am active duty military. I move around ALOT. Alot as in, I am at my 8th duty assignment in 12 years. It is likely that I could get stationed somewhere that would not allow NFA toys. I will probably pursue that after I retire.

Thanks for the heads up on the XV EZ. Ill look into it.

boomhower
11-06-2011, 11:37

I made this thread trying to find out if there really is a GOOD reason to get a carbine. It seems as though there IS NOT. So then I have to wonder why anybody EVER buys a carbine and not a midlength. No one has piped up yet to support the carbine side.

I lean towards the mid for several reasons. One of them happens to be aesthetics. Is there a problem with that? You have never bought something because it "looks cool". While the looks the rifle I buy do slightly come into play, they certainly would not be a deciding factor. It was more of a "all things being equal " between the carbine or mid, I would go with the mid because I think it looks better.

There are some advantages to a carbine. They are higher pressure so you may get some enhanced reliability with a dirty gun. In SHTF scenario some parts like gas tubes would be easier to find since it is a much more common item in carbine. That said I still prefer midlength by a lot.

punkey71
11-06-2011, 15:24
All I was trying to say is, if you have made a decision on which to get (carbine/vs middy) do it based on sound reason not on aesthetics.

A middy does theoretically reduce wear and allow more handgaurd (with an A2 post) length.

Yes, the weight difference in a 2" piece of gas tube is negligible as you stated.

Sorry, I've just seem so many folks asking what "looks better".

And yes, I do buy certain things for the way they look....guns ain't one of them. Hell we shoot Glocks. The gun people always say is ugly. I could not care less. While 1911's look beautiful I don't own a single one and probably never will.

KiloXray
12-28-2011, 14:17
I went with the XVM. I ran 240 rounds through it the other day, not a single problem. VERY satisfied so far.

DDXVM
CTR stock
MIAD grip
MOE handgaurd (all Foliage Green)
Troy flipup Battlesight in the rear
Mount-N-Slot limited rotation QD socket on the handgaurd
Also have a Blueforce Tactical sling for it

I did decide to go with a Lucid HD7 on top for now. I tried out an EXPS and was not too wild about it. I went with the Lucid because it was a cheaper alternative to the Aimpint, and had multiple reticle options. If it ever craps out on me, ill probably buy an Aimpoint.

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac339/KiloXray/IMG_0081.jpg

WoodenPlank
12-28-2011, 16:56
I get the feeling you will be replacing that Lucid faster than you planned. Otherwise, nice lookin' stick. Congrats!

KiloXray
12-28-2011, 21:51
I get the feeling you will be replacing that Lucid faster than you planned. Otherwise, nice lookin' stick. Congrats!

Where does that feeling come from? I had a hard time finding any bad press on the thing. I bet it will last a while. Don't get me wrong, it IS sort of heavy, so I may end up with a T1 just for weight purposes.

BTW, I ordered a BCM Gunfighter CH. Should be here soon.

Kimura
12-28-2011, 22:43

MIAD grip
CTR stock
MOE handgaurd
Eotech EXPS 2.0
Troy flip up rear sight

Carbine or Mid?

Apparently I'm behind and reading comprehension is for adults as well.

Kimura
12-28-2011, 22:49
Where does that feeling come from? I had a hard time finding any bad press on the thing. I bet it will last a while. Don't get me wrong, it IS sort of heavy, so I may end up with a T1 just for weight purposes.

BTW, I ordered a BCM Gunfighter CH. Should be here soon.

Nice rifle.

Out of curiosity, if you were already going to spend the money on an Eotech, and you didn't like it, what made you decide against the Aimpoint? It's relatively the same amount of money.

KiloXray
12-28-2011, 23:23
Nice rifle.

Out of curiosity, if you were already going to spend the money on an Eotech, and you didn't like it, what made you decide against the Aimpoint? It's relatively the same amount of money.

Not sure really. The aimpoint is a little more $$. I guess I figured I would try a cheaper "tube style" optic, if I dig it I might also move the Lucid to my MP 15-22 and get an aimpoint for the DD.