First shotgun...strickly home defense! What should I buy [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First shotgun...strickly home defense! What should I buy

cburgin
11-04-2011, 21:23
I like the 870s but I am unsure of the differences in models available. I am not opposed to a mossberg either. I really like the look of the 590a1 tactical, too. I am just looking for advice on pricing, reliability, and ease of modifications. Also, I am seeing shotguns with barrels shorter than 18.5" on the board...is there a different permit required for these. Since this is a home defense shotgun, I want it to be compact as possible. Thanks.

Baba Louie
11-05-2011, 09:03
As to barrel length...

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-short-barreled-rifles-shotguns.html

For HD my preference is an 870 youth model in 20 ga. due to the 21" barrel and shorter stock. But there's also the IAC Win 97 clone nearby should I feel the need.

http://www.iacshotguns.com/97w.html

In the 870 series the Express line is their low cost product. Wingmasters cost more for good reason. Heres the link to Remingtons "Compact" series.

http://www.remington.com/product-families/firearms/compacts/compact-shotguns.aspx

Nothing wrong at all with Mossberg 500 series or old Winchester 1300s for that matter (except they're no longer being made... the Winchester)

tenntornado
11-05-2011, 12:34
In the 870 series the Express line is their low cost product. Wingmasters cost more for good reason.

Soooooooooo,
what is the good reason for spending twice as much for a wingmaster,when the gun is gonna be a dedicated HD gun?I doubt pretty bluing and shiny wood matter much to the OP.

Tomac
11-05-2011, 13:12
870 Express HD (6+1), then replace the extractor, carrier dog follower spring, magazine tube spring & follower and you're gtg.
If you want the most compact possible, this is the route I'm going (28" OAL w/an 18" bbl):
http://www.bullpupunlimited.com/order
Tomac

4 glocks
11-05-2011, 13:19
I like the 870 I have two. I would look for a used older one. I have the express and a 1970's Wingmaster. I was looking at a new 870 in a shop and the action was very ruff and felt gritty. The old ones are so much smoother.
Maybe it was just that one but it felt like it was full of sand. I got my Express used about 15 years ago for $215 and it's been flawless.

Averageman
11-05-2011, 14:02
Haunt some pawn shops.
I bought a unused 870 for $150 and cleaned it up, refinished the wood and cycled it about 300 times then polished the internals and bought someones "mistake" barrel and an extension so it holds ten rounds.
Now I have a hunting shotgun and a home defence shotgun that cost me some time and about $250.

Aceman
11-05-2011, 14:21
I'm gonna throw out a call for a Maverick 88. splits the feature difference between 870 and 500 down the middle, cheaper than either and as reliable/effective as both.

No need for anything but an ammo cuff and the tac light of your choice. Done.

M1A Shooter
11-05-2011, 15:10
i use a mossberg 535 turkey gun for double duty. i like its 20" barrel with choke tubes and a fiber optic sight.

as far as shorter than 18", you need to pay a $200 tax stamp to the BATFE for a SBS (short barreled shotgun).

make sure you are going to train with it as well. shotguns are big and bulky compared to other alternatives but also have a very devastating capability.

Don H
11-05-2011, 16:08
Just a plain ol' 870!

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=KdW2TAfN3mQ&vq=medium

NAS T MAG
11-05-2011, 16:14
Mossberg Tactical Cruiser with light and laser. End of conversation.
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/NAS-T-MAG/Mossberg500TacticalCruiser.jpg

CrackerKen
11-05-2011, 16:40
I've been researching and doing reviews on HD shotguns for a while now. I'm buying one soon. I'd rather buy new. I make a good living, but I don't have unlimited resources for firearms purchases. All I want is a reliable shotgun that I can buy, clean/lube, test, and sit in the corner on standby. While I certainly agree that a nice 870 or a Mossberg 500 (or 590) is nice, I cannot justify the extra $100 to $200 (or more), when compared to the economy models, which will also do the same job.

Here's what I've been looking at:

Maverick 88 (made by Mossberg), 5+1. Clone of a Mossberg 500. Parts interchange.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_871/products_id/42605

Maverick 88, 7+1.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_871/products_id/42628

More on the Maverick:

http://www.maverickarms.com/pages/88security.htm

H&R - New England Firearms, Pardner Pump Protector. Basically an 870 clone. Reviews give these good marks. I found a few review threads using Google. These go for about $180 to $200. They can be found on-line at Bud's, Cheaper Than Dirt, and others. Dick's Sporting Goods sells them too. I think they can be found and/or ordered at Wal-Mart too.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_350/products_id/16597

More on the H&R (scroll down to the bottom of this page) :

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/pardnerpump.asp

Hope this helps.

MrMurphy
11-05-2011, 18:00
It's your life. Is it not worth an extra $100?

Personally if I still ran a 12ga for house use, an 870 Express or preferably Police, 18", five shot tube, Speedfeed IV-S shorty stock.

Alternatively a Mossberg 590A1 set up the same way, six-shot tube, short stock.

XS Big Dot tritium front bead as this would be a strictly short range interpersonal conflict resolver, and add a Surefire fore-end, or a railed fore-end and Surefire G2X LED. Viking Tactics VTAC sling and i'd be all done.

I could accomplish the same with a stock gun, but that is how i'd PREFER the gun set up.

As it is, I use an AR and pistols. My shotgun is a pure hunting piece.

Bello
11-05-2011, 18:04
Mossberg Tactical Cruiser with light and laser. End of conversation.
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/NAS-T-MAG/Mossberg500TacticalCruiser.jpg

dont listen to this ridiculous guy lmao

Get a Benelli M2 Tactical

aippi
11-05-2011, 18:11
Good Thinking Cracker. With that thought be sure to get the economy break pads since they stop the car also. And those budget tires work just as well. Cheap bunji cords if you ever decide to do that stuff and check Wal-mart for a chute incase you want to take up sky diving. And if you ever need serious surgery just head down to Mexico as those doctors work cheap.

Being most all of you will never need a firearm to defend yourself with anything will work just fine, however, if that time comes then what do you want in your hands?

F106 Fan
11-05-2011, 18:28
I bought the Remington 870 Tactical as a 2d 870:
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-870/model-870-express-tactical.aspx

I have a much older 870 with a simple bead sight and a Blackhawk stock:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=knoxx+stock+870&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=&rlz=1I7ADRA_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=8870722915488911641&sa=X&ei=odO1Tqq0M8WsiAKa67Rz&ved=0CFIQ8wIwAQ#

My favorite SD shotgun is the Benelli M4:
http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli_m4.php

The M4 is a serious piece of hardware even if it is on the high side of expensive.

But, if it came to clearing my house, I don't think I will use a shotgun. I have a lot more experience with a handgun.

Richard

CrackerKen
11-05-2011, 18:29
aippi - Are those two models of shotguns I posted junk? Not arguing here, or being a smart $#%&$, just asking, and I am really interested in a qualified opinion. Seriously.

I tend to buy quality stuff in all areas of life. I don't like buying junk. My handguns are Glocks and a S&W. However, what will an 870 or 590 do that the Maverick or H&R won't? Are they that sorry and unreliable? If so, I'll just ante up another $100 for a Mossberg 500, and/or hit the pawnshops and gunstores for a good used more expensive gun.

I wasn't the only one who mentioned a Maverick.

When I was a deputy sheriff, I carried a chopped down (18.5) 12ga High Standard Flite King hunting shotgun. It gave me years of very reliable service. That would probably be considered inferior junk too, but at the time, I didn't have enough money for expensive shotguns when the cheaper worked fine.

aippi
11-05-2011, 18:47
The High Standard Pumps were made well and made here in the USA. It would have been there when you needed it. Had some in the Armory and loved shooting them.

The Remington 870 is the go to LEO Duty shotgun for all the right reasons. I relied on it to protect me all those years and still do. If there was not an 870 I would not hesitate to use the 590, a 1200 or even a vintage 37. I would not select any of the budget models for my defense shotgun unless I was cash poor and had to have something quick. I would save the extra and get the 870 or the 500.

There is also a rule I learned the hard way. Buy cheap and you buy oftern. My Dad still has Craftsman Tools hanging in his shop he bought 50 years ago. I wasted hundreds of dollars on cheap tools before I learned that lesson. With that said will any of those budget shotguns be here 50 years from now? That 870 will. In fact on my web site on the red link "Refinishing Service" is some before and after pictures of two old 870's customers sent in. I refinished them, changed out a couple springs and sent them back looking factory new and since they came to me working just fine I can't take any credit for that. Look at those before pictures and what those two weapons went through over the years. That Topeka Police Department weapon (see the TPD stamped on the receiver)would have been thrown away if based on looks alone. That thing ran like a Swiss watch when I got it. I seriously believe and state this with full confidence, none of the other models that so many guys bring up on these gun blogs, none, could have taken the abuse and neglect that weapon took and still function like that one did. Check out the Pictures.

sdsnet
11-05-2011, 18:57
I like the Mossberg maverick in 20 guage for home defense only $159.

This is what I am going to buy. The KSG Keltec Shotgun for $655 14+1 http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=5659

CrackerKen
11-05-2011, 19:00
Thanks for your insight JD. I'll check out your web site. Most likely, I'll go for a Mossberg 500. I've seen them as low as about $275 on the 'net. No telling what I can find used. When I have the $$$ in my pocket, I'll hit the shops and see what's out there.

Nestor
11-06-2011, 00:53
Soooooooooo,
what is the good reason for spending twice as much for a wingmaster,when the gun is gonna be a dedicated HD gun?I doubt pretty bluing and shiny wood matter much to the OP.

Saving someone's life maybe?
Wingmaster is much smoother (especially the older ones) and will shot better pattern than any Express out there.

mixflip
11-06-2011, 01:46
I love the redundant reliability (or perceived reliability) of "dual extractors on my $180 used plain Jane Mossberg 500.

I like my 500 so much that I thought I'd make a video for those who might be shopping around for HD shotguns and could benefit from some helpful info and opinions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtJ_VUMPprI

Remingtons are legendary in their own right and I use them at work (re-qualified on an 870 just the other day as a matter of fact)...but there are a few things I am not a fan of on them personally. Just a preference thing. They are both good choices either way.

tenntornado
11-06-2011, 05:25
Saving someone's life maybe?
Wingmaster is much smoother (especially the older ones) and will shot better pattern than any Express out there.

Really,
smoother maybe,though the express will smooth up just fine after you put a few hundred shells through it.

Patterns? The OP is not shooting clays with it,he asked about HD guns.

You can buy an AIP built basic1 which is built on an express reciever for $200 less than a new wingmaster.Which one do you think will throw a better pattern with buckshot,or serve better in a HD role?

The main reason for the huge price jump between wingmasters and the express is the labor involved in putting that pretty blue finish ,and shiny plastic finish on the field style walnut furniture on the wingmaster,me ,I prefer park.

If you want a pretty gun to show off to your buddies on the trap line,by all means buy a wingmaster.if you need a more economical gun"and better" for home defense,buy an express and build it yourself,buy an AIP gun, or buy a 870P.

Wingmasters are overpriced and overrated!!!!!!!

B Coyote
11-06-2011, 05:46
Really,
smoother maybe,though the express will smooth up just fine after you put a few hundred shells through it.

You can buy an AIP built basic1 which is built on an express reciever for $200 less than a new wingmaster,which one do you think will throw a better pattern with buckshot,or serve better in a HD role.

A HD gun should be patterned, also. In fact, I'd say it's EXTREMELY important to know how a defensive gun patterns with the chosen fighting load.

bc

tenntornado
11-06-2011, 05:54
A HD gun should be patterned, also. In fact, I'd say it's EXTREMELY important to know how a defensive gun patterns with the chosen fighting load.

bc

No kidding
I want to know which current production wingmaster model shoots better patterns with buckshot than an 18.5 express CB barrel,or better yet an AIP or 870P 18.5" IC barrel???????????

Hell,I could buy a new 870 HD and put a Vang Comp barrel on it for way less then a new Wingmaster cost.

Buffering
11-06-2011, 08:30
I am intrigued by the Rem Exp Compact Jr. That little bugger is cute enough to come as a set of matching earrings.

ScrappyDoo
11-06-2011, 08:50
Since you mentioned the 590A1- just don't even bother with anything else. You also mentioned looks, IMHO Thats the best part ! Not only ARE the 590A1s the best , they look the best IMHO. rock hard as nails and look great and - in my humble but often disregarded as worthless around here Opinion, you simply cannot beat the look of the gunmetal-battleship color of Parkerized grey ESPECIALLY on a M590A1 shotgun.

pugman
11-07-2011, 04:45
870 Express HD (6+1), then replace the extractor, carrier dog follower spring, magazine tube spring & follower and you're gtg.
If you want the most compact possible, this is the route I'm going (28" OAL w/an 18" bbl):
http://www.bullpupunlimited.com/order
Tomac

Is this something wrong with the extractor from Remington?

Buffering
11-07-2011, 07:55
Is this something wrong with the extractor from Remington?

It isn't SWAT endorsed.

Texas357
11-07-2011, 20:20
870, mossberg 500, can't go wrong. Extra paperwork for a few inches shorter, probably won't be worth it.

I have an 870 wingmaster, a Mossberg 500, and a Maverick 88. I wouldn't bother with a wingmaster for an HD gun. Actually, I like the controls on a Maverick 88 best for an HD gun- safety at front of trigger guard (where it is out of the way),action lock lever behind the trigger where it can be operated without changing your grip.

aippi
11-07-2011, 21:03
Nestor. You did not realize that all the barrels are the same. The blued 18.5" I/C Wingmaster barrel and the parkerized 18.5" I/C are the same barrel but they get a different external finish. The 18.5" Parkerized IC bead sight sells for $101 and the 18.5" Blued IC bead sight sells for $150. The Parkerizd barrel has a better finish for heavy use and rust provention so it is by far the better deal. And of course since they are the same barrel they both pattern the same.

Now the 18.5" Express barrel comes with a cly bore choke or is threaded for choke tubes. Both are bead sights. The Cyl bore one is $134 and the Remchoke one is $150. So you see the Express.

So the model of the shotgun has nothing to do with how it patterns. It is the choke that determines this and of course the ammo does also. But a Wingmaster barrel is the same as any other Remington Barrel.

engineer151515
11-07-2011, 21:27
Shortest possible would be a super-shorty

http://www.serbu.com/legacy/shorty.htm

Which is registered as an AOW.

Nestor
11-08-2011, 07:13
Nestor. You did not realize that all the barrels are the same. The blued 18.5" I/C Wingmaster barrel and the parkerized 18.5" I/C are the same barrel but they get a different external finish. The 18.5" Parkerized IC bead sight sells for $101 and the 18.5" Blued IC bead sight sells for $150. The Parkerizd barrel has a better finish for heavy use and rust provention so it is by far the better deal. And of course since they are the same barrel they both pattern the same.

Now the 18.5" Express barrel comes with a cly bore choke or is threaded for choke tubes. Both are bead sights. The Cyl bore one is $134 and the Remchoke one is $150. So you see the Express.

So the model of the shotgun has nothing to do with how it patterns. It is the choke that determines this and of course the ammo does also. But a Wingmaster barrel is the same as any other Remington Barrel.

Older Wingmaster with 18" barrel will pattern better using the same ammo than anything new Remington, but it's fair to point out that it had the older barrel on it as well. Not looker for sure. I tested this couple of times myself with the newer ones (Express) vs older ones (Wingmster) side by side during the requals in my company. I'm sure that You have more knowledge than I will ever have, but for this reason only You will be hardly pressed to admit that modern Remington is close in terms of quality to the older products. Anyway, thanks for explanation. Good reading.

Nestor
11-08-2011, 07:21
Really,

Thanks for sharing your opinion. Now it's more than obvious that You never tried the older Wingmaster in HD role.

Nestor
11-08-2011, 07:24

bc

Are you trying to talk common sense here?
What a shame.
Oh...please, don't ruin someone's day with your perfectly correct logic.

cburgin
11-08-2011, 14:58
Lets get back on task here. I have found a NIB 870 HD for 340 locally. Is this a good price? Also, what is the difference in the police mag, express mag, marine mag, etc?

Nestor
11-08-2011, 15:40
Lets get back on task here. I have found a NIB 870 HD for 340 locally. Is this a good price? Also, what is the difference in the police mag, express mag, marine mag, etc?

Modern Express action is so rough like someone poured a bucket of sand into it comparing to the older 870's. In this price range You may buy a much better shotgun, used 870 from 60's or 70's that will be of much higher quality than anything Remington today. It may not be so pretty, it may not have tactical BS written all over, but it will be a better shotgun. It may be 2 3/4" only, but for HD application it doesn't matter. Express has more plastic parts inside than Police, however Police version today isn't as nice as Wingmaster used to be back in the days. Police evaluated from Wingmaster BTW into "pay more to have what You should have at the first place" shotgun. Good luck.

tenntornado
11-08-2011, 17:20
Modern Express action is so rough like someone poured a bucket of sand into it comparing to the older 870's. In this price range You may buy a much better shotgun, used 870 from 60's or 70's that will be of much higher quality than anything Remington today. It may not be so pretty, it may not have tactical BS written all over, but it will be a better shotgun. It may be 2 3/4" only, but for HD application it doesn't matter. Express has more plastic parts inside than Police, however Police version today isn't as nice as Wingmaster used to be back in the days. Police evaluated from Wingmaster BTW into "pay more to have what You should have at the first place" shotgun. Good luck.

So nestor ,
do tell,what plastic parts does a new express have inside?

Buffering
11-08-2011, 17:23
:popcorn:

Nestor
11-08-2011, 17:43
So nestor ,
do tell,what plastic parts does a new express have inside?

Easy to google, but here we go:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_1/177796_.html

The Express Model has:
A plastic trigger group.
The dimples in the mag tube and the new style plastic magazine retention system, EXCEPT on the extended magazine versions, which do NOT have the dimples.
A rougher finish inside and outside, with machine marks and some burrs left.
A rougher, bead blasted blue job.
A less polished bore.
A two piece sleeved barrel,
Hardwood or synthetic stock, with a sporting-length fore end and pressed-in checkering.
The Defense version has 18", Cylinder bore barrel, with a bead sight.
The Marine Magnum and Tactical models have plated or polymer finishes.
Some Metal Injection Molded (MIM) parts, like the extractor.

The Wingmaster has:
An aluminum trigger group.
The old style magazine retention system.
A much smoother finish inside and out, no machine marks or burrs.
The Wingmaster gun receives a higher level of inspection and finishing.
A fine, commercial polished blue finish.
A polished bore.
A chrome plated bolt.
A one piece barrel.
Walnut stocks with the famous "Bowling Pin" finish in gloss or satin. and better checkering.
Wide choices in barrel lengths and choke options.
No use of MIM parts, the extractor is milled.
The Wingmaster is the full top-of-the-line commercial Remington pump gun, and is priced accordingly.

cburgin
11-08-2011, 18:20
then what about the mossberg 590a1?

Andrewsky
11-10-2011, 08:23
The 870 Express works fine, but is inferior to a Wingmaster or Police. I've ran into a number of people who bought an Express and get very defensive about it after the fact. The difference in the smoothness of the action between an Express and a Police or Wingmaster is immense. Only gunsmithing would close the gap. It would take a million years for use alone to get an Express to be as smooth.

In my experience the Wingmaster has a lot better corrosion protection than the Express. It also seems to resist getting dinged and scratched better.

I wouldn't go changing parts on an Express. They work fine as they are. I've never even heard of anyone breaking an Express extractor. You're probably about one million times more likely to short stroke the action than have your extractor break. The springs don't matter.

MrMurphy
11-10-2011, 12:44
The corrosion protection is better on a Wingmaster because it's blued. The Express has a different beadblast finish. It works fine for most things but does not like humidity (as I've found out).

The 870 Police series is built as good as a Wingmaster, though not quite as smooth internally, and it's Parkerized.

I'd take an 870 P or Mossberg 590A1 over a Wingmaster in the HD role unless i just happened on one for a hell of a price.

Nestor
11-10-2011, 13:37
I've ran into a number of people who bought an Express and get very defensive about it after the fact.

There is nothing wrong with going cheap, but it's one funny experience when one who did that thinks that he's smarter than someone who went quality instead.
I don't know about the market South of the border, but here quality, older Wingmaster can be found quite often and most of them are priced nicely (usually those are coming from the older folks who can't shoot shotgun anymore). Can't really say the same about the Police versions. All I'm saying is that the older Wingmaster has the best quality/price ratio on the market. However if You can afford Police - go for it. :wavey:

tenntornado
11-10-2011, 13:51
I completely agree with Nestor on this one. The 870 Express works fine, but is inferior to a Wingmaster or Police. I've ran into a number of people who bought an Express and get very defensive about it after the fact. The difference in the smoothness of the action between an Express and a Police or Wingmaster is immense. Only gunsmithing would close the gap. It would take a million years for use alone to get an Express to be as smooth.

In my experience the Wingmaster has a lot better corrosion protection than the Express. It also seems to resist getting dinged and scratched better.

I wouldn't go changing parts on an Express. They work fine as they are. I've never even heard of anyone breaking an Express extractor. You're probably about one million times more likely to short stroke the action than have your extractor break. The springs don't matter.

There is nothing to get defensive about,except for Nestors repeated spreading of bull**** on the internet,like
Wingmasters shoot better patterns than expresses
Wingmasters have less plastic internal parts than expresses,then copying and pasteing a thread from another forum that does not even say anything to that effect.The poster Nestor quoted from arfcom knows less about expresses than nestor,lined barrels my ass.
Nestor have you ever taken an 870 apart?
Any hoo I am done .

Nestor
11-10-2011, 13:56
There is nothing to get defensive about,except for Nestors repeated spreading of bull**** on the internet,like
Wingmasters shoot better patterns than expresses
Wingmasters have less plastic internal parts than expresses,then copying and pasteing a thread from another forum that does not even say anything to that effect.The poster Nestor quoted from arfcom knows less about expresses than nestor,lined barrels my ass.
Nestor have you ever taken an 870 apart?
Any hoo I am done .

That's the best example of what we are talking about. Yes, have a nice day.

Aceman
11-10-2011, 19:03
while i recognize and acknowledge all of JD's points, exactly what won't a Maverick 88 do that an 870 will?

I'd feel just a secure with either in my hands - although i'll stick with my 500.

Nestor
11-10-2011, 19:23
while i recognize and acknowledge all of JD's points, exactly what won't a Maverick 88 do that an 870 will?

I'd feel just a secure with either in my hands - although i'll stick with my 500.

Chevrolet vs Cadillac kind of problem. It's all about the approach.

CrackerKen
11-10-2011, 20:16

I say, nothing. They will both more than adequately kill someone graveyard dead, as needed.

Using the car analogy - BOTH vehicles will get you where you are going.

IMHO, to a great extent, it's prestige. It's like - "My toy is better than your toy 'cause I paid lots and lots more money for it.:tongueout:"

Some of us are not independently wealthy and/or don't have unlimited discretionary income. Sometimes, when reading various threads here on the forum, I believe that there must be some rather fortunate and wealthy folks here among us, or else they are going into the poor house buying guns and ammo. I have no problem with someone having that sort of money, and them spending it, but not all of us can do so.

Per many assertions on this thread, the Remington 870 rules the roost, like the Cadillac or Mercedes of the shotgun world, yet there is talk about the need for mods, refinishing, poor finishes, rusting, and all sorts of stuff. Is the 870 not go to go right out of the box?

To suggest that someone doesn't value their life, or that they are really screwed up and mistaken because they select a firearm other than an 870 is absurd. I don't fault anyone who can spend $400 to $1000 on a home defense shotgun, but I don't think demeaning people who decide to buy a $180 to $200 shotgun is a good thing. I plan on buying a HD shotgun soon, and all I plan to do is clean it, test it with a box or two of shells, clean it again, and put it in the corner of my room. I can't justify buying a high end shotgun for that, when a cheaper one such as a Maverick 88 or an H&R (even a basic Mossberg 500) will more than adequately serve my purpose.

Nestor
11-10-2011, 20:30
The Remington is much more solid shotgun that will last much longer than aluminum frame Maverick. By saying that picking up the better tool for the job one must be driven by prestige...You are not exactly right. If You would be right on that, all the police cruisers would be riding around carrying the Mavericks instead, but somehow...they don't. Nothing about the prestige thing behind that...just logic, record track of service and experience.

CrackerKen
11-10-2011, 20:46
I guess it depends on the intended use of the shotgun. I wouldn't want a Maverick in my police car either (I've been there, done that).

cyphertext
11-10-2011, 20:52
I would not feel like I was at a disadvantage with a Maverick 88. From my experience, these are decent shotguns and are a good value. I have purchased used Wingmasters for less than the price of a new Maverick, but that took some looking and haggling. I think the Maverick could serve you well in the HD role, if you don't care about all of the tactical goodies. My HD shotgun is a $125 pawn shop special. It is a well used 1959 Wingmaster, with the barrel cut down to 18.5", and a fiber optic bead on it. Nothing tactical, no light, no extended tube. Just plain jane shotgun with wood furniture. Works for me.

Nestor
11-10-2011, 20:58
I guess it depends on the intended use of the shotgun. I wouldn't want a Maverick in my police car either (I've been there, done that).

Life has no price, especially the life of your loved ones or people You are responsible for. This is the good enough reason to equip yourself with the best tool that You can afford for the job. I've never noticed anyone making fun of anybody who bought a base model shotgun. However there is funny sentiment out there of those who went cheap to bash those who did choose the other way around.

cyphertext
11-10-2011, 21:03

I wouldn't recommend the Maverick for that role. LEO shotguns seem to live a hard life, constantly in and out of the cruiser, getting banged up as they are taken in and out. But for the occasional hunting or round of clays and the rest of the time sitting in the closet just in case, I think the Maverick would be fine.

CrackerKen
11-10-2011, 21:15
As for me - I don't care if folks buy high quality expensive shotguns. No problem at all. If you can afford them, buy them. It's good to support the industry. I just don't want folks looking down their noses at me if I choose to go for the economy model.

For clarification - I didn't carry a Maverick on the job. I just meant that I had been in the police business. Starting off, I carried a Mossberg riot gun (parkerized, heat shield, bayonet lug) issued out of the armory. Later, I got a High Standard Flite King, cut down the barrel, and carried it for years.

When I buy, it will most likely be a new basic Mossberg 500. Just for fun, I'll hit the used racks at the local gun and pawn shops and see whats around, but I lean towards new.

Andrewsky
11-10-2011, 21:42
I know this is kind of unusual, but my local shop has about 10 police trade-in 870 Police and Wingmasters for $240.

furioso2112
11-10-2011, 21:47
Nothing against any of the guns listed thus far, but I'll add another to the mix:

Benelli SuperNova Tactical. I have one and like its build quality, handling, features, and price. I do not like the expense of some aftermarket parts and relative lack of them. 12g pump, ghost ring sights, pic. rail for a red dot (can't remember if that's standard), pistol grip, does good for an inexpensive 3-gun shotgun, too, so you can get some practice with it moving and shooting. ~$350 last I checked, though it's been a while. I put a $40 tac-star tube extension on mine (OEM extension is available), a front-end pic rail (for a light, though I've never used one on it except to check for fit and function) and 6-shell holder/pic rail.

Nestor
11-11-2011, 09:21
I know this is kind of unusual, but my local shop has about 10 police trade-in 870 Police and Wingmasters for $240.

Now that's called a great opportunity. I would jump on one in a heartbeat.

ArmoryDoc
11-11-2011, 11:40

I would be all over one if I didn't already have one.

Andrewsky
11-11-2011, 13:48
I would be all over one if I didn't already have one.

Mine even had Speedfeed furniture:

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb30/Andrewsky89/Tools/870P001.jpg

windplex
11-11-2011, 16:24
Hatsan Arms -- Escort 12 gauge pump shotgun

http://www.hatsan.com.tr/escort_mp.asp
http://www.hatsan.com.tr/escort_aimguard.asp

Here is a thought I have had. I am willing to pay $500 and more for a glock hand gun. Why do I feel the need to spend less for a good shotgun??? I do feel that urge perhaps due to there being less expensive options out there. but I do ask myself why is a glock hand gun worth $500 but $500 feels like too much for for a better grade of home defense shot gun? my logic says I should gladly pay $500 for the shotgun.

Glockdude1
11-11-2011, 16:34

$240 for all of them???

(I am kidding..... :tongueout:)

ArmoryDoc
11-11-2011, 17:38
mine even had speedfeed furniture:

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb30/andrewsky89/tools/870p001.jpg

sweet !

Nestor
11-11-2011, 18:34
Here is a thought I have had. I am willing to pay $500 and more for a glock hand gun. Why do I feel the need to spend less for a good shotgun??? I do feel that urge perhaps due to there being less expensive options out there. but I do ask myself why is a glock hand gun worth $500 but $500 feels like too much for for a better grade of home defense shot gun? my logic says I should gladly pay $500 for the shotgun.

Exactly, I mean for me and many others out there the shotgun is the first (and maybe the last as well) line of defense while at home. That would be the last firearm I'm going to save my money on.

Glockdude1
11-12-2011, 08:55
http://www.hr1871.com/images/zoom_tamer_20g_2.jpg

The Snake Charmer is used by many people for home protection.

I wish they were made in 12Ga!!

:cool:

ArmoryDoc
11-12-2011, 09:19
Just buy an H&R breakover single shot in 12ga. It would be the same gun minus the spare rounds rack and grip. If I'm gonna go 18" though, I'm gonna have pump capability instead of single shot.

outback45
11-13-2011, 08:08
I have two 870s. One is black and tactical, and the other is for shooting trap. The second gun had serious problems with the action as described below. It was rough and would sometimes lock up entirely between shots. After disassembling the gun, cleaning it thoroughly (again), and shooting it a lot, the action smoothed out and no longer binds. However, after feeling the silky smooth action on a Wingmaster, I can say that there likely is a big difference in quality between an express and a Wing. That's my experience. But for the record, I love my 870 express tactical. I think I just got unlucky with the field model.

I like the 870 I have two. I would look for a used older one. I have the express and a 1970's Wingmaster. I was looking at a new 870 in a shop and the action was very ruff and felt gritty. The old ones are so much smoother.
Maybe it was just that one but it felt like it was full of sand. I got my Express used about 15 years ago for $215 and it's been flawless.

unit1069
11-13-2011, 10:50
I bought a pistol grip Maverick 88 with 18.5" barrel brand new in 1994 just before moving from Texas to California. (Didn't want to go through any 15-day wait in the aftermath of the Rodney King riots). The pistol grip 12 gauge is just too punishing for me and the gun pretty much sat on the shelf until early last year when I bought a Knoxx Reduced Recoil Adjustable stock on clearance sale from MidwayUSA.

The last time at the range I put a 100-round box of ValuePak (Remington or Federal, I don't remember) and the next day I had only a slight soreness in my shoulder. The Knoxx system works as advertised. I also prefer the pistol grip for a home defense shotgun which the Knoxx has, so I've got less than $300 in a basic HD shotgun that's never given me a bit of mechanical trouble. The only thing I need to do is shoot it more often as the 100-round 12 gauge ValuePak is cheaper than 9mm WWB ValuePak ammo.

HexHead
11-13-2011, 11:13
Nothing wrong at all with Mossberg 500 series or old Winchester 1300s for that matter (except they're no longer being made... the Winchester)

The Winchester 1300 has resurfaced as the Super-X pump, or SXP. FN is making them in Turkey. I was planning on getting one, but I think I'm going to get a Mossberg SA-20 instead now.

LawScholar
11-13-2011, 11:32
Remington 870 all day. My favorite derivations are Express Tactical, Police, and Marine Magnum.

dooga
11-13-2011, 12:31
I have an 870P and I have yet to set it up for HD and have never fired 00 but it's my first and only shotgun and serves me well in trap, skeet, and wobble with a 28 barrel.

What's the best extended tube magazine for my stock 870 Police with wood furniture? Default Remington extension? How many extra rounds fit flush with the default police barrel?

Don H
11-13-2011, 15:56
I have an 870P and I have yet to set it up for HD and have never fired 00 but it's my first and only shotgun and serves me well in trap, skeet, and wobble with a 28 barrel.

What's the best extended tube magazine for my stock 870 Police with wood furniture? Default Remington extension? How many extra rounds fit flush with the default police barrel?

I have a a couple of the stock rem extensions however I like these better.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Magazine-Extension-Tubes-Followers-Springs/products/163/

Andrewsky
11-13-2011, 17:47

I would eschew the extension. You lose 2 shots at the bottom of the magazine but you have less weight, easier take-down, and better reliability.

dooga
11-15-2011, 16:55
I would eschew the extension. You lose 2 shots at the bottom of the magazine but you have less weight, easier take-down, and better reliability.

Great advice. Thanks.

Aceman
11-15-2011, 20:23
The Remington is much more solid shotgun that will last much longer than aluminum frame Maverick. By saying that picking up the better tool for the job one must be driven by prestige...You are not exactly right. If You would be right on that, all the police cruisers would be riding around carrying the Mavericks instead, but somehow...they don't. Nothing about the prestige thing behind that...just logic, record track of service and experience.

It's just total lack of reality on your part. For a home HD gun - I could take and put ten 870's in 10 homes, and 10 88's in ten homes.

I'll take the gun to the range every six months and run 15 rounds through it. I'll give a basic clean after each session, and put it back in the corner.

All 20 guns will run flawlessly until long after both of us are dead.

Based on your logic, we should all be using Benelli M4's - it's just logical.

** for the record - I think that gun should have 30 rounds or more through it every month.
** I'd hardly call an 870 a 'prestige' gun

ScrappyDoo
11-15-2011, 21:37
]Life has no price, especially the life of your loved ones or people You are responsible for. This is the good enough reason to equip yourself with the best tool that You can afford for the job. I've never noticed anyone making fun of anybody who bought a base model shotgun. However there is funny sentiment out there of those who went cheap to bash those who did choose the other way around[/B].

this post could and should saved somewhere and nominated for one of the best posts of the year at least if not ever.

These people seem to continually bash people with sneering insults and downright ignorant rudeness when it comes to especially shotguns more expensive and better etc than theirs. I have never made fun or picked on looked down etc someone for having a less expensive shotgun or less " tactical " etc. But I'm am so sorry to tellmyou that just because youre PROUD of the old plain 870 and it's " never failed ya once " doesn make it any better than the modern military grade war fighting shotguns of the 21st century. I'm sirry it doesn't no matter how much " propaganda" certain people will tell you otherwise. There is a reason we selected high end shotguns with features we need / want / appreciate ... Frankly if you cant understand it ) or secretly cnt afford it ? ( why attack those that have them ?

Especially those who showoff their AR projects that are straight off the SOPMOD chopping block and custom 1911s costing thousands. Cool thats fine with me I ain't mad at ya. Maybe you'll even use those for home defense someday or all day. The shotgun is basically the dictionary definition of most popular / most prevalent " etc home defense weapon , maybe that's where some people chose to invest their money's. Not Every single person wants or cares about the 870 and its long history. Theres s reason the military has those pesky M500/590 And the Benelli M4

Nestor
11-16-2011, 04:53
It's just total lack of reality on your part.

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

I'll take the gun to the range every six months and run 15 rounds through it. I'll give a basic clean after each session, and put it back in the corner.

Anyone doing this doesn't need any shotgun. Phone will serve him better. Pre-program 911 first.
As Col Cooper said - “Owning a gun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”

Based on your logic, we should all be using Benelli M4's - it's just logical.

If this is the best shotgun that You can afford and on top of it this model works for You (integral part of being "the best for any application"), than yes.
Why not? Anything wrong with that? If the price is the factor behind "being the best" than it's nothing more, but show-off. Tool is useless without the man
and his skills behind it. Are You suggesting maybe that the owners of Benelli M4 care about the show-off part only?

cburgin
11-17-2011, 12:08
Could someone elaborate on the 590a1 please. I have read this entire thread and though there is a lot of good info, I still dont know what to do about my OP questions.

Victoriagotagun
11-17-2011, 12:33
Could someone elaborate on the 590a1 please. I have read this entire thread and though there is a lot of good info, I still dont know what to do about my OP questions.

I have two of the 18.5" 590A1's. Both have never had any problems and there are plenty of modifications for them. I haven't priced them recently but they shouldn't be more than $500.

Nestor
11-17-2011, 14:41

This Gentleman did just that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmdMNwSxEcs&feature=related

You may want to read the comments posted under the video as well.

cowboywannabe
11-17-2011, 15:57
well for God's sake dont use a pistol grip for a Mossberg Maverick 88.

my mav88 has a 18.5" bbl and with remington 00 buck and a pistol grip it hurt like hell to shoot it. me thinks either reduced recoil federal 00 buck or even #1 buck would be better, but for me, that pistol grip crap with 00 buck is for the birds in this gun....too light, too much kick.....me no likey.

Dogbite
11-20-2011, 15:50
People with the Maverick 88 shotguns, let me ask a question. Have you shot any high brass slugs and buckshot out of your gun? The reason I am asking is that I sold some high brass slugs to a customer. He later told me that he and a friend were shooting them, and his shotgun would cylce them, but his friends Maverick 88 would not cycle them. Dont know why, but I am sure he was telling the truth. Might be just his gun, you never know, but I was wondering.

I sell and have owned a ton of tactical shotguns. I lean towards an 870, or Mossberg lines.

Motor City Glocker
11-21-2011, 13:17
I wouldn't recommend the Maverick for that role. LEO shotguns seem to live a hard life, constantly in and out of the cruiser, getting banged up as they are taken in and out. But for the occasional hunting or round of clays and the rest of the time sitting in the closet just in case, I think the Maverick would be fine.

I bought my Maverick for this very reason. Every four or five months it goes to the range; otherwise it's locked in my closet. It's just fine for a HD shotgun.

cowboywannabe
11-21-2011, 13:32
im going to try mine out with #4 buck to see how much or less it kicks with that load........

windplex
11-21-2011, 14:23
This Gentleman did just that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmdMNwSxEcs&feature=related

You may want to read the comments posted under the video as well.

makes me want one!

cowboywannabe
11-22-2011, 10:07
that guy is fun to watch, wish i was his neighbor.........

PostMortemElvis
11-22-2011, 19:32
I use an S12, perfectly reliable with the plug dialed in and a hell of a lot of fun to practice with.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/raindog314159/DSC_4400.jpg

Texas357
11-22-2011, 20:59
People with the Maverick 88 shotguns, let me ask a question. Have you shot any high brass slugs and buckshot out of your gun? The reason I am asking is that I sold some high brass slugs to a customer. He later told me that he and a friend were shooting them, and his shotgun would cylce them, but his friends Maverick 88 would not cycle them. Dont know why, but I am sure he was telling the truth. Might be just his gun, you never know, but I was wondering.

I sell and have owned a ton of tactical shotguns. I lean towards an 870, or a Mossberg lines.

Wouldn't feed new shells, or wouldn't eject? I'd suspect if anything that a crimp that causes the tip of the shell to be out of round might be keeping it from chambering properly. My Maverick 88 eats anything. I knew a guy whose 88 would feel frozen up after every shot, but the thing was so full of gunk the bolt wouldn't unlock. The gun is tough enough you could slam the butt into the ground and get it loose though. Any pump shotgun that gunked up would probably behave similar.

Mossberg 500 and Maverick 88 barrels are interchangeable (for same magazine size).

Dutch1911
11-27-2011, 23:17
Remington 870 police magnum...

Dogbite
11-28-2011, 23:17
Wouldn't feed new shells, or wouldn't eject? I'd suspect if anything that a crimp that causes the tip of the shell to be out of round might be keeping it from chambering properly. My Maverick 88 eats anything. I knew a guy whose 88 would feel frozen up after every shot, but the thing was so full of gunk the bolt wouldn't unlock. The gun is tough enough you could slam the butt into the ground and get it loose though. Any pump shotgun that gunked up would probably behave similar.

Mossberg 500 and Maverick 88 barrels are interchangeable (for same magazine size).

Yeah you never know about people, it's possible he never ever cleaned it. The vast majority of shooters dont clean their guns regularly. It is amazing what comes into the shop.

DreamWeaver88
12-02-2011, 19:46
This is weird. Usually when people here ask about their first shotgun for HD, they also want to do a little hunting with it.....and maybe shoot some clays......and maybe learn a little Exhibition Shooting........

DW

voiceofreason
12-17-2011, 15:45
Get something with a stock. Anything past 21 feet is actually harder to hit than you'd think without a stock. Forget the whole "scattergun" concept.

You obviously have to aim a shotgun.

ScrappyDoo
12-17-2011, 16:31
Get something with a stock. Anything past 21 feet is actually harder to hit than you'd think without a stock. Forget the whole "scattergun" concept.

You obviously have to aim a shotgun.

That is the stupidest sheeeeeeit I ever seen, everyone knows that ain't true. All you do is load up the shotgun (and candy-striping is the BEST way to go the ONLY way to go, you know formulate a nasty assty combo secret recipe of buckshot, slug, birdshot, and switch em accordingly to your secret recipe) AND THEN you just point the general direction of the bad guy, and pull that trigger (only dumbos SQUEEZE a trigger son!) --- and a WALL OF LEAD just frags the badguy like POW POW POW Son! Easier than wreckin fools with my M4SD on SOCOM III for PS3.

like DUH son. You ain't got to AIM. SHOTGUN, Duh!

ArcAngel
12-17-2011, 16:40
Might wanna try a Bersa Thunder Plus, it holds 15 rounds in it's clip and they make .380 shot shells that are proven manstoppers. I read it on the internet. That's what I am gonna get when I finally get my disability check and refill my food stamp card!

ScrappyDoo
12-18-2011, 11:57
Might wanna try a Bersa Thunder Plus, it holds 15 rounds in it's clip and they make .380 shot shells that are proven manstoppers. I read it on the internet. That's what I am gonna get when I finally get my disability check and refill my food stamp card!

That REALLY made me LAUGH and CRY because, believe it or not, MORE THAN ONCE , ON THIS VERY FORUM, I read something like that and/or very close to it. I guess I started reading late 09 and got my paperwork and FID/PPP here in Jersey in early early 10. So then I got my first purchase a G23 and started reading writing and researching more.

I hadn't much interest in the AR platform nor any knowledge (how that changed fast lol!) so I wasn't the least bit interested in some arguments that were going on here but I literally read threads bashing certain AR brands, say Bushmaster/etc. and promoting, I believe I distinctly remember BCM once, and the guy says "THOSE SUCK, BCM Are the best !! THE ONLY WAY TO GO, What I Trust MY FAMILY's life to!!! Well that is, when I become employed and get to working a new job, get some money, take care of the stuff my kids need like food and clothes etc. pay some bills, etc. and THEN I'm have me a SWEET BCM AR setup, -insert all this good stuff for ARs here, really nice really expensive, etc.- so YOURS SUCKS BCM IS BEST And MINE IS gonna be SO SWEET.

Soon as I get off unemployment and get me a job. my stupid unemployment check ain't even enough to entertain me, let alone you know, feed the kids etc.

Devans0
12-18-2011, 21:12
I bought my first shotgun two days ago. It will be the HD shotgun. What I chose was the Remington 870 Express youth 20 ga with a wood stock. It is small enough for my wife to use, but big enough to still get the job done. It came with a Trijicon front and ghost ring rear sight, which for my eyesight, works better than a bead sight.

I added a two shot extension tube to it, and will be rechecking the pattern for #2 and #3 buckshot in 2 3/4" and 3" mags tomorrow. Bird shot pattern was about 6 in at 15 ft with the mod choke which would be good for my HD "Alamo barricade" drills. The only other thing that I want is a light, but don't have a clue on what will work for what I want. I do know that I want to be able to articulate and defend why I was justified in pulling the trigger in an HD situation. I try to avoid black guns for this reason.

I followed this and other similar threads and learned a lot, enough to make a decent decision for my needs. Thanks for the information and opinions.

fasteddie565
12-23-2011, 05:04
Nestor / Aceman,

Fellas, you guys both make good points.

Nestor, I agree 100% with your logic, but unfortunately, not everyone can afford an M4 (I am blessed to have one as well). I carry a Kimber 1911 or a Glock 45 and shoot a POF AR.

When training women and girly men to shoot, I put most of my clients in a Colt Detective Special. After a bout a year of teachning, I learned that some folks either buy an inexpensive weapon or no weapon at all. I had about 15-20 ladies show up in a period of 3 months (I gave private lessons) with Jennings 25. Not only a cheap gun, but a very unreliable gun. After doing some research, I went to the gun store selling them and asked if he would give them a break on a Taurus, I would send him all of my students. Now they had a more reliable weapon (after the Taurus Upgrade) at a price they can afford.

Aceman, I am blessed to be able to shoot everyday and I can tell you I have clients / friends show up with less expensive guns and under stress, they fail much more often, actually at an alarming rate than a quality firearm. 15 rds or even 50 rds every few months is no way to stress a weapon on which you will bet your life.

This comes from experience in seeing these weapons being shot under stress and not carried in a car or stored in a closet or read about on the Internet. I am not calling either one of you out, just trying to validate my opinion.

Nestor
12-23-2011, 05:26
Nestor / Aceman,

Fellas, you guys both make good points.

Nestor, I agree 100% with your logic, but unfortunately, not everyone can afford an M4 (I am blessed to have one as well). I carry a Kimber 1911 or a Glock 45 and shoot a POF AR.

When training women and girly men to shoot, I put most of my clients in a Colt Detective Special. After a bout a year of teachning, I learned that some folks either buy an inexpensive weapon or no weapon at all. I had about 15-20 ladies show up in a period of 3 months (I gave private lessons) with Jennings 25. Not only a cheap gun, but a very unreliable gun. After doing some research, I went to the gun store selling them and asked if he would give them a break on a Taurus, I would send him all of my students. Now they had a more reliable weapon (after the Taurus Upgrade) at a price they can afford.

Aceman, I am blessed to be able to shoot everyday and I can tell you I have clients / friends show up with less expensive guns and under stress, they fail much more often, actually at an alarming rate than a quality firearm. 15 rds or even 50 rds every few months is no way to stress a weapon on which you will bet your life.

This comes from experience in seeing these weapons being shot under stress and not carried in a car or stored in a closet or read about on the Internet. I am not calling either one of you out, just trying to validate my opinion.

True. You are doing a good job for sure and thanks for that. You see, funny part is that I don't own M4 and I'm not planning to do so. That is because I'm far more familiar and confident with the 870. I'm not saying that Remington is better than M4, because probably it's not true. It's just better for me. I don't understand and can't support the sentiment that stands behind bashing the people who are spending more on guns...than me or You. If You are going cheap...You know, it's fine, just don't pretend to be much smarter than the other guy who went with the better quality stuff than You did. If he doesn't train with his firearms they are useless anyway, but if he does, the chances are that he's just better prepared than...me or You. The fact that You did spend less doesn't make You an ass, but the whole attitude I'm talking about...well, it does.

chr_edw
01-08-2012, 13:02
Well done video. It helped alot.

P.S Nice stash of Spam !

I love the redundant reliability (or perceived reliability) of "dual extractors on my $180 used plain Jane Mossberg 500.

I like my 500 so much that I thought I'd make a video for those who might be shopping around for HD shotguns and could benefit from some helpful info and opinions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtJ_VUMPprI

Remingtons are legendary in their own right and I use them at work (re-qualified on an 870 just the other day as a matter of fact)...but there are a few things I am not a fan of on them personally. Just a preference thing. They are both good choices either way.

chr_edw
01-08-2012, 13:06
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ne6IJ3TmbIo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

typhon666
01-09-2012, 11:25
just buy a maverick tactical... it is made by Mossberg and cost less than $200. It has a short bbl (i think 18" or so) high cap tube and did i mention cheap. I think my local fleet supply had them on sale for $169 last week

cburgin
01-09-2012, 20:34
Ended up getting an 870 express for christmas. However, it had wooded stocks and a 25 inch barrel. So, I want to replace the barrel and install a extention. I read where there is some fab work to do this...Can anyone help with this info?

Buffering
01-09-2012, 20:44
This is an easy one to answer. Go to aippi's site and he can take care of you or go to gunbroker and browse some of his wares.

It's no more complicated than that.

Welcome to the 870 club. It's where the cool kids hang out.

http://www.aiptactical.com/ Aippi is very generous with his time and advice on this forum and you can learn a great deal about your 870 from him.