Question for No. TX, DFW Police Officers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question for No. TX, DFW Police Officers

Orclin
11-05-2011, 12:23
A friend of mind recently had an item stolen from him. His son stole it, so he won't be filing a complaint. Probably pawned or sold for scrap.

My question had to do with Pawn Shops. The item was stolen in Arlington but I want to check all No. TX cities.

Do Pawn Shops have to file a description of recently pawned items to their local Police Dept?
If so is there anyway I can search these lists and look for the item?
Or any other way I can search?
I want to try and find it and return it to him. I will probably have to buy it from the shop but that's fine with me.

The item is fairly unique, as you can see below, so I know it won't be too hard to find if there is a list.

Any help or ideas on how to find this will be greatly appreciated. Calling or visiting the 100's of stores in DFW is not practical.
Thanks,
Scott

Description:
Longhorn
Bronze Figurine on wooden base
7.5" x 5.5"
Signed, numbered, copyrighted 2010

Cochese
11-05-2011, 12:34
Scott,

I am a former DFW LEO. You wont have access to any database unless you are a LEO.

My advice is call area pawn shops the old fashioned way, or have him just file a police report. His son is a dirtbag and needs a county attitude adjustment.

My .02

Orclin
11-06-2011, 07:58
Scott,

I am a former DFW LEO. You wont have access to any database unless you are a LEO.

My .02

In that case, is there any protocol when I can ask/request/apply for the local LEO to check for me without a police report?

Scott

GunFighter45ACP
11-06-2011, 08:14
You are going to have to file a police report first. After that, if you want to do your own leg work of running around & contacting any/all pawnshops in the local area, you might have a shop owner or so, help you out. Without a police report though, I doubt the shops are going to do too much to help you, let alone turn over said property to you if they have it.

Cochese
11-06-2011, 11:52
He is right on.

RyanNREMTP
11-06-2011, 13:48
Have a police report filed. The longer you wait, the harder it will be to get the item back. If you go and find the item without one, then no lesson is learned by the son and he will steal again.

Nick.45
11-06-2011, 16:37
Back when I was a senior in high school my little sister stole my twin sisters debit card and someone knew the PIN number. She proceeded to withdraw $20 from 3 different ATMs. We found out about it and she admitted to it but said that she did it because she thought she was owed the money. The bank would do nothing about it until a police report was filed.

We filed the report and my little sister was charged with the theft after she was caught on camera at all 3 ATMs. The bank refunded the money after the report was filed. She was a minor and was given 6 months probation. She hated us at the time, but she got over it.

Unfortunately, she never learned from the experience and is still a low life. :dunno:

SCSU74
11-08-2011, 11:18
at least for our agency you need a report #. you can make the report over the phone and they will give you a case number. from there i would just start calling... it's really tough without a serial number as those can be entered as stolen and will flag at any pawn shop.

Orclin
11-11-2011, 12:19
Thanks everyone.
As I said in the beginning, dad won't be filing a complaint.
This kid (now early 20's) has a history of drugs and theft (spent felony time in jail for possession), but his parents have been trying to get him clean and once again opened their home to him in an attempt to help. He had been going to outpatient rehab (again), but fell off the wagon (again).
Mom and Dad have big hearts and even though they know their son has problems, they are still parents and wanted to try again.
I am just trying to do something nice for good people who have a bad seed in the family. The three other boys turned out alright, ones a jar head (ooh-rah), ones in college and the last still in high school.

Thanks,
Scott

Sam Spade
11-11-2011, 18:34
They need to learn the difference between helping and enabling.

user1
11-12-2011, 12:08
I'm going to assume that replies to the original poster about the "filing of a police report" refers not to the poster, but to the victim. i hope the LE Agencies in Texas are not accepting crime reports from friends, neighbors, or anyone else except the person who is the victim of the crime.

Orclin
11-14-2011, 18:54
I know they meant the victim when they advised filing a report. Never even entered my mind for me to file.
Scott

car541
11-14-2011, 22:18
Tell "your friend" to buy a new longhorn.

The kid probably sold it to a scrap metal dealer, who has already melted it. He probably got $15 for it, and has already smoked the proceeds.

I know this sounds really cynical, but that's how it goes. The longhorn is gone. Do not try to provide your "friend" some false hope that the Longhorn is coming back. it aint.

Anyway, what "your friend" really wants is his kid to be someone he can trust, and that aint never happening, bronze steer or not.

My only real question is whether the kid is a tweaker or a crackhead?