Remington 870 slide lock problems? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Remington 870 slide lock problems?

Tippyman
11-05-2011, 14:15
I just shot my brand new 870 Express today. (6+1, 18" BBL.)

I had quite a few times where after firing the slide would not come back. I had to try to rack the shotgun 10-15 times before it would come back and extract the shell. Pressing the slide release had no effect on the issue.

I thought a 870 pump was the most reliable shotgun ever!!! AAARRGH!!!

Ljunatic
11-05-2011, 14:46
Cheap steel based hulls sticking in the chamber is very common

Tippyman
11-05-2011, 14:55
So you think it's a similar problem to when a rifle's brass gets stuck in the chamber?

I was mainly using "Remington Sport" value pack.

aippi
11-05-2011, 16:22
Go to www.aiptactical.com (http://www.aiptactical.com) and click on the red link "Install and cleaning" make a chamber rod like on that page and follow my instruction and your issue is over.

Tippyman
11-05-2011, 18:01
Go to www.aiptactical.com (http://www.aiptactical.com) and click on the red link "Install and cleaning" make a chamber rod like on that page and follow my instruction and your issue is over.

How do I know how far into the barrel to go? 3"? Will it hurt the barrel if I go too far?

micdude
11-05-2011, 18:23
good idea, smooth bore you cant hurt it.

Tippyman
11-06-2011, 14:30
Just polished it with 00 steel wool followed by 0000 steel wool followed by some Brasso on a 12g brush. Feels smooth, guess we'll see tomorrow when I go to the range.

I guess the dowel was a little off balance because there are what appears to be a few "hotspots" when looking in the chamber. It seems like more polishing was done in a few spiraling spots. Do you think this will be a problem or lead to rust?

Buffering
11-06-2011, 15:20
If you are concerned with rust just a swab with some gun oil will address that concern. You just to knock off and smooth with the dowel technique. You will be fine.

aippi
11-06-2011, 16:25
There is no way you can hurt the chamber with steel wool. You wasted your time with that brush and other cleaner. That was not in my instructions on that link. Just use rod and steel wool each time you clean the weapon and you will have a clean chamber.

Tippyman
11-06-2011, 16:34
There is no way you can hurt the chamber with steel wool. You wasted your time with that brush and other cleaner. That was not in my instructions on that link. Just use rod and steel wool each time you clean the weapon and you will have a clean chamber.

Good to know. I was just trying to "finish" the polish with some actual polish, haha.

I'll get back to you tomorrow with a range report.

Kaybe
11-06-2011, 17:29
Your slide stop spring could be broken or the left side lever is above the connector instead of below it.

Tippyman
11-06-2011, 17:45
Your slide stop spring could be broken or the left side lever is above the connector instead of below it.

I'm hoping it is a simple rough chamber that I fixed this afternoon.

My inner pessimist is still skeptical though because the slide didn't budge at all when it happened, like it was a mechanical problem.

Guess we'll see tomorrow!

Tippyman
11-07-2011, 16:40
No range report today... but there will be tomorrow!

Tippyman
11-08-2011, 18:00
All better! Ran 50 rounds of cheapo Estate field loads. Not a single hiccup.

Noticed the finish on the gun had some very slight rust from sitting in the trunk of my car for the past two days. I wiped it all down with CLP. On aippi's website he states the finish is like a sponge and needs to have a gun oil on it to prevent rust. I'm hoping letting the clp work its way in will prevent this from returning.

aippi
11-08-2011, 18:45
No, that is the parkerized finish that is like a sponge and has thousands of pours and these hold the oil. You have a matte finish and it is prone to a surface rust. It wipes off easy and will do no damage but you have to stay on top of it. Oil it and put it up, check it often.

Tippyman
11-08-2011, 19:15
Ah, I see. Thanks for the advice! The chamber polish worked a treat!

Off topic, but I've been reading alot about upgrading certain parts in the 870 Express such as the extractor, springs, etc.

I definitely plan on getting the non-MIM extractor for peace of mind, but are any of the springs or other parts benefited from a swap-out?