10mm brass sticking on powder funnel [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 10mm brass sticking on powder funnel

Kwesi
11-05-2011, 19:46
I'm curious what would cause this. Loading on a 550 & powder funnel was completely cleaned. Lowering the ram required a lot of force to free the brass. I finished that batch of brass then cleaned the press. Grabbed another batch of brass & all was normal.

njl
11-05-2011, 20:04
I've found that in 9mm, certain brands of brass stick to the powder funnel more than others. RP is one I don't like because of that. It could be the brass. It could be the brass was "too clean". It could be that the powder funnel could use some scotch-brite.

VN350X10
11-05-2011, 20:16
That happens all the time on new 10MM brass. The cure is to give the inside a good chamfer & the problem goes away.
It is especially noticable on new Starline brass.
Once fired doesn't have this problem.
It's not the fault of the powder funnel, or the brass, just a quirk of new brass & it seems that 10MM is the worst. Don't know why, just is !
In all honesty, ANY new brass should be chamfered before loading.

uncle albert

Steve Koski
11-05-2011, 22:33
New brass of any caliber does that to some extent. Next time through the press it'll slip right off.

Murphy's Law
11-06-2011, 06:58
Why did you not ask the "Instructor" this simple yet "stupid" question? Since I was the individual that toiled over cleaning your power system "which I might add for the first time ever in the 1 1/2 years you've owned the thing" Next time you come over to bother me with silly questions, remind me to give you some steel wool or a little emery cloth and I'll show you a trick for your inexperience.
:tongueout: :tongueout: :tongueout: :supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin:

Kwesi
11-06-2011, 07:48
This was NOT virgin brass so now what would cause this? Gee I hope I'm not asking "my instructor" another stupid question ;-)!

Colorado4Wheel
11-06-2011, 08:28
This was NOT virgin brass so now what would cause this? Gee I hope I'm not asking "my instructor" another stupid question ;-)!

Small bits of brass get imbedded in the funnel expander. Get a Scotch Brite pad and polish it up. OR use some very fine wet/dry sandpaper.

I personally think that the part is made on a lathe and has some circular tool marks on it that grab dirt and crap that cause it to stick. The more I polished mine and they older they got the less trouble I had.

ron59
11-06-2011, 08:50
I personally think that the part is made on a lathe and has some circular tool marks on it that grab dirt and crap that cause it to stick. The more I polished mine and they older they got the less trouble I had.

Definitely this. A year ago my 550B would stick pretty bad with 9mm. I would polish it every few months. These days, I don't polish at all and it really doesn't stick.

Colorado4Wheel
11-06-2011, 09:00
I should really proof my post better :(

ron59
11-06-2011, 10:29
The part I bolded a double entendre?

lol

Colorado4Wheel
11-06-2011, 10:38
It should have said

"the older they got"

But your taking it up a level.

Kwesi
11-07-2011, 17:55
Small bits of brass get imbedded in the funnel expander. Get a Scotch Brite pad and polish it up. OR use some very fine wet/dry sandpaper.

I used some 0000 steel wool even though I couldn't see any brass bits but it provided little improvement.

Colorado4Wheel
11-07-2011, 18:20
Try 600 Grit Wet Sandpaper.