Hollow cavity 12ga. slugs [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hollow cavity 12ga. slugs

emt1581
11-06-2011, 13:41
http://www.firequest.com/G12-012.html

First off, I'm not looking at legal issues but more so capability.

Anyone have any experience with these or anything similar? How would you go about getting an explosive reaction with them?

I think the easier answer is to fill the cavity with gun powder or something else flammable and/or combustible and then seal it up with wax or something and let it fly.

I'm just curious about the logistics and if it'd actually work. Seems like you'd need something to initiate the charge like a primer or something else.

What are your thoughts and/ or experiences?

Thanks

-Emt1581

norton
11-06-2011, 13:55
http://www.firequest.com/G12-012.html

First off, I'm not looking at legal issues but more so capability.

Anyone have any experience with these or anything similar? How would you go about getting an explosive reaction with them?

I think the easier answer is to fill the cavity with gun powder or something else flammable and/or combustible and then seal it up with wax or something and let it fly.

I'm just curious about the logistics and if it'd actually work. Seems like you'd need something to initiate the charge like a primer or something else.

What are your thoughts and/ or experiences?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Interesting EMT. But whats the point of the round?

emt1581
11-06-2011, 13:57
Interesting EMT. But whats the point of the round?

A specific purpose? I'm not sure. But again, looking at the capability, it's got endless possible uses. Would certainly make for a fun trip to the range at the very least!

-Emt1581

Cavalry Doc
11-06-2011, 14:41
It would be interesting to see their instructions. I wonder what they suggest you put in the cavity of the slug.

I see many potential problems loading something that will go "boom" when it hits the target into the cavity.

Seems like anything unstable enough to go "boom" on impact, might also go "boom" with the pressures involved in firing.

I think I'll pass.

emt1581
11-06-2011, 14:42
It would be interesting to see their instructions. I wonder what they suggest you put in the cavity of the slug.

I see many potential problems loading something that will go "boom" when it hits the target into the cavity.

Seems like anything unstable enough to go "boom" on impact, might also go "boom" with the pressures involved in firing.

I think I'll pass.

That's what I was thinking when I mentioned the primers and such. How would you reliably ignite it upon impact and NOT upon firing?

-Emt1581

F106 Fan
11-06-2011, 15:09
"Complete instructions included"

Buy some and read the instructions...

Richard

michael e
11-06-2011, 15:16
Price alone would keep me away from these rounds.

emt1581
11-06-2011, 18:27
"Complete instructions included"

Buy some and read the instructions...

Richard

I'm thinking "instructions" are to do with filling and sealing...NOT getting a safe/reliable detonation.

...otherwise the BATFE might have something to say about it.

-Emt1581

Cavalry Doc
11-06-2011, 19:16
That's what I was thinking when I mentioned the primers and such. How would you reliably ignite it upon impact and NOT upon firing?

-Emt1581

So why wonder? Either buy them and load them up carefully, flinching, and always wondering, or just stick with what works.

Slugs, 00 or 000 buck, sabots.

PCJim
11-06-2011, 20:10
Illegal in my neck of the woods...

790.31 Armor-piercing or exploding ammunition or dragon's breath shotgun shells, bolo shells, or flechette shells prohibited.

(1) As used in this section, the term:
(b) "Exploding bullet" means any bullet that can be fired from any firearm, if such bullet is designed or altered so as to detonate or forcibly break up through the use of an explosive or deflagrant contained wholly or partially within or attached to such bullet. The term does not include any bullet designed to expand or break up through the mechanical forces of impact alone or any signaling device or pest control device not designed to impact on any target.

dkf
11-06-2011, 20:53
Thats why they put this at the end of the description.:whistling:

The sale or shipment of this ammo is also restricted to: All of CA, All of FL, All of IA.

freakshow10mm
11-06-2011, 21:27
Stay away from gimmick ammo. If you want to have onlookers react like children watching fireworks, have at it. Save your money and buy real ammunition that performs well.

M1A Shooter
11-07-2011, 00:04
the powder in the "snap-n-pop" fireworks is a small amount of a contact explosive. you can see on youtube of people adding them up in tissue and making some sort of cheap flash bang type device. not sure id trust it under shotgun recoil though.

ground up strike anywhere match heads may give you a bit of an ignition type reaction if you fill it with these.

may have to google incendiary rounds and see what the compounds are.