Storm lake 6.02" barrel: to port or not to port? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Storm lake 6.02" barrel: to port or not to port?

sylvius
11-06-2011, 14:11
I've decided to get a 6" barrel for my G20 to make it hunting legal in Wisconsin (where I frequently hunt). I like that Storm Lake offers a blued barrel (don't really want a polished stainless barrel for hunting), so will probably order from them. There's a $15 difference between ported and non-ported so basically a monetary non-issue, just trying to decide whether I wanted it ported. Right now, my thinking is probably to get it ported:

1) I have decided against a long slide and with the port holes being beyond the slide, there's no issue of the port holes interfering with the slide, etc.
2) The recoil is not an issue for me (I frequently hunt with a 44 magnum, so am used to a heavy recoil), but the reduced muzzle flip from porting would be nice.
3) I'll work up some heavy hunting loads and I've read that porting has only a very small effect on bullet velocity.
4) The frequent cited downsides to porting don't really apply to hunting.

Any thoughts? Any reasons I shouldn't get it ported?

oceanbob
11-06-2011, 14:48
There is no reason to port a 6 inch barrel. The added velocity of the 6 inch barrel will be lost and who wants flaming dirt in the face when hunting?

Keep her long with no holes. Recoil is not an issue with a Glock 10MM.

Be well, Bob

MarineHawk
11-06-2011, 15:54
I won't port mine for the same reasons oceanbob said, and also because I might use mine in a defensive situation, and if I ever need to shoot it while the gun is tucked next to my body, I probably would not want the jets of gas shooting right into my eyes.

TDC20
11-06-2011, 16:15
I agree with oceanbob and MarineHawk. There really isn't any reason to port a 6" barrel for a G20. Especially since you're comfortable with shooting a 44 mag. Hot 10mm loads in the G20 platform are so much milder in recoil than a 44 wheel gun, it's not even worth a comparison.

Gunnut80
11-06-2011, 16:38
Another for no ports.

The whole reason I bought a 6" barrel was to get all the velocity out of this cartridge in this platform that I could.

TreyG-20
11-06-2011, 16:50
Another for no ports I have a 20c and a 20 theyre is no significant difference except the compensated one is louder.

sylvius
11-06-2011, 20:48
Well, it's unanimous, no ports it is. Thanks all for the input!

Burien
11-07-2011, 10:10
-another no port vote for me, when you shoot lead bullets out of a ported barrel, you get a mess

nickE10mm
11-07-2011, 12:35
No ports. Whats the point of porting unless you need faster follow up shots? Since you're hunting, the speed of the next shot isn't really an issue at all.

gator378
11-07-2011, 14:32
I've decided to get a 6" barrel for my G20 to make it hunting legal in Wisconsin (where I frequently hunt). I like that Storm Lake offers a blued barrel (don't really want a polished stainless barrel for hunting), so will probably order from them. There's a $15 difference between ported and non-ported so basically a monetary non-issue, just trying to decide whether I wanted it ported. Right now, my thinking is probably to get it ported:

1) I have decided against a long slide and with the port holes being beyond the slide, there's no issue of the port holes interfering with the slide, etc.
2) The recoil is not an issue for me (I frequently hunt with a 44 magnum, so am used to a heavy recoil), but the reduced muzzle flip from porting would be nice.
3) I'll work up some heavy hunting loads and I've read that porting has only a very small effect on bullet velocity.
4) The frequent cited downsides to porting don't really apply to hunting.

Any thoughts? Any reasons I shouldn't get it ported?

If recoil is not a problem why port and put up with the increased noise. Hot gasses from a port could be a problem if not vented in the proper direction. Not a fan of porting

igorts
11-08-2011, 12:08
1 for compensated.
It does not throw anything in your face.
Game will hear your non- compensated shot anyway.
But you have faster follow up shot, if needed

MarineHawk
11-08-2011, 22:37
... It does not throw anything in your face. ...

What if you're holding your pistol in your right hand tucked next to your ribs as you use left hand to keep an attacker at bay? Sometimes, you can't use the weaver stance in a CQC situation. Porting redirects the gases, right? And some do it up, right? In the case described above, it would go into your face, right?

igorts
11-08-2011, 23:27
If a deer attacks me porting will be an issue if shooting from that position.(:-)
For carry I would not try to use 6" anyway, kind of hard to conceal.
My point: I answered to original question, hunting scenario.

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

MarineHawk
11-09-2011, 00:09
If a deer attacks me porting will be an issue if shooting from that position.(:-)
For carry I would not try to use 6" anyway, kind of hard to conceal.
My point: I answered to original question, hunting scenario.

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

That makes sense. I was just pointing out that, if you're using the 6-inch for backpacking or hunting where there are things scarier than deer (harry tthings or people), you might be defending yourself aside from any concealment needs. But that's probably pretty rare for most poeple.