G20 Spring weights [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G20 Spring weights

leeward419
11-06-2011, 14:18
Hi,
what spring weight does the stock glock come with.
I was going to buy some full on buffalo bore ammo for hunting, it recommended heavier spring weight for full power 10mm. It indicated without the heavier spring the breech face opens too soon and caused higher swings in velocity. What are you guys using?
Thank You !

MarineHawk
11-06-2011, 15:43
Stock is 17lbs I think. I ordered a 22lb tungsten one for mine. It arrived on Friday, but they're sending me another one because it was about 1/8" too short (they think the wrong one was put into the package). They are sending me a new one on Monday. I'll let you know when I get it, because I'm going to shoot it right away with, among other things, the 180gr BB JHP loads and the 200gr FMJ FN loads. I bought four boxes of each. My KKM barrel is still a few weeks away from shipping.

TDC20
11-06-2011, 16:02
MarineHawk is correct, the stock spring weight is 17lbs. I have been using a non-captive 22lb Wolff spring and guide rod in my G20. This has been reliable with everything from my .40S&W conversion barrel to the hottest 10mm loads I care to shoot. It does make racking the slide a little bit harder, but if you're not man enough to rack the slide with a 22lb spring, then you're probably not man enough to handle the 10mm anyway. :tongueout:

The benefits are supposed to be less battering of your gun, brass stays closer, and that your gun stays locked in battery a bit longer.

arushus
11-06-2011, 19:23
I use the 22lb ismi spring on a lwd ss guide rod. Even weak tulammo .40cal cycles uust fine in it. I should have gotten the 24lb spring. swampfox brass still flies ten to fifteen feet.

danattherock
11-06-2011, 20:26
Stock is 17lbs I think. I ordered a 22lb tungsten one for mine.

Let me know how it works out. Might follow your lead on this one.

Got my KKM barrel in the other day.

One word for you.

SWEET:supergrin:

OP,

I put the stainless ISMI captured rod with 20 lb spring in my G20. Works very well and suits the 200-230 gr Double Tap I have been shooting. Might even go up to 22-24 lb spring as I only shoot hot loads in mine.

-Dan

TreyG-20
11-06-2011, 22:03

One word for you.

OP,

I put the stainless ISMI captured rod with 20 lb spring in my G20. Works very well and suits the 200-230 gr Double Tap I have been shooting. Might even go up to 22-24 lb spring as I only shoot hot loads in mine.

-Dan
Im running this exact same set up and it has been flawless. Except trying to get the screw on the captured guide rod with the spring depressed was kind of a pain. It shot off the roof and the wall and the floor but landed back in my lap so it was all good

Taterhead
11-06-2011, 23:10
Hi,
what spring weight does the stock glock come with.
I was going to buy some full on buffalo bore ammo for hunting, it recommended heavier spring weight for full power 10mm. It indicated without the heavier spring the breech face opens too soon and caused higher swings in velocity. What are you guys using?
Thank You !

There is a LOT of debate about whether spring weight has anything to do with dwell time. I am not yet convinced - but still "listening," you might say. I do have a 22# Wolff setup that has been fine with BB ammo. The 17 # stock weight has been fine too. BBs recommendation has more to do with narrowing extreme spreads on velocity. I will add that the very few failures that I have had with my G20 have been with hotter loads

post-apocalyptic
11-06-2011, 23:57
I use the 22lb ismi spring on a lwd ss guide rod...I should have gotten the 24lb spring. swampfox brass still flies ten to fifteen feet.

Using a 22 lb spring; 10-15 ft ejection distance for hot SW loads seems pretty optimal... considering that a factory 17 lb spring tosses standard full-power 10mm, (180gr @ 1300fps, milder than Swamp Fox), 9-12 ft.

Gunnut80
11-07-2011, 05:14
24lb. Wolff for range use and 22lb. Wolff for carry.

leeward419
11-07-2011, 05:39
I have been using a non-captive 22lb Wolff spring and guide rod in my G20.
TDC20-how do you like the wolfe non captive guide rod, I am leaning towards this to avoid having to use screw. WOuld you buy this one again?
Thanks for any information

TreyG-20
11-07-2011, 07:39
TDC20-how do you like the wolfe non captive guide rod, I am leaning towards this to avoid having to use screw. WOuld you buy this one again?
Thanks for any information
The thing about captured guide rods is if you get one and just leave the screw off then its a non capture rod so you can have both.

arushus
11-07-2011, 12:40
Using a 22 lb spring; 10-15 ft ejection distance for hot SW loads seems pretty optimal... considering that a factory 17 lb spring tosses standard full-power 10mm, (180gr @ 1300fps, milder than Swamp Fox), 9-12 ft.

An optimal distance to me would be around six feet or less...really not possible with swampfox ammo, but Im still gonna try a 24lb spring. With my 17lb spring, hot ammo would sling the brass 25feet or more...

post-apocalyptic
11-07-2011, 13:06
An optimal distance to me would be around six feet or less...really not possible with swampfox ammo, but Im still gonna try a 24lb spring...

6 ft or less is a shorter ejection distance than is "normal" for most semi-auto firearms. You'd want that type of performance with full-power 10mm, (180gr @ 1300fps), or the mid-power major manufacturers' stuff?

...With my 17lb spring, hot ammo would sling the brass 25feet or more...

Yeah, that's a bit excessive, especially considering the value of 10mm brass. I've had to become much more concerned with policing up every single piece of fired brass since I bought a pistol in this caliber, which can be a bit annoying. Dumping a mag of Golden Tiger through my SGL21 feels so good in comparison. :supergrin:

MarineHawk
11-08-2011, 23:18

One word for you.

Great Dan. I would love to hear your range report(s).

Do you mind saying where you ordered it from? Mine is on a (hopefully brief) backorder. My replacement spring should be here in a couple of days. It adds about an ounce to the forward wieght of the gun. I have one for my XD40 Tactical, and it works well, and seems to reduce muzzle flip a bit.

What I want to do, if I can find someone to let me shoot on their land soon (as opposed to a range where using a chrono is either impossible or a PITA) is chrono various loads both out of the Glock poly barrel and the KKM.