New binos or new scope? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New binos or new scope?

philpac33
11-06-2011, 19:52
I currently hunt with a Ruger M77 30.06 topped with a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 and carry Steiner Predator 8x32 binoculars. I'm buying a new Tikka T3 Lite(passing the old Ruger I got from my father down to my son). I have a decent start on Cabela's gift cards I've collected as gifts and anticipate a few hundred $$ more for Xmas. I'm going to get a new scope and new binoculars but I can only afford to get one at a time(at the price of the ones I'm going to buy), the dilemma is which one to get first. I'm pretty well set on the Cabela's EuroHD 10x42 binos and still kicking around which scope to get but I have it down to 3-4 very nice models in the $400 range. Either way I go is OK since I already have both and can use the old stuff in the meanwhile as I acquire the funds to obtain later what I cannot get now. So what would you get first, new scope for the new rifle or new binos to spot the game to shoot with the new rifle temporarily topped with my old scope???

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

EL COLONEL
11-07-2011, 11:17
Get a leupold 3 x9x40 vxll scope first.

FPS
11-10-2011, 04:42
Scope: Leupold or Nikon Buckmaster.

noway
11-12-2011, 08:19
Will you have a bino already and the new rifle will have no sights unless your shooting open. So I would say, look at your immediate need 1st.

Q: Why do you need another binoculars? and what's wrong with the steiner?

rhino673
11-12-2011, 08:21
Scope first. Bino's are a luxury item, IMO. A good quality scope is a must.

RRTX11
11-13-2011, 08:52
you can pick up a nikon buckmaster 6x18x40 nowadays for $299....for hunting thats ALL the scope you will ever need and then some. Help you shack some money away for your scope.

Big Bird
11-13-2011, 17:35
Scope first. Bino's are a luxury item, IMO. A good quality scope is a must.

Other way around...I'd take a rifle with open sights and a great set of binos over a scoped rifle and no binos. I can and have shot deer with peep sights out to 250 yards no-problem. But binos let you see the game coming way before it gets into rifle range. And using a rifle scope to scan for game is both stupid and dangerous.

rhino673
11-14-2011, 14:40
Other way around...I'd take a rifle with open sights and a great set of binos over a scoped rifle and no binos. I can and have shot deer with peep sights out to 250 yards no-problem. But binos let you see the game coming way before it gets into rifle range. And using a rifle scope to scan for game is both stupid and dangerous.

i guess it depends where you hunt. I hunt in fairly thick woods . The binos are nice ,but for me not a neccesity for scanning. My ears are more useful for locating incoming game. My average shot is 35 -50 yards.
The low power scope that I use works great for gathering light when I need that early morning or evening shot.

Big Bird
11-14-2011, 16:18
i guess it depends where you hunt. I hunt in fairly thick woods . The binos are nice ,but for me not a neccesity for scanning. My ears are more useful for locating incoming game. My average shot is 35 -50 yards.
The low power scope that I use works great for gathering light when I need that early morning or evening shot.

I hunt the woods as well... A great pair of binos will see much farther into to woods than you think possible... The depth of field of a pair of low power 7 or 9 power binos vs. your eyes is significant. I took a deer a few years ago using a vintage 03A3 Springfield and open sights just before first light at about 40 yards in the dark woods with no problem.