cleaning question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : cleaning question

esh325
11-06-2011, 23:15
Now I'm not terribly experienced with AR15's, but the reason why people take apart the bolt for regular cleaning is because of the hot carbon from the gastube that goes directly into the gas key on the bolt? Correct? If one was to never take apart the bolt and just wipe it down and lube the exterior parts like normal, would there ever be adverse effects in function because of this?

Cole125
11-06-2011, 23:20
1. Yes the reason you take apart the bolt carrier is to clean the carbon off.

2. Correct.

3. Its is very easy to take apart the bolt carrier, to clean and lube the areas.

4. You want to keep your rifle well maintained its very easy and does not take much time.

DJ Niner
11-06-2011, 23:37
Now I'm not terribly experienced with AR15's, but the reason why people take apart the bolt for regular cleaning is because of the hot carbon from the gastube that goes directly into the gas key on the bolt? Correct? If one was to never take apart the bolt and just wipe it down and lube the exterior parts like normal, would there ever be adverse effects in function because of this?"Ever" is a long time. Some folks won't "ever" fire their rifle more than 500-1000 rounds, and for those folks, no, the carbon build-up from that amount probably won't ever cause a problem. I've personally fired more than a thousand rounds through an AR-15 without cleaning of ANY type, and it ran just fine (I did add some lube every now and then).

However, it is difficult to measure things like additional wear, increased friction, and other related issues which can be caused (or made worse) by incorrect or incomplete cleaning and lubrication. Just like not changing the oil in a vehicle, sure, you'll get away with it for a while, but eventually, it's going to cause a problem, or make a small problem bigger. If it's your intention to have your rifle (or vehicle) run for as long as possible with as few potential problems/stoppages as possible, then keeping it clean and lubed will help.

pag23
11-07-2011, 07:45
1. Yes the reason you take apart the bolt carrier is to clean the carbon off.

2. Correct.

3. Its is very easy to take apart the bolt carrier, to clean and lube the areas.

4. You want to keep your rifle well maintained its very easy and does not take much time.

:agree: with both posts...

I do regular cleaning after shooting to maintain and check parts as applicable for wear and tear & function. Some will just do a regular clean & lube depending on their preference.

M&P Shooter
11-07-2011, 08:17
All firearms should be kept clean and lubed because the small amount of time it takes to get familiar with your weapon and maintaining it will pay off 10X if it is ever needed to protect your life or your families one day(God forbid)

I always found it to be fun to take my weapons apart and clean them then rub my babies down with some CLP:supergrin:

Gunnut 45/454
11-07-2011, 08:49
Yep though an AR can and will run for a long time without cleaning I do it after every shoot. I run mine wet so cleaning much easier. Just break down the BCG and wipe it down , inspect, relube and assemble.:supergrin:

bmoore
11-07-2011, 08:58
You have been given great advice, I dont have much to add except for what I personally use. I use Mpro7 to clean the parts, Slip2000 EWL and Wilson Ultima lube II to keep it lubed. The parts will clean with less effort when the gun is ran "wet". Those are just my choices, its been said before and I agree that- its not so much what kind of lube you use but where and how much you use it.

MStarmer
11-07-2011, 09:44
www.ar15.com/content/swat/keepitrunning.pdf

KiloXray
11-07-2011, 17:19
www.ar15.com/content/swat/keepitrunning.pdf (http://www.ar15.com/content/swat/keepitrunning.pdf)

Excelent read. Thank you.

njl
11-07-2011, 22:35
To be clear, are you really talking about taking apart the bolt (removing the extractor, ejector, and pins and springs), or just field stripping where you remove the bolt carrier from the rifle, and separate the bolt carrier group into bolt carrier, bolt, firing pin, cam pin, and firing pin retaining pin for cleaning and lubrication? The latter is part of normal cleaning for an AR. The former, I've never done...probably should, but I certainly wouldn't do it regularly for a normal cleaning.

Young Once
11-08-2011, 06:53
I noticed that in bolts that have not been cleaned regularly, and carbon deposits are llowed to build up over time, that pitting happens, which is noticeable when the bolt is finally cleaned. Is pitting a regular occurence or could it have been avoided with proper cleaning?

surf
11-08-2011, 12:52
Keep your weapons clean and lubed. If your only a recreational shooter then do what you like. If you rely on your weapon for potential critical use, then keep it clean, inspect it every time you clean it and keep it properly lubed. I am not talking white glove inspection clean, and I am not talking reamers to scrape carbon as many scraper designs do more harm than good, but keeping you weapons clean and lubed is good practice. I personally cannot stand the "I never clean my AR, just lube it" crowd. Nor do I like the "oil it until it is dripping wet" crowd either as both can create issues.

I also use the automotive analogy. A vehicle's engine will more likely live a longer more reliable lifespan if it is maintained correctly, meaning clean oil, with proper lubrication. Sure we can run a vehicle for a long time without changing and only adding oil, but that is definitely a recipe for premature failure and breakage of parts. Same applies to weapons and particularly this DI platform which is basic piston 101.

Yes pitting occurs. Yes degradation of metals happen and small springs, such as those found in the bolt are susceptible. Yes, dirt and grime even when oiled has small micro particles that can act like a fine abrasive and can create issues over time, just like the car engine. Why even deal with that when it is easily avoidable by simply keeping your **** squared away? Just so you can say, F U AK47 guys, I never need to clean my AR, I just add oil, like in another thread around here?