Benelli M4 vs. Remington 1100 Tac4 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Benelli M4 vs. Remington 1100 Tac4

outback45
11-07-2011, 01:16
I have 2 Remington 870s, and I love them both. But I'm looking to get into semi-autos. Since I love my Remi's, I'm tempted to get an 1100, but the M4 is one sexy gun, and I would really enjoy owning one. Of course there's a huge price difference.

What do you guys think about each one? The purpose is for primary home defense.

PlasticGuy
11-07-2011, 01:52
I have owned 8 different combat shotguns, and currently own 3. Nothing else has performed to the level of my Benelli M4. A couple have been close, but nothing is/was equal.

Not everybody needs to spend that kind of money to squeeze the little bit of extra performance out of the combat shotgun genre. I got tired of good enough though. I can afford the best, and now I have it.

acaligunner
11-07-2011, 01:54
I have 2 Remington 870s, and I love them both. But I'm looking to get into semi-autos. Since I love my Remi's, I'm tempted to get an 1100, but the M4 is one sexy gun, and I would really enjoy owning one. Of course there's a huge price difference.

What do you guys think about each one? The purpose is for primary home defense.

I would go Benelli, I own the HK Benelli, Nova, Super Nova, M2, & in time will own a M4. They simply work. Quality is excellent, and they are accurate SG's.

The M1 & M2 do recoil a bit more (because they are light weight), but the M4 is a little bit more heavier, so recoil should not be that bad, plus the ARGO gas system is more forgiving than that of the M2's.

Either way, Benelli's are gtg out of the box for SD, and the M4 was tested - shooting over 25K rounds with no major parts breakage. If that is true, it is a bad boy.

Either way, IMO Benelli's equal quality. This coming from a Benelli owner, I'm more than happy.

F106 Fan
11-07-2011, 07:19
I haven't played with an 1100 in many years (25+). As I recall, the magnum guns didn't shoot light loads very well and the target guns got hammered shooting heavy loads.

It's a maintenance issue but that o-ring in the gas system tends to break at intervals when it is least convenient. Or, so I remember.

I also have 2 870s that I like but I bought the M4 because I wanted my LAST tactical shotgun. I shot an inertia Benelli many years ago and I really liked it. I couldn't afford it, but I liked it.

With the new gas system of the M4, there was no reason to buy an inertia operated Benelli. The M4 is perfect in every way and I could finally afford it.

Yes, it is on the high side of overpriced and it only comes with a 4 round tube. You really need to study up on 18 USC 922R if you plan to use a 7 round tube like the nice titanium unit from Carriercomp.

Richard

outback45
11-07-2011, 09:17
Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated.

I didn't realize replacing the mag tube was so complicated. I thought you could just screw one on like you do with a Remington.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIly8zFMhfM

F106 Fan
11-07-2011, 10:18
Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated.

I didn't realize replacing the mag tube was so complicated. I thought you could just screw one on like you do with a Remington.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIly8zFMhfM

Great video! Yup, installing the adapter is a walk in the park. Especially if you don't use a full-length tube like the Carriercomp.

HOWEVER, the weapon is now in violation of 18 USC 922R and this can result in the weapon being seized and the owner prosecuted. But, hey, it's pretty easy to install.

When I brought up 922R, it is because there are specific requirements for imported shotguns with pistol grip stocks; the BATFE wants the shotguns to have a sporting purpose like hunting, trap or skeet, that kind of thing. Pistol grip stocks are a big no-no.

Basically, there is a list of 'characteristics' that imported shotguns have and only so many are allowed. Expanding magazine capacity causes the weapon to fall out of compliance.

To bring it back into compliance requires that the number of imported components be reduced by 3. The new magazine tube is one characteristic that is now no longer imported. Two more characteristics need to be changed. The easiest are the shell follower (Brownell's has a "Made In The USA" version) and the forend (SureFire is made in the USA). Now the 3 US made items bring the gun into compliance.

Owners of Benelli M4s who want to change magazine capacity need to do the research and understand how to deal with 922R. Upon searching far enough, they will encounter an exchange of letters from a user and the BATFE where the exact component changes are described and approved. However, those letters are for THAT user, and THAT user only. There are two choices: follow along and keep a copy of the letters for reference or get your own letter.

DO NOT take anything that I wrote above as gospel for anything. Do your own research or leave the gun the way it came.

Richard

F106 Fan
11-07-2011, 10:43
Another way to think about the magazine capacity: if Benelli could have legally imported the weapon with a 7 round tube, they certainly would have.

It would have saved them having to come up with that stupid crimped adapter tube and making a 2 piece assembly out of what should have been a straight tube. It certainly isn't an advertising coup to sell an overpriced shotgun with a 4 round magazine.

They probably would have included the collapsible stock if it would have been legal. Heck, they won't even sell the stock to other than LE.

Richard

outback45
11-13-2011, 08:00
Have any of you guys actually swapped out the mag tube. I have to admit, I'm a little intimidated by having to unscrew the original because it is lock-tighted in place. I may be an armorer, but a monkey can take apart a Glock or Sig. I wouldn't want to damage a brand new $2000+ shotgun. You must need a special vice etc. for that work no? Thanks.

Another way to think about the magazine capacity: if Benelli could have legally imported the weapon with a 7 round tube, they certainly would have.

It would have saved them having to come up with that stupid crimped adapter tube and making a 2 piece assembly out of what should have been a straight tube. It certainly isn't an advertising coup to sell an overpriced shotgun with a 4 round magazine.

They probably would have included the collapsible stock if it would have been legal. Heck, they won't even sell the stock to other than LE.

Richard

micdude
11-13-2011, 09:36
Why not just get a Mossberg 930 SPX?

-gunut-
11-13-2011, 14:31
I have been reading that the M4 has a 5 round magazine and the extension adds 2. Is that incorrect?

As for the comments above, watch the video guys! If you are installing a one-piece tube you need to go about heating the receiver. That isn't required if you are adding a two piece extension like the guy in the video.

Bello
11-13-2011, 17:39
Have any of you guys actually swapped out the mag tube. I have to admit, I'm a little intimidated by having to unscrew the original because it is lock-tighted in place. I may be an armorer, but a monkey can take apart a Glock or Sig. I wouldn't want to damage a brand new $2000+ shotgun. You must need a special vice etc. for that work no? Thanks.

i have swapped out my tube about ten mins total to do everything! just look up my shotgun in the tactical shotgun pictures of what it is all done and said to it

page 43

F106 Fan
11-14-2011, 08:27

I felt exactly the same way. I wasn't the slightest bit interested in damaging a brand new Benelli.

OTOH, the shotgun was useless with the reduced capacity so I ordered the full length titanium tube.

I have a Milwaukee heat gun (often used to remove paint) so I started heating the end of the receiver and the tube. It only took a few minutes to soften the Locktite and the tube became easy to rotate. It stuck about half way out and I heated the tube again before completing the job.

edit---

BTW, I directed most of the heat into the open end of the receiver where the tube mates up. I didn't try to heat through the side walls of the receiver. I was really concerned about the finish.

I didn't use a vise. I just heated the receiver/tube and used my hands to hold the receiver and turn the tube. I don't recall if I used a strap wrench to get it started. I know that I didn't damage the factory tube.

I may have clamped the receiver using appropriate padding. I just don't remember... It's an old age thing.

edit---

This is just NO BIG DEAL! Just get after it and get it done. It doesn't damage the finish, there are no scorch marks on the receiver and after you clear the Locktite out of the threads, you can interchange tubes with minimal effort.

I used a bronze 12 gauge bore brush chucked up in a drill motor to clean up the threads. I wouldn't be surprised to find there are better ways but this worked for me.

I just noticed that Kip Carrier has added 2 items to bring the gun back into 922R compliance: the shell follower (now included with the tube) and a replacement hammer. This means you can keep your factory forend. I plan to replace the hammer ASAP as I don't really like the oversized forend I am currently using.

http://shop.carriercomp.com/category.sc?categoryId=5

Again, tube replacement is no big deal.

Richard

F106 Fan
11-14-2011, 08:37
I have been reading that the M4 has a 5 round magazine and the extension adds 2. Is that incorrect?

As for the comments above, watch the video guys! If you are installing a one-piece tube you need to go about heating the receiver. That isn't required if you are adding a two piece extension like the guy in the video.

Factory spec if 4+1. Full length replacement tube is 7+1.

From the CarrierComp web site, there are some restrictions on full length tubes in NY-NJ-MA-CT

Besides the 18 USC 922R issues...

Richard

yrbender
11-14-2011, 18:13
Check out Dave's metal 7+1 no heat gun required. There is a good YouTube video for the install. You just remove the spacer and screw it on. I didn't want to do the heat gun.

yfdcap
11-17-2011, 13:05
I just bought a M4 and love it. I have owned several Rem's and just about all the others. Up untill now older Brownings have been my favorite. Not any more. This is a beautiful gun. Brought it home Tuesday and currently have 275 rounds through it. By the way it has a 5 round magazine if loading 2 3/4 shells. It is very easy to ghost load also making it a 7 shot. 5+1+1.

kvon
11-22-2011, 18:47
I just bought a M4 and love it. I have owned several Rem's and just about all the others. Up untill now older Brownings have been my favorite. Not any more. This is a beautiful gun. Brought it home Tuesday and currently have 275 rounds through it. By the way it has a 5 round magazine if loading 2 3/4 shells. It is very easy to ghost load also making it a 7 shot. 5+1+1.

+1

I keep 5 2-3/4 shells in the tube, one in the carrier and one in the chamber. 7 rounds with no worry. Plus when you start shooting they all disappear rapidly. Great gun, heavy, but awesome. I have the limited M1014 with the flag and the skeleton stock. I think about selling from time to time to free up cash for a new build, but can never bring myself to do it. After I shoot my buddy's 870, it makes me appreciate it even that much more.