Primer turning tray. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Primer turning tray.

sheltbt
11-07-2011, 04:17
Anybody have any experience with one of these? Thanks in advance.

IndyGunFreak
11-07-2011, 04:33
If you have a press that isn't a Lee, you'll want one. Absolutely need one? No, but as cheap as they are, and the time they save you, you'd be crazy not to have one.

Key thing, is get an "oversized" one. Otherwise, the corners of the primer tray will hang off the side, and you'll lose a couple of primers every time.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/466211/rcbs-primer-turning-tray

hdsteve69
11-07-2011, 04:36
I use one and I think having it saves some time. You dont really need it but they are cheap and they do make things a little easier.

Lou Garou
11-07-2011, 05:50
I use a square one like RCBS makes. I just put it over a tray of primers and flip all of them at once so they're ready to pick up with the tubes.

http://www.kitterytradingpost.com/getdata.php/image_id/10532

Steve in PA
11-07-2011, 06:39
I use a square one like RCBS makes. I just put it over a tray of primers and flip all of them at once so they're ready to pick up with the tubes.

http://www.kitterytradingpost.com/getdata.php/image_id/10532

I've been using my RCBS for over 20 years.

Colorado4Wheel
11-07-2011, 07:01
RCBS makes a nice one.

MrMunster
11-07-2011, 07:12
Spend the extra money and get one of these (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/656090/frankford-arsenal-vibra-prime-automatic-primer-tube-filler). Just remember to throw away the tube adaptors that come with it. Mine works best when the tubes are against the hole in the tray. Takes about 15 seconds to load 100 primers into the tube.

Lou Garou
11-07-2011, 07:16
Spend the extra money and get one of these (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/656090/frankford-arsenal-vibra-prime-automatic-primer-tube-filler). Just remember to throw away the tube adaptors that come with it. Mine works best when the tubes are against the hole in the tray. Takes about 15 seconds to load 100 primers into the tube.That's a great concept, and when it works it's great. Too bad FA made it out of plastic.

unclebob
11-07-2011, 07:20
Spend the extra money and get one of these (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/656090/frankford-arsenal-vibra-prime-automatic-primer-tube-filler). Just remember to throw away the tube adaptors that come with it. Mine works best when the tubes are against the hole in the tray. Takes about 15 seconds to load 100 primers into the tube.

Great except they donít make them anymore.

thorn137
11-09-2011, 16:34
Discontinued by Manufacturer

daltona117
11-09-2011, 20:50
Dillon Precision makes a nice Primer Flip tray and its made of metal.

scattershot
11-09-2011, 21:49
I have a metal flip tray, and wouldn't be caught dead without it. One of the great labor saving devices of all time.

EL_NinO619
11-09-2011, 23:03
I have a metal one... The Gold Dillon one.. But now I am afraid to use anything that has to do with priming and Dillon and metal and static electricity.. I should have just stayed in my own little quiet world... Damn World Wide Web..

unclebob
11-10-2011, 07:28
I have a metal one... The Gold Dillon one.. But now I am afraid to use anything that has to do with priming and Dillon and metal and static electricity.. I should have just stayed in my own little quiet world... Damn World Wide Web..

You have a better chance of winning the Lottery than a primer going off and causing any damage. I guess you better stay home today and the next because you might have a car wreck on the way to work. Or you might fall in the shower all are more dangers than reloading. If you follow standard safety precautions.

rpgman
11-10-2011, 07:30
I have a question concerning primers that I had to 'take out' becuase they seated wrong for whatever reason.

What the heck do you do with them?

I mean I just don't want to throw them out.

So, how do you folks get rid of them?
Thanks,
Greg

rpgman
11-10-2011, 07:31
oh and also 'used primers'.

What do you do with them?

Can't recycle them, can u?

Do you just throw them out?
Thanks Again,
Greg

unclebob
11-10-2011, 08:01
I have a question concerning primers that I had to 'take out' becuase they seated wrong for whatever reason.

What the heck do you do with them?

I mean I just don't want to throw them out.

So, how do you folks get rid of them?
Thanks,
Greg

I just run them through the single stage press with a universal decapping die slowly. I just throw them away. Also the spent primers. Donít know if the junk yard will take them or not. But the last time I went to the junk yard it cost me more to replace the tire than what I got for what I took over. Spraying the primes with WD40 does nothing. Takes about 3 days to kill the primer and once they dry out you have a live primer again.

Lou Garou
11-10-2011, 08:45
oh and also 'used primers'.

What do you do with them?

Can't recycle them, can u?

Do you just throw them out?
Thanks Again,
GregThey're brass, so I keep them with the eventual plan of selling them to the scrap man. So far I have 1 3/4 gallon milk jugs full.

I've heard of some guys loading them into shotgun shells. :upeyes:

ETA: I agree with Bob. Just slowly deprime the live primers (wear eye protection) and either reuse them in practice rounds or toss them. I don't put live primers in the recycle bin because I'm afraid they might pop and splash someone while being smelted, but I've heard from smelters who say it's not a problem.

ron59
11-10-2011, 09:21
I just throw USED ones in the trash.

In 40,000+ rounds, can only recall one or two *new* ones getting ruined (going in sideways and getting crushed or something. Those went in the trash also.

I've had several go in upside down, I just *carefully* push them out and re-use them in PRACTICE rounds. Or I've also had a bullet fall over when going into the seating die and damage the brass. I also extract and re-use those primers. I'm a cheap SOB when it comes to my primers.

MrMunster
11-10-2011, 11:46
Great except they don’t make them anymore.

One more reason you should have started reloading sooner. :wavey:

Used ones (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=frankford+arsenal+vibra+prime&_sacat=See-All-Categories)are available.

ron59
11-10-2011, 11:53

Ummmm.... if they were any good, they'd STILL be making them.

From what I heard, they were having WAY too many problems with them, being plastic and all. You start having to warranty replace a bunch of the ones that are bad, you stop making money.

I refuse to believe that somebody simply stopped making something that WAS making them money. Where's the logic in that.

halfmoonclip
11-10-2011, 12:10
Dillon Precision makes a nice Primer Flip tray and its made of metal.

I like nearly everything Dillon except the damn primer flipper. I had two of them when our local dealer handled them, returned them both. They just didn't work (the primers didn't all flip). It was my theory that the weight of the thing made it hard to do the quick shakes that are necessary to make it work.

The little RCBS plastic ones work just fine, take virtually no time to fill the drop tubes, and you can get extra tubes from Dillon if you really want to avoid stopping to recharge a primer tube.

The other advantage of the flipper is avoiding actually touching the primers, with the danger of contamination with skin oil or anything else that's on your hands.
Moon

fredj338
11-10-2011, 12:24
I don't think brass conducts elec, but I could be wrong. I like the Dillon heavy metal tray but it is pricey. If they don't all flip, no big deal. Just pick up those that don't, cover & flip the tray & load the rest. Some guys just over think stuff. Back when I got the Dillon, they were the only ones making a tray for the then new Fedral packaging. Now everyone makes a plastic alternative & I probably wouldn't pop for the pricey Dillon today.

Colorado4Wheel
11-10-2011, 12:39
. But now I am afraid to use anything that has to do with priming and Dillon and metal and static electricity.

Dillon should really work on it's guarantee against "Freak Acts of Nature". Because we all know it's Dillons fault :upeyes: (when all primer tubes are basically the same). Maybe get Miss August to come talk to you about it.

Lou Garou
11-10-2011, 14:09
I don't think brass conducts elec, but I could be wrong.Brass is made of copper and zinc. It's very conductive.

halfmoonclip
11-10-2011, 14:15
Dillon's tray is pot metal (zinc) with a copper-colored coating.
Agreed that you could deal with a couple that don't flip, but with the RCBS, they all flip with little drama.
Like I said, disappointed with the flipper, because anything else with Dillon's name on it is good stuff.
Moon

unclebob
11-10-2011, 14:18

50 years ago is not soon enough?:dunno:

P.S. I have one. Wish I would have bought another one just in case the one I have breaks.

Jim Watson
11-10-2011, 14:22
The original purpose of the primer flipper tray was not to load progressive machine primer feeds, there weren't many of those except for some expensive Star and Phelps loaders, the idea was to get them all oriented so you could inspect them for the presence of anvils and priming compound. The factories didn't check very closely or stuff could fall out.

I don't use mine to flip primers by shaking against the grooves. I put the tray over a flat of primers and invert, leaving the primers in the tray. I then pick up all the primers shiny side up and use the tray cover to turn the rest over.

unclebob
11-10-2011, 14:29
The original purpose of the primer flipper tray was not to load progressive machine primer feeds, there weren't many of those except for some expensive Star and Phelps loaders, the idea was to get them all oriented so you could inspect them for the presence of anvils and priming compound. The factories didn't check very closely or stuff could fall out.

I don't use mine to flip primers by shaking against the grooves. I put the tray over a flat of primers and invert, leaving the primers in the tray. I then pick up all the primers shiny side up and use the tray cover to turn the rest over.

That just doesn't work with Federal primers.

thorn137
11-12-2011, 15:22
I use a plastic tray. It works very well. I see no need to pay twice as much for a metal one with a Dillon logo.

thorn

Colorado4Wheel
11-12-2011, 15:47
Dillon's tray is pot metal (zinc) with a copper-colored coating.
Agreed that you could deal with a couple that don't flip, but with the RCBS, they all flip with little drama.
Like I said, disappointed with the flipper, because anything else with Dillon's name on it is good stuff.
Moon

I think it's the fact that the Dillon while metal is made poorly. It's ridges are not sharp. Plastic while sounding cheap it's far easier to make sharp edges out of plastic and keep the cost low. The RCBS turns primers better then any Dillon I have used. Even my Lee attached to the LCT is far better then my Dillon.

unclebob
11-14-2011, 07:11
On EBay a used primer prime went for $102.50 plus $12.00 shipping.

unclebob
11-14-2011, 07:20
Even Mogollon has stated with the Dillon primer tray. Put the primers in the tray get them so they are not sitting on their sides. Pick up the primers that are facing anvil down. Put the lid on turn the primers over and pick up the rest. There is no need to have all the primers going the same direction. Yes using the Vibra-Prime, Lee Safety prime you need to. But if you are using a pick up tube there is no need to have them all going the same direction.

halfmoonclip
11-14-2011, 07:24

Jim, surely not meaning to argue, but all this is news to me, and I've been reloading for nearly forty years. An old-time reloader was one of my mentors, and he never worried about missing anvils.
Also, even small presses often had primer feeds. My single stage RCBS press has a primer feed tube, tho' the tube lacks the armor found on the Dillon. You simply orient the primers and press them one at a time into the inverted tube, and insert it in to the press.
As I mentioned before, what primers really don't like is contamination, so anything that prevents direct contact between primers and fingers is a huge help. Without the primer feed tube on my RCBS, you would have to place a primer on the seating cup manually for each cartridge loaded.
Moon

halfmoonclip
11-14-2011, 07:25
I think it's the fact that the Dillon while metal is made poorly. It's ridges are not sharp. Plastic while sounding cheap it's far easier to make sharp edges out of plastic and keep the cost low. The RCBS turns primers better then any Dillon I have used. Even my Lee attached to the LCT is far better then my Dillon.

This may indeed be the issue.
Moon

thorn137
11-15-2011, 22:37
Even Mogollon has stated with the Dillon primer tray. Put the primers in the tray get them so they are not sitting on their sides. Pick up the primers that are facing anvil down.

That's sort of the point - with a proper functioning primer tray, one doesn't HAVE to pick up the primers that are upside-down.

thorn

unclebob
11-16-2011, 07:22
That's sort of the point - with a proper functioning primer tray, one doesn't HAVE to pick up the primers that are upside-down.

thorn

I guess I did not explain my self very well. You put the primers in the tray and make sure they are either facing up or down, not on their sides. Using the primer pickup tool pick up the primers that the anvil are facing down. Put the lid on the try turn them over. Now the rest of the primers are facing anvil down, and you pick up the rest of the primers using the primer pickup. You are not touching any of the primers with your fingers unless you want too.
There is no need in making sure all the primers are facing anvil up then putting on the lid and turning it over.

XDRoX
11-16-2011, 08:26
Only on GTR can someone ask a simple primer tray question and get this many responses :supergrin: That's why I love this forum.

I use Dillon's primer tray BTW. Works fine for me.

http://members.cox.net/chrismosteller/primerfliptray2.jpg

halfmoonclip
11-16-2011, 10:07
As I recall, my RCBS primer flipper didn't even require directions. Even better than pouring piss out of a boot to read the directions about how to do it written on the heel...:supergrin:

XD is right, tho'...we are thinking this to death.

unclebob
11-16-2011, 11:49
As I recall, my RCBS primer flipper didn't even require directions. Even better than pouring piss out of a boot to read the directions about how to do it written on the heel...:supergrin:

XD is right, tho'...we are thinking this to death.

I could be wrong but I donít think any of the primer flip trays come with directions. But I guess there should be since a lot of people think you need to put all the primers so they are all facing the same direction. Just put the primers in the tray pick up the primers that are facing anvil down with the primer pick up. Put the lid on turn over and pick up the rest. No need to shake the tray to get them all going the same direction.
Yes some people over think the simplicity of a primer flip tray.

halfmoonclip
11-16-2011, 12:01
I could be wrong but I don’t think any of the primer flip trays come with directions. But I guess there should be since a lot of people think you need to put all the primers so they are all facing the same direction. Just put the primers in the tray pick up the primers that are facing anvil down with the primer pick up. Put the lid on turn over and pick up the rest. No need to shake the tray to get them all going the same direction.
Yes some people over think the simplicity of a primer flip tray.

It would seem to me that you could achieve the same thing by dumping 'em on the workbench and hoping for the best; those incorrectly oriented can be flipped into position with a poke of the primer tube.

My point was that the RCBS gets 'em all in the same direction with a couple shakes of the tray. I like that it is simple, cheap and it works without explanation or apology. If I were still using my single stage, it really wouldn't matter much. But when I fire up the Dillon, I expect to crank out some rounds. Anything that simplifies that is a thing worth doing.

But, like we posters here, Dillon had to overthink the primer flipper. I bought the first one because the heft felt great and it looked more substantial than my RCBS. Only trouble was, unlike most things Dillon, it didn't work. By definition, a primer flipper that doesn't flip primers isn't functioning correctly.

And, like all things Dillon, they stood behind it and refunded my money.
Moon

fredj338
11-16-2011, 12:11
It would seem to me that you could achieve the same thing by dumping 'em on the workbench and hoping for the best; those incorrectly oriented can be flipped into position with a poke of the primer tube.

My point was that the RCBS gets 'em all in the same direction with a couple shakes of the tray. I like that it is simple, cheap and it works without explanation or apology. If I were still using my single stage, it really wouldn't matter much. But when I fire up the Dillon, I expect to crank out some rounds. Anything that simplifies that is a thing worth doing.

But, like we posters here, Dillon had to overthink the primer flipper. I bought the first one because the heft felt great and it looked more substantial than my RCBS. Only trouble was, unlike most things Dillon, it didn't work.

And, like all things Dillon, they stood behind it and refunded my money.
Moon
IMO, yo uare just over thinking this. Dump the primers in the tray if Federal or RP, shake, start picking up primers. Invert & pick up the rest. I never "expected" the flipper to flip them all, plus I am not patient enough to stand there & shake the stupid tray. As noted, for other primers, the trya is used only to flip them all over as the primers are normally the right way when shipped flat like Win or CCI or Wolf, etc.:dunno: In a hand primer, like Lee or Honrady, then they all need to flip over.

halfmoonclip
11-16-2011, 12:18
Guys, I'm sorry, but you've lost me here. I've continued to use a primer flipper that actually flips primers. If you like one better that doesn't flip primers, that is absolutely your business.
However, I won't be seeking your counsel when I go shopping for condoms, lifevests or parachutes...:supergrin:

In addition, I use Federal primers exclusively; S&W mainsprings are adjusted for them for a start, and they seat far easier than CCIs. They come packaged on their side, so when you empty the package, they go every which way.

If your primers all come oriented up or down, then perhaps that takes care of your primer position problems.
Moon

Jim Watson
11-16-2011, 13:30
Jim, surely not meaning to argue, but all this is news to me, and I've been reloading for nearly forty years. An old-time reloader was one of my mentors, and he never worried about missing anvils.
As I mentioned before, what primers really don't like is contamination, so anything that prevents direct contact between primers and fingers is a huge help. Without the primer feed tube on my RCBS, you would have to place a primer on the seating cup manually for each cartridge loaded.
Moon

I have been reloading for right at 41 years and missing anvils were never a problem for me, either. But I can read old accounts back when it was something to beware of.

Primers are not as easy to contaminate as some think. Before I got my first Lee hand primer, I individually handled and seated primers with my English Pak-Tool and never a misfire. I know one guy who handles primers with tweezers to this day, however. I think I have seen more misfires due to automatic primer feeds seating primers untouched by human hands... upside down, than I have from sweaty or oily fingers.

halfmoonclip
11-16-2011, 17:48
I have been reloading for right at 41 years and missing anvils were never a problem for me, either. But I can read old accounts back when it was something to beware of.

Primers are not as easy to contaminate as some think. Before I got my first Lee hand primer, I individually handled and seated primers with my English Pak-Tool and never a misfire. I know one guy who handles primers with tweezers to this day, however. I think I have seen more misfires due to automatic primer feeds seating primers untouched by human hands... upside down, than I have from sweaty or oily fingers.

Jim, you may well be right. I was always counseled to be careful of primer contamination, but it may well be a 'shooter's old wives' tale' kind of thing. A late buddy was known to handle primers with tweezers as well.
Same 'wives tale' deal on hangfires; always been warned about them, but I've never had one in forty-odd years of shooting.
Moon

TX Archer
11-16-2011, 19:57
I could be wrong but I donít think any of the primer flip trays come with directions.
My RCBS did. And I read them because I was (still am) a paranoid, information-thirsty beginner. Until I read them, I thought it was called a flip tray because you flipped the tray over to get them right side up. I had no idea the tray flipped the primers before you flip the tray.

halfmoonclip
11-16-2011, 20:07
My RCBS did. And I read them because I was (still am) a paranoid, information-thirsty beginner. Until I read them, I thought it was called a flip tray because you flipped the tray over to get them right side up. I had no idea the tray flipped the primers before you flip the tray.

Okay, I can deal with being wrong about directions. I've had mine so long that it's among many things I've forgotten. But yes, the darn thing actually flips the primers. First time I showed a buddy, he thought it was a magic trick.
Moon

PCJim
11-16-2011, 21:25
My 80's series RCBS flip tray will still flip all the primers. Back when all I reloaded on was the RCBS RS2, flipping all the primers in one direction helped to make loading the primer seater easy. The RS2 doesn't have an auto-prime type of attachment.

When I began loading on the 550, the old mindset remained. Loading the primer tubes, I never considered not orienting all the primers into one direction. Now that I have been enlightened that this is not necessary if one incorporates the two sided loading method, I wonder if I'll now start using this new method or continue with the old habit...:wow:

halfmoonclip
11-17-2011, 11:52
Having groused about Dillon's primer non-flipper, let me give the boys in Dillon blue an attaboy.

I ordered some parts for my 30 year old 550 fairly late in the day yesterday. The parts showed up, free gratis, in the mail today. I'm in Westsylvania and Dillon is still in AZ. Hard to beat service like that. :thumbsup:
Moon

rpgman
11-17-2011, 12:00
I prime using the Lyman Primer dye and I hand put the primer in the cup every time for every round.
Never had a issue with contamination.

bdhawk
11-17-2011, 17:34
Ummmm.... if they were any good, they'd STILL be making them.

From what I heard, they were having WAY too many problems with them, being plastic and all. You start having to warranty replace a bunch of the ones that are bad, you stop making money.

I refuse to believe that somebody simply stopped making something that WAS making them money. Where's the logic in that.

i have had minimal issues with mine. i quit using the adapter, slightly beveled the mouths of the tubes, and it works great. i dread the day when it goes belly up, i will miss it, greatly.

unclebob
11-17-2011, 18:02
The tubes it came with suck. But the Vibra prime worked and is working great. Beveled the mouth of my Dillon tubes and just hold it in place. Have not heard from anywhere why they stopped making them. I donít think being plastic and anything to do with it.