Do I need to lube my new unfired AR upper? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to lube my new unfired AR upper?

M&P Shooter
11-07-2011, 09:28
I have my new upper that has not been fired yet I was wondering do I need to take bolt apart and oil any parts and if so which ones?

B.Reid
11-07-2011, 09:33
Only if you are going to shoot it. Lube everything especially the outside of the carrier. Run it wet.

bmoore
11-07-2011, 10:09
Pretty much all the parts, in the bolt should get a light coating of oil. And as B.Reid said run it wet, as in oil mist coming back on the gun and maybe even your protective eye wear. Once its broken in you can throttle back on it being super wet.

grecco
11-07-2011, 10:38
Only if you are going to shoot it. Lube everything especially the outside of the carrier. Run it wet.

Exactly what he said.

MrMurphy
11-07-2011, 15:07
I (assuming using CLP) put a shot into the receiver and cycle the bolt 5-10 times, then pull the bolt.

Some lube (not much around the bolt head, stick it back in the carrier, finger of lube across bottom and top of carrier.... insert, you're good.

If you're using SLIP or something similar, follow their instructions.

denn1911
11-07-2011, 17:20

Great advice there. Lubrication is very important. Good luck and have fun.

Alaskapopo
11-10-2011, 02:07
Pretty much all the parts, in the bolt should get a light coating of oil. And as B.Reid said run it wet, as in oil mist coming back on the gun and maybe even your protective eye wear. Once its broken in you can throttle back on it being super wet.

Not light rather a heavy coating of oil. The excess will burn off in the first few shots.
Pat