Unique? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Unique?

Ajax27
11-07-2011, 17:52
So I've just started reloading recently, I've got a small setup with a lee hand press and so far I've been being careful and methodical and everything has been going well. I started out using some Hercules Bullseye from around the 70's and other than being a bit dirty, the only problem I've had with it is that it meters HORRIBLY out of my Lee Perfect Powder Measure. Does anyone else have any experience with this issue? Charges vary up to .1-.4 gr. (Yes the loads that I have fired I did individually weigh lol)

The only caliber I'm loading right now is 45 ACP and I'm done messing around with the old powder, the question that I really have is how well does Unique meter? I'm going to go to my LGS and pick up a new pound of power tomorrow and I'm wondering whether to go for some Unique or to just get a new jug of Bullseye, with basically my only concern being which one meters the most easily (through my semi low quality power measure and all).

Any comments or suggestions welcome, and sorry if the post is a bit wordy....

Lou Garou
11-07-2011, 18:07
Bullseye is finer then Unique and seems to meter better, in my experience. I never have the problems some people report with Unique, though. It meters fine for me.

Ajax27
11-07-2011, 18:21
Okay cool, I'm thinking I might go with Unique as long as I can get it to meter okay. I might start loading 40 S&W before too long and Unique seems like it would be a suitable powder for both calibers, either that or Power Pistol.

WiskyT
11-07-2011, 18:47
I've never heard of Bullseye metering badly. Winchester 231/HP38 are similar to BE and are a ball powder that should meter as well as any powder could.

Ajax27
11-07-2011, 18:58
Must just be because of the age, the powder has been sitting in its cardboard tube in my dad's closet since the 70's when he used to use it to load 38 wadcutters...

CitizenOfDreams
11-07-2011, 19:45
Unique is not perfect for metering, being shaped in miniature cow patties.

HAMMERHEAD
11-07-2011, 19:51
If you are having trouble with Bullseye, Unique is not going to be an improvement.

There are so many great powders out there that meter so much better. W231 or HP-38 (same powder, different labels) would be my first choice for .45 acp and metered charges.

Steve Koski
11-07-2011, 20:20
If you are having trouble with Bullseye, Unique is not going to be an improvement.

That's what I was gonna say.

However, Unique meters "well enough" and it's a kick ass powder for .40 S&W.

Lou Garou
11-07-2011, 21:00
I like Unique in 9mm for NATO level 124s.

Zombie Steve
11-07-2011, 22:25
I use a bunch of Unique too. It's a great powder, but metering isn't one of it's strengths.

If you're planning on full power .45 auto, Unique will burn relatively clean. Trying to load it down / make light target loads with it will result in an incomplete burn and it will be really dirty. That's true of most medium - slow burn rate powders.

Some better metering alternates for .45 auto on the light end would be 231 and WST. Another for full power would be WSF.

fredj338
11-07-2011, 22:35

There are so many great powders out there that meter so much better. W231 or HP-38 (same powder, different labels) would be my first choice for .45 acp and metered charges.

I totaly agree, maybe a better powder measure? If you want Unque tpye performance w/ better metering, look to WSF. They are almost identical in several calibers I have tried it in. It is my go to powder for 40 & will be in 9mm too.

tjpet
11-08-2011, 16:33
I totaly agree, maybe a better powder measure? If you want Unque tpye performance w/ better metering, look to WSF. They are almost identical in several calibers I have tried it in. It is my go to powder for 40 & will be in 9mm too.

I was just about to suggest this but Fred beat me to it! WSF will handle both soft and hot loads in a variety of calibers plus it meters extremely well.

wdphillips
11-08-2011, 17:21
I use Bullseye and Unique with the Lee's Auto Disk Powder Measure, Pro 1000, Loadmaster, and the Classic Turret. Some of my Bullseye is "old" Hercules in the cardboard container.

I always clean my powder measure with soapy water, rinse and dry. I always take out and rubber "wiper" and clean it thoroughly.

I have also used Bullseye for hand loading with the Perfect Powder Measure.

Uncle Don
11-08-2011, 17:23
I think you are getting good advise and I pesonally really like Unique. If I'm getting a difference in metering, I can't tell it through shooting them.

However, I'd pass on Bullseye as a newer reloader. It's better if you can use a powder that will tell you immediately if you happen to make a double charge. Bullseye is very fast burning and spooks me a little because it doesn't have to take much of an error to make a big difference in pressure.

DoctaGlockta
11-08-2011, 17:31
This thread is making me want to go and buy another 8lb jug of Unique.

Lockback
11-08-2011, 17:34
I use a bunch of Unique too. It's a great powder, but metering isn't one of it's strengths.

Heard that. Not a strength of Unique at all. Very coarse.
However, if you're not pushing it to max levels, it's pretty good.

Ajax27
11-08-2011, 17:38
Thanks for all the great advice y'all! Funny story though, I went to my LGS today and actually ended up getting a pound of Longshot instead of any of these. I ended up going with it because the guy at the store said they over ordered so I managed to pick the pound up for $15! While it may not be the perfect powder for 45 target loads, I figured (and found out just a little earlier today I was correct) that it would fix the metering issues I was having with the Hercules powder.

I made up some rounds at 6.0, 6.2, and 6.4 grains (max being 6.8) with some 230 LRN bullets, so hopefully I'll get to test them out at the range soon!

fredj338
11-08-2011, 18:21
I think you'l find LS a bit slow for optimal loads in the low pressure 45acp. I love it for 357sig & 10mm, even +P 9mm, but for anything but +P 45acp, it's going to flash & bang alot, maybe leave unburnt powder.

Ajax27
11-08-2011, 18:35
I think you'l find LS a bit slow for optimal loads in the low pressure 45acp. I love it for 357sig & 10mm, even +P 9mm, but for anything but +P 45acp, it's going to flash & bang alot, maybe leave unburnt powder.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm expecting, but hopefully it'll work alright, if not it'll at least be an interesting experiment :) Also, the next caliber I'm planning on starting loading is either .40 S&W or .44 Mag so I figure it'd aleast be useful to have some knowledge about LS and how it behaves and all

PCJim
11-08-2011, 19:15
Ajax, with that adventurous attitude (with a healthy dose of cautious respect), you'll make a good reloader. Try different powders, figure out different combinations for when your preferred powder for a particular use is not available. That's part of the fun of being a reloader.

jfrey
11-08-2011, 19:24
I've used Unique for a while in all my .45 loads and like it. I did recently switch to WSF in my 9mm loads because the spin of the shell plate in 9mm would throw a little of the Unique out of the case. This isn't a problem with the larger .45 cases. Taking your powder bar apart and cleaning it every once in a while will improve metering of Unique too.

Zombie Steve
11-08-2011, 19:42
Heard that. Not a strength of Unique at all. Very coarse.
However, if you're not pushing it to max levels, it's pretty good.

Seems like the upper end of the data is where Unique works best.

:dunno:

ursoboostd
11-09-2011, 16:38
I use Unique to load 38spl, 9mm, 40 and 45.

Ajax27
11-10-2011, 19:08
Ajax, with that adventurous attitude (with a healthy dose of cautious respect), you'll make a good reloader. Try different powders, figure out different combinations for when your preferred powder for a particular use is not available. That's part of the fun of being a reloader.

Well thanks! I've got some loads made up using 230gr lead hardcast with 6.0, 6.2, and 6.4 grains of LS, so hopefully I'll get a chance to try them out this weekend

FM12
11-11-2011, 10:32
I've setteled on Bullseye for just about all my handgun and shotgun loads. One powder makes it way simpeler for me anyway. I love Bullseye so much I use it like pepper on my taters!

Careful though, watch for double charges!

Use a lot of Unique too. Especially for my 185 gr JHP in 45 auto.

illrooster132
11-11-2011, 10:46
unique and w231 is my load podwer for .45 acp , 38 splc and 9mm and some 357 magnums

bush pilot
11-11-2011, 12:41
I just finished loading a bunch of plinking loads in .41 magnum using Unique and it meters (RCBS Lil Dandy) well enough for my purposes.

TN.Frank
11-11-2011, 12:57
Has anyone really noticed a big difference between "New" Unique and the old stuff we've all used for a blue million years? I guess it IS a bit cleaner but I never really thought the old stuff was all that bad.

PCJim
11-11-2011, 14:58
Has anyone really noticed a big difference between "New" Unique and the old stuff we've all used for a blue million years? I guess it IS a bit cleaner but I never really thought the old stuff was all that bad.

Maybe because back in the day, we didn't have all these newfangled, cleaner formulations upon which to compare? I do know that BE which I use for my standard IDPA and plinking loads is dirty. Or is that just a result of not cleaning the Sig until it has numerous range trips of residue on it?

GioaJack
11-11-2011, 15:02
If you're interested in a clean sport... take up curling. :whistling:

Jack

WiskyT
11-11-2011, 15:37

I used about 10# of Unique before I got the internet and found out it was dirty:upeyes:

Zombie Steve
11-11-2011, 23:08
If you're interested in a clean sport... take up curling. :whistling:

Jack

Don't knock the sports where you can smoke and drink scotch while playing.

BK63
11-12-2011, 16:47
I've used Unique for more than 25 years with all kinds of stuff. I tend to stick with stuff that works. As far as dirty, you have to clean your guns when you get home anways so whats the difference?

Steve Koski
11-12-2011, 20:30
Now you're talking crazy BK.

Maine1
11-13-2011, 18:58
I love unique. I use it in about everything: 40, 45, 44, 38, 357, 9mm, 10mm.
if i could get a 180/200 gr XTP to 1300/1200 with it, i'd not have any real need for another handgun powder.

mdlott
11-13-2011, 19:08
I feel your pain. I was never able to get the Lee PPM to throw consistent charges with any fine power. Seems you couldn't adjust the screw tight enough to keep the powder from clogging the (drum)? I ditched the Lee and bought an RCBS. It is made of steel and cast iron and doesn't clog with the finest powder.

Chuckc
11-13-2011, 20:30
I've had good luck with both Beye and Unique. charges thrown from either a Redding measure or my trusty Dillon 450 and 550's.
Back in the day, great loads for Bullseye competition using a 45 cal 200 grain SWC was 3.5 - 4.0 grains of Beye.
I've had good luck with 4.2 gr of Beye in my 9mm with 124 gr plated bullets. ~1050fps.
Unique works great in my 40 S&W with either 165gr or 180gr bullets.
I agree that Unique does not meter as well as Beye, but it is more than adequate.

CanyonMan
11-16-2011, 23:41
I am a major lover of Unique, in my 44s/45LC etc. I've used it in 45acp my EDC, but i dicovered Power Pistol, and now am using, and have been, for some years now, 7.6grs of PP behind a 230gr anything, and even in the little G36, am getting 900fps. Not bad in that litle 3" package. I know that 850/875 is fine for the 45acp, but all this started with me looking for a powder that was fairly clean, not much flash, gave good accuracy, and burned well, and would give me some horse power in a 3" 45acp. The PP at the above loading did all that. So the Unique went back with the 2400 and H110 for the 44mags and 45LC's and up.

The G36 will hold a very tight group with the PP, even at 35 + yds, and put 100's of rounds in one hole at combat /SD range, say 7 yards. I think I am putting about 100 rounds in a hole a little larger than a golf ball at 7 yds with this load and powder...

FWIW... Just sharing.

CM

fredj338
11-17-2011, 09:14
I love unique. I use it in about everything: 40, 45, 44, 38, 357, 9mm, 10mm.
if i could get a 180/200 gr XTP to 1300/1200 with it, i'd not have any real need for another handgun powder.
Using Unique, you are waaaaay over pressure getting those kind of vel in the 10mm.:shocked:
The "clean" issue, yes, new Unique leaves less carbon, but many complain that it leaves unburnt powder behind. Most of those folks are loading it in low pressure load. Run Unique above midrange & it burns as clean as most.

Colorado4Wheel
11-17-2011, 10:08
I've used Unique for more than 25 years with all kinds of stuff. I tend to stick with stuff that works. As far as dirty, you have to clean your guns when you get home anways so whats the difference?

:dunno:

I only clean mine about once a month or so. Basically when it's so caked up I just feel guilty not cleaning it. :dunno:

F106 Fan
11-17-2011, 10:46
I've setteled on Bullseye for just about all my handgun and shotgun loads. One powder makes it way simpeler for me anyway. I love Bullseye so much I use it like pepper on my taters!

I did the same thing with 700-X: I used it for 12 gauge trap/skeet loads, .45 ACP and .44 Mag (light loads). I just wanted to buy one keg of powder and do everything with it. There's no point in loading 12 gauge any more so I don't buy it in kegs.

I still use it for .45 ACP and I have loaded some 9mm LRN with it as well. The max charge for 9mm results in a cartridge that might JUST make 125 PF. A fun load but not guaranteed to lock the slide back.

Richard