Need to vent! Thanks in advance for listening. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need to vent! Thanks in advance for listening.

x_out86
11-07-2011, 20:01
Today was just one of those days that makes you really question your faith in some peoples humanity. I need to vent a little bit, so here it goes....

This year our department is doing the Shop with a Cop Program. We did it years ago, but just kind of faded away. This year the Chief asked me if I would be willing to do it again, and I gladly accepted the responsibility. I typed up a letter explaining the program and asking for donations which I started handing out this last Saturday during my shift.

Today I continued handing them out, and was approached by a business owner who I had already dropped off a letter with. This business owner then proceeds to berate me about how I am doing the program.

For some background info, our department is a small one and our area has few choices for shopping. Most people travel about 30 minutes out of town to do their regular shopping at the local stores like Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, etc. We are also a community that has many families living below the poverty line, and the average income in our area is far below the state average. It goes without saying that our area sees a lot of kids that dont have the happiest christmas.

This business owner continues on by saying that I need to keep everything local, and that she cant believe that I am asking for money so that I can turn around and take it out of the area. I tried to explain to her that I would like to do that, but we dont really have any stores in our city that will have the selections of winters clothing and items that I had planned on buying for the kids. (It was my goal to make sure the every kid gets a new coat, snowpants, boots, hat and gloves) I also tell her that she does not need to donate anything if she does not agree with the program.

Now here is the real kicker.....
She then proceeds to tell me that I need to support our city businesses first because all of them pay their taxes, so they basically pay my salary! REALLY??? I am trying to do something nice for some kids that could really use the help, and you turn around and bring out the paying my salary line? I then told her that I wasnt even going to discuss it anymore with her if she was going to start basically insulting me by playing that card.

Ya know, it is days like this that really make me question some things. Try to do something nice for the kids in our community that could really use the help, and this is the thanks that I get. Now dont get me wrong, I understand where she is coming from about shopping local, but that really is not an option for us. I also thought that maybe around the holiday season that she could forget about her profits for a second and be glad that some kids would be getting a little help in the grand scheme of things.

RANT OFF. Thanks for listening guys.:wavey:

KiloBravo
11-07-2011, 20:10
I am not a LEO yet, but that is beyond messed up. I would like to commend you for helping those kids the way you are. Please don't let her dampen your spirit and willingness to give.

On another note, I never understood the "I pay your salary" bit that some of these idiots use. Do they think that cops don't pay taxes or something? So I guess you could say that you help pay your own salary, right? :whistling: :supergrin:

mj9mm
11-07-2011, 20:15
WOW, sorry, people should not be subjected to crap like that, but you are the better person, good luck with your program, maybe she'll come to her senses and apologize.

m2hmghb
11-07-2011, 21:10
Things like this are why I realized I'll never be able to be an officer(aside from the physical limitations as well). I have a tendency to tell people exactly what I think of them. I personally would have told her that since she wants people to shop local, I'll gladly take my business to her competitor. I'm sorry you had to deal with that crap.

collim1
11-07-2011, 21:17
People's ignorance and hatred of authority does not ever cease to amaze me. Hang in there brother.

Bruce M
11-07-2011, 21:18
What kind of a store does she have? Could she order winter clothing from a wholesaler?

PinkoCommie
11-07-2011, 21:22
You are doing a very kind thing for some kids in your community. Don't let her ruin it for you and them. Grin and bear it, and then revel in the feeling you get when the kids get some toasty new gear to get through the Wisconsin winter.

And then, when no one is listening, you can let out how you really feel about that Grinch *****. As far as I am concerned, she can go **** herself.

ray9898
11-07-2011, 21:22
You will never make everyone happy. Do your best to blow it off.

trifecta
11-07-2011, 21:44
So sorry that happened. Some people just don't know how to play nice. You are doing the right thing and sometimes that just has to be enough.

Metro566
11-07-2011, 23:29
I am not a LEO yet, but that is beyond messed up. I would like to commend you for helping those kids the way you are. Please don't let her dampen your spirit and willingness to give.

On another note, I never understood the "I pay your salary" bit that some of these idiots use. Do they think that cops don't pay taxes or something? So I guess you could say that you help pay your own salary, right? :whistling: :supergrin:

They contribute all .000650% of my salary....whoopdie-eff'n-doo.

x_out86
11-08-2011, 01:39
What kind of a store does she have? Could she order winter clothing from a wholesaler?
Of course not...She owns a jewelry store.

Thanks though guys for the encouragement, and the words that make me know that I am not alone in finding a problem with her attitude.

I have to say, I kind of let her get to me tonight. I spent the rest of my shift in a bad mood thinking about this. For a few hours, I even found myself wondering if I should even bother with the program.....But then I remembered that even if I can only help 1 kid, thats enough.

LawScholar
11-08-2011, 02:15
In a few months, some kid is going to trudge through the snow and wind in a cozy new coat.

You think he cares that some mean-spirited hag was ungrateful about it?

Carry on, officer.

Cochese
11-08-2011, 02:54
She can go suck a bag.

Around here, you'd get put in for our Community Service award and the Chief would personally tell her to pound sand from a playground with cat terdz in it.

Brucev
11-08-2011, 07:17
Your venting is perfectly understandable. Everyone of us have those days that leave us asking "Why?" Without exception I commend and applaud you and your dept. for what you are doing for children. May God bless you and your fellow officers.

jwhite75
11-08-2011, 07:59
I once was a young man in college with aspirations of workign in criminal justice and law enforcement. I thought I had a handle on the world in general. until I ACTUALLY started working in the field. Then I learned one of the most important things all criminal justice professionals should know....

SOME PEOPLE ARE JUST IDIOTS!!!!!!

Good for you Officer...you are doing a wonderful thing.

Agent6-3/8
11-08-2011, 08:00
Some people are real ****sticks...no good reason for it, they just are. Kudos to you and your department for doing something good for the local kids!

PinkoCommie
11-08-2011, 08:02
As far as the salary and tax thing goes, you can always tell her that you pay taxes too. And since you pay taxes too, you contribute to your own salary. And so this particular thing you are doing is on your own dime, then.

DaBigBR
11-08-2011, 09:28
Just kick her in the babymaker and move on.

...er...

Yeah, that.

JBaird22
11-08-2011, 15:52
Some people can't stand to see other people doing good things. Keep on trucking and don't let a-holes or politics stand in your way. And you're right, even if you help one kid that is way more than worth it. But you'll be helping more than 1 I am sure. You're an inspiration.

RussP
11-08-2011, 16:26
Ask her what day you can bring 30+ kids in to shop in her store. Ask her to have the most affordable of her products out.

S&WM&PAR15T&G34
11-08-2011, 16:57
Sorry to hear about your day!

GD2J
11-08-2011, 18:04
You don't need to put up with that - just hand out the Chief's number and let them deal with citizens like that. That's why he/she makes the big bucks.

Bruce M
11-08-2011, 18:10
Ask her what day you can bring 30+ kids in to shop in her store. Ask her to have the most affordable of her products out.
That could work.. :rofl:

JackMac
11-08-2011, 20:40
your motives are well founded. The person who confronted you is simply ignorant. Blow it off. I had similar experience about 30 years ago when our department was doing something similar. There is one in every crowd brother.

glockbob
11-08-2011, 23:39
I have worked as LEO with Shop with a Cop programs for two different agencies.

This year I said I would not do it again because of the kids that that I took shopping last Christmas.

The brother and sister from last year couldn't decide between XBox 360 or Playstation 3 video games. I figured if they can afford both gaming systems they shouldn't be shopping with me. Plus I had another brother and sister fighting with eachother.

My father inquired about donating money to the program. I told him to donate it to the previous agency I worked for. I had much better luck with the children from that agency (hometown).

I think I might be jaded after walking into countless houses where there is a 60" TV, empty beer cans, cigarettes, and both parents are unemployed and enrolled in every econ. assistance program.

fla2760
11-09-2011, 01:29
Today was just one of those days that makes you really question your faith in some peoples humanity. I need to vent a little bit, so here it goes....

This year our department is doing the Shop with a Cop Program. We did it years ago, but just kind of faded away. This year the Chief asked me if I would be willing to do it again, and I gladly accepted the responsibility. I typed up a letter explaining the program and asking for donations which I started handing out this last Saturday during my shift.

Today I continued handing them out, and was approached by a business owner who I had already dropped off a letter with. This business owner then proceeds to berate me about how I am doing the program.

For some background info, our department is a small one and our area has few choices for shopping. Most people travel about 30 minutes out of town to do their regular shopping at the local stores like Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, etc. We are also a community that has many families living below the poverty line, and the average income in our area is far below the state average. It goes without saying that our area sees a lot of kids that dont have the happiest christmas.

This business owner continues on by saying that I need to keep everything local, and that she cant believe that I am asking for money so that I can turn around and take it out of the area. I tried to explain to her that I would like to do that, but we dont really have any stores in our city that will have the selections of winters clothing and items that I had planned on buying for the kids. (It was my goal to make sure the every kid gets a new coat, snowpants, boots, hat and gloves) I also tell her that she does not need to donate anything if she does not agree with the program.

Now here is the real kicker.....
She then proceeds to tell me that I need to support our city businesses first because all of them pay their taxes, so they basically pay my salary! REALLY??? I am trying to do something nice for some kids that could really use the help, and you turn around and bring out the paying my salary line? I then told her that I wasnt even going to discuss it anymore with her if she was going to start basically insulting me by playing that card.

Ya know, it is days like this that really make me question some things. Try to do something nice for the kids in our community that could really use the help, and this is the thanks that I get. Now dont get me wrong, I understand where she is coming from about shopping local, but that really is not an option for us. I also thought that maybe around the holiday season that she could forget about her profits for a second and be glad that some kids would be getting a little help in the grand scheme of things.

RANT OFF. Thanks for listening guys.:wavey:
Stand fast brother you are doing a good thing. Tell her that she is free to donate merchandise to the program so people will know what a charitable soul she is.

ArmaGlock
11-09-2011, 05:21
**** her!

Mayhem like Me
11-09-2011, 10:43
I would visit her off duty and give her my response F--- off!

janice6
11-09-2011, 11:03
Some people will always be there. The kind that cannot see any farther then their nose. If it isn't about helping themselves, they cannot see the value. Everything is about them.

You are doing what's right. Don't let the negativity of the few, stop the good being done.

x_out86
11-09-2011, 15:12
I would visit her off duty and give her my response F--- off!

This has crossed my mind more than once. However, I decided to be the bigger person and let it be.

Thanks again guys for all the support. I will be sure to let everybody know how this year turns out.

JBaird22
11-09-2011, 16:10
Since our department doesn't do things like this, and I am not willing to endeavor to organize it (I already do about 300 other things) I thought about suggesting to my guys that we go in and adopt a family like they put on the Christmas tree at Wal Mart. Again, you inspired me.

LC Deputy
11-12-2011, 07:32
I will start off by saying I agree with everyone on here and you just have to ignore her. I work for a county in Illinois and we have been doing this same program for the last 5 years, we only call it "shoppin with a sheriff", since there is a trademark on the "shoppin with a cop".

We also are a smaller community and we usually get around 75-80 kids a year with our department only and with the other department that joins there is close to 175 kids a year. This program only gets bigger every year. We have alot of businesses in the county but we always use Wal-Mart because they donate a certain amount of money to each kid and wrap all the gifts. That is there donation. It helps out alot.

In my opinion you have to get as much as you can for the children as you can. We also do a Draw Down every year to raise money, and that is where we get most of the money to spend on the kids. Any donation we get goes in the Draw Down and is used as a silent auction prize. We let the children go to Wal-Mart and buy what they want. We try also buy them the gloves, hats, etc. seperatly and give those to them.

If you have some questions feel free to IM me and we can talk. Keep up the good work.

smokeross
11-12-2011, 09:49
In a few months, some kid is going to trudge through the snow and wind in a cozy new coat.

You think he cares that some mean-spirited hag was ungrateful about it?

Carry on, officer.
But Hagatha wanted them trudging through the snow with no coat, and some new 'bling.'

A6Gator
11-12-2011, 10:51
You're doing the right thing. Keep the press on.

She's into the "let no good deed go unpunished" crowd.

x_out86
11-12-2011, 23:09
But Hagatha wanted them trudging through the snow with no coat, and some new 'bling.'
LOL. Classic dude...classic.