I received my official letter, but the class date has been postponed! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I received my official letter, but the class date has been postponed!

KiloBravo
11-07-2011, 20:15
I received my official letter stating that I haven been accepted into the next academy class for my dream agency! The problem is, they delayed the class from next week until January. In a way, it is nice because I will get one last birthday and holiday season at home with the family. I was just really looking forward to going this month though. I guess I have waited close to three years with this departments process already, so two more months won't really matter.

I look forward to starting this wonderful career soon enough! :wavey:

RyanNREMTP
11-07-2011, 20:36
Congrats on making it in. Look at it this way, this gives you more time to get in shape for it. Just be careful on Christmas and your birthday.

4949shooter
11-07-2011, 20:38
That stinks but everything happens for a reason. Hang in there. When you consider that I waited three years to get in, an extra two months doesn't seem so bad.

January will be here before you know it.

Good luck!

trdvet
11-07-2011, 20:52
You'll be alright.

blueiron
11-08-2011, 01:16
Welcome to government. Expect the next several decades to go much the same way or worse and you'll make it into a career.

Cochese
11-08-2011, 02:58
Welcome to government. Expect the next several decades to go much the same way or worse and you'll make it into a career.

This.

You'll find the concept of dream agency may change over the next 7.5 years as well. :wavey:

KiloBravo
11-08-2011, 03:52
Thanks everybody. I appreciate the kind words. I will certainly be careful on my birthday and the holidays. I don't drink much anyway, and won't be going any place crazy. I certainly never drink and drive, so the plan is to play it straight up until, and even after graduation.

The biggest thing for me was getting the letter. It was nice to see that finally.

4949shooter
11-08-2011, 05:06
I certainly never drink and drive, so the plan is to play it straight up until, and even after graduation.

Again congrats.

Now you must realize, you will have to play it straight up for the next 25 years. Once you graduate the academy, your life has changed.

KiloBravo
11-08-2011, 05:47
Again congrats.

Now you must realize, you will have to play it straight up for the next 25 years. Once you graduate the academy, your life has changed.

Sir, yes Sir. I will do my absolute best to represent my department, and myself with the utmost pride and respect.

Panzergrenadier1979
11-08-2011, 06:38
I received my official letter stating that I haven been accepted into the next academy class for my dream agency! The problem is, they delayed the class from next week until January. In a way, it is nice because I will get one last birthday and holiday season at home with the family. I was just really looking forward to going this month though. I guess I have waited close to three years with this departments process already, so two more months won't really matter.

I look forward to starting this wonderful career soon enough! :wavey:

Congratulations! You did it!

Don't sweat the January start date. This career is full of delays; new equipment will be delayed, court will be delayed, promotions will be delayed, training classes will be delayed....etc.

scottydl
11-08-2011, 08:29
Congrats! You made it through the big one, and now begins the next waiting game of MANY to come in this career. ;)

Nothing wrong with having goals and the whole "dream agency" idea, but do be careful about your expectations. You'll find there are lot of people in LE jobs that moan and complain for really stupid reasons, despite this amazing profession we have. Careful who you hang out with and don't be dragged down by the naysayers.

But again, well done.

KiloBravo
11-08-2011, 08:51
Congratulations! You did it!

Don't sweat the January start date. This career is full of delays; new equipment will be delayed, court will be delayed, promotions will be delayed, training classes will be delayed....etc.

Thanks! :wavey: It is good to know that this setback is just preparing me for what is to come in the future then I suppose. :supergrin:

KiloBravo
11-08-2011, 08:54
Congrats! You made it through the big one, and now begins the next waiting game of MANY to come in this career. ;)

Nothing wrong with having goals and the whole "dream agency" idea, but do be careful about your expectations. You'll find there are lot of people in LE jobs that moan and complain for really stupid reasons, despite this amazing profession we have. Careful who you hang out with and don't be dragged down by the naysayers.

But again, well done.

Thanks so much! I hear you about the downers. I made up my mind before even applying for this career, that I would not let any of those types of people get to me. I spent the first part of my life being an angry young kid, and so I made a promise to myself long ago to try the find the positive in as much as possible.

BLACK Z
11-08-2011, 10:31
And which dream agency is it?

KiloBravo
11-08-2011, 11:46
And which dream agency is it?

PM inbound...

Cruiser1
11-08-2011, 14:45
Congrats, and definetly get used to waiting and waiting and waiting.

IGotIt
11-08-2011, 14:52
The delay stinks but look at it this way, by time the academy is over, the weather will be nice and you won't be humping calls in the snow, ice, and slush until the following winter.

cysoto
11-08-2011, 14:57
The problem is, they delayed the class from next week until January.

That's not always a bad thing! Don't over-indulge on the Holiday feasts and make sure you maintain physical training regimen through the season.

January will be here faster than you think... Congratulations!!

blk69stang
11-08-2011, 15:06
Use this extra time to train. Train your butt off. You want to be able to be the "PT Stud" of your class if possible, because if the physical part is easy then you don't have to stress about IT and can instead concentrate on your classwork. Also, study anything you know you'll have to learn ahead of time. Get a "leg up".

And my last advice, pay super close attention the first couple of weeks in class and ACE the first test or two. The reason I say this is that the first tests with the easier materials are worth the same as the last tests with the hardest stuff. If you can log some good test scores in the beginning, you'll have a nice "cushion" if your grades slip on the harder tests later on. Plus, it will give you a good "knowledge base" to build on, making learning the hard stuff that much easier.

KiloBravo
11-08-2011, 20:06
I really appreciate the support everybody. I hope to call you all my brothers one day soon. I wi for sure maintain discipline and keep running and working out. I have come far for a relapse.

rgregoryb
11-08-2011, 21:19
This.

You'll find the concept of dream agency may change over the next 7.5 years as well. :wavey:

That animal went extinct years ago....................

Hack
11-08-2011, 22:47

Yeah, true dat. I have found that there are agencies that are different shades of grey, some better than others, and so on. I am glad I work for who I work for as a CO. I did not go as far as I have planned, though I may go a little further up the ladder rungs before I retire. But, even with all of the misfits I have worked with, all of the knuckle headed stuff I have seen, I would not trade spots for any other agency in the field of corrections. Besides, I am too close to retirement to want to change.

Good luck Deer Predator: all good things and all of that. It will happen for you if you went this far with them.

Patchman
11-09-2011, 17:20
Well, it's not like you have any choice but to wait.

So good luck.

As others have pointed out, in LE waiting is a patience you need to develop. Nothing good is "for sure" until you're actually there. And after you get there, you'll wonder when that good thing is going to get puled out from under you. :)

Keep focused on the ball. You're too close.

Patchman
11-09-2011, 17:27
Sir, yes Sir. I will do my absolute best to represent my department...

The local yokels work for Departments. Upon being sworn in, you'll be working for an AGENCY.

Get the lingo right. :)

Cochese
11-09-2011, 17:27
Spot on. I have been in the process for a federal position for going on three YEARS.

KiloBravo
11-09-2011, 19:46
The local yokels work for Departments. Upon being sworn in, you'll be working for an AGENCY.

Get the lingo right. :)

Oops. My bad. :embarassed:

KiloBravo
11-09-2011, 19:48
Spot on. I have been in the process for a federal position for going on three YEARS.

The waiting game sucks doesn't it? Lol

Good luck to you. I hope you get everything you are after.

Newcop761
11-09-2011, 21:22

The grass may be greener somewhere else because they use more bull****.

Congratulations and just remember it's all part of the game.

Sent from my Nexus One

RVER
11-10-2011, 06:04
Congrats!!! Don't get hurt and January will soon be here.

A guy I know was accepted into a Federal Agency and was due to start the academy just prior to reaching the age cut off. His academy class was delayed and re-scheduled to start AFTER his birthday... he was informed that he no longer qualified due to his age. I thought that he was going to jump off a building :crying:

BLACK Z
11-10-2011, 07:33
That sucks, My Girlfriend got hired before teh age cutoff, She then had to deffer the Academy for one session due to family issue, when the next class came around she was over the cut off age but since she was appointed before she hit the age cut off she was allowed to go forward She is now a NY State Trooper.

Patchman
11-11-2011, 18:11
A guy I know was accepted into a Federal Agency and was due to start the academy just prior to reaching the age cut off. His academy class was delayed and re-scheduled to start AFTER his birthday... he was informed that he no longer qualified due to his age. I thought that he was going to jump off a building :crying:

That sucks, My Girlfriend got hired before teh age cutoff, She then had to deffer the Academy for one session due to family issue, when the next class came around she was over the cut off age but since she was appointed before she hit the age cut off she was allowed to go forward She is now a NY State Trooper.

That's why being sworn in is so important. The second milestone is passing probation.

Cochese
11-11-2011, 21:40

Good luck to you. I hope you get everything you are after.

Me too.

I can't believe I even got through the hoops presented thus far.

Next step is my oral board. :supergrin:

KiloBravo
11-12-2011, 06:07
Me too.

I can't believe I even got through the hoops presented thus far.

Next step is my oral board. :supergrin:

Kind of like starting all over again aye? :whistling:

4949shooter
11-12-2011, 06:51

Had one guy in my class who was back for the third time. He wanted to be a trooper in the worst way. His brother had been killed LOD.

He didn't make it his third time either..

LC Deputy
11-12-2011, 07:38
Congrats

BLACK Z
11-12-2011, 10:51
How do you fail three times? There was a guy that was fired by the Queens County DA's Office and he need full police power I guess so he had attended 3 Academy's also and failed, His last that I know of was the class behind me.

Cruiser1
11-12-2011, 11:15
I was on active duty with the Navy when I attended my first academy in California. Had orders cut for detached duty, received full pay and the Navy picked up the full tab for academy. After retiring from the Navy I applied and was accepted by a Federal Agency. I was past the official age cutoff date and received a 3 year waiver for my military time.

Cochese
11-12-2011, 11:17
Kind of like starting all over again aye? :whistling:

In a matter of speaking.

Except I will probably have a little more fun in the academy this time around. I'm not too worried about the range, DT, FLETC PT, driving, etc. Learning federal laws will be interesting.

It'll kinda be like going through high school again at 25. ;)

Cruiser1
11-12-2011, 12:25
In a matter of speaking.

Except I will probably have a little more fun in the academy this time around. I'm not too worried about the range, DT, FLETC PT, driving, etc. Learning federal laws will be interesting.

25 - Try going thru at 44. Thankfully I had just retired from the Navy and was in good shape so the PT part really was not that dificult (most days). It also helped that I had a degree in Criminal Justice with some graduate work on Federal codes. I had been planing this move for several years prior to retiring from the Navy and made sure that I was ready in every way that I could. Now I am retired again and doing contract consulting work for the same agency. Work half the hours and getting paid twice as much. Life is good.

Cochese
11-12-2011, 12:30
25 - Try going thru at 44. Thankfully I had just retired from the Navy and was in good shape so the PT part really was not that dificult (most days). It also helped that I had a degree in Criminal Justice with some graduate work on Federal codes. I had been planing this move for several years prior to retiring from the Navy and made sure that I was ready in every way that I could. Now I am retired again and doing contract consulting work for the same agency. Work half the hours and getting paid twice as much. Life is good.

I'm not 25. I was just making an example :supergrin: I wish.

I'm also recovering from shoulder surgery related to a vehicular assault on duty, so PT will probably be dependent on my body cooperating each day, but from what I've heard about CITP, I don't have to worry too much.

blueiron
11-12-2011, 14:18
The Feds :upeyes:

I really hope those that go Fed have a much better experience than I did. Based on what I am seeing from what line agents of the BATFE, CBE, and others are going through, I made the right decision to depart.

Cruiser1
11-12-2011, 16:00
I'm not 25. I was just making an example :supergrin: I wish.

I'm also recovering from shoulder surgery related to a vehicular assault on duty, so PT will probably be dependent on my body cooperating each day, but from what I've heard about CITP, I don't have to worry too much.

Keep up the PT and good luck. You really do want to be in shape and ready to go. Can't let the kids think they have anything on the "old man".
My class consisted of 41 students; about half were under 30. I actually was not the oldest, but I was the oldest to graduate. Most were dropped or rolled back to other classes because of physical issues. Most came with some experience either military or civilian, many had both.

CJStudent
11-14-2011, 07:38
In a matter of speaking.

From what I saw of the various CITP programs when I was there this summer, and from talking to people from various agencies in them, it seemed like it was pretty fun, though I've heard it's VERY challenging academically. One guy said he had a master's degree, and this was the hardest course academically he'd ever taken. I think he was there with one of the OIG agencies.