Need advice on barrel [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on barrel

Bighoss
11-07-2011, 22:31
I am looking for a Light weight barrel for my new build. I would like it to be 16 inches and have a 1 in 7 twist and I do believe in buy once cry once philosophy so give me suggestions on a high end light weight barrel that fit the bill for me.

Thank you

surf
11-07-2011, 23:43
16", 1:7, lightweight, high end, buy once cry once.....

Look no further. http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=b-16lw-556&cat=158&page=1&search=&since=&status=&title=

:supergrin:

In reality there are other good choices from other manufacturers and chrome lined options, but high end in the specs you ask, the Noveske is pretty much the top of the heap.

crazymoose
11-08-2011, 00:02
https://danieldefense.com/cold-hammer-forged-barrels/16-5-56mm-lightweight-mid-length-chf-barrel-complete.html

This if you want toughness over accuracy. Not to say the DD won't be accurate, and the Noveske won't be tough, but the stainless Noveske is very, very accurate and fairly durable, while the DD will be very, very durable and fairly accurate.

GearGuru
11-08-2011, 08:36
http://www.saodind.com

Lothar Walther LW50 stainless, can have any profile you want... dead nuts accurate and tough.

surf
11-08-2011, 13:24
I don't really buy into the chrome lined is a better option for durability for the majority of shooters. I know what stats on paper, or what science might say, but first hand experience in many many barrels, for many many users, with thousands upon thousands of rounds, what I have seen is that in reality 99% of non-combat shooters would never realize a difference in durability. Quite honestly I have put Noveske SS barrels through some serious shooting that rivals top quality chrome lined barrels and really haven't seen indicators that decisively tells me that the Noveske SS barrel, as an example, is losing out or degrading. If they do start to diminish in accuracy after thousands upon thousands of rounds, they generally only start to drop to accuracy levels that are only achieved by the higher quality chrome lined barrels and overall barrel life again outlasts most shooters.

Extreme doses of constantly occurring high volume, or select fire and chrome lining would get the edge, but again I have done the same with SS barrels and got great results. However the overwhelming majority of shooters won't see a difference.

So is the SS barrel expense worth the increase in accuracy vs durability debate? IMO the debate isn't so much accuracy vs durability, but rather is the cost often associated with SS barrels worth paying for. And that decision comes with other factors, such as shooters skill, type of shooting and type of optic used.

crazymoose
11-08-2011, 16:14
Very true. I've used a few Noveske barrels in builds, and don't think I'm anywhere near close to shooting them out. Then again, I don't have deep enough pockets to do a bunch of mag dump durability tests, so I really have to rely on what the metallurgists tell me. I will say I was pretty impressed by BigBore's fairly punishing test of a run of the mill stainless barrel and how well it held up. A lot of the stainless barrel's reputation comes from bench rest guys who blow a gasket when the barrel starts widening groups by 1/8".

Bighoss
11-08-2011, 19:48
I looked at the noveske barrel and I have the recon profile 16" stainless noveske on another build but that rifle ended up being about 11 pounds. I didn't think that 6 oz. was a huge difference in weight but I am fairly new to AR's so is a 29 oz. barrel truly light weight or more middle of the road for weight.

surf
11-08-2011, 21:04
I looked at the noveske barrel and I have the recon profile 16" stainless noveske on another build but that rifle ended up being about 11 pounds. I didn't think that 6 oz. was a huge difference in weight but I am fairly new to AR's so is a 29 oz. barrel truly light weight or more middle of the road for weight.Here is an example and is pretty correct no matter the brand. A 16" DD M4 profile chrome lined barrel is about 2.1 lbs. The 16" DD chrome lined pencil barrel is about 1.5 lbs, or 6 ounces difference. 6 ounces is a big difference especially on the barrel as it stretches outward. For comparison the Noveske 16" SS lightweight barrel comes in at 1.8 lbs, so pretty middle of the road and a very reasonable weight for a SS barrel.

Edit - I should also add that noticing accuracy differences in a quality chrome lined barrel vs quality SS barrel is minimal in a battle type rifle with say iron sights or non magnified red dot optic. Only when you start going for precision with magnification from a stable position do you start seeing differences in accuracy. And even then very high quality chrome lined barrels come pretty darn close.

Bighoss
11-08-2011, 21:22
One more question what is the difference between a mid-length and carbine length gas system what are the pros and cons of each.

surf
11-09-2011, 21:37
One more question what is the difference between a mid-length and carbine length gas system what are the pros and cons of each.It is the length of the gas tube and the overall gas system. Advantages to the midlength are longer handguards because the front sight is further away from the receiver which in turn gives a longer sight radius, if there are iron sights. This would give a potential for better precision. Some claim a softer shooting weapon, but I don't notice that in any practical shooting. Also some claim less wear on parts but again I call BS on that in any practical or measurable sense.

BBJones
11-10-2011, 15:35
It is the length of the gas tube and the overall gas system. Advantages to the midlength are longer handguards because the front sight is further away from the receiver which in turn gives a longer sight radius, if there are iron sights. This would give a potential for better precision. Some claim a softer shooting weapon, but I don't notice that in any practical shooting. Also some claim less wear on parts but again I call BS on that in any practical or measurable sense.

No reason to not get a midlength if getting a 16" barrel.

Surf you might be right on the BS, but I would have to say the midlength slows down the speed of cycling which when compare to a standard carbine has to be an improvement.

K. Foster
11-10-2011, 17:29
Some claim a softer shooting weapon, but I don't notice that in any practical shooting. Also some claim less wear on parts but again I call BS on that in any practical or measurable sense.

I agree.
A middy does have less potential for parts wear but to what degree? A small one, Iím sure. Get a middy for the longer sight radius and hand guard.

crazymoose
11-10-2011, 19:25
There's a problem comparing a CAR 16" barrel to a Mid 16" barrel, and that is the variability in the manufacturers.

Pretty much all 16" CAR guns used to be overgassed (gas ports too large) and under-buffered. That's why you'd see broken carbine bolts far more than with rifles, etc. Nowadays, companies who pay attention (BCM, DD, Noveske) have largely tackled the CAR problems with heavier buffers, extractor upgrades, and smaller gas ports, to the point that CAR vs. Mid is almost a non-issue. However, if you're going with a non-top-tier rifle, lots of companies still use giant gas ports so they don't get a million calls a day from bubbas wondering why weak ammo like Wolf won't properly cycle their rifles.

From a non-premium company, I'd say get Mid. From a top-level company, I say it doesn't matter.