Advice on my New AR Please? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Advice on my New AR Please?

Shoeless
11-07-2011, 23:50
Ok NOOB here. You've been warned. :embarassed:

I bought a Stag Arms AR (Model 3) a couple months ago and haven't even had a chance to take it to the range yet. I want to read and learn enough that I feel comfortable that I know how to care for it before I just break it out and shoot it.

So I guess what I'm asking is this... if you had to give one piece of advice on each of the following, (along with your reasons why you'd give that advice) what would it be?

1. Outfitting with iron sights

2. Accessories

3. Care and maintenance

THANK YOUUUUUUU so much in advance and I can't wait to learn some new stuff!!

Shoeless :wavey:

WoodenPlank
11-08-2011, 00:02
Ok NOOB here. You've been warned. :embarassed:

I bought a Stag Arms AR (Model 3) a couple months ago and haven't even had a chance to take it to the range yet. I want to read and learn enough that I feel comfortable that I know how to care for it before I just break it out and shoot it.

So I guess what I'm asking is this... if you had to give one piece of advice on each of the following, (along with your reasons why you'd give that advice) what would it be?

1. Outfitting with iron sights

2. Accessories

3. Care and maintenance

THANK YOUUUUUUU so much in advance and I can't wait to learn some new stuff!!

Shoeless :wavey:

Iron sights: Troy or Daniel Defense fixed if you are not going to use an optic (I believe you mentioned previously that you had a Barska), or Magpul or Troy folding sights if you are using an optic. You can use fixed sights with most optics, but I prefer folding sights for use with an optic. For the front sight, you will need one the correct height for your gas block, since it does not match the height of the upper receiver rail. if you go with Magpul folding sights, you will have to mount the front to the handguard, not to the gas block.

Optic: Ditch the Barksa and go with something of better quality. For a range/plinking/fun rifle, look at Primary Arms. For anything serious/defensive, stick with an Aimpoint, Trijicon or EO Tech optic instead.

Accessories: Quality sling, and a quality weapon light (even a basic one) if you are going to rely on this rifle for HD/SD use. If it's a pure range/fun rifhel, the light isn't needed, but the sling will come in handy. Vickers or VTAC would be my choices for sling. You can also look at small upgrades, like an extended trigger guard, different pistol grip, nicer stock, etc. Most of these options are pure user preference.

Cleaning - keep the bolt carrier group lubricated with a quality lube. I prefer Slip 2000, but there are several other options, as well. Clean when you feel like it needs a cleaning, but the key is definitely keeping the bolt group well lubricated. Not only will the lubed bolt keep things running, but will make cleaning easier when you go to scrape all the gunk off.

MrMurphy
11-08-2011, 04:11
Pretty much what plank said.

For learning....

Mike Pannone's 'M4/M16 handbook' is written for junior enlisted troops, but the vast majority of the information is usable by you since you're using effectively the same gun.

Kyle Lamb's Green Eyes Black Rifles is also good on 'everything'. Tactics, accessories, the what, why, where and when, etc.

http://www.laruetactical.com/books-dvd039s?page=1 has both.

Frog1
11-08-2011, 05:28
Get the CMMG .22 conversion unit. The best gun investment I have made in a long time. My model 2 works very good with this unit. Saves a ton of money and a lot of fun. Use Federal bulk.

WoodenPlank
11-08-2011, 19:11
Get the CMMG .22 conversion unit. The best gun investment I have made in a long time. My model 2 works very good with this unit. Saves a ton of money and a lot of fun. Use Federal bulk.

I prefer a dedicated .22 rifle or upper, personally. The proper bore diameter for the .22LR helps with accuracy, and prevents any extra wear and tear on your "work" barrel from firing the undersized projectiles through it.

Otherwise, the books Murphy suggested are good choices.

pag23
11-08-2011, 19:24
The Kyle Lamb book is pretty good. I also liked the books by Sweeney to get a different perspective.

Nice selection on the Stag!

Good advice from the previous posters... I tend to read alot and there are several good posts from various experienced members.

I definitely recommend a light and sling... the VTAC brand is pretty good IMO

WoodenPlank
11-08-2011, 19:36
The Kyle Lamb book is pretty good. I also liked the books by Sweeney to get a different perspective.

Nice selection on the Stag!

Good advice from the previous posters... I tend to read alot and there are several good posts from various experienced members.

I definitely recommend a light and sling... the VTAC brand is pretty good IMO

Yep. There are several good options on the VTAC website for weapon lights, but my preference would be the L4 with VTAC mount. Under $200 gets you the same performance and size as the Surefire Scout 600, but with a VTAC mount and no pressure pad. Pretty good tradeoff for the cost, IMO. There are less expensive bundles on there, too.