High Primers on .223 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : High Primers on .223

wdphillips
11-08-2011, 15:48
I used my Lee Pro 1000 with case feeder to load up about 500 .223 Remington’s for my AR. The Pro 1000 works simple and works great! :supergrin:

Thanks for the flex light tip PCJim, I was able to easily check each case for powder while in the press. :wavey:

I did use some once fired military brass for the first time that had the primer crimp removed. For the most part the brass worked great. However I did wind up with about 5 rounds with a slightly high primer. Maybe I should have “uniformed” primer pockets first. Next time!

My question is should I tear these few rounds down or chance shooting them through my AR? After reading a few blurbs of AR rounds battery firing I have opted not to chance shooting them.

GioaJack
11-08-2011, 16:08
Have your wife shoot the high primers... if something goes wrong don't worry about it, you can meet all kinds of new women at dance classes.

See the kinds of nifty things you can learn on a reloading forum.

Jack

PCJim
11-08-2011, 16:41
Have some fun with them! Load only those five high primers into a single mag, insert the mag, shoulder the AR and point it in a safe direction, then release the bolt. About the worse that can happen is that you have a 5 round burst! :supergrin:

wdphillips
11-08-2011, 17:05
Have your wife shoot the high primers... if something goes wrong don't worry about it, you can meet all kinds of new women at dance classes.

See the kinds of nifty things you can learn on a reloading forum.

Jack

Speaking of dance classes...my wife and I attended the Southeastern Colorado Stockmen's Association ball on Saturday! I can load .223s but I did not know how to do the "two step". I guess you know where I am going to be!

michael e
11-08-2011, 17:11
I have had a few high ones when before. I just loaded up at top of mag, didn't drop slide till ready to fire. Never had any go off without pulling trigger.

wdphillips
11-08-2011, 17:12
Have some fun with them! Load only those five high primers into a single mag, insert the mag, shoulder the AR and point it in a safe direction, then release the bolt. About the worse that can happen is that you have a 5 round burst! :supergrin:

Jim:

Hmmmm you may have hit on something. "High Primer Bump Firing"! A lot cheaper than my Slide Fire Solution. I have them all in a magazine...

Zombie Steve
11-08-2011, 17:14
Just tear them down and load them again. I doubt you'd have an out of battery incident... likely wouldn't fire at all on the first shot, but better safe than sorry.

I don't pray much, but when I hear of Jack at dance classes, I will say a quick prayer for the one what wants to git close to this...

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x214/sbecht/GioaJack.jpg

PCJim
11-08-2011, 18:01
Jim:

Hmmmm you may have hit on something. "High Primer Bump Firing"! A lot cheaper than my Slide Fire Solution. I have them all in a magazine...

A local board that I am a member of had a group get-together last month. I was able to see the SlideFire in action against some NFA full autos. The SF unit is definitely a lot less expensive, not a lot more than the cost of the NFA stamp! It ran very well against the FAs.

Only downside is that it teaches you bad form... :wow:

wdphillips
11-08-2011, 18:08
A local board that I am a member of had a group get-together last month. I was able to see the SlideFire in action against some NFA full autos. The SF unit is definitely a lot less expensive, not a lot more than the cost of the NFA stamp! It ran very well against the FAs.

Only downside is that it teaches you bad form... :wow:

I have one and it will definitely bring a smile to your face!

If you believe that "shooting is just a by product of reloading" you really need an AR-15 with a Slide Fire stock!