Tools/books for a noob? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tools/books for a noob?

Truffle8Shuffle
11-09-2011, 09:51
As I'm waiting for my Spike's mid-length to get here (seems like it's been forever) I was hoping to get some advice on any basic tools I'll need or books that will help me along my new black rifle endeavor.

Thanks! :wavey:

Truffle8Shuffle
11-10-2011, 07:12
Nobody??? :crying:

WoodenPlank
11-10-2011, 07:15
Tool: Multitasker - nice to have, but not mandatory
Quality lube of your choice
Green Eyes and Black Rifles by Kyle Lamb

Truffle8Shuffle
11-10-2011, 07:25
Tool: Multitasker - nice to have, but not mandatory
Quality lube of your choice
Green Eyes and Black Rifles by Kyle Lamb

Thanks! :wavey:

Clint-M
11-10-2011, 07:30
That's about all you'll need for a while. I started out with the set-up WoodenPlank described but I'm too much of a busybody and as soon as I got into black rifles I began reading books, watching DVDs, and buying tools and parts just to tinker. The "addiction" for me is in the build and working on guns just as much if not more than shooting them.

Learn your rifle. Components, function, how to strip it to pieces and put it back together, etc. Most of which can be learned with Youtube now. Then shoot the piss out of it and don't forget to post some pictures!

CM

WoodenPlank
11-10-2011, 07:53
That's about all you'll need for a while. I started out with the set-up WoodenPlank described but I'm too much of a busybody and as soon as I got into black rifles I began reading books, watching DVDs, and buying tools and parts just to tinker. The "addiction" for me is in the build and working on guns just as much if not more than shooting them.

Learn your rifle. Components, function, how to strip it to pieces and put it back together, etc. Most of which can be learned with Youtube now. Then shoot the piss out of it and don't forget to post some pictures!

CM

Yep. You can field strip your AR without tools. Dental picks come in handy if it's REALLY nasty, though.

Bore snake or whatever tool you prefer for cleaning the bore.

Once you start deciding to make more serious changes, though, other tools can come in handy. Vice, upper and lower receiver blocks, stock wrench, torque wrench for barrel nuts, allen wrench set, screwdrivers.... Yeah, the list gets heavy when you get heavy into changing rails/barrels/etc.

MStarmer
11-10-2011, 09:53
Make Ready with Travis Haley isn't bad, a little spendy but I like how he goes thru all the malfunctions and zeros. Of course the Magpul videos as well.

Truffle8Shuffle
11-10-2011, 17:00
Thanks guys. I agree that half the enjoyment of owning a gun is learning how it works along with learning how to shoot it. I'm going to have a basic set-up to start but may/will change things up a bit in the future so I just wanted to know some of the basic tools and/or books that would help with that. Youtube is a great source but you can't beat books, in my opinion. I can already field strip an AR thanks to working with guns and having some free time with them so I just need to learn the more detailed workings.

And yes, pictures will be posted and I will be shooting the piss out of it. :supergrin: