PDA

View Full Version : Why you should carry with 1 in the chamber

Dalton Wayne
11-09-2011, 12:47
Why you should carry with 1 in the chamber

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syxrpLbaEuY&feature=channel_video_title

Dennis in MA
11-09-2011, 12:51
Maybe they should retitle it, "Should you get that close, with no easy escape route, to some dude that seems "wrong" to you?"

GioaJack
11-09-2011, 12:52
You should always carry with ONE in the chamber... because TWO won't fit.

Jack

PBCounty
11-09-2011, 13:00
No need of convincing here. The only guy I know who does carry an unloaded pistol explains that "It's so I have extra time to think about what I'm going to do." That pretty much says it all.

jp3975
11-09-2011, 13:01
I wonder how they would do with a safety that had to be turned off?

Sometimes I tell people who carry guns with safeties that it takes too long to take them off safety. Im usually met with "it just takes practice."

Anon1
11-09-2011, 13:10
I wonder how they would do with a safety that had to be turned off?

Sometimes I tell people who carry guns with safeties that it takes too long to take them off safety. Im usually met with "it just takes practice."

It takes exactly 0 seconds longer. The safety is disengaged **while** you are performing the draw stroke.

cowboywannabe
11-09-2011, 13:10
safeties that can be disengaged with the shooting hand without adjusting ones grip are fine. its the two handed loading of a round etc. that is for the birds.

edited, she performed tactical errors in that video, but i guess that was the point.

Adjuster
11-09-2011, 13:11
I like it when she draws and her shirt comes up.

Bren
11-09-2011, 13:32
Action beats reaction. Most people carrying a gun know too little about using it in self-defense to realize that is a factor. At the range, you are the actor, but in self-defense, you are reacting. Big difference. At 4 times that distance, you'd do well to draw and fire 1 shot against an unexpected attacker (remember, she is expecting it). With no round chambered, you'd be unlikely to beat somebody across the street.

DO NOT take my word for it. We used to practice this in the hallway of the police department with rulers. Try it at home and see how far away you have to be before a person with a gun can beat you with a knife, where you are the "actor." Then factor in another 10-15 feet for the fact that you aren't expecting it out on the street. I've seen a case where the guy with the knife made it well past the "21 foot" line with 8 real bullets in him (6 10mm and 2 .40 S&W), including 2 to the head.

AA#5
11-09-2011, 13:43
There is another reason to have one in the chamber.

Sometimes when chambering a round, it doesn't go right. The round may not chamber properly, especially when trying to do it in a panic situation - sweaty hands, less-than-perfect grip on the slide, not pulling the slide all the way back, riding the slide forward etc.

Bilbo Bagins
11-09-2011, 13:54
It still doesn't matter. A skilled guy with a decent sized knife that close will probably get you no matter what.

Meanwhile just a side note at 0:50...I swear I saw some boobage :rofl:

LongGoneDays
11-09-2011, 13:59
Some of you see a hot chick.

Some of you see Sarah Jessica Parker on a better body.

This is what I see

http://blog.rifftrax.com/wp-content/photos/LadyElaine.jpg

faceplant
11-09-2011, 14:07
Why do we care how others carry their guns?

The video was made to show the outcome they wanted. I don't think in real life she would get the shot off.

Edited to add: She has a butter face but it is better than the hand puppet.

Psychman
11-09-2011, 14:09
LOL. It sure is hard for some of you guys to stick on point isn't it? It was black, right?

Palouse
11-09-2011, 14:20
It was black, right?

That was my guess.

goatranch
11-09-2011, 14:23
SHE has not heard of the 21 foot rule.

G33
11-09-2011, 14:53
You should always carry with ONE in the chamber... because TWO won't fit.

Jack

I carry 6 or 5 in the chamber.
:tongueout:

DustyDawg48
11-09-2011, 14:56
She is on Facebook, Limatunes I believe, and has done a lot of blogs on concealed carry. She even does yoga while packing and even had a blog detailing carrying while pregnant.

Take the training wheels off and carry with one in the pipe. My deciding factor when when I was out walking and was *almost* attacked by a dog. I would have probably had my support arm chewed up and couldn't have ever racked the slide while fighting off Cujo. It feels funny the first few times you do it...then it feels even weirder when you don't.

mixflip
11-09-2011, 15:09
Here is what happens when people carry guns and never stress train to deploy them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9igSoJHEdUo (a classic with Dan Inosanto but still relevant today)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL1zX-SrBH0 (crazy man with a knife takes out 3 cops)

bobelk99
11-09-2011, 16:05
If I am going to carry a club, I want one bigger than an unloaded handgun.

eb31
11-09-2011, 16:23
My opinion:

1. Through many interactions with Limatunes (and her husband) on another forum, they are both idiots. They have dillusions that they are like Mr. and Mrs. Smith ...the movie. Ridiculous and sad.

2. See 1.

Blaster
11-09-2011, 16:43
"Why you should carry with 1 in the chamber" = Fail

Just because you have a gun does not mean there is time to deploy and effectively use it (as illustrated by the associated video).

A more appropriate title would be: How to draw a gun while being stabbed.

As presented in the video the first priority is to defend against the knife attack. The knife must be controlled first. Too many people fail to understand that the gun is not always the answer.

Mayhem like Me
11-09-2011, 16:46
My opinion:

1. Through many interactions with Limatunes (and her husband) on another forum, they are both idiots. They have dillusions that they are like Mr. and Mrs. Smith ...the movie. Ridiculous and sad.

2. See 1.

1. You have a higher opinion of yourself than others do.

2. see 1.

purrrfect 10
11-09-2011, 17:00
Not in the chamber..............................................
For some reason to this point I carry nothing in the chamber it was the way I learned to carry. I have over thousand times practiced draw around my property with nothing in the mag nothing in the chamber and live fire........The extra split second ya might think...is included with my draw on target then fire is almost flawless to my draw.

Guess it's just how ya learn... for me it is included all in the same motion/draw a micro split second or the same time as my gun is on target. bullet is in the chamber and I'm firing................... Just Saying...............

Jay9928
11-09-2011, 17:26
The comment all in caps about the bellybutton shot... :rofl:

okie
11-09-2011, 17:30
I never understood carrying on an empty chamber, if a person is that scared of it maybe they shouldn't even carry a gun:supergrin:

MB-G26
11-09-2011, 17:33
I need to make up my mind and either DO or DON'T *always* either one way, or the other. Seriously, I brought this topic up w/Mr. Wilson less than 2 wks. ago.

Typically, I sleep w/the 26 on the nightstand thingie next to my side of the bed, w/o one in the chamber for all the 'sleepiness/stupidness/what-if type reasons one can list.

Usually the .38 wheelie is on the shelves in the living room (apt., 2BR, 1 LVrm/gathering room, kitchen and bathroom). Obviously, 'one in the pipe' isn't an issue for the .38.

But I am totally a creature of habit as well as a big fan of repetition, of always doing 'x' a certain way ALL the time.

If I go out into the world w/the 26, I'd prefer to have one in the chamber on top of a full mag. But, to switch back and forth means (a) remembering to do so, (b) fiddling with the gun not always under the most attentive of circumstances, (c) not having that instinctive/habit-based awareness of yes it is/not it isn't in an emergent circumstance.

I need to PICK ONE method and stick with it. Being a circa 2010/2011 G26 means I don't have to add external safeties, stupid extra locks, whatever, into the mental 'go-to' equation. I like the idea of having that small margin of error against stupidity that an empty chamber can provide in certain circumstances........ yet, there's still the down side of added reaction/response time with having to wrack the slide first in an emergent situation.

Shart........ I dunno........... I still can't decide. But I really do need to PICK something, pick ONE way or the other, and stick with it.

frank4570
11-09-2011, 17:38
I need to make up my mind and either DO or DON'T *always* either one way, or the other. Seriously, I brought this topic up w/Mr. Wilson less than 2 wks. ago.

Typically, I sleep w/the 26 on the nightstand thingie next to my side of the bed, w/o one in the chamber for all the 'sleepiness/stupidness/what-if type reasons one can list.

Usually the .38 wheelie is on the shelves in the living room (apt., 2BR, 1 LVrm/gathering room, kitchen and bathroom). Obviously, 'one in the pipe' isn't an issue for the .38.

But I am totally a creature of habit as well as a big fan of repetition, of always doing 'x' a certain way ALL the time.

If I go out into the world w/the 26, I'd prefer to have one in the chamber on top of a full mag. But, to switch back and forth means (a) remembering to do so, (b) fiddling with the gun not always under the most attentive of circumstances, (c) not having that instinctive/habit-based awareness of yes it is/not it isn't in an emergent circumstance.

I need to PICK ONE method and stick with it. Being a circa 2010/2011 G26 means I don't have to add external safeties, stupid extra locks, whatever, into the mental 'go-to' equation. I like the idea of having that small margin of error against stupidity that an empty chamber can provide in certain circumstances........ yet, there's still the down side of added reaction/response time with having to wrack the slide first in an emergent situation.

Shart........ I dunno........... I still can't decide. But I really do need to PICK something, pick ONE way or the other, and stick with it.

Keep the gun pointed down until you are ready to shoot somebody could be a good compromise.

wjv
11-09-2011, 17:43
I carry a revolver. . . 5 in the chamber. . .

eb31
11-09-2011, 18:21

2. see 1.

How I view somone else has nothing to do with how I view myself. But nice try jr.;)

eb31
11-09-2011, 18:24
I never understood carrying on an empty chamber, if a person is that scared of it maybe they shouldn't even carry a gun:supergrin:

I couldn't agree more. Anyone that afraid of carrying C1 shouldn't be carrying at all. I see them as more of a danger than most criminals. Nobody wants a nervous person with a gun around them, atleast I don't.

A6Gator
11-09-2011, 19:10
I would need serious medical attention but at least I got two shots off

I'm thinking I'd be on the second magazine...Just trying to stop the threat...:supergrin:

Lone Wolf8634
11-09-2011, 19:15
This just reinforces the fact that i need to practice more

Mayhem like Me
11-09-2011, 19:17
How I view somone else has nothing to do with how I view myself. But nice try jr.;)

just letting you know what I think son, and what worth your opinion has....

JackMac
11-09-2011, 19:24
My knife is always on me and always loaded. My 26 is chambered and ready to go if needed. Practice, practice, practice ( with an unloaded weapon of course) My brother and I practiced knife, hatchet, and axe throwing as teenagers. I was never really good with it, but he was really good and could nail a 12 inch log at 20 paces! I sometimes wonder if he can still do that.

Master_Blaster1911
11-09-2011, 21:37
Here is what happens when people carry guns and never stress train to deploy them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9igSoJHEdUo (a classic with Dan Inosanto but still relevant today)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL1zX-SrBH0 (crazy man with a knife takes out 3 cops)

The second video shows how hard it was for these dumbasses to stop an attacker with a rifle held off hand. Next time walk up and hand his an engraved invitation to kill ya. This is more a video on poor training and tactics and skill will kill ya almost everytime and less on how deadly a man with a knife is. They've always been deadly. How different would had been if the first man had the rifle shouldered and pointed at the ****** when he began his attack? Lots. If the rifle didn't drop him a good butt stroke to the chin would have.

TKOFaith
11-10-2011, 11:11
Some of you see a hot chick.

Some of you see Sarah Jessica Parker on a better body.

This is what I see

http://blog.rifftrax.com/wp-content/photos/LadyElaine.jpg

Ok....that's just a little bit creepy.:tease:

HK Dan
11-10-2011, 11:19
My opinion:

2. See 1.

Through my many interactions with them on the range, at matches, and over dinners they are NOT idiots. They are well trained and if they display a level of confidence that makes you uncomfortable I suggest that it's your problem, not theirs.

I've shot with Mel (Lima) several times; she is very good and will take just about anything and want more. You Sir, are the idiot.

quadraceryfz450
11-10-2011, 11:31
Why you should carry with 1 in the chamber

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syxrpLbaEuY&feature=channel_video_title

Not every one is created equal. Bad example of carry in condition 3. Let me show you a better example of why it is possible to carry in condition 3 and be effective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUd2FzZm70w

rcbif
11-10-2011, 11:53
A video of a real example

http://www.ignatius-piazza-front-sight.com/2011/04/04/front-sights-monday-blog-why-you-carry-a-loaded-gun/

Though the guy in this vid could have had a jam, it does look like he was trying slingshot the slid from the get-go.

GlockOnBoard
11-11-2011, 21:00
Always carry loaded. If you don't feel comfortable carrying a loaded firearm then you shouldn't be carrying one in the first place.

ironmike86
11-11-2011, 22:09
Action beats reaction. Most people carrying a gun know too little about using it in self-defense to realize that is a factor. At the range, you are the actor, but in self-defense, you are reacting. Big difference. At 4 times that distance, you'd do well to draw and fire 1 shot against an unexpected attacker (remember, she is expecting it). With no round chambered, you'd be unlikely to beat somebody across the street.

DO NOT take my word for it. We used to practice this in the hallway of the police department with rulers. Try it at home and see how far away you have to be before a person with a gun can beat you with a knife, where you are the "actor." Then factor in another 10-15 feet for the fact that you aren't expecting it out on the street. I've seen a case where the guy with the knife made it well past the "21 foot" line with 8 real bullets in him (6 10mm and 2 .40 S&W), including 2 to the head.
Yup I've see all kinds of test that averaged 21feet is what is needed to safetly get a shot without injury. Carrying in Codition one. That's actually pretty far concidering....

kirgi08
11-11-2011, 22:12
I carry 6 or 5 in the chamber.
:tongueout:

Kat does also,she doesn't have a chain gun though :crying:

My opinion:

1. Through many interactions with Limatunes (and her husband) on another forum, they are both idiots. They have dellussions that they are like Mr. and Mrs. Smith ...the movie. Ridiculous and sad.

2. See 1.

Cite?

2. see 1.

Kinda obvious,ain't it. :dunno:

H&K 4 LIFE
11-12-2011, 07:25
Consider that handgun rounds typically do not cause instant incapacitation of an attacker, and that adrenalin alone can keep someone fighting even with mortal injuries.

Also consider that shooting/killing your attacker while getting yourself sliced and diced in the process by a thug with a flee-market grab bag special qualifies as you losing the fight... not winning it.

Taking this into account, she lost both times (chambered and unchambered), so it's hard to see where there is any clear disadvantage to empty chamber carry being demonstrated within the video.

In fact, the video better illustrates the foolishness of instantly going for your gun when confronted with an edged weapon at close distance.

mike28w
11-12-2011, 07:45
Through my many interactions with them on the range, at matches, and over dinners they are NOT idiots. They are well trained and if they display a level of confidence that makes you uncomfortable I suggest that it's your problem, not theirs.

I've shot with Mel (Lima) several times; she is very good and will take just about anything and want more. You Sir, are the idiot.

I suspect that HKDan is more correct..... although I only know Limatunes through her videos...... She has good videos. She should consider working as an instructor. JMO....mike