Getting ready to carry here in WI- Questions/opinions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready to carry here in WI- Questions/opinions

huggytree
11-09-2011, 13:13
Ive been a gun owner for 20+ years now and have wanted a carry permit for 20+ years...finally the day is almost here

i just bought a G27 this week and decided to carry OWB with a loose tee shirt....the gun will print somewhat

i am of the opinion that i prefer it shows a bit. I notice from most posts that 99% of you prefer it to be completely hidden...

my question is WHY???

i prefer it is clear i have a gun to anyone looking (those not looking probably wont notice)

I do not like Condition 1 w/ IWB...that is the 2nd reason i will be carrying OWB

the holster i chose is a Bianchi Black Widow...extremely satisfied with it...

cowboy1964
11-09-2011, 13:22
Personally I think concealed means concealed. No one needs to know.

Bren
11-09-2011, 13:35
Why? Because there is no advantage to people knowing I have a gun, unless I'm trying to look cool, but there is certainly a disadvantage, ranging from social reactions to having criminals spot it in advance.

NavyMSU
i am of the opinion that i prefer it shows a bit. I notice from most posts that 99% of you prefer it to be completely hidden...

my question is WHY???

Because
A) if a non-2nd amendment ****** sees your gun they'll call 911 and say they saw a strange man with a gun at the mall, or something alarmist like that.

B) if an LEO sees you printing, he will 99.999% of the time stop you and verify you have your license. Considering its a new law in Whisky, I'd say 100% of the time. The time it takes to be questioned will slow you down significantly and you'll get fed up and look to stop printing so much.

C) post 9/11 people are more sensitive, and they don't have to be a 'non-2nd Adm ******' to raise concern.

It's the same for open carry, lots of hassles.

My question to you: Why advertise? A badguy who is also carrying would just know to approach you from behind, or pick your 'pocket', and not only would he get your money, he'd get a new gun too!

You can draw immediate attention to an unarmed pickpocket, but if somebody takes your gun from you, it's best to just let them so you don't get shot with your own bullets!

Lastly, it's just like wearing those stupid 'safari'/fishing/shooting vests in public: I once heard them described as "shoot me first" vests! Those guys stand out like a sore thumb everywhere I go!

edthecat
Well, I'm a fellow Wisconsin-ite who has been mostly lurking around these forums since the last unsuccessful attempt at passing CCW in Wisco, several years ago. I am waiting on my permit to show up in the mail any day...That aside, I can give you a simple answer. You will be obtaining a permit to carry a CONCEALED weapon. As a CCWer, the last thing in the world you want to give up is the ability to surprise your assailant. Every single street thug/mugger/a-hole/rapist you will ever have the chance to run into, will see your poorly concealed weapon. They know. This is what they do. Additionally, you don't want to cause worry or concern amongst the sheeple. I'm in Madison, and do you have any idea how they treat open carriers here? They damn near call out S.W.A.T. over each incident, and then proceed to ticket you for disturbing the peace...even though open carry is legal here. Granted, that may change with the implementation of concealed carry, but who cares? You are being given the opportunity to excercise your God given right to defend yourself, why put yourself at risk of being "made" by the general public and causing a stir when it just isn't necessary. If you feel so inclined to let the world know that you are carrying a gun, open carry it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx_YUO4SzcY Just my two coppers.

Nakanokalronin
11-09-2011, 13:41
Concealed is better so nobody knows your carrying, including any BGs. I've also noticed over at the ARFCOM HTF that "no weapons" signs are being posting like a plague all over the place so its even more important to remain anonymous.

huggytree
11-09-2011, 13:50
. I'm in Madison,

what is the purpose of a CCW in Madison????

where will you carry it?

are there any businesses there that will allow it?

havent seen any no-carry signs up yet here in Waukesha CO

tuica
11-09-2011, 13:51
Why invite the (wrong kind) of undue attention. Unless you want to deal with all of the fallout that will come your way. Good Luck.

huggytree
11-09-2011, 14:37
Why invite the (wrong kind) of undue attention. Unless you want to deal with all of the fallout that will come your way. Good Luck.

no i dont want to deal with the fallout

i dont think most people will notice....if your looking for it you will see it though....im going to try it for a while and see what happens...i really find the OWB much more comfortable and dont like condition 1 w/ IWB

thanks for the opinions!!!

NavyMSU
11-09-2011, 14:41
i really find the OWB much more comfortable and dont like condition 1 w/ IWB

It's not your choice of OWB or IWB or Cond 1 that's a concern, it's that you didn't see a problem with people knowing you are carrying.

It's not advisable to intentionally 'dress to impress', just get some loose fitting button up shirts designed to be worn untucked, don't go with the tshirt option.

SpringerTGO
11-09-2011, 14:50
no i dont want to deal with the fallout

i dont think most people will notice....if your looking for it you will see it though....im going to try it for a while and see what happens...i really find the OWB much more comfortable and dont like condition 1 w/ IWB

thanks for the opinions!!!

You asked for answers as to why you should conceal properly, and got them. What was the point since you already made up your mind?

pipedreams
11-09-2011, 14:52
With the proper holster condition 1 should make no difference IWB or OWB.

IndyGunFreak
11-09-2011, 15:11
Ive been a gun owner for 20+ years now and have wanted a carry permit for 20+ years...finally the day is almost here

i just bought a G27 this week and decided to carry OWB with a loose tee shirt....the gun will print somewhat

my question is WHY???

i prefer it is clear i have a gun to anyone looking (those not looking probably wont notice)

I do not like Condition 1 w/ IWB...that is the 2nd reason i will be carrying OWB

the holster i chose is a Bianchi Black Widow...extremely satisfied with it...

Why do you want it to "show just a bit"... if thats the case, Open Carry, and it will show a lot.

Glotin
11-09-2011, 15:17
i dont think most people will notice....if your looking for it you will see it though...

Probably... and the only people looking for it will be criminals, peace officers and possibly fellow CCWers.

So what's the point? What do you stand to gain?

huggytree
11-09-2011, 16:47
Probably... and the only people looking for it will be criminals, peace officers and possibly fellow CCWers.

So what's the point? What do you stand to gain?

im not intentionally trying to show....its just the result of HOW i want to carry.........

its more like...if it happens to show its a deterrent to the bad guy to pick on someone else.....

as far as condition 1 IWB = i dont like a loaded gun pointing at my junk...whether its emotional or not...i dont like it...i like the OWB at 4oclock

up1911fan
11-09-2011, 16:51
im not intentionally trying to show....its just the result of HOW i want to carry.........

its more like...if it happens to show its a deterrent to the bad guy to pick on someone else.....

as far as condition 1 IWB = i dont like a loaded gun pointing at my junk...whether its emotional or not...i dont like it...i like the OWB at 4oclock

You've got the wrong attitude, if you want to carry OWB than dress around the gun. Concealed mean's concealed. Too many people faught for too long to get the bill passed in WI. Be responsible about carrying. Keep it concealed.

mj9mm
11-09-2011, 16:52
Also from WI, printing is not a legal issue here, but as you can see here it's pretty much a consensus. Going about your daily buisiness will be alot easier without drawing undue attention to yourself :cool:. keep it concealed

SpringerTGO
11-09-2011, 17:20
So Californians just lost the right to open carry, no doubt in part because of open carriers pushing the envelope, confronting the public and police, and video taping their exploits.

Now Wisconsin has passed (after another failed attempt) a CCW bill, and we are already reading about carrying weapons in such a manner that anyone looking will know they are carrying. Are you going to video tape the confrontations you are bound to cause?

Congratulations Wisconsin CCW'rs. You got your bill passed. Let's hope what is no doubt a small percent of the CCW community doesn't blow it for you.

Nakanokalronin
11-09-2011, 17:43
IWB or OWB in condition 1 does not matter as long as its a good holster. If you have a gun pointed at your "junk" IWB then your doing something wrong.

In any case, the point was about printing. I think there is a thread here about some guy open carrying, a badguy saw the gun,took it right out of his holster and ran. Having someone know your carrying is not a deterrent, it just makes you a target. The type of hassles that come along with being a target depends on who sees it.

huggytree
11-09-2011, 18:13
IWB or OWB in condition 1 does not matter as long as its a good holster. If you have a gun pointed at your "junk" IWB then your doing something wrong.

i have not played around much with a IWB holster...i have one for another gun.....the most concealed spot was at 1 oclock...pointing right at my jones....i have a IWB holster coming for my G27 and will see how it fits at 4 oclock....

anyone carry an extra clip?

NavyMSU
11-09-2011, 18:40

Based on you calling a magazine a 'clip' I would pull your CCW immediately, you're obviously a clueless gun owner!

xmanhockey7
11-09-2011, 19:14
WI is an open carry state so if you want you could open carry. The talk about 911 being called and stuff is unlikely. Go here to talk to people who actually OC in WI. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?133-Wisconsin

Lockback
11-09-2011, 19:51

I simply could not disagree with you more. Others above me here in this thread have given good reasons but let me repeat the most important one to me: A concealed gun should be CONCEALED.
Why would anybody want to advertise they're carrying a gun? What is gained by it? Some kind of imagined deterrent? All it does is make "regular people" uncomfortable.
Keep it hidden. WELL hidden. There is no reason to advertise. This is not about ego. It's about having a tool just in case, God forbid, you need it.

vista461
11-09-2011, 22:59
i have not played around much with a IWB holster...i have one for another gun.....the most concealed spot was at 1 oclock...pointing right at my jones....i have a IWB holster coming for my G27 and will see how it fits at 4 oclock....

Then you need a different IWB holster. I can conceal a fullsize 4003 and M&P IWB fairly easily at 3:30 with my Theis holster and Safariland respectively.

NavyMSU
11-09-2011, 23:05
I can conceal a fullsize 4003 and M&P IWB fairly easily at 3:30 with my Theis holster and Safariland respectively.

Safariland? Is that a gunbelt or one of those "shoot me first vests" that are beyond obvious and look absolutely ridiculous?

vista461
11-09-2011, 23:42
Safariland? Is that a gunbelt or one of those "shoot me first vests" that are beyond obvious and look absolutely ridiculous?

Have you seriously never heard of Safariland?:wow: :rofl:
http://safariland.com/

This being the safariland holster I have for my M&P. Model 18 IWB

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/vista461/2011-11-02_15-55-27_327.jpg

NavyMSU
11-10-2011, 00:22
Have you seriously never heard of Safariland?:wow: :rofl:
http://safariland.com/

This being the safariland holster I have for my M&P. Model 18 IWB

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/vista461/2011-11-02_15-55-27_327.jpg

Oh thank god, your manly-meter just returned to normal!

I have a very simple Brazilian leather no-name holster that is comfortable and works iwb, owb and in front loose jeans pocket with the clip in the little change pocket.

Additionally, those vests are also known as 'safari vests', hence the assumption!

Bren
11-10-2011, 05:53

No, it's one of the biggest and oldest police/CCW/competition/hunting/etc., leather and holster companies in the business.

Basically, it's like you just said, "what's Smith & Wesson." Newb.:rofl:

EAJuggalo
11-10-2011, 08:23
To be fair, I didn't know Safariland made IWB holsters. The only experience I have with them is Duty Holsters.

for the OP, For the foreseeable future there will be those that have no idea what is legal and what is not in WI. Some will call the police anytime they see someone with a handgun they don't know for a fact is LE. Even well concealed handguns will show or become visible from time to time, there is no reason to expand the times it will be noticed. That just increases your chances for a bad experience whether it is from LE or the criminal element.

NavyMSU
11-10-2011, 09:44
Basically, it's like you just said, "what's Smith & Wesson." Newb.:rofl:

Been around/owned guns my entire life. Carried a Beretta M9 on my hip in the Navy. My local gun/sporting goods stores don't carry this brand.

Take your 'newb' and shove it up your ass.

zbusdriver
11-10-2011, 09:56
Take your 'newb' and shove it up your a**.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

take it easy big boy!

NavyMSU
11-10-2011, 12:42
take it easy big boy!

Come on, comparing not knowing of a primarily LE brand to not knowing S&W?! That's deeply insulting.

FatPants
11-10-2011, 16:07
Come on, comparing not knowing of a primarily LE brand to not knowing S&W?! That's deeply insulting.

...but your comment about his "tactical belt" or "shoot me first vest" wasnt?

Safariland makes great stuff.

NavyMSU
11-10-2011, 16:30
...but your comment about his "tactical belt" or "shoot me first vest" wasnt?

Safariland makes great stuff.

A) Vista, not Bren, was the poster I commented regarding Safariland.

B) I never said they didn't make good products, just that it's not a 'newb' characteristic that I am not LE and not some over the top firearms fanatic and never heard of a singular brand. He did call out 'holster' for the other holster mentioned, but not for Safariland.

C) tactical/gun belt, was a real question, since he didn't mention 'holster' my intent was to ask if it was a different accessory.

D) yeah, Bren is probably 80 lbs overweight and wears a khaki 'shoot me first' vest every time he carries, spends all his pocket change on guns and range time and has a superiority complex over those not as intimately knowledgeable regarding firearm related fashion accessories, has a goatee/chin beard, wears yellow/amber shooting/aviator glasses all the time and his personal hero is Walter Sobchak from The Big Lebowski. So I could understand that Bren was insulted and wanted to try and belittle me within his limited capacity to ridicule.

Glotin
11-10-2011, 20:03
Lastly, it's just like wearing those stupid 'safari'/fishing/shooting vests in public: I once heard them described as "shoot me first" vests! Those guys stand out like a sore thumb everywhere I go!

Based on you calling a magazine a 'clip' I would pull your CCW immediately, you're obviously a clueless gun owner!

D) yeah, Bren is probably 80 lbs overweight and wears a khaki 'shoot me first' vest every time he carries, spends all his pocket change on guns and range time and has a superiority complex over those not as intimately knowledgeable regarding firearm related fashion accessories, has a goatee/chin beard, wears yellow/amber shooting/aviator glasses all the time and his personal hero is Walter Sobchak from The Big Lebowski. So I could understand that Bren was insulted and wanted to try and belittle me within his limited capacity to ridicule.

:upeyes: Where does the Navy get its reputation from?

NavyMSU
11-10-2011, 20:32
:upeyes: Where does the Navy get its reputation from?

Beg your pardon? What reputation?

As far as my comments: You added up several different ones out of context? Good for you, your short term memory is better than most.

Most everybody on this site knows to properly conceal and knows a magazine is what you load ammo into. That guy is a yahoo, my money is we read about him and an AD within a year.

My comment about the vest stands true, walk into any range... The guys who wear them are usually the wannabe hardasses with a chip on their shoulder.

Ive already noted the belt question was legit.

My comment about Bren has yet to be proven false... Somebody who likes to belittle by calling somebody a newb? I did not admit to having no clue what I'm doing like the OP did, I just didn't know a brand.

Bruce M
11-11-2011, 08:02
Why? Because there is no advantage to people knowing I have a gun, unless I'm trying to look cool, but there is certainly a disadvantage, ranging from social reactions to having criminals spot it in advance.

:goodpost:

A) ...

You're 50% correct - someone has a (very) limited capacity. Having read posts from both I remain convinced it is not Bren.

NavyMSU
11-11-2011, 13:40
You're 50% correct - someone has a (very) limited capacity. Having read posts from both I remain convinced it is not Bren.
Very limited? Come on, I made a great Big Lebowski reference. As well, you have to admit those vests are rediculous!

As to good advice, I said the same thing before he posted, all he did was paraphrase my concerns with the OP's comments.

Riz58
11-11-2011, 16:46
MEANWHILE, back to the OP's question:

May I suggest a quiet bit of introspection of your motives and attitude toward carrying? It seems that you wish to be sending some sort of message via the apparent deliberate printing.

I regret that the concerns of this present world led me to the conclusion that I needed to carry a firearm. Having done so, I have studied hard, trained hard, and am willing to defend myself and others as may be required by the circumstances.

With that in mind, I carry concealed because I do not want to unnecessarily alarm the less "informed" around me. I want to be a good ambassador for the 2nd amendment, and I don't believe that is accomplished by scaring soccer moms even if there is no real basis for their alarm.

I too like to carry OWB. Accordingly, I have altered my style of dress to dress around the gun. It is not hard and allows me to have the capacity to defend myself without raising an eyebrow. Further, if I am going to strike, I want the other guy to be surprised because I am probably in a reactive state when the incident arises. If the bad guy can see my firearm printing, act one on his part will be to eliminate that threat.

If you want to open carry, open carry. Don't do this half-way thing. My state allows open carry, and I have some friends who do so from time to time. None of my casual friends know I carry, probably would not suspect that I would, and I like it that way. But, each of us has to consider the options and decide accordingly.

HKLovingIT
11-11-2011, 20:02
I carry OWB quite often however I pay very close attention to cover garments and printing. The public in general has an aversion to people with firearms who are not also carrying a badge. It is what it is.

There are people walking the streets crazy enough or drugged up enough to attempt a gun grab from a uniformed officer. They certainly would not hesitate to do the same to me. There are criminals that will rob you specifically to get your gun. I would like to remain as inconspicuously gray as possible. It's a better strategy for me as a civilian in all respects. That is my opinion. YMMV and you may find something is better for you.

Stevekozak
11-12-2011, 18:08
Fail.

Stevekozak
11-12-2011, 18:10
Double fail.

Stevekozak
11-12-2011, 18:15
Been around/owned guns my entire life. Carried a Beretta M9 on my hip in the Navy. My local gun/sporting goods stores don't carry this brand.

Wow. No end of fail. Navy? Really?

Stevekozak
11-12-2011, 18:18
To the OP though, a lot of reasons not to be casual about your concealment. Most of them laid out by other posters. No need to draw undue attention, element of suprise, etc. It is easy to dress around an OWB. I often carry OWB with a Glock 19. Get the right holster that pulls butt in tight, and you will be fine.

Vartarg
11-12-2011, 18:44
For me, it's all about TACTICAL ADVANTAGE....that is, if folks good or bad don't know that I'm armed, I'm in a better position to decide if and when to become involved. And if I DO become involved, I have the advantage of surprise on my side, and I'll take every bit of advantage I can find or steal.

Plus, there are folks out there who, if they know you have a gun, will try to take it away from you. Why expose yourself to that?

Carrying so people may notice is a dumb idea,IMHO....YMMV.