is a church w/ a school attatched still a school on Sat/Sun? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : is a church w/ a school attatched still a school on Sat/Sun?

huggytree
11-09-2011, 12:40
my church has a school attached, so i know guns are a big no no on weekday school grounds

is it still a school when i go to church on the weekends?
(i think i already know the answer, but just checking)

Sam Spade
11-09-2011, 14:08
my church has a school attached, so i know guns are a big no no on weekday school grounds

is it still a school when i go to church on the weekends?
(i think i already know the answer, but just checking)

In what state?

IndyGunFreak
11-09-2011, 14:14
slippery slope...

ncglock19
11-09-2011, 14:19
Ask the Pastor directly. I know of some churches that allow certain people to carry as long as they get training yearly.

nc19

huggytree
11-09-2011, 15:39
its here in WI...but this should be a national issue since the 'gun free school zones' is a Federal law

most Catholic churches here are NOT supposed to allow carry from what ive heard....i havent seen it posted yet...the priest is a hunter and has animal heads on the wall

G29SF
11-09-2011, 16:04
its here in WI...but this should be a national issue since the 'gun free school zones' is a Federal law

most Catholic churches here are NOT supposed to allow carry from what ive heard....i havent seen it posted yet...the priest is a hunter and has animal heads on the wall

Don't know the specifics but...

I believe the Gun-Free-School-Zone is 1000' and does not matter if school is in session or not.

I also believe that if you have a CCW permit FROM THE STATE THAT THE SCHOOL IS LOCATED, you are allowed to carry in that 1000' zone... but not IN the school. Not sure, but at that point, the State laws probably kick in.

So... the real question still remains... is the "church" a "school" or is it two different things that just happen to be attached? Back to reading the specific state and federal laws I guess...

BailRecoveryAgent
11-09-2011, 16:40
I would not carry there until receiving written clarification from the WI attorney general. Ymmv...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

redbaron007
11-10-2011, 09:08
A lot of states address this with their CCW regulations. In MO, it is prohibited even with a CCW; however, it isn't a criminal offense if caught doing so. They just ask you to leave, if you don't, then that's when the problems start. When you read the GFSZ, if there is no state regulation on it it, then the federal regs kick in. Here is the link (http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5710000107.HTM)for MO.....you need to check what your state's regs say.

:wavey:

red

failsafe
11-10-2011, 09:14
Well here in Missouri, RSMO 571,concerning places prohibited to carry, has the following concerning schools..
(10) Any higher education institution or elementary or secondary school facility without the consent of the governing body of the higher education institution or a school official or the district school board. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of any higher education institution or elementary or secondary school facility shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises;

Also, concerning carrying in Church..
(14) Any church or other place of religious worship without the consent of the minister or person or persons representing the religious organization that exercises control over the place of religious worship. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises;

See the entire chapter..
http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/chapters/chap571.htm

NC Bullseye
11-10-2011, 10:34
I know here in NC there is no excluded time. It's educational property 24/7/365.

Doesn't matter if it's 2:00AM or Christmas day, it's still educational property and off limits as such in the state statutes.

PAGunner
11-10-2011, 11:55
Someone should challenge the federal law restricting people from carrying 1,000 feet from a school... I'd bet there are few of us who haven't unintentionally "broken" this law. Ever drive by a school? What if you live next to a school or within 1,000 feet? That's 3 football fields, plenty of Americans live within 1,000 feet of a school? Does this mean their 2nd amendment constitutional right is denied???

Gotta love our quirky pig-headed idiot politicians who write some of these ridiculous laws!

failsafe
11-10-2011, 12:46
Someone should challenge the federal law restricting people from carrying 1,000 feet from a school... I'd bet there are few of us who haven't unintentionally "broken" this law. Ever drive by a school? What if you live next to a school or within 1,000 feet? That's 3 football fields, plenty of Americans live within 1,000 feet of a school? Does this mean their 2nd amendment constitutional right is denied???

Gotta love our quirky pig-headed idiot politicians who write some of these ridiculous laws!

Just my $.02 and ther is case law to support it..

(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearmó

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

Read the entire..Yes it's WIKI, but it seems accurate..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_School_Zones_Act_of_1990

kirgi08
11-10-2011, 16:17
I'd rather not take the risk.'08.

Mayhem like Me
11-10-2011, 18:27
gun free school zones are state by state last time I checked the Fed statute was non Con...

Gunnut 45/454
11-11-2011, 12:39
swatbwana
Your exactly right the Federal law was found Unconstitutional- cause as written it made anyone who lived with 1000' a felon for possesing a firearm! Even in there own homes! Though the Feds will still bust you when they can under this law! Discharge a firearm within this 1000' cordon and they will add the extra time on to your prison sentence! Min. uses this law to basically prevent anyone from OC in there major cities! Yet it has prevented not one criminal act in a school zone! :faint: Just another feel good law that doesn't work! :faint:

rvrctyrngr
11-11-2011, 13:37
swatbwana
Your exactly right the Federal law was found Unconstitutional- cause as written it made anyone who lived with 1000' a felon for possesing a firearm! Even in there own homes! Though the Feds will still bust you when they can under this law! Discharge a firearm within this 1000' cordon and they will add the extra time on to your prison sentence! Min. uses this law to basically prevent anyone from OC in there major cities! Yet it has prevented not one criminal act in a school zone! :faint: Just another feel good law that doesn't work! :faint:

The original GFSZ law was declared unconstitutional. It was re-written with private property exceptions and signed into law again. It is still in effect.

huggytree
11-11-2011, 14:26
i will reread the law and write to the WI DOJ for a definition....i feel its a grey area

maybe i can in the church 1/2 of the building and not in the school 1/2

im surprised i didnt get any neg feedback about carrying in church...looks like we all think alike.....my wife is very unhappy that i would consider carrying in Church.

huggytree
11-12-2011, 06:51
just reread the WI CCW Law....its very specific

948.605 firearms on school grounds. No licesnsee may knowingly posses a firearm in or on the grounds of a school

so i cant even have it in my trunk or glove box

Gunnut 45/454
11-12-2011, 10:19
huggytree
How do they define a school? Is the school at the church an accredited school? Sunday schools are not usually seen as accredited- IE state funded schools! The church should be able to tell you this info.

Lior
11-12-2011, 10:59
A dead disarmed victim is a dead disarmed victim any day of the week. Be nice to everyone;carry religiously.

HarleyGuy
11-12-2011, 11:04
If you're not sure, don't carry there.

State laws vary.

In Michigan, parking lots are not considered part of the "premisis" of a "gun free" zone but I wouldn't advise removing your gun from your vehicle on school parking lot.

This law does not include federal facilities, OR employer parking facilities for employees.

Churches are allowed to make their own rules regarding carry and you must have the permission of the "presiding official" whoever that may be.

huggytree
11-12-2011, 11:22
huggytree
How do they define a school? Is the school at the church an accredited school? Sunday schools are not usually seen as accredited- IE state funded schools! The church should be able to tell you this info.

they dont define a school....that one sentence is all thats there