Ladies, need pistol recommendation for my daughter [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ladies, need pistol recommendation for my daughter

beforeobamabans
11-09-2011, 15:32
She is 24 and, living on her own for the past year, it has dawned on her that maybe her old man isn't crazy to be carrying a sidearm all the time. She has minimal experience, all of it with my Glocks, 17, 26 and 30SF. I was surprised that her favorite of these three was the .45 which she felt had less recoil than the 9's. I am open to suggestions other than Glock and also interested in learning how you ladies carry.

Fire away!

huggytree
11-09-2011, 15:43
my wife also prefers larger caliber guns...she says a .22 isnt fun

i really doubt many women can handle a .45...i wouldnt go that far

my wife likes the size of the g27....and i am considering getting her a g26 for Christmas for concealed carry

i personally think the g19 is perfect for women

Jason D
11-09-2011, 16:20

Barring hand injury or arthritis, a woman can handle just about anything.
That is provided they are trained and are not afraid of the recoil.

Any ladies I have taken shooting turned out to be recoil junkies.

The best a person can do in letting a woman pick out a firearm is to let them fire a variety of guns. Either rental guns or personally owned guns. An inexperienced but safe person should maybe stick to something that is easy to use. You could hardly go wrong with a good .357 magnum.

beforeobamabans
11-09-2011, 16:41

my wife likes the size of the g27....and i am considering getting her a g26 for Christmas for concealed carry

Have her shoot it first. My daughter did not like the 26 which surprised me. I think a lot of it had to do with the grip fitting her better on the .45. My priorities for her will be #1 fit, #2 capacity and #3 caliber. The 19 will definitely be in the picture.

Are the ladies carrying in a traditional belt mounted holster like the guys or in their purse or some other way?

dustbusterplus
11-09-2011, 17:17
While I am only in college, we went through this with my mom. My dad loves going to gun shows and got her holding several handguns. She really liked the S&W Bodyguard 380 with laser cuz the weight up front would help with recoil too. As it normally goes with these things, we went and shot it and we had some other guns with us too. She has issues with the racking a slide, but the trigger pull is even more of an issue. Surprisingly she really liked the Glock 19, that is until my dad brought out his Colt Defender 9mm. She loved shooting that, but she still had issues with racking the slide. As it turned out, she doesn't carry any of them, mainly due to not having a CHL. This is just my experience with my mom, so take it with a grain of salt.

Steve50
11-09-2011, 17:19
try the 147 grain bullet in the 9

xmanhockey7
11-09-2011, 18:16
Ruger LCR

mj9mm
11-09-2011, 18:27
is the idea to conceal, if so what size can she conceal, or how would she conceal, on her person, in a purse, maybe consider the options available:dunno:no differant than a man's questions in determining a proper weapon

Boot Stomper
11-09-2011, 19:03
Some guys always want to buy the women in their life small guns or pocket guns, but often the smaller guns are more difficult to shoot.

You stated your daughter likes Glock then stick with what she knows and likes. If she is comfortable with the 45 ACP then go with it.

I shot a S&W Bodyguard yesterday and I was not impressed with the accuracy. I realize it is a belly gun and it serves a purpose, but it is not for me.

After shooting the bodyguard I picked up my G22 and realized carrying a full sized gun or a Glock sized gun (such as a G27) is worth the added weight and difficulty of concealment. If I have to use it, I will be glad to have the bigger gun I can shoot well and have faith in.

Master_Blaster1911
11-09-2011, 20:44
She is 24 and, living on her own for the past year, it has dawned on her that maybe her old man isn't crazy to be carrying a sidearm all the time. She has minimal experience, all of it with my Glocks, 17, 26 and 30SF. I was surprised that her favorite of these three was the .45 which she felt had less recoil than the 9's. I am open to suggestions other than Glock and also interested in learning how you ladies carry.

Fire away!

Recoil is more about perception of acceleration than all else. If she prefers the .45 then the .45 is what she should shoot. Ignore people offering opinions that don't understand this simple fact.

The 30SF shoulds good work. Get her some more training. It will make both you and her feel far more confident.

Best of luck to you both.

ETA: My wife carries a gun in a hip purse (and only the gun), I created a method for her to carry in her regular purse- I used a cutting board cut to the right size to fit inside a thin zipper pocket inside the purse with a holster afixed through the side of the zipper pocket in the wider body of the purse. holding the gun in place at the proper orientation for best draw.

Like your daughter my wife prefers a .45 over the 9mm, so much for ladies can't handle a .45.

Deaf Smith
11-09-2011, 20:47
Get her a Tec-9 for around the house. It don't kick much and scares the bad guys a whole bunch.

And just to overawe them, double clip the magazines with jungle clips.

The bad guys won't know what to think.

Deaf

bambikilr
11-10-2011, 00:03
give her the one she likes...30

happyguy
11-10-2011, 00:36
While I am only in college, we went through this with my mom. My dad loves going to gun shows and got her holding several handguns. She really liked the S&W Bodyguard 380 with laser cuz the weight up front would help with recoil too. As it normally goes with these things, we went and shot it and we had some other guns with us too. She has issues with the racking a slide, but the trigger pull is even more of an issue. Surprisingly she really liked the Glock 19, that is until my dad brought out his Colt Defender 9mm. She loved shooting that, but she still had issues with racking the slide. As it turned out, she doesn't carry any of them, mainly due to not having a CHL. This is just my experience with my mom, so take it with a grain of salt.

I usually recommend an all steel snubby loaded with standard .38 Specials for the ladies that have difficulty with recoil and racking the slide. They can always upgrade to something else later after they gain some experience.

The snubbies are more difficult to shoot well through and how much practice it will take to become proficient with one is something to consider.

Definitely don't go with an Airweight for the recoil sensitive.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

engineer151515
11-10-2011, 02:05
Ruger LCR

second.

It is so damned convenient, she will have it when she needs it.

plus

pepper spray - for the drunks you can't just shoot.

plus

G-19 with Surefire attached light for the nightstand beside the bed.
Because you need to light up and identify before you pull the trigger.

<<< has a daughter.

EAJuggalo
11-10-2011, 07:32

You're talking in circles. If you're wife can handle the recoil of a 27 or even a 26 then the recoil of a 21 will be almost nothing. You're last line is moronic, every woman is different and so will be their weapon preferences. My wife likes my G17 of all the guns she's shot but really wants to try a heavy 9mm, she hated the S&W 380 she shot. My Mother in law is all about the 4" revolver in 38sp.

The key is get a group of people together will all different kinds of handguns and let her decide what it is she wants after firing them all. One of the biggest things I hear with guys selling almost new guns, especially pocket guns, is that they bought them for their wives, gf's, daughters and the women hated them.

ithaca_deerslayer
11-10-2011, 08:02

Fire away!

Sounds like the grip is important. Circumference and number of fingers that fit on it.

You need to take her shopping and let her hold a variety of handguns and pick the one she likes. Really that simple :)

Oh, also keep in mind the generation 4 glocks will feel different in the grip than the older models. Maybe she'll like a 26 G4, with the slimmer grip. Who knows.

SamRudolph
11-10-2011, 08:59
Let her pick.

Wake_jumper
11-10-2011, 09:03
... and then the next question, how to carry it?

ithaca_deerslayer
11-10-2011, 09:37
... and then the next question, how to carry it?

About the main difference my wife points out is that women's clothes tend not to have big pockets. Therefore a Glock 26 is not a pocket gun. Nor is a Ruger LCP.

Other than that, find a holster that's comfy, strap it to your waist, have a bulky layer of clothes, and go. And "comfy" depends on the individual, different shapes, likes, dislikes. So that is a personal search.

Purses, day planners, man bags, briefcases, backpacks, fanny packs, are all possible but less than ideal for keeping a gun secure on you at all times.

Psychman
11-10-2011, 11:17
SP 101 loaded with 38sp critical defense rounds. Simple to load and fire. It is always in a "safe" condition.

huggytree
11-10-2011, 11:35
I would shy away from all the new CCW mini guns

every one i tried had a extra long trigger pull and my wife couldnt pull the slide back on any of them....

thats why i bought my new g27...the trigger is normal and the slide pulls back normal...its slightly larger than a Kahr or the mini Ruger, but it works....

my vote is still for the G19 though...small enough for a purse yet large enough to hold in your hand and control....

SpringerTGO
11-10-2011, 14:26
Have her at least look at a S&W revolver with the shrouded hammer. They are easy to conceal and draw, and one other benefit of having the hammer shrouded is that it won't damage her purse or clothing. An airweight can be fine because she can use light 38's for practice and +P's for carry. The heavy trigger is an asset for carry, and should not be an issue for practice at practical practice ranges.

As to a woman not being able to handle a 45??? Was that meant as a joke? Seriously, 2 days ago my friends average size girlfriend was able to out shoot me with my own 45. A commander size one at that. She was putting 7 rounds in one hole at about 20'.

My ex was every bit as good a shot as me, and her preferred carry weapon was a S&W model 66 with a very nice trigger job, and a 2.5" barrel. In case you don't know, huggytree, that's a 357.

huggytree
11-10-2011, 15:35
As to a woman not being able to handle a 45??? Was that meant as a joke? Seriously, 2 days ago my friends average size girlfriend was able to out shoot me with my own 45. A commander size one at that. She was putting 7 rounds in one hole at about 20'.

so you think most women can handle a .45???? really???

just hand any woman a .45 and they will have no problems?

sure there are many who could, but ill bet most wouldnt

9mm is a great cartridge for women....

the women i know are 120-150 lbs....maybe the women you know are 200+????

im sure there are some women who like to shoot .50 Barrettes too

if the girl can handle a .45 i say go for it...my wife could, but i still think she'll end up with a 9mm for a carry gun (she's gonna choose)

SpringerTGO
11-10-2011, 16:11
so you think most women can handle a .45???? really???

just hand any woman a .45 and they will have no problems?

sure there are many who could, but ill bet most wouldnt

9mm is a great cartridge for women....

the women i know are 120-150 lbs....maybe the women you know are 200+????

im sure there are some women who like to shoot .50 Barrettes too

if the girl can handle a .45 i say go for it...my wife could, but i still think she'll end up with a 9mm for a carry gun (she's gonna choose)

It's a "Barrett" .50, but regardless. I know reading can be a little difficult through those manly eyes of yours, but I did say my friends average size girlfriend out shot me with my 45. I've seen lots of women shoot 357's and 45's extremely well. I've also seen plenty of women struggle with the physical size a double column magazine well causes..... like a G19/26. That's why some companies make handguns for women. Not because of caliber, but because of grip size. But I'm sure you knew that.

I can see where a 45 might appear intimidating to someone with your experience, but to an average female shooter it's not bad at all.

PS.... a Smith & Wesson Ladysmith with a 2" barrel in 357 Mag will certainly have more recoil than a 45. Maybe you should educate Smith & Wesson.

And while I am not a big fan of the company, Nighthawk makes a product called a Ladyhawk, which is a 1911 with thin grips for people with small hands, and like the name suggests, ladies. You might want to check one out yourself.

sp27
11-10-2011, 19:28
45 has less recoil than 40 as far as I'm concerned

Lord
11-10-2011, 21:08

Fire away!

I think a lot of people missed the part about "other than glock" so here's my suggestion. have a friend that carries a Walther PPK .380 She loves it and I shot it a few times at the range. Low recoil, feels good in the hand, not too heavy for purse carry, and all around very good choice for my friend... so...

Good luck. Of course you can always take her to a local gun store and let her "heft" a number of choices. Check to see if there are any places near you that let you "rent" guns for their range. We have that here and it's a huge help for this exact issue.

txgunguy
11-11-2011, 09:44
45 has less recoil than 40 as far as I'm concerned

I am a big 40 fan and have to agree with this.

If she really likes the G30 and shoots it well, you have answered your question.

HarleyGuy
11-11-2011, 10:11
THe best self defense weapon for ANYONE is the one that they will carry all (or most) the time.

I carry everywhere I can, everything from a .32, .40 or .45.

My wife has her CPL and has NEVER carried.
SHe has a S/W .357 w/3" barrel and a Sig .380.
She shoots both well but what's the point?

ratf51
11-11-2011, 10:32
I wouldn't rule out any given caliber of handgun on the basis of caliber. I am in the process of looking for a pistol for my soon to be 21 y.o. daughter. The next step in our process is for her to go shooting and see what she is comfortable with. I will have her pulling the trigger on the following calibers: .380 (S&W Bodyguard), 9mm (a full size CZ, a compact CZ, and possibly a G26), .40 S&W (G22 & G27), .45ACP (Combat Commander), and .38sp./.357 magnum (through my 686). I believe that out of this bunch we will be able to determine what level of recoil she can handle well to begin with. Knowing my daughter I am betting that the 9mm's will be the sweet spot. But I will not rule out the .45 or .40 without her having the chance to shoot them. I asked a similar question to this a few weeks back-- there were some very good, thoughtful responses. Here is the link (I hope it works.): http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1370043

BamaBud
11-11-2011, 10:54
The best advice might be from another woman:

http://corneredcat.com/Contents/

Foxtrotx1
11-11-2011, 11:05
Glock 26.

Riz58
11-11-2011, 11:13
With women (wife and daughter), I believe the question of "What will they carry?" is as important as what they can shoot. My wife and daughter can shoot my M&P in 40 and a .45 as well, but they will never carry them. My wife carried (and still does) a KelTec P3AT because it is easy to carry in her purse or coat pocket. She also stole my Kahr 9mm because she likes the big XS Big Dot sight on it. She has the .357 magnum her dad gave her in the nightstand and can shoot it well single action.

My daughter has a .38 snubby revolver, gets tired of the recoil after a while, and will carry in her purse if necessary, but uses it for a home defense gun. She stole my Keltec P3AT because it fits in her new "FlashBang" bra holster (clips or hangs off the center strap of the bra - she loves it).

Would I prefer they carry more than a .380 mouse gun? Yes, but that is what they are willing to carry, so I don't argue.

coclimber
11-11-2011, 13:00
I wouldn't rule out any given caliber of handgun on the basis of caliber. I am in the process of looking for a pistol for my soon to be 21 y.o. daughter. The next step in our process is for her to go shooting and see what she is comfortable with. I will have her pulling the trigger on the following calibers: .380 (S&W Bodyguard), 9mm (a full size CZ, a compact CZ, and possibly a G26), .40 S&W (G22 & G27), .45ACP (Combat Commander), and .38sp./.357 magnum (through my 686). I believe that out of this bunch we will be able to determine what level of recoil she can handle well to begin with. Knowing my daughter I am betting that the 9mm's will be the sweet spot. But I will not rule out the .45 or .40 without her having the chance to shoot them. I asked a similar question to this a few weeks back-- there were some very good, thoughtful responses. Here is the link (I hope it works.): http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1370043
I like this line of thought above...
My wife loves her Kahr MP9; it's my favorite small gun... easy to shoot and accurate... wear it in a shoulder holster very comfortably all day with an occasional shifting of a strap. A small S&W J-frame revolver +.38 is great, too.
My daughter is not interested... sigh.

BerettaGrl
11-11-2011, 15:57

Really????:rollingeyes:

Glock21sf-miami
11-11-2011, 16:31
LCP is very practical, reliable and with Critical Defense ammo is a good option for close quarters defense.
A ruger LCR or S&W 642 are great revolvers and .38 +p is adequate for SD.
I don't have a G26 but hear the people that carry them love them.
A G36 with 230 gr HSTs is an awesome package but it may be impractical for her to carry.

Gunnut 45/454
11-11-2011, 19:00
beforeobamabans
Best advice I can give you is take her to a well stocked gun shop and let her handle as many different guns as she can- shoot them if possible! She has to be the one to decide on what she will use. Get it and take her shooting alot!. This is what I did with the wife, I let her choose. Now she owns two guns a Bersa 380 and a Ruger SP101! Truth be told I carry the SP101 alot as in right now!:supergrin:

Toorop
11-15-2011, 03:19
Check out www.corneredcat.com and let her do the same. There are a lot of good articles there which can help you both out. The creator of the site is a female shooter who has a lot of experience in issues like this.

RussP
11-15-2011, 07:26
Over the uears here I've seen many threads on "What should I get my [insert appropriate female descriptor] to carry?" Many of them are for females who've never fired a handgun before. Best advice there is this:...The key is get a group of people together will all different kinds of handguns and let her decide what it is she wants after firing them all. One of the biggest things I hear with guys selling almost new guns, especially pocket guns, is that they bought them for their wives, gf's, daughters and the women hated them.and...beforeobamabans
Best advice I can give you is take her to a well stocked gun shop and let her handle as many different guns as she can- shoot them if possible! She has to be the one to decide on what she will use. Get it and take her shooting alot!. This is what I did with the wife, I let her choose...You may think you know best, but, as I learned when I bought a Kahr P9 for my wife. She couldn't rack the slide. She found her carry piece at a gun show after handling a bunch of handguns. She preferred the 2" snubbie revolver in .357. She likes the simplicity of the revolver. She likes the stopping power of the cartridge. That was an expensive lesson - for me. Oh, and as to shooting it...when she took her CHP class, she out shot most of the others in her class. She had not fired a handgun in over, well, we won't say how many decades, but...

maybe her old man isn't crazy to be carrying a sidearm all the time.
She has minimal experience, all of it with my Glocks, 17, 26 and 30SF.
her favorite of these three was the .45 which she felt had less recoil than the 9's.
I am open to suggestions other than Glock
Isn't crazy to carry, I'll agree with, but, Dad does have other... :rofl: j/k:tongueout:

Fact #1 - The lady, with minimal experience, prefers the .45. She feels it has less recoil. Hey, I agree with her. My G30 has a soft recoil, too.

Fact #2 - Someone mentioned grip size. The proper grip gives the shooter control of the pistol, doesn't it? That helps with felt recoil, doesn't it?

Fact #3 - Some of you addressed other firearm manufacturers, but with smaller handguns not close to the size and/or feel of the G30, and not in .45.

A range with a good assortment of rental guns, a well stocked gun store with knowledgeable staff, or more time shooting dad's pistol will help in the selection process.

Now, if she's sold on the G30, give her yours and get yourself a new pistol. Hey, your's is already broken in. She can start carrying it as soon as she gets comfortable.:supergrin:

Simpleman71
11-15-2011, 10:33
for home g17, for carry g19

Victoriagotagun
11-15-2011, 11:06
I agree with the other posters that said let her try out as many as she can and let her make the decision.

The Cornered Cat website is a good resource.

Wolf Spyder
11-15-2011, 18:02
She is 24...
She is living on her own for the past year...
She is open to carrying a handgun...
She has minimal experience, all of it with my Glocks, 17, 26 and 30SF.

Her favorite up to this point is the Glock 30SF

Well, when I begin with a new shooter, I start them out on the .22 semi-auto. Then after they master "Bugger Hook" control, (IE: Keep your finger off the trigger until your ready to shoot the target) and they have mastered using the sights to hit the target repeatedly. We move up to a larger caliber like the 9mm. If she has tried the Glock 17 & 26 and the Glock 30SF, I say she is ready to go and pick her own. Take her to a Range that offers rentals.

I really doubt many women can handle a .45...I wouldn't go that far

So you missed the part where she says she likes the .45 ACP Glock 30SF over the other two...?

Some guys always want to buy the women in their life small guns or pocket guns, but often the smaller guns are more difficult to shoot.

After shooting the bodyguard I picked up my G22 and realized carrying a full sized gun or a Glock sized gun (such as a G27) is worth the added weight and difficulty of concealment. If I have to use it, I will be glad to have the bigger gun I can shoot well and have faith in.

I get tired of seeing guys try to push women into those small pocket guns or into revolvers. STUPID.

My sister-in-law was going through all of this just a few months ago. She is short, with tiny hands. She is not very strong at all. Her father gave her a pocket .380 ACP as a gift. That thing was horible to shoot!! The felt recoil of those things is severe.

We bought her a Walther .22 and she learned trigger control and sight picture. We then had a Day-O-Fun where everyone brought over all their handguns. All the wives, girlfriends, and daughters were invited to shoot as much as they wanted. We found out that my sister-in-law can shoot my brother's 10mm Glock 20 better than he can. Granted she is not strong enough to hold it up long enough to empty the magazine, but she loves it. I also found out that she likes my textured Glock 20 more than his non-textured Glock 20.

Just a few weeks ago, she settled on a Springfield EMP in 9mm. She likes the M1911 platform, it fits very nicely in several of her concealed carry thingy's. She carries 2 spare magazines as well.

Recoil is more about perception of acceleration than all else. If she prefers the .45 then the .45 is what she should shoot. Ignore people offering opinions that don't understand this simple fact.

The 30SF should work good. Get her some more training. It will make both you and her feel far more confident.

Best of luck to you both.

Like your daughter my wife prefers a .45 over the 9mm, so much for ladies can't handle a .45.

I am happy when I hear women who shoot larger caliber firearms.

so you think most women can handle a .45? really? just hand any woman a .45 and they will have no problems? sure there are many who could, but ill bet most wouldn't. the women i know are 120-150 lbs....maybe the women you know are 200+????

You started out like an Idiot, but you ended with a great line; "She's gonna choose". By the way... what does weight have to do with it? My wife and both my daughter are under 120 lbs but they all enjoy my 10mm Glock 20.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/Wolf_Spyder/Img_3952Crop.jpg

Over the years here I've seen many threads on "What should I get my [insert appropriate female descriptor] to carry?" Many of them are for females who've never fired a handgun before.

Now, if she's sold on the G30, give her yours and get yourself a new pistol. Hey, your's is already broken in. She can start carrying it as soon as she gets comfortable.:supergrin:

That right there is the best advice I have read all day!!

LApm9
11-15-2011, 18:31
IMHO...

The felt recoil of a .45 M1911 is less than my 9mm PM9.

The felt recoil of a .357 Ruger Blackhawk is less than a S&W 686 in the same caliber, which is also less than the PM9.

I think that grip design, as well as weight, has a great deal to do with felt recoil. As our wrist structures are not identical, no one design can be considered "best".

I tell ladies that handguns are like shoes...ya gotta try them on and pick the one that feels right.

DannyII
11-19-2011, 06:16
Have you considered the oft-overlooked G36?

G19 size, .45 caliber and slim for carry.

Check out this thread here on Glocktalk: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1187057

Psychman
11-19-2011, 06:24
Wolf Spyder, It is ok to use a smaller font. We all have pretty good vision here.

usmc4641
11-19-2011, 06:36
30 sf

EAJuggalo
11-19-2011, 08:22
Best advice I've ever heard and a great reason to make friends with other shooters: Find a local gun board or group and get to know some people fairly well. Let them know that you want to set up a time for your wife, daughter, gf whatever to shoot a bunch of different handguns. You'd be surprised how many guys are more than willing to let you shoot theirs or even borrow them for the day. I posted on my local board about a couple guns my wife wanted to try and I had multiple offers in under an hour. If you shoot IDPA, USPSA or something similar ask them if the woman in your life can try shooting their guns after a match, almost all will say yes.

VanguardMP
11-22-2011, 14:26
There's some good advice spread throughout this thread. I agree you should take her to a range that rents handguns to pick out the one that feels the best to her, and let her shoot it to make sure.

Earlier this year I went through this with my oldest daughter. Had her shoot a G26, my Kahr PM9, and my Ruger LCP. She loved the Kahr, but we made the decision to go with the LCP for now. It's concealable and she shot it the next best behind the Kahr. Now when she gets a little older we'll find her something a little larger.

As for my wife she picked out a G26 and carried it for a few years until she decided she wanted a Kimber Ultra Carry II in .45 ACP. She shoots it very well and carries it all the time. She also has a Ruger LCP. She will carry it in different ways, mostly in her purse. She does have a belt holster, an ankle holster, a Kangaroo holster, and a belly band. I have witnessed her carrying her G26 in a very sleek, black, formal dress at a formal function. That website "corneredcat" is a good source of information. There are some very knowledgeable women on the forum who will gladly give some advice on how to carry.

VMP

ithaca_deerslayer
11-22-2011, 14:49
Earlier this year I went through this with my oldest daughter. Had her shoot a G26, my Kahr PM9, and my Ruger LCP. She loved the Kahr, but we made the decision to go with the LCP for now. It's concealable and she shot it the next best behind the Kahr. Now when she gets a little older we'll find her something a little larger.

I don't understand, why didn't you get the Kahr PM9 that she liked the most?

hawgrider
11-22-2011, 15:22
How about a Ruger SR9C or SR40C - nice piece. There are lots that like the XD9sc or XD40sc or the XDm. That is if she doesn't want a Glock.

VanguardMP
11-22-2011, 17:58
I don't understand, why didn't you get the Kahr PM9 that she liked the most?

My daughter is 5'6", 115 lbs. She would not be able to conceal the G26 or Kahr well once she gets her CHL. Women's' clothes styles now a days don't facilitate carrying on the body well. I also could not find a Kahr CM9 and didn't have the funds to purchase a PM9 at the time. I'm sure over the next year I'll be able to pick up a CM9 or CW9 for her.

VMP

VanguardMP
11-23-2011, 07:33
After perusing some forums this morning I remembered a lady who has posted some youtube videos of how she carries concealed. Go to youtube and search for limalife. She has some very instructional videos for women carrying concealed. She's also been on defensivecarry forum. Good reference and I'm sure if you messaged her she would be glad to provide some suggestions.

There was also another young lady I saw recently who had some good tips for concealed carry for women, but I can't remember who she was. She's also on youtube. Hope it helps your daughter and possibly your wife. Take care.

VMP

svjackson
11-30-2011, 21:58
My wife loves her S&W 3913. It's a single stack 9mm that has very little recoil (for a 9mm). it's a natural shooter and does not punish the hands at all. The 3913 frame is used for the Ladysmth but without the pretty stuff done to it. I recommend she try one.

Teej
12-04-2011, 09:19

Fire away!

If you are talking about strictly a house gun, I'd say the G19 or G17 with 147grn rounds. For CCW then you are going to have to go with a compact.

I know many women carry in a purse, but my view is that if carrying, the weapon is more secure carried on the body.

I do suggest that you pay for and take her to a very good course or two. Get her very used to her weapon and make periodic shooting dates with your daughter...

Glenn E. Meyer
12-04-2011, 09:47
Corneredcat.com and then a good course oriented towards females. Better path than random suggestions from guys. Vicki Farnam gives a great presentation on the silliness of men suggesting this or that.

Why doesn't my wife or daughter like a full sized 1911? I do!

Haha.

Misty02
12-04-2011, 10:20
After extensive research I ended up with a G19. I did the research, I did the testing and I did the selection. You can help, provide guidance and help her develop a good list of firearms to test, but the final selection needs to be hers.

I had absolutely no issues with the higher calibers, but I also wanted high capacity. If I could have a .45 with as many rounds that occupied the same amount of space and I shot the same as the G19, I would be getting that! I even had fun shooting the S&W 500 magnum and dislike shooting at .22 (it’s no fun at all). Racking the slide is technique, not strength. Once you have the technique down she can rack anything (my only exception has been the Desert Eagle).

I carry most of the year in a fanny pack. My clothing has no belt loops; most of the material is too soft to stand the weight of a G19. In cooler months, when I can comfortably wear a cover garment, I have used a belly band (occasionally). I don’t like purse carry (my personal preference) as I prefer to have it on me and it go wherever I go, without exception.

Whatever she carries should be something she is willing to practice with, a lot. For me, the cost of practice ammo for the G19 kind of helped seal the deal.

I also have a Ruger LCP for those times the attire allows for nothing larger. I shoot it at the range every month or so to stay proficient with it, but it is not what I would call a fun gun to shoot. It has a lonnnnnnggggg trigger pull.

I know this thread isn't new, has she made a selection yet?

wuvmyglock
12-04-2011, 10:27
Find a range where you can try several different handguns.. There is not a one size fits all..

happyguy
12-04-2011, 10:38
Well, I'm going to wade in here and say it's not just about what they want or like, it's also about what they need, and they will probably need some good guidance to pick a gun that suits their needs.

Just like men, not all women are equal when it comes to handling firearms.

Some women are devastated if they break a nail.

Others can kill an elk, quarter it, and pack it out on their back.

How she envisions carrying the weapon, how strong and athletic she is, how assertive and confident, and how she dresses all come into play.

Yes it's her decision, but don't allow her to make an uninformed one.

Regards,

Misty02
12-04-2011, 10:43
Well, I'm going to wade in here and say it's not just about what they want or like, it's also about what they need, and they will probably need some good guidance to pick a gun that suits their needs.

Just like men, not all women are equal when it comes to handling firearms.

Some women are devastated if they break a nail.

Others can kill an elk, quarter it, and pack it out on their back.

How she envisions carrying the weapon, how strong and athletic she is, how assertive and confident, and how she dresses all come into play.

Yes it's her decision, but don't allow her to make an uninformed one.

Regards,

Totally agree. I did have input from others that new better, they provided the pros and cons for each of my preferred selections. They had me answer specific questions that made me think of other factors I had not considered. The final decision was my own, but I had some help getting there.