SwampFox Range Report [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : SwampFox Range Report

Kingarthurhk
11-09-2011, 15:43
I am going out to exterminate some hogs soon. I have a Glock 20 SF with a LWD 6" threaded 10mm barrel with a 22lb tungsten guide rod. I ordered 100 rounds of 10mm 200gr Hornady XTP SwampFox ammuntion.

It is supposed to be the hottest best stuff out there.

I loaded up all 5 magazines, dumping out SD ammo and preserving it for later.

I noticed that the ammunition loaded into the magazines just like any other 10mm ammunition I've used before: blazer, hydroshock, etc.

I chambered a round, it pushed nose up at a 45 degree angle. That was not encouraging.

I racked the slide back, got the round out and reloaded it. Eventually, the round chambered.

This made me wonder exactly how the range test would turn out.

I took a fully loaded magazine with the one loaded in the chamber. Out of the entire magazine I probably hade 2-3 "nose ups" where I had to stop what I was doing and clear the jams.

When the rounds chambered and fired they did so accurately wand with plenty of punch. I would say the recoil was close to a .44 magnum.

I am just not certain what is causing the 45 degree "nose up" issues.

Tiro Fijo
11-09-2011, 20:33
...I would say the recoil was close to a .44 magnum.

I am just not certain what is causing the 45 degree "nose up" issues.

Sounds like you need the Wolff 10% "Xtra" Glock mag springs as the slide is obviously recoiling violently and possibly too fast to rechamber a new round completely. Also, aftermarket recoil springs are notorious for problems in a Glock.

Better yet, buy a revolver for big bore hunting and leave the 10mm to nuts like Ted Nugent.

:rofl:

Kingarthurhk
11-10-2011, 04:34
Sounds like you need the Wolff 10% "Xtra" Glock mag springs as the slide is obviously recoiling violently and possibly too fast to rechamber a new round completely. Also, aftermarket recoil springs are notorious for problems in a Glock.

Better yet, buy a revolver for big bore hunting and leave the 10mm to nuts like Ted Nugent.

Interesting, considering the recoil spring works great on all other ammunition. Also, the magazines have functioned flawlessly with other ammuntion. When there is a feed error simply attempting to chamber a round, there is a problem.

Also, I do have revolvers in .357 magnum, .44 magnum, and .454 Casull. However, I like the concept of 16 shots over 6 any day. Though, after yesterday's sketchy results I am packing the .44 magnum as a back up.

Ak.Hiker
11-13-2011, 01:13

I always thought Ted was one of us.

CanyonMan
11-13-2011, 06:38

One of the best and most true quotes I've heard around here in a long time... :thumbsup:

CM

PghJim
11-13-2011, 17:57
What ever the stock recoil spring weight is, use it. As mentioned, get +10% mag springs, and check other magazines. Is the slide catching the case in the body of the cartridge instead of behind the head of the when you get the FTF?

Kingarthurhk
11-13-2011, 21:49
What ever the stock recoil spring weight is, use it. As mentioned, get +10% mag springs, and check other magazines. Is the slide catching the case in the body of the cartridge instead of behind the head of the when you get the FTF?

The recomended recoil spring for this round is 22lbs. The magazines feed everything else just fine from blazers to hydroshocks. I am thinking it has to be the conical nose of the XTP Hornady round. When it gives an FTF it catches the round at a 45 degree angle upward, catching the slide slightly ajar. In some cases when firing a double feed will occurr. When it does fire, accuracy and power are not an issue. The trouble is, the round does not feed properly either when manually cycling through a magazine or shooting the pistol.

The only thing I can guess would be it is related to the conical nose of the 200gr round.

Ak.Hiker
11-14-2011, 14:03
Not sure what the problem is but I can tell you I have never had any failure with any factory Hornady XTP loads in any of my stock Glocks. They pretty much have a ball like feeding profile.