Media? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Media?

GoonGlock21
11-09-2011, 19:21
I am gettin started reloading and cant seem to find any reliable info. I have read some stuff online about different media, they all seem to be trying to sell you "there" media. What do i actually need, im cleaning .308 cases that i intend to load for my heavy barrel rem 700? I have a lyman 1200 tumbler be here tomm.

ron59
11-09-2011, 19:24
Corncob or walnut seem to be the most popular choices. You can buy it from online places, or petstores/walmart carry it too.

I've been using corncob, but going to give walnut a try next time.

PCJim
11-09-2011, 20:42
Go to your local pet supply store and look for ground walnut used for bird cage litter or reptile litter. You will want the smallest size they have - too large and you'll be picking it out of cases. (The size of the dash in the prior sentence is about the right size.) You can mix 2-3 tablespoons of paint thinner into the media to facilitate the cleaning process, and/or a capful or two of NuFinish car polish to make the cases shiny enough to attract women of loose morals. Make sure any additive is well mixed in the media before adding cases, usually five minutes or so. IF you don't, you'll remember next time to wait (again, it clumps together inside of cases if not thoroughly dispersed). Use a household appliance or light timer to turn the tumbler off after two hours of cleaning.

My 308 loading goes along the lines of: tumble, lube, resize/deprime, quick tumble (only to remove lube), trim, chamfer, deburr, swage, then prime, powder, and seat your projectile.

unclebob
11-09-2011, 20:44
Walnut media cleans brass. Corn cob polishes the brass. Since you are tumbling 308 make sure you get the fine walnut or corn cob. I would not get the walnut from Wal-Mart I have found its way to dusty. I get my Walnut from Pet Smart. When I need some more I think I will try the walnut from Harbor Freight. Corn Cob I bought a 50 lbs. bag 30 + years ago and still have about 5 gallons left. I have two tumblers one with walnut and one with corn cob. I first put it in the walnut with a cut up dryer sheet to clean the brass. I then put the brass in the corn cob with a couple tablespoons of 50/50 mix of Nu-Finish car polish and mineral spirits. Doing it this way the corn cob stays cleaner a lot longer. If you use the Nu-finish make sure you run the tumbler until it mixes in or you will have a mess trying to get the media out of the case.

PCJim
11-09-2011, 20:58
There you go, three well qualified answers.

BTW, if you use my reloading sequence above, you will need to check the flash holes for media. Either use a universal depriming die in station one of your progressive press to ensure every flash hole is clear, or manually examine every case with a paper clip in hand to punch any stuck media out.

njl
11-09-2011, 21:18
I'll second the warning, you don't want the coarse corn cob pet bedding from walmart. The pieces are almost as big as popcorn kernels, and they will get stuck inside the cases. If you have a local Harbor Freight, check with them to see if they have crushed walnut tumbling/blasting media.

Resist the temptation to add any liquid polish/additives (many people say they do). In my experience, this will cause sticky clumps of media, and some of them will end up on the inside walls of some of your brass.

rpgman
11-10-2011, 07:45
I use the Walnut from Petsmart, but next I'm going to try the fine walnut from harbor Freight. The one they use for Blast Media, fine grade.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-lbs-fine-grade-walnut-shell-blast-media-92155.html
Greg

rpgman
11-10-2011, 07:51
Resist the temptation to add any liquid polish/additives (many people say they do). In my experience, this will cause sticky clumps of media, and some of them will end up on the inside walls of some of your brass.

I use the formula Uncle Bob gave me...

"I mix 50/50 mixture of mineral spirits and NU Finish car polish in a squirt bottle. I put a couple of table spoons of this in the corn cob and run the tumbler for about 5 to 10 minutes to let it mix in with the corn cob. If you donít the media well clump up inside the case. The mineral spirits helps in removing carbon off the case that the walnut did not take off. The corn cob and NU Finish put a real nice shine on the case. It also helps I think when sizing the case.
Walnut media cleans the brass.
Corn cob shines the brass.
Some people mix walnut and corncob together 50/50 and add the dryer sheets and NU Finish and mineral spirits all at the same time."

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1373086&highlight=mineral

Seems to work fine and I never get any clumps. I also throw in the used dryer sheets.

Greg

DoctaGlockta
11-10-2011, 08:53
Walnut + Nufinish + few hours in a tumbler = Brass that will be clean and shinier than you imagine.

Keep it simple. No fancy formulas needed. Good luck.

Hoser
11-10-2011, 09:07
I use fine corn cob and nufinish.

Sometimes I will use stainless media, but it is a huge pain in the butt compared to corn cob or walnut.

Able 5
11-10-2011, 09:39
harbor freight walnut media works very well, have used it for years.

GioaJack
11-10-2011, 11:29
SCIENTIST CONFIRM LONG HELD BELIEF

After 12 years of exhaustive study scientists at MIT have confirmed that shiny ammunition brass does not attract women of loose moral values.

The same group of scientists also unequivocally confirmed that hundred-dollar bill do attract women of loose moral values.

The team of scientists concluded that reloaders, (with the exception of one astute loader in the mountains of Colorado), could be making much wiser choices in how they spend there money.

The same scientists added that a loader by the name of Unclebob might as well pursue his quest for shiny brass since no amount of money will ever help him lose his virginity. :whistling:

Jack

rpgman
11-10-2011, 11:50
wow, I still like both....'shiny brass' and 'loose woman'.
oh, and hundred dollar bills too.

Boxerglocker
11-10-2011, 13:59
I use fine corn cob and nufinish.

Same here.... http://www.drillspot.com/products/499763/econoline_526020g-40_40_lbs_blast_media

40 pounds delivered for $26 :supergrin:

50/50 nu-finish and mineral spirits, throw in a cut up dryer sheet.....