P30 for CCW? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : P30 for CCW?

cutler686
11-09-2011, 19:01
Good Afternoon all.

Its been a wile since I have carried regularly (moved to WI from MI 6 years ago)

Well now we have CC in WI so I am ready to make a purchase :)

I used to carry a G26 or G19 however am looking for a .40 or .45. I was thinking about a G36 but walked into a gunshop today and handled a P30s. All I can say is WOW.. what a wonderful feeling gun.

My issue is that I feel its a tad large for CCW. I am 5' 10'' 175, and never really liked to carry the 19 (although a had a crappy holster).

Long story short, does anyone carry the P30? Do you have any other recommendations for something similar? I have always loved glocks, but the G36 just feels like a brick in compared to the P30.

mj9mm
11-09-2011, 19:29
nice good, but how is ag36 a brick compared to a larger gun like that. all in the eye of the beholder :wavey:

paragon1
11-09-2011, 19:49
I carry a P30 often, and it carries well enough. I think the P2000 is a better carry piece due to the shorter grip. If the ergos of the P2000 are ok with you, everything else is pretty much the same as the the P30.

The trigger may even be a grunt better on the P2000.

cutler686
11-10-2011, 17:43
nice good, but how is ag36 a brick compared to a larger gun like that. all in the eye of the beholder :wavey:

I was simply speaking of grip feel when using the term brick. The g36 would be easier to conceal however doesn't come close to the feel of the p30 in my opinion.

I wish the p30 was just a tad smaller i guess.

BK63
11-10-2011, 17:53
Why not just get a Glock and not mess around? They are carried by more law enforcement and military around the world than anything else because they are made to work and protect you from the bad elements of this world. Nuff said.

TrueGunNut
11-10-2011, 18:04
I have both a Glock 19 3rd Gen and an Hk P30S 9mm. The Glock 19 "seems to be" a tad bit more compact in dimensions when carrying either gun.

Since the p30 in 9mm and 40sw are the same size gun, this may be useful to you. I love my p30 and my g19... Hk will always be my favorite by a small margin so.. if you really want an Hk, pay up $$$ otherwise get another glock. Either should run perfect.

In other words... that p30s 40sw, you can expect to carry about like your g19 you already have.

HKLovingIT
11-10-2011, 18:24
P30 is about G17 size in grip height, about G19 size in slide length. Unless you get P30L then about G17 size all around, give or take.

Fantastic pistol. Might be a bit big but only you can decide based on your body, wardrobe, where you work, where you go, what you do.

If you didn't like carrying something the size of a G19, you probably aren't going to like carrying a P30.

Smaller H&K Options - smaller to bigger

P2000SK 9mm, .40, .357 SIG - - -:wavey:
USP Compact, 9mm, .40, .357 SIG
USP Compact .45
HK45C .45
P2000 9mm, .40, .357 SIG

Not one of the above is a stinker. Couldn't go wrong with any of them, unless you get something too big you won't carry.

cowboy1964
11-10-2011, 21:07
I've tried carrying the P30 but it's a few ounces heavier than my 19 and of course the grip is much longer as are the mags (a spare mag barely fits in my Safariland 123).

All in all I think I'm probably going to stick with the G19/26 for 9mm carry and the M&P 45c for .45 carry. I'm also considering a Walther PPQ, it's just slightly smaller than the P30 but noticeably lighter (almost as light as the G19). The Glocks just rule when it comes to size/weight efficiency per round and I'm really starting to shoot them well. I don't know why I keep questing for something else.

IT0
11-11-2011, 09:44
The P30 and P30L are great guns, but if for any reason you had to use it, you would no probably not see it for a long long time. Maybe a cheaper, Glock would be a better option. You could buy 2 G19s for the price of one P30

cowboy1964
11-11-2011, 11:17
The P30 and P30L are great guns, but if for any reason you had to use it, you would no probably not see it for a long long time. Maybe a cheaper, Glock would be a better option.

If anyone is seriously worried about this, get a Hi Point. You can buy four Hi Points for one Glock. So you could be in 3 separate self-defense situations and still have a gun left.

IT0
11-11-2011, 18:48
If anyone is seriously worried about this, get a Hi Point. You can buy four Hi Points for one Glock. So you could be in 3 separate self-defense situations and still have a gun left.

Yeah yeah.... I just don't like the idea of carrying around a $900 gun for every day carry, when you can pick up a nice used Glock for under $400

J-DUBYA
11-11-2011, 19:04
I don't have a lot of experience with it, but I might suggest the Walther PPQ. It comes in .40 S&W and has a Glock-like trigger with which you are already accustomed. Again, no first hand knowledge or experience with either of these guns, but I have read posts where people have made comparisons between the P30 and PPQ in terms of the grip ergos.

Tiro Fijo
11-12-2011, 11:23
The Walther PPQ has the same ergonomics as the H&K P30 AND has a trigger that the P30 can only dream of!! I have shot both and I own a PPQ in 9mm. No funky decocker and no DA/SA pull. The PPQ is striker fired & has a trigger like a Glock that breaks like a 1911 after initial takeup. Phenomenally accurate as well. I CCW the PPQ all the time and with good leather it carries like it isn't there.

The secret to comfortable CCW is a good holster and a good belt. If you scrimp there you will pay more later in both money & discomfort.

writwing
11-12-2011, 17:59
The Walther PPQ has the same ergonomics as the H&K P30 AND has a trigger that the P30 can only dream of!! I have shot both and I own a PPQ in 9mm. No funky decocker and no DA/SA pull. The PPQ is striker fired & has a trigger like a Glock that breaks like a 1911 after initial takeup. Phenomenally accurate as well. I CCW the PPQ all the time and with good leather it carries like it isn't there.

The secret to comfortable CCW is a good holster and a good belt. If you scrimp there you will pay more later in both money & discomfort.

What he said!

cutler686
11-13-2011, 07:05
My gun shop recommended I take a look at the PPQ as well however didn't have one in stock and I couldn't find one locally.

When I look at the specs online however the PPQ seems a tad longer in length than the p30 6.9 vs 7.2, and my biggest concern is size.

I think I'm just going to suck it up and get the P30 and match it to a SuperTuck or MTAC and see what happens.

magpie maniac
11-13-2011, 07:18
Over the past month, I've transitioned from carrying a Glock 26 in an MTAC to an HK P30S in an MTAC. Size difference obviously, but the MTAC does a good job holding the additional grip length against my hip at four o'clock. The P30 conceals well with this setup.

I tried the PPQ before buying the P30. I shot a friend's PPQ again yesterday as a matter of fact and I remember now why I chose the P30. For starters, the P30 just felt a lot better in my hand. Second, I was a lot more accurate with the P30. The crisp SA break on the DA/SA model allowed me to pitch those rounds toward the target with great accuracy.