N Frame S&W conversion from square to Round [Archive] - Glock Talk


View Full Version : N Frame S&W conversion from square to Round

11-10-2011, 03:53
Is that a feasible conversion? All other smith frame sized fit better in the round style than the square. Can it be did? How much to perform it? Loves me some smith and western revos!

11-13-2011, 20:18
I have done this before several years ago. In my case some customers wanted to have a K-frame size round butt. There is a lot of meat to grind off. Also, you have to take some metal away from the area behind the trigger guard because it is fatter on the N frame. The best way to do it is a) send it to a pro to do.. b) get the grips you want to use, and fit the gun to them.

Realize the gun will have to be refinished. And if it isn't absolutely perfect, you will be very disappointed with it. AND, the resale went to hell... no body will want it.

Jason D
11-14-2011, 17:31
Sell it and buy a new one.

11-15-2011, 15:49
The FBI used to do this at Quantico for their K-frame issue weapons, so I know it is possible. Finding someone to do it is another matter.

11-15-2011, 15:55
Sell it and buy a new one.

This. Especially if it is an older gun, modding it shouldn't be an option. 'Till you find someone to do it right, and pay the price, just swapping it makes more sense.

The OP is certainly right about the sweetness of Smith revos.

12-10-2011, 09:35
Brownells used to sell a guide jig for a SB to RB conversion.

Jim Watson
12-10-2011, 13:08
As greco says, N square to K round is not as simple as it looks. I have one that is kind of a mess; I had grips made to fit the gun since the alleged gunsmith did not make the gun fit standard grips.

There are now N round butt guns and grips. That seems to be a better conversion since you are going to the other factory style.