Chrome lined vs Chrome Moly? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Chrome lined vs Chrome Moly?

Skadoosh
11-10-2011, 15:32
Lets keep this kind of a Bushmaster vs RRA thread, just wondering what the pros&cons are of these different types of barrels.

cciman
11-10-2011, 19:11
Chrome lined for higher cost, chromoly is plain barrel (base) variety for cheap.

Ultimately, you have to base this on your budget, and what else comes on the gun to compensate for either/or. The advantage of Chrome lined is durability (increased lifspan of barrel) and resistance to bore corrosion.

If you are meticulous about cleaning, shoot quality ammo, and don't intend to outlive the gun, or fire thousands of rounds per week, then chromoly is fine for most recreational shooters. There are some arguments that chroming a barrel makes it less accurate.

Alternatively,you may be able to find a nitrided barrel that will exceed the qualities of chrome lined for the price of chromoly.

Lets keep this kind of a Bushmaster vs RRA thread, just wondering what the pros&cons are of these different types of barrels.

crazymoose
11-10-2011, 19:20
The only advantage of a non-chromed barrel is that it can be more accurate. That said, most of the RRA and Bushmaster non-chromed barrels are not exactly match barrels to begin with (there are a couple of exceptions from each company). Spend the extra $$$ for the chrome.

cciman
11-10-2011, 22:00
Nitrided is the way to go. This gets both he inside and outside of the barrel.

fran m
11-11-2011, 18:29
Who is making these Nitrided Barrels?

HAIL CAESAR
11-11-2011, 20:36
Unless you buy ammo by the case, or cases, non-chrome lined is fine. Depending if you want a bit more accuracy....get the non-CL.

Ljunatic
11-11-2011, 22:01
Since you mentioned RRA...

My Adco modified 18" govt profile Wilson chrome moly RRA barrel has been flawless for 5k rounds with 1 full cleaning that included copper removal. Otherwise it just gets a bore snake with CLP

still holds .5 MOA which is better than I can shoot most days.

If I shoot it out I will go to a stainless barrel.

Just loaded up 1000 more 55gr Hornady spire point for it this week

DieselNut
11-12-2011, 22:16
I had a double-star with an ER Shaw chrome moly barrel. It was pretty darn accurate. I can notice a slight difference from my LMT which is chrome lined. It's not as accurate, but certainly not bad.

Skadoosh
11-15-2011, 18:09
Thanks for all the input guys.

pat701
11-16-2011, 06:56
DSA had complete uppers with Nitrided barrels for $275. bought one and i am happy.

cphilip
11-28-2011, 20:43
DSA had complete uppers with Nitrided barrels for $275. bought one and i am happy.

Along with several of the upper tier manufacturers, S&W now makes a couple of their AR in this finish. They first put it in the Sport but no one really noticed as that was a budget AR. And now they chose to offer a Tactical in it. But fact is that some top tier manufacturers already recognized its usefulness and its superior traits and offered it as specialty barrels. Melonite is the trade name of the process S&W employs on theirs. I forget at this writing who holds that patent but it is not S&W. They simply use it under license. As we know, Glock and others also use similar methods on Slides and parts. It is harder than Chrome lining, slicker even gives a better corrosion resistance (some arguments settle on perhaps 20 -30 % longer life than Chrome)... and it does not increase the thickness of the surface like Chrome lining does so it does result in less accuracy distortion. Since it is a treatment that penetrates into the steel it doesn't chip or wear off as easily as Chrome. It is also somewhat cheaper to employ as well. Thats a bonus really. But don't let that imply its not as good because many thing it is not only as good but better. And, as a plus, it can be applied to the inside of the barrel AND the outside for a scratch free finish too. Many think that if it wasn't for the military tradition and history behind it, Chrome lining would be a thing of the past already. Old habits are kind of hard to change. But Melonite and various nitrocarburizing (sp?) techniques have now evolved to the point that they are past due to replace Chrome lining... and have long been ignored. The fact is they are a much better option. But they get often disrespected because they are not traditional. There are many debates on this recently and most of the conclusions are very favorable towards this treatment over Chrome. Of course its hard to change old habits and old traditional requirements. But I will take Nitrtrocarb treated barrels over Chrome lined any time now. I am a convert. An old dog but learned a new trick.

If you want to read a nice long debate with lots of information on this comparison (not Chromolly vs Chrome, but nitrocarburizing vs Chrome lined) read this one. But be sure to read it all of it. http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=83495