Hornady 200gr. XTPs v. Phonebooks [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hornady 200gr. XTPs v. Phonebooks

Disregarded9-side
11-10-2011, 17:10
I bought 100 .451 caliber 200gr Hornady XTP to reload for my Kimber Pro; I only got them because I wanted 200gr. bullets and that was all that was available at the time. They're well well made/consistent, but Hornady bullets are simply never worth their cost for me to shoot from a pistol (not saying they're not better, but they're not that much better than Montana Gold).

I've had some phonebooks laying around that I picked up in the neighborhood almost a year ago with plans of soaking and then shooting them to test out my loads.
Well, I finally got around to shooting them today but didn't have time to soak them first. Fired the following into the phonebooks, recovered four projectiles:

45ACP Kimber Pro Carry, 4" barrel; distance ~7 yards.
-Mixed Brass cases
-5.6gr. Unique
-200 Grain Hornady XTP
-CCI 300
-COAL @ 1.2215"

This is an intentionally light load, probably moving around or even under 800FPS. I shot 8 rounds of 230gr. FMJ that penetrated much more than my own rolls. Still I was not expecting the results that I'm left with:
None of of hollow points mushroomed/expanded at all. All four have at least some pedals bent inward. [I]All show signs of "plugging" from the dry layer of phonebook paper. One that I recovered had tumbled while penetrating and the nose end was facing the entrance hole. It is worth noting that there was a sizable exit in the first phonebook (through and through to the next) that I examined throughly after my first shot. I'll post pictures probably tonight when I can.

Was this typical shooting HPs into a DRY phonebook, did the plugging keep them from expanding? Would my results have been different if I'd used soaked phonebooks? Or,
-Are XTPs just poor hollow points that tend to fail to expand (I've heard this more than once)?
-Was my load just not hot enough to reach the velocities required for the XTP to expand? Obviously most HPs are going to be loaded pretty hot.

Thanks.

Zombie Steve
11-10-2011, 17:16
Loaded 900+ fps into wetpack will be a very different story. Very few hp's will expand in a dry phone book.

fredj338
11-10-2011, 19:16
Was this typical shooting HPs into a DRY phonebook, did the plugging keep them from expanding? Would my results have been different if I'd used soaked phonebooks? Or,
-Are XTPs just poor hollow points that tend to fail to expand (I've heard this more than once)?
-Was my load just not hot enough to reach the velocities required for the XTP to expand? Obviously most HPs are going to be loaded pretty hot.

Thanks.

As Steve notes, dry paper is very hard on a bullet. In fact, dry anything will often plug most JHP. So soak them. the 200grXTP is my ltwt Comm carry round. They always expand to about 60cal+ in wetpack or water, & dig as deep as many 230gr that expand a bit more. The factory load makes just inder 900fps in my 1911PD. FWIW, there is no comaprison w/ the MG as to terminal performance. The MG is an accurate bullet but I have never gotten consistant expansion form them.

GioaJack
11-10-2011, 19:23
I bought a phone book to read over last weekend. Although the cast of characters was impressive to say the least the lack of plot was so disappointing I shot it.

Should have drowned it first. :whistling:

Jack

dakrat
11-10-2011, 20:06
great info! now I know not to use that bullet when the phonebooks invade mankind.

Zombie Steve
11-10-2011, 20:11
Or gangster home invaders wearing dry phone books as body armor.

WiskyT
11-10-2011, 20:58
I bought a phone book to read over last weekend. Although the cast of characters was impressive to say the least the lack of plot was so disappointing I shot it.

Should have drowned it first. :whistling:

Jack

Droll

EL_NinO619
11-10-2011, 21:08
Man you girls can be harsh sometimes. Make BG. Its fun and mimics Zombies a lot better. But phonebooks are A LOT cheaper.