I am so glad it rained today... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I am so glad it rained today...

danattherock
11-10-2011, 16:53
My buddy and I were heading to the range to shoot some pistols and all of a sudden, the sky got dark and it began to rain pretty hard. We decided to ride to a gun store about 20 miles away with hopes of shooting guns afterwards if the rain died down a bit. I walk into the shop and what do I see on the top shelf? Could it be? Just last night I was asking around for info here on manufacturers of 10mm pistols aside from Glock (I have a G20).

There in front of me today is the Colt Delta Elite. I bought it immediately and went shooting. The gun is day and night from my G20 (that I love). Apples and oranges. No real value to this post, just excited. Almost seemed like fate. I first heard of this gun yesterday, then due to bad weather find it today. The guy at the gun shop said folks had already been calling and emailing about the Colt. Guess it wasn't going to be on the shelf long.

:woohoo:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6044/6333337182_ff0537b4f9_z.jpg

Dan

arushus
11-10-2011, 17:06
What in the hell is all over it?

danattherock
11-10-2011, 17:12
Cell phone pic through scratched up glass counter.

Took the pic as soon as I saw the gun.

Texted to the wife my intentions.

The gun shines like a diamond and is flawless.

Jitterbug
11-10-2011, 17:31
Sweet, is that a 2011 model?

danattherock
11-10-2011, 17:43
I suspect, NIB and they had just got it in from Colt.

Where would it say the year? I could check of course if I knew what to look for.

Glock Master
11-10-2011, 17:51
Congrats on the Colt Delta Elite.
Go 10mm! :perfect10:

Jitterbug
11-10-2011, 17:58
If it's NIB and just in from Colt, I'm guessing you got a 2011 model, which I think is just a great way to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the greatest pistol ever built!

Colt is pretty accommodating or ask the guys over in the Colt forum on the

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=331176

website.

I just cruised over there to pick up the address and they have a Colt factory rep on that site, I'm sure he could help.

Anyway Cool gun and Congratulations, I hope you enjoy it!

I'm sure we'll all be looking forward to some range reports.

Jitterbug
11-10-2011, 18:07
Some more interesting stuff about Colt...

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=339001

OregonG20
11-10-2011, 18:12
That is a sweet looking pistol. I am a bit jealous. For me it came down to the G20, and the Colt DE. That thing is beautiful. Hope you give us a range report soon.

danattherock
11-10-2011, 18:16
I'm sure we'll all be looking forward to some range reports.

Well, the first 30 rounds from 10 yards impressed the heck out of me. This is my first 1911 and a new gun so I will have to get used to it. Mix that with mist on my glasses from the rain, accuracy seemed very good. The gun is capable of much better obviously. But for my skill level, this was exceptional accuracy. I pulled a few down low, but most the shots had pretty tight dispersion (for me). Most importantly, it was FUN. The feel of that 1911 trigger was a new experience for me. Like finding a long lost friend.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6238/6333504542_851e701024.jpg

Thanks for the link Jitterbug.

danattherock
11-10-2011, 18:20
That is a sweet looking pistol. I am a bit jealous. For me it came down to the G20, and the Colt DE. That thing is beautiful. Hope you give us a range report soon.

Get both. Like I said, apples and oranges. They are distinctively different guns. I was initially torn on the idea of buying another 10 mm, not anymore. The Colt is a very different animal. The Glock 20 for me was a very special application tool. On certain trips to Alaska and elsewhere when I would be hiking many miles and being mobile for periods of time, I wanted something I could (would) carry. The S&W 500 is top shelf, but hard to hike 20 miles of river with a fly vest on, backpack, etc.. and carry that beast. The Colt is a precision instrument. The Glock is a battering ram. Love them both, but made for different usages perhaps.

-Dan

4949shooter
11-10-2011, 18:25
Damn I'm jealous..

Congrats! She looks like a beautiful sample even through the scratched up glass. If you can, I would love to see some more pics.

danattherock
11-10-2011, 18:33
While still a pic from my phone, here is a better image.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6231/6332793777_1f158a4774_z.jpg

danattherock
11-10-2011, 18:58
Damn I'm jealous..

Congrats! She looks like a beautiful sample even through the scratched up glass. If you can, I would love to see some more pics.

Numerous great pics of my identical gun here on this online review....

http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=29

Opie 1 Kenopie
11-10-2011, 19:21
But I gotta ask... What did your wife say over the phone? What did you have to give up or promise to do to justify a pistol at almost $1000? I gotta know cuz I have this battle from time to time over a $450 Glock!

post-apocalyptic
11-10-2011, 19:50
Seems like kind of an impulsive way to spend a grand. :eyebrow: In this case, it turned out well as the Delta Elite is a sweet pistol. I'm envious.

MarineHawk
11-10-2011, 19:55
Nice pistol Dan! Congrats.

danattherock
11-10-2011, 20:15
But I gotta ask... What did your wife say over the phone? What did you have to give up or promise to do to justify a pistol at almost $1000? I gotta know cuz I have this battle from time to time over a $450 Glock!

My lips are sealed (at the moment)...

danattherock
11-10-2011, 20:17
Seems like kind of an impulsive way to spend a grand. :eyebrow: In this case, it turned out well as the Delta Elite is a sweet pistol. I'm envious.

Not really. Posted this thread 19 hours earlier...

Looking for another 10 mm to keep my Glock 20 company. See that Kimber makes one on the 1911 platform. Heard about Colt Delta Elite, but not sure it is still made. Curious aside from Glock who made 10 mm pistols. Thanks for any info.

More like fate than impulse.

danattherock
11-10-2011, 20:19
Nice pistol Dan! Congrats.

Thanks man. Check out my KKM review.

You are in for a treat when yours comes in:wow:

4949shooter
11-11-2011, 10:18
Numerous great pics of my identical gun here on this online review....

http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=29

Thanks Dan, she is a beauty. :thumbsup:

MarineHawk
11-11-2011, 11:02
Thanks man. Check out my KKM review.

You are in for a treat when yours comes in:wow:

I'm still waiting for mine to come in. Supposedly within two weeks. Did you order directly from KKM. If so, perhaps I should have done the same.

Do you have a chrono? I'd love to hear how the various loads vary, if at all in velocity, in the stock Glock barrel, the KKM, and out of the Colt.

HNext chance I get to shoot outside of a range on private land, I will check the first two wirh various BB, DT, and CorBon ammo.

danattherock
11-11-2011, 12:24
I did order directly from KKM. Barrel was at my door 6 days from purchase.

Got a chrono, but it is loaned out to a buddy. Good time to get it back.

-Dan

post-apocalyptic
11-11-2011, 15:04
...Do you have a chrono? I'd love to hear how the various loads vary, if at all in velocity, in the stock Glock barrel, the KKM, and out of the Colt...

Glock barrels will provide the highest velocity. There are several advantages to that hammer-forged polygonal rifling. :whistling:

...HNext chance I get to shoot outside of a range on private land, I will check the first two wirh various BB, DT, and CorBon ammo.

I recommend ordering and testing some Underwood 10mm as well. It's hotter than the vast majority of BB, DT, and CorBon, cheaper too. ;)

post-apocalyptic
11-11-2011, 15:08
Not really. Posted this thread 19 hours earlier...(thread)

More like fate than impulse.

I generally consider firearms purchases, (especially >$500), for more than 19 hours. But hell, to each his own and the pistol in question is a Delta Elite, so as I said, I approve in this case. I'm sure that's a load off your mind. :supergrin:

MarineHawk
11-11-2011, 15:12
Glock barrels will provide the highest velocity. There are several advantages to that hammer-forged polygonal rifling. :whistling:

I recommend ordering and testing some Underwood 10mm as well. It's hotter than the vast majority of BB, DT, and CorBon, cheaper too. ;)

Thanks for the info p-a. I will look into the Underwood ammo later. Is it okay to fire through the stock barrel? Do they have any with heavy and/or HC bullets for hunting?

It will probably be a couple months because I have recently accumulated couple of metric tons of 10mm ammo I need to shoot first. One thing I have noticed is the BB 180gr bullets by several accounts chrono consisten velocities int he 1,350+range without much devation. So, that's going to be one of my go-to loads, but am always interested in others.

post-apocalyptic
11-11-2011, 15:35
Thanks for the info p-a. I will look into the Underwood ammo later. Is it okay to fire through the stock barrel? Do they have any with heavy and/or HC bullets for hunting?

It will probably be a couple months because I have recently accumulated couple of metric tons of 10mm ammo I need to shoot first. One thing I have noticed is the BB 180gr bullets by several accounts chrono consisten velocities int he 1,350+range without much devation. So, that's going to be one of my go-to loads, but am always interested in others.

Yep it's absolutely gtg in OEM barrel/s, (it's full-power, not super-power like SF).

The only thing Underwood lacks right now is variety in the 10mm they offer. You can get 165gr JHP, (Winchester bullets), or Golden Sabre, 180gr JHP, (Win) or Golden Sabre, or.. 180gr FMJ, which can't really be called a hunting round but I can attest to the fact that it penetrates extrmely well.. I blew a cinderblock into 4 pieces with 2 rounds of this the other day, (fired through a 6" Glock barrel).

Underwood 180gr rounds chrono at ~1300fps through a ~4.6" barrel.

danattherock
11-11-2011, 17:17
I generally consider firearms purchases, (especially >$500), for more than 19 hours. But hell, to each his own and the pistol in question is a Delta Elite, so as I said, I approve in this case. I'm sure that's a load off your mind. :supergrin:

19 hours is a long time to me:supergrin:

Taterhead
11-11-2011, 17:55

It has been my experience that the BB velocities are as advertised. They are consistently 1335 fps from my G20. The one problem that I have with that load is that it has, for a while now, been loaded with a Montana Gold target bullet. It is a JHP that sheds mass badly and does not really expand. They used to load Gold Dots, but they have been scarce the past few years. I wish they would load a more suitable SD bullet. It would be sweet.

bac1023
11-11-2011, 20:43
Very nice

Congrats! :cool:

Jitterbug
11-12-2011, 07:26
If I didn't reload I see if Swampfox could work up some XTP's, 155's, 180's and 200's, the XTP is an excellent bullet and I think those three weights will cover most 10mm applications.

I'm not sure of the cast bullet, factory load market, Double Tap maybe? And I'd go 200 grain rather the 230 gr.

Or better yet, see if SF could load some Beartooth's for ya.

I haven't heard anyone mention Reeds lately, don't know if he's still around, but if so, that might be worth looking into.

I've had good results with American Eagle and Remington UMC for mild 180 grain plinking ammo.