Hornady Critical Defense in a Gen 4 Glock? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Critical Defense in a Gen 4 Glock?

Andy W
11-10-2011, 20:22
I just read an article on Hornady's website comparing the Critical Defense to the Critical Duty round. For instance, in 9mm the Critical Defense uses a 115 grain bullet optimized for "short barrel" handgun velocities. It is not loaded much above the 115 grain target loads you can buy at Wal-Mart. In other words, it does not have a particularly high power factor.

Has anyone tried these in a Gen 4 Glock 17/19? It seems to me like the Critical Defense and the Gen 4 Glock may not be a good combination.

Walk Soft
11-10-2011, 20:31
Yes I put 25 each through my Gen 4 17 and 26.Why wouldn't they work well with a Gen 4?Since they're designed for short barrels I could see why there would be a question about use in a longer barrel(17).

Andy W
11-11-2011, 11:11
Yes I put 25 each through my Gen 4 17 and 26.Why wouldn't they work well with a Gen 4?Since they're designed for short barrels I could see why there would be a question about use in a longer barrel(17).

I was under the impression that they may not be reliable with many of the lighter 115 grain loads available. Isn't that the problem they were having with Gen 4 9mm?

Walk Soft
11-11-2011, 18:18
I was under the impression that they may not be reliable with many of the lighter 115 grain loads available. Isn't that the problem they were having with Gen 4 9mm?

Yes,that was an issue for some(not me).But the Critical Defense is actually pretty hot compared to regular FMJ 115gr.

ChazzMatt
11-14-2011, 09:52

Glock has now fixed the problem with a new EJECTOR. The newest springs help too, but they now have a sturdier ejector with a slightly different angle. Now the cases eject as they should instead of FTE, jamming, stovepiping.

I know this is going to sound confusing but the actual problem was the newly designed EXTRACTOR that Glock introduced in all 9mm right as Gen4s came on line. Besides a new design, was also manufactured in a cheaper way (MIM vs machined).

Higher velocity ammo overcame the flawed extractor design -- it would eject the cases, even if it hit you in the face and burned your cheeks. :upeyes: Lower velocity ammo, even though within SAAMI specs, would jam, FTE. So, stupid fanbois blamed limp wristing or "weak" ammo, when the real problem was a flawed design. Glock owners who upgraded to Gen4 didn't suddenly start limp wristing. I've been owning/shooting Glocks for two decades. And factory SAAMI spec 9mm ammo should shoot FINE in any 9mm production gun or else the problem lies with the gun, not the ammo -- especially when the previous models of that gun shot that ammo just fine. :steamed:

But after 5 or 6 spring redesigns in 6 months, Glock finally started looking at the ejectors/extractors -- especially since people had reported fixing the problem with a Lone Wolf Extractor.

Rather than redesign their extractor yet again, instead Glock redesigned their EJECTOR to work with their new suspect extractors, and now the problems are solved.

The old model ejector is 336. The new model is 30274.
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6204/6150625187_a301599fa3_b.jpg

http://i42.servimg.com/u/f42/16/12/15/58/61506210.jpg
New (30274) on the left, old (336) on the right.

Everything works fine now, according to people who have the new ejectors. But Glock is only sending the part to armorers or you can send the gun into Glock.

Andy W
11-14-2011, 10:44
When did the new ejectors come out?

ChazzMatt
11-14-2011, 11:01
When did the new ejectors come out?

This new ejector started showing up end of September 2011.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1371946

dkf
11-14-2011, 11:42
I just read an article on Hornady's website comparing the Critical Defense to the Critical Duty round. For instance, in 9mm the Critical Defense uses a 115 grain bullet optimized for "short barrel" handgun velocities. It is not loaded much above the 115 grain target loads you can buy at Wal-Mart. In other words, it does not have a particularly high power factor.

Has anyone tried these in a Gen 4 Glock 17/19? It seems to me like the Critical Defense and the Gen 4 Glock may not be a good combination.

Expect more rapid expansion and slightly less penetration as the barrel length goes up. Probably loose a little more weight also, maybe a petal or two sheer off.

Myself I'm not a fan of the CD because of its performance against barriers. Not and issue for some but for me it is. Then there is the fact that its only available in 20 & 25rd boxes.

Since I got an LCP and have been looking around for a JHP for it I see the CD is a very popular choice, but I can't see why.

Andy W
11-14-2011, 12:16
Expect more rapid expansion and slightly less penetration as the barrel length goes up. Probably loose a little more weight also, maybe a petal or two sheer off.

Myself I'm not a fan of the CD because of its performance against barriers. Not and issue for some but for me it is. Then there is the fact that its only available in 20 & 25rd boxes.

Since I got an LCP and have been looking around for a JHP for it I see the CD is a very popular choice, but I can't see why.

Yeah, that's my problem with the CD. It only comes in a 20 round box and is right around $1 per round. If they sold them in 50 round boxes at around $30 per box, I'd pick them up in a hurry. I don't understand that. Why do all the ammunition companies only sell their premium defense ammo in 20-25 round boxes? At $1+ per round, most people aren't going to want to shoot enough through their guns to properly check for function.

I haven't made up my mind about barrier penetration. I can see why you might want to have it but then, how often does the average civilian have to shoot someone through a car door, windshield, garbage can, etc like a cop might have to?

dkf
11-14-2011, 14:13
Hornady is especially bad with the 20 round boxes. The only Hornady ammo I know of that comes in 50 round boxes is their steel match ammo. However there are some manufacturers that have loads with the XTP bullet. I prefer the XTP over the FTX bullet anyway.

I haven't made up my mind about barrier penetration. I can see why you might want to have it but then, how often does the average civilian have to shoot someone through a car door, windshield, garbage can, etc like a cop might have to?

One could also argue as to why a civilian needs to carry a gun at all. What are the chances they will need it. Same principal I guess.

Barrier penetration for a civilian is something that is mainly personal opinion i guess. With all the vehicles on the road, road rage, car jackings, home invasions and etc I prefer a round with good barrier penetration properties. You may not need it but if some nutjob is speeding stright at you with a vehicle and your options of retreat are limited I like to know my round can go through the winshield and stop the threat. That is one situation among many I could think of. You never know what you could come across.