Should I spring for the 590a1? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Should I spring for the 590a1?

r3dot
11-10-2011, 22:19
Looking for the standard HD/zombie gun. I love the 870, but really not liking their tactical offerings, plus the safety location isn't my preference.

My main reasoning for wanting the a1 is simply due to the 9 round capacity, but, is it worth the extra from the 500 tactical?

What I really want is the new Kel Tec KSG, but I know I won't be getting my hands on one anytime soon. :D

ArmoryDoc
11-10-2011, 22:57
The 590a1 is a nice gun but I prefer the 870's. I can always mod the 870 to my liking.

wtf0ver
11-11-2011, 10:30
i have the A1 and i love it. for me, the mossberg safety and slide release are in the perfect location. if you have enough why not go for the A1? even though a normal 500 would do all of us just fine, its nice to know i have a tough as nails shotgun.

precisioncg
11-11-2011, 10:52
I have the 590a1 with the ghost ring sights with the 20" barrel. Just keep in mind with the milspec heavy barrel its heavier than the 870. I also needed to switch out the factory stock for the 12" Hogue. Before I did it was uncomfortable for me to shoulder and I'm 6'. Now that I did that I'm loving it. Patterns really nice out of the box. I'm still toying with getting it Vang Comp'd, but thats just me. If you decide to buy it you won't be sorry.

r3dot
11-11-2011, 16:32
The 590a1 is a nice gun but I prefer the 870's. I can always mod the 870 to my liking.

What can you do to the 870 that you couldn't with the a1?

Big Bird
11-11-2011, 18:29
If you buy a 590A1 you can buy it exactly the way you want it and unlike the 870 you won't have to go around swapping out inferior factory mag extensions or safety buttons.

The 870 is a great shotgun but about the only thing you need to do to a factory 590A1 is replace the magazine spring for a Wolff extra power mag spring.

ArmoryDoc
11-11-2011, 18:36
What can you do to the 870 that you couldn't with the a1?

Oh, not much I s'ppose. I just prefer the 870.

r3dot
11-11-2011, 18:41
Thanks for the input. I'm keeping an eye out for an a1 then. If I have to, I'll buy new.

ArmoryDoc
11-11-2011, 18:43
The a1's are good guns. I can't say anything bad about 'em. You should enjoy it. :)

officerjohnson
11-11-2011, 19:48
The 590a1 is better than the 870 Express.

The 870 Police is as good as the 590a1. The Express model is not made out of the same quality parrts, and doesnt have the same tough finish and higher standard as the Police, the Police is much better than the Express model.

It should be between the 870 Police and the 590a1, these are the two best pump combat shotguns on the market.

Also, the 18.5 inch barrels are much nicer that the 20 inch version, it really does make a difference.

Maine1
11-11-2011, 20:51
the 870 also does not allow a shell that is jarred from the mag to drop free (all shotguns will do this in rough handling). The 590 will. this is one reason the military likes it. The 870 get shut downuntil the problem is solved.

r3dot
11-11-2011, 20:56
What's the difference between the 590 and 590a1? I'm seeing some nice deals on the 590.

Victoriagotagun
11-11-2011, 23:42
What's the difference between the 590 and 590a1? I'm seeing some nice deals on the 590.

The A1 has a metal trigger guard, metal safety, and a thicker barrel.

Big Bird
11-12-2011, 02:10
The 590a1 is better than the 870 Express.

The 870 Police is as good as the 590a1. The Express model is not made out of the same quality parrts, and doesnt have the same tough finish and higher standard as the Police, the Police is much better than the Express model.

It should be between the 870 Police and the 590a1, these are the two best pump combat shotguns on the market.

Also, the 18.5 inch barrels are much nicer that the 20 inch version, it really does make a difference.

The 590A1 can be purchased with 18.5 or 20" barrels. I've got HD shotguns with 14", 18.5" and 20" barrels and there really not a nickles worth of difference between the 18.5" and 20" guns IMO... A 20" gun buys you an extra shell in the magazine.

I think the Mossberg 500 series shotguns have several real advantages over the 870 design, First is the safety is much more intuitive than a trigger guard safety. Second is the bolt/slide release is in a much easier to use position. Thirdly, the gun has dual extractors and an ejector that can be replaced with a screwdriver. (The 870's ejector is riveted into the side of the receiver and much harder to replace--often requiring return to the factory).
The 500 series guns are a tad harder to detail strip than an 870 but not significantly so and this really has no practical utility. If you can learn to take apart an 870 a Mossberg isn't much harder. The Mossberg triggerguard only has one oin that need to come out while the 870 has two.
IMO the weakness of the Mossberg system is the magazine spring. Factory springs somehow come too weak. A problem that is easily corrected for $10 with a Wolf extra power replacement spring. But if you buy a 20" 590A1 the magazine tube is a solid one piece assembly you don't need to worry about aftermarket parts or barrel clamps. And as I said, a 20" 590A1 has the best magazine capacity of any tactical shotgun on the market.

ScrappyDoo
11-12-2011, 12:12
The M590A1 is to me, one of the absolute best looking, toughest as nails, and best working weapons on the planet- I will absolutely own one someday.

officerjohnson
11-12-2011, 19:42
I think the Mossberg 590a1 is the best choice of you prefer to have a traditional stock. If you prefer pistol grip stocks then the Remington 870 makes more sense. A Mossberg 590 safety is very hard to use with a pistol grip stock. They are both reliable and time tested weapons, both share the top spot for best defense pump action shotgun. I dont think you can say one is better than the other, they are both equal, some will prefer the feel and controls over the other, at least we have the difficult choice of choosing from one of these two excellent weapon sytems. I am only speaking about the 870 police vs. the Mossberg 590a1. The remington 870 express is inferior to the Mossberg 590a1. The 590a1 and 870 Police are both pretty equal, personal preference will decide which one feels better to you.

r3dot
11-12-2011, 19:59
Next question: Ghost ring sights or traditional bead sights? Ghost rings & speedfeed stock add ~$50

megawatt
11-12-2011, 20:48
My main reasoning for wanting the a1 is simply due to the 9 round capacity, but, is it worth the extra from the 500 tactical...

Don't forget you can also get an additional 4 shells of capacity if you go with the speed feed stock model of the A1. Everything stays nice and tucked in a streamlined configuration while carrying 13 shells. Now thats a zombie gun for you.:wow:

If you have the coin for the A1 and it sounds like you "want it" then get it and know that your going to have a great gun that will out last you. The A1's are over built and a serious piece of equipment. The long and heavy barrel is something you can feel the difference in, so if your into multiple days of training with it your going to notice the extra barrel weight and length. If you are into occasional range days where you shoot for an hour then go home your not going to notice it at all.

The 500 tactical is lighter and less $$. The A1 will definately cost more, heck my A1 cost than my 930SPX autoloader!

It sounds like you want the A1 and that is not a bad thing at all. Post pics when you get it.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p310/joe800mw/guns/IMG_2029.jpg

r3dot
11-12-2011, 21:21
Those look awesome!

I looked at the 930 (why'd your a1 cost more?), and if a good deal comes out on one, I may just get one instead.

RedneckRampage
11-12-2011, 23:14
I have an 870P, I'm use to them, and love them. Mine has Ghost Rings, if I was to buy a new gun, I would not get them. A HD shotgun dosent need them in my opinion. I've felt the 590s and really like them too. I may buy one someday. They *seem* as tough as I KNOW an 870P is. I would not buy a 500 except as a novelty, not a gun to depend on for anything. They seem and feel cheap. Mine was pretty ruff and didn't look like quality workmanship. I don't think you'd go wrong with a 590 or 590A1, and I'd advise a bead only. In a gun that may be used in your house, I'd buy the shortest barrel you can. If you need 8 or 9 shots in your house, you have big problems!

r3dot
11-12-2011, 23:16
The 9 shots are for the zombies. I can't afford an AR!

Gribble
11-12-2011, 23:18
Got an early birthday present........:supergrin:

http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj475/Cansler_Tactical/Mossy_930_SPX_1.jpg

http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj475/Cansler_Tactical/Mossy_930_SPX_2.jpg

officerjohnson
11-13-2011, 01:13
Next question: Ghost ring sights or traditional bead sights? Ghost rings & speedfeed stock add ~$50

If you plan on using the Shotgun only indoors in your house then you dont need Ghost Rings. But if you are interested in shooting slugs and buckshot at longer distances in tactical situations you will wish you had ghost rings. You can get tritium posts for you front site that will illuminate at night, Ghost rings are also great for home Defense. Ghost rings will only give your Shotgun more versatility and capabilities, it wont hinder it or take anything away. Ghost rings are just as fast to use for HD, and much better for distances.

megawatt
11-13-2011, 01:20
Those look awesome!

I looked at the 930 (why'd your a1 cost more?), and if a good deal comes out on one, I may just get one instead.

Just got a good deal on the new SPX I guess. It was $655 out the door (gun, tax, shipping, and NICS fee). Not bad when MSRP for just the gun alone is $734 for the model I have.

Gribble
11-13-2011, 08:21
Just got a good deal on the new SPX I guess. It was $655 out the door (gun, tax, shipping, and NICS fee). Not bad when MSRP for just the gun alone is $734 for the model I have.
I got mine out the door for $589.00 :cool: Gotta love living 30 minutes from the largest in stock dealer in the state.........:supergrin:

r3dot
11-13-2011, 10:50
Thoughts on this one? I found it through an online dealer listed as just a 590, but the a1 was the only one that came with ghost ring sights. Unsure of the model #, or even size. Under $300

http://i43.tinypic.com/df990.jpg

mongo356
11-13-2011, 12:24
I think thats the #50663. I have that shotgun and it works well.

Thinner barrel but that makes it easier to carry. Comes with a plastic trigger guard and safety button. I did buy a metal safety button from Midwayusa for my 500 & 590. I have seen a couple of the safety buttons break, the trigger housing I'm not worried about they seem robust, & well I shoot Glocks :supergrin:

It shoots most slugs well. The trick I have found the ammo itself makes more of a difference in accuracy. Hornady TAP or Federal w/Fightcontrol for buck shot.

Lately I have been shooting Fiocchi reduced recoil cause i'm a wuss and it shoots well.

Here are a coupe of targets- *they are low left and I changed the sights because I was using different ammo and switched requiring a sight change*

Either way you go they are great shotguns.

r3dot
11-13-2011, 12:28
Cool, thanks. If it's just a regular 590, I'll just find a bead sight 590 with heat shield for a few bucks more that's NIB.

ScrappyDoo
11-13-2011, 17:05
GREAT LOOKING M930SPX, Great looking M590A1's... awww yeah baby.

r3dot
11-13-2011, 21:41
Looks like I'll probably pick up a 590a1 w/ ghost ring sights for $450. Seems that's about as cheap as I can get it.

Johnnyvegas
11-14-2011, 01:37
Looks like I'll probably pick up a 590a1 w/ ghost ring sights for $450. Seems that's about as cheap as I can get it.

Love my 590 A1 (18.5, ghost ring sights), love the handiness of the shorter Hogue stock. Don't love punching myself in the nose with my right thumb every time I forget my face is two inches closer to the reciever, I think I may go back to the 14 inch speedfeed it came with YMMV!

John

Victoriagotagun
11-14-2011, 09:28
Love my 590 A1 (18.5, ghost ring sights), love the handiness of the shorter Hogue stock. Don't love punching myself in the nose with my right thumb every time I forget my face is two inches closer to the reciever, I think I may go back to the 14 inch speedfeed it came with YMMV!

John

Don't wrap your thumb around the stock and you won't have that problem.

fuzzy03cls
11-14-2011, 11:29
The 590A1 can be purchased with 18.5 or 20" barrels. I have the 18.5. Honestly I was not looking for a shotgun but I came across a local seller that had a brand new one with the GRS for $375. I had the cash & said f it.
I only have 5+1, but it's more then I need. I switched out the stock for a Houge, but it was still to long. I added the Blackhawk knoxx recoil reducing stock & that fit me perfect. The safety is harder to reach now but it don't matter to me as my finger in my safety.
I have ran 120 rds without a problem, & just run a boresnake down the barrel to clean it.

Big Bird
11-14-2011, 16:38
If you plan on using the Shotgun only indoors in your house then you dont need Ghost Rings. But if you are interested in shooting slugs and buckshot at longer distances in tactical situations you will wish you had ghost rings. You can get tritium posts for you front site that will illuminate at night, Ghost rings are also great for home Defense. Ghost rings will only give your Shotgun more versatility and capabilities, it wont hinder it or take anything away. Ghost rings are just as fast to use for HD, and much better for distances.

If I was using an AR would you give me the same advice?

If not why?

DaBigBR
11-14-2011, 20:42
I have the 18.5. Honestly I was not looking for a shotgun but I came across a local seller that had a brand new one with the GRS for $375. I had the cash & said f it.
I only have 5+1, but it's more then I need. I switched out the stock for a Houge, but it was still to long. I added the Blackhawk knoxx recoil reducing stock & that fit me perfect. The safety is harder to reach now but it don't matter to me as my finger in my safety.
I have ran 120 rds without a problem, & just run a boresnake down the barrel to clean it.

If you WANT to increase capacity, Choate makes an extension that is flush with the 18.5" barrel. They claim it to be a +1, but if you retain the stock follower, it will give you 7+1.

officerjohnson
11-15-2011, 01:34
If I was using an AR would you give me the same advice?

If not why?

You could convert your AR to a bead sight if you were only interested in using your AR inside your home, it wouldnt hurt any, it wouldnt help either.

schild
11-15-2011, 06:08
I have the 590a1 with the ghost ring sights with the 20" barrel. Just keep in mind with the milspec heavy barrel its heavier than the 870. I also needed to switch out the factory stock for the 12" Hogue. Before I did it was uncomfortable for me to shoulder and I'm 6'. Now that I did that I'm loving it. Patterns really nice out of the box. I'm still toying with getting it Vang Comp'd, but thats just me. If you decide to buy it you won't be sorry.

+1, the speedfeed stock is TOO BIG, it's just plain hard to shoulder the weapon with this stock. I'll be getting the Hogue.

Big Bird
11-15-2011, 07:38
You could convert your AR to a bead sight if you were only interested in using your AR inside your home, it wouldnt hurt any, it wouldnt help either.

Really?

Tell me, what are the key components of "pointing" a shotgun well? What I mean by that is how must a shotgun be held and fired in order to be accurate with it at close range? I think we all understand that at under ten yards a shotgun is not better than a pistol or rifle in terms of the shot pattern--the pattern is so small that shot dispersion means very little at those ranges and so shot placement is as critical as using a rifle or pistol. But what are the elements of a good shotgun "point"....if you will.