Totally off topic... time for an infraction I guess. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Totally off topic... time for an infraction I guess.

GioaJack
11-11-2011, 12:45
Nope, it's not about loading, shooting, casting, mysteriously detonating primers, the evils of Titegroup powder or even about the lovely ladies that frequent Friday night dancing... it's about something we should all spend at least a few moments reflecting on today, be it safe, alone an comfortable in our homes, or explaining to a child what others have sacrificed to afford them the opportunities they may take for granted... or bent solemnly on one knee at a national cemetery as tears mark the gravesite of a parent who earned the recognition this day commemorates.

Today is Veterans Day, a time when, without embarrassment, hesitation or partisan leanings we should realize that what we were, what we are and what we will become we owe to those who sacrifice to preserve our freedoms.

To those who have worn the uniform and to those who still do... we owe you a debt that we can never repay. Perhaps a good start would be to offer a sincere THANK YOU.

Although I lack the literary talent of expressing heartfelt thoughts in a meaningful and cognizant manner I do, on occasion, make an attempt. The below link is something I wrote last year and would like to think that as my mortality looms even larger on the horizon my admiration and respect for these men grows with that certainty. Read it if you wish... or not.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/blog.php?b=97

Okay, Eric, or Vote Republican... I'll accept my infraction without argument or complaint.

A solemn and respectful Veterans Day to everyone.

Jack

TN.Frank
11-11-2011, 12:55
I fly the Flag everyday at my house and will until our Troops come home so Everyday is pretty much Veterans Day around here. God Bless and Keep our Troops and to those who serve and are reading this Thank You and Stay Safe.

Shadyscott69
11-11-2011, 12:58
Excellent post Jack.

Heroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags

rpgman
11-11-2011, 13:09
Great Post Jack!

Thanks to all the Vets for what they do and have done.
Greg

trcubed
11-11-2011, 13:14
Amen, brother.

To the contrary...you seem to have a good slathering of literary talent, Jack. That was very well said.

fredj338
11-11-2011, 13:24
As usual, well done Jack.

PCJim
11-11-2011, 14:55
Many thanks to you, Jack, as well as to all the other Veterans of our wonderful country.

THE FLAG flies proudly at my home, too.

unclebob
11-11-2011, 16:28
I fly the Flag everyday at my house and will until our Troops come home so Everyday is pretty much Veterans Day around here. God Bless and Keep our Troops and to those who serve and are reading this Thank You and Stay Safe.

At war or at peace, some of our troops are always deployed somewhere in this world. :patriot:

wdphillips
11-11-2011, 16:30
Thanks for your service Jack and all of the other "reloading vets" out there!

Jack, I read your Blog post from last year. Very well done!

norton
11-11-2011, 19:11
Happy Veterans day to you Jack.

Hogpauls
11-11-2011, 22:47
Thanks Jack! You underestimate your literary talent.

JuneyBooney
11-11-2011, 22:50
:drillsgt::patriot:Happy Veterans Day.

IndyGunFreak
11-12-2011, 03:39
Little late, was busy yesterday... I found something kinda sad though. Thursday, I realized I needed to get a copy of my Birth Cert.... so I called the local office of the Indiana Health Department, to find out what time they opened on Monday (it was about 4:15 Thursday). Guy says, we're open tomorrow 8-5. I figured this was a slip on this guys part, and told him that "tomorrow is veterans day"... He says, "Yeah, I know.. we're open 8-5."

This is one holiday, I really don't like the private sector making folks work, but I found it especially sad that non-essential Govt offices were open.

Thanks for your service Jack and everyone else....

IGF

FLSlim
11-12-2011, 12:43
A keeper, Jack.

SCmasterblaster
11-12-2011, 14:00
Well done Jack!

USN 1974-80

Clemsum
11-12-2011, 17:38
Read the linked post for the first time.

Eloquent Expression of the meaning of the day.

Thanks for the message, Clemsum

WiskyT
11-13-2011, 17:29
I was very fortunate to have "met" one of America's best friends. It may be a cliche', but this guy is exactly like these Heroes are described, humble. I thanked him for what he did for our country, and he replied (paraphrasing) "That's what we do". When he said "we" he pointed to me! To him, there was no difference between him and I.

I wasn't familiar with the specifics of his actions, but I knew what the medal around his neck stood for. I had a hard time at that point getting my name out for him to put on his poster along with his signature so I just held up my NRA credential. I've been very fortunate to see and do some of the things I have in my life. The two or three minutes I spent with Sergeant First Class Sammy L. Davis is clearly one of the most memorable.

The Citation is an understatement of what he actually did:

The President of the United States
in the name of The Congress
takes pleasure in presenting the
Medal of Honor
to

DAVIS, SAMMY L.

Rank and organization: Sergeant, U.S. Army, Battery C, 2d Battalion, 4th Artillery, 9th Infantry Division. Place and date: West of Cai Lay, Republic of Vietnam, 18 November 1967. Entered service at: Indianapolis, Ind. Born: 1 November 1946, Dayton, Ohio.
Citation:
For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life and beyond the call of duty. Sgt. Davis (then Pfc.) distinguished himself during the early morning hours while serving as a cannoneer with Battery C, at a remote fire support base. At approximately 0200 hours, the fire support base was under heavy enemy mortar attack. Simultaneously, an estimated reinforced Viet Cong battalion launched a fierce ground assault upon the fire support base. The attacking enemy drove to within 25 meters of the friendly positions. Only a river separated the Viet Cong from the fire support base. Detecting a nearby enemy position, Sgt. Davis seized a machinegun and provided covering fire for his guncrew, as they attempted to bring direct artillery fire on the enemy. Despite his efforts, an enemy recoilless rifle round scored a direct hit upon the artillery piece. The resultant blast hurled the guncrew from their weapon and blew Sgt. Davis into a foxhole. He struggled to his feet and returned to the howitzer, which was burning furiously. Ignoring repeated warnings to seek cover, Sgt. Davis rammed a shell into the gun. Disregarding a withering hail of enemy fire directed against his position, he aimed and fired the howitzer which rolled backward, knocking Sgt. Davis violently to the ground. Undaunted, he returned to the weapon to fire again when an enemy mortar round exploded within 20 meters of his position, injuring him painfully. Nevertheless, Sgt. Davis loaded the artillery piece, aimed and fired. Again he was knocked down by the recoil. In complete disregard for his safety, Sgt. Davis loaded and fired 3 more shells into the enemy. Disregarding his extensive injuries and his inability to swim, Sgt. Davis picked up an air mattress and struck out across the deep river to rescue 3 wounded comrades on the far side. Upon reaching the 3 wounded men, he stood upright and fired into the dense vegetation to prevent the Viet Cong from advancing. While the most seriously wounded soldier was helped across the river, Sgt. Davis protected the 2 remaining casualties until he could pull them across the river to the fire support base. Though suffering from painful wounds, he refused medical attention, joining another howitzer crew which fired at the large Viet Cong force until it broke contact and fled. Sgt. Davis' extraordinary heroism, at the risk of his life, are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself and the U.S. Army.

Citation Courtesy of www.HomeOfHeroes.com

Copyright 1999-2011 by HomeOfHeroes.com
300 Yoakum Parkway, # 504 - Alexandria, VA 22304
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee460/Wiskyt/0515001223.jpg

WiskyT
11-13-2011, 18:41
What he doesn't mention here is that he is a good swimmer. The reason he couldn't swim over the river is because his artillary piece had landed on him and broke his back.

:patriot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOWBw7muH9M