Cutting Edge of Second Amendment Issues? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Edge of Second Amendment Issues?

unit1069
11-11-2011, 15:54
I'm certainly not the most qualified person to ask these questions so I want to solicit everyone's opinion.

Bullet technology has advanced in leaps and bounds over the past twenty-five years, giving static ammunition design a good kick in the rear. Creative minds have narrowed the differences between duty caliber terminal statistics to the degree that people today have strong opinions about "the best of the best" caliber/ammo combinations that are seemingly never ending.

It's occurred to me that with the US Supreme Court and state confirmation of individual Second Amendment rights/CCW state laws the dramatic increase in the number of people choosing to exercise their individual constitutional rights has spawned a corresponding increase in holster choices. For me this proliferation in holster design and creativity corresponds to that of bullet technology.

My questions are 1) what is your preferred choice in OWB and IWB holsters (please specify gun and holster) and, 2) who do you think are the most creative minds/companies working in this field?

slama683
11-12-2011, 00:44
1. OWB for me usually equals a Safariland 6004 duty holster, as dictated by my employer. I don't typically carry openly when off-duty, but on the rare times I do, it is a Glock 30 in a Safariland SLS style holster

2. IWB Glock 27 in a leather Bianchi holster, I think called the Professional.

I don't usually look for cutting edge holsters, I stick to what I know and is established.

xmanhockey7
11-12-2011, 01:10
I don't carry IWB but most swear by the Crossbreed Supertuck or the Galco King tuck. For OWB I use the Serpa CQC holster for my Glock 22 and SA XDm 3.8 compact. I do like to carry in a Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster.

DWARREN123
11-12-2011, 08:27
I like the Don Jume 715 series for both my G22 and G20. Simple holster that works well for me.

PAGunner
11-12-2011, 09:02
Tucker Leather IWB Texas Herritage is a good holster. OWB I like the Blackhawk Serpa (I don't OC, it's for around the house carry). And I have a thunderwear holster, galco ankle holster and a galco pocket holster for my snubbie.

I never use the ankle holster by itself, but if I'm wearing jeans, the .38 will be worn there as a BUG sometimes, but I prefer pocket carry, even when the .38 is on BUG duty.

SCmasterblaster
11-12-2011, 14:53
For my CC, I go IWB no holster G17 17 rounds WW115gr +p+ loads. All secure, even when running.

myanof
11-12-2011, 15:52
First of all I have no idea what the title of your post means.

Colt Series 70 1911-Gary Brommeland Max Con V
http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz316/myanof/DSCN0898.jpg

S&W M&P 45C-MTAC Comptac
http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz316/myanof/DSCN1003.jpg

imjustron
11-12-2011, 15:56
IWB is Comp-tac MTAC, OWB is Comp-tac Gladiator. Like most here I've tried a bunch and have quite a collection, but these are the ones I use daily.

unit1069
11-12-2011, 18:37
First of all I have no idea what the title of your post means.

I hope the following explains it better.

Bullet technology has narrowed the differences in caliber effectiveness over the past 25 years. One could legitimately claim that bullet technology is the "cutting edge" of handgun terminal ballistics.

In the same vein, with the passage of state CCW laws and recognition of the individual Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms, we now have carry options with a multitude of holster choices. Not all holsters are created equal any more than all bullets are. In fact, a very brief demo and explanation by a gun show holster dealer indicated to me a slight but vast difference in the design and versatility of one very popular holster versus another very popular holster. This guy had no dog in the fight since he sold both but what he explained to me opened my eyes to the conception of "cutting edge" CCW holster design.

myanof
11-12-2011, 20:58
I hope the following explains it better.

Bullet technology has narrowed the differences in caliber effectiveness over the past 25 years. One could legitimately claim that bullet technology is the "cutting edge" of handgun terminal ballistics.

In the same vein, with the passage of state CCW laws and recognition of the individual Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms, we now have carry options with a multitude of holster choices. Not all holsters are created equal any more than all bullets are. In fact, a very brief demo and explanation by a gun show holster dealer indicated to me a slight but vast difference in the design and versatility of one very popular holster versus another very popular holster. This guy had no dog in the fight since he sold both but what he explained to me opened my eyes to the conception of "cutting edge" CCW holster design.

OK, I've got it. I find that holsters are extremely subjective, and that's why you see a lot of guys who have drawers full of holster in an attempt to find the right one. I try to find the smoothest and thinnest IWB holster I can find.

I am very pleased with the holsters I have pictured. This is my first hybred, and I see why they are so popular.

TurboRocket
11-13-2011, 06:51
This guy had no dog in the fight since he sold both but what he explained to me opened my eyes to the conception of "cutting edge" CCW holster design.

Please share your insights.

If we are talking about holster innovation, I'll add these:

Tucker Gunleather - IIRC, they were one of the firsts, if not the first, to produce a hybrid holster - The Answer
Comp-Tac, for marketing Minotaur's changeable bodies
Comp-Tac's CTAC was innovative in it's time
Brommeland for their tail on the Max Con V
Raven Concealment
Remora
I'll throw in guys like Tommy Theis and Kwart, for "innovating" order-to-delivery time. Their product was similar to what was on the market, but they saw a niche and filled it.
MIC holster
SmartCarry
Whoever made the belly band first

beforeobamabans
11-13-2011, 08:31
I will second Myanof's endorsement of Gary Brommeland's work IWB or OWB. He produces the finest handcrafted leather products with unique design elements that improve functionality. You will stop looking for holsters after purchasing one of his products. Read through his website, then give him a call.

Kodiak Ken
11-13-2011, 13:41
I've had a concealed carry permit for about 15 years and tried a lot of holsters during that time. I hate to think how much I've spent on holsters over the years. My current favorite and daily IWB holster is a "Silent Thunder" made by Garrett Industries.
http://garrettindustries.mybigcommerce.com/products/Silent-Thunder-IWB.html

The Silent Thunder is a kydex holster lined with leather. Thinner than a normal leather holster and none of the noise you get with an all kydex holster (the 'pop' or 'click' when withdraw the gun).

One thing I like on an IWB holster is a clip that goes over the belt making it easy to put on and take off. And finally, use a good quality belt.

quinnt
11-13-2011, 14:08
OWB CQC Blackhawk Serpa all black no fancy carbon fiber

IWB Comp tac MTAC

Both for a glock 21

unit1069
11-13-2011, 15:04
Please share your insights.

I can't say I have insights; I did mention that I'm not the most qualified to discuss holsters. I have recently come to the realization that there's a whole lot of different areas of self-defense and any one of them might come into critical play in a potential life-or-death encounter against a criminal aggressor. Most of my spare funds in the past few years have gone into searching for the right JHP self-defense ammo and at this point I think I've got quite an excellent roster of proven rounds for the two calibers I own. My focus is beginning to turn towards other areas of self-defense, thus my OP thread.

I have three pistols I CCW; a compact, a sub-compact, and a small micro 9mm. The Glock has a wide range of holster options and for OWB I have been satisfied with a Fobus adjustable cant pancake and the Glock Sport/Combat.

Until recently I normally CCW'd the micro 9mm but I got exasperated with its finicky reliability and long trigger pull so decided to keep it for only those situations where I need to have something that's easily concealed. I'll add here that I've never been involved in any real or developing shooting situation so just having a firearm on me that's 95% reliable is a comforting feeling. Anyway, with this micro 9mm I always carry IWB and have had the best luck with a cheap (under $10) nylon belt hook holster that I surgically altered with an Exacto knife.

The pistol that now gets the most CCW time is a Steyr S9-A1 and finding a holster made specifically for the odd muzzle shape isn't easy where I live. Trying to go by photos or descriptions isn't good enough for me and I don't want to end up with a drawer full of discarded items that just weren't the right fit. I have no OWB holster for this pistol, save for another cheap (under $10) nylon retention strap rig that I also took the Exacto knife to it. Since I didn't know what the hell I was doing I lucked out in that for OWB both the Steyr and Glock fit perfectly with just the forward cant I like. It's hard to get luckier than that.

I currently have a Remora for both the Glock and Steyr and they are proving to be excellent, affordable, versatile IWB holsters. What impresses me is the creative imagination of the material used and the way that material stays put with a tight waistband, either with belt or without. The cheap, surgically-altered OWB retention strap holster works great for the Steyr but at this point I've been thinking I might look for a good IWB/OWB leather holster. I don't particularly like having to fiddle with a strap but I'm torn between wanting a good quality IWB/OWB holster for an odd-shaped pistol and the knowledge that if I carry OWB the Glock goes to the top of the duty list.

Never Nervous
11-15-2011, 20:45
In fact, a very brief demo and explanation by a gun show holster dealer indicated to me a slight but vast difference in the design and versatility of one very popular holster versus another very popular holster. This guy had no dog in the fight since he sold both but what he explained to me opened my eyes to the conception of "cutting edge" CCW holster design.

Interesting observation. Care to share the explanation?

NN

unit1069
11-17-2011, 23:25
Interesting observation. Care to share the explanation?

Don't mean to start another holster debate, but since you asked ...

The dealer sold both Crossbreed and CompTac. He demonstrated both holsters with a plastic Glock compact model, explaining that the first thing a Crossbreed owner has to do is cut away a good amount of leather in order to achieve a good grasp on the gun. CompTac, on the other hand, is made with that area free of material and comes already properly designed for a proper grasp.

Like I said, he sold both and the price was either identical or within $5. It made an impression on me.

Never Nervous
11-20-2011, 14:15
Makes sense. Thanks.

NN