New issue Colt barrel failure [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New issue Colt barrel failure

Retired Squid
11-12-2011, 06:53
I went to my local gun club to continue the breaking in of my Colt Delta Elite 10mm, set up target and loaded a full magazine. When I fired the fifth round the slide locked partially open and I cleared gun (removed magazine) to check out the problem. Just looking at gun I saw nothing indicating a problem but noticed what looked like a scratch on the top of the barrel, so being a little upset I just packed up and came home to get the gun apart and see if something had broken. After cleaning the barrel I discovered it was crack and not scratched, barrel was cracked on top from breach to muzzle and it had scorch the slide inside above the barrel.

This happened while shooting factory WW 175 gr Silvertips, which have never seemed as loud or as heavy recoiling as even Remington target ammo. This gun has a rather low round count, I have only shot two 50 round boxes of Remington 170 gr target ammo, two 20 round boxes WW Silvertips that were about 4 years old and 5 rounds from this box that was about 1 or 2 years old. The gun was cleaned after last use and barrel inspected as always, no issues noticed. While shooting I heard or felt nothing unusual on the fifth round, no squib or hot load sound. I had 5 nice shots to the target then slide jammed about 3/4 or more open and last fired round ejected properly. I have done a minor cleaning of barrel and wipe of slide to check it, wished I had not done that now as it may have aided in your investigation of the incident.

This has really shaken my faith in the new Colt guns, when its repaired I will have to run four or five hundred rounds through it before using it for personal defense or hunting. I guess I am back to my S&W 3 629 44 magnum to carry now.

MarineHawk
11-12-2011, 07:06
I went to my local gun club to continue the breaking in of my Colt Delta Elite 10mm, set up target and loaded a full magazine. When I fired the fifth round the slide locked partially open and I cleared gun (removed magazine) to check out the problem. Just looking at gun I saw nothing indicating a problem but noticed what looked like a scratch on the top of the barrel, so being a little upset I just packed up and came home to get the gun apart and see if something had broken. After cleaning the barrel I discovered it was crack and not scratched, barrel was cracked on top from breach to muzzle and it had scorch the slide inside above the barrel.

This happened while shooting factory WW 175 gr Silvertips, which have never seemed as loud or as heavy recoiling as even Remington target ammo. This gun has a rather low round count, I have only shot two 50 round boxes of Remington 170 gr target ammo, two 20 round boxes WW Silvertips that were about 4 years old and 5 rounds from this box that was about 1 or 2 years old. The gun was cleaned after last use and barrel inspected as always, no issues noticed. While shooting I heard or felt nothing unusual on the fifth round, no squib or hot load sound. I had 5 nice shots to the target then slide jammed about 3/4 or more open and last fired round ejected properly. I have done a minor cleaning of barrel and wipe of slide to check it, wished I had not done that now as it may have aided in your investigation of the incident.

This has really shaken my faith in the new Colt guns, when its repaired I will have to run four or five hundred rounds through it before using it for personal defense or hunting. I guess I am back to my S&W 3 629 44 magnum to carry now.

Sorry about the problem Squid. Can you post pics?

Going from that problem to a S&W revolver is like going from the frying pan into the fire. Just kidding. Sort of.

Retired Squid
11-12-2011, 08:03

Going from that problem to a S&W revolver is like going from the frying pan into the fire. Just kidding. Sort of.

Not sure my cheap Kodak digital camera can get good picture, I hope to borrow a friends Nikon today.

Well I'll probably carry my Sig 238 more then usual, but the 629 has had a reliability work over by me and at close range it will put the Colt to shame with the big 240 gr slugs. But it prints lot more then the Colt, but at least the muzzle isn't poking it hear out from under my shirt all the time. :shocked:

Jitterbug
11-12-2011, 08:48
That is really a bummer Squid, I'd be on the horn to Colt as soon as possible.

If you post on one of the 1911 forums I'd be doing that too, to get any info from the internet hive if you will.

In over 10+ years of internet gun forums, I've never heard of such an issue with any any Colt and the loads you mentioned wouldn't have anything to do with anything, never heard of a 170 gr. Remington target load though, maybe you meant 180?

On the other hand and not to bash Smith, I've picked up three new ones in just the last 2 years, the most recent a 4" 629-6, but, I've heard of many S&W issues including cracked forcing cones and various other barrel issues.

My 629 needs to go back for some minor repair, one being a cylinder that sticks on two chambers, it did so right out of the box. Probably an easy fix, but I want them to look at a couple of other things while it's back at the factory.

My 442 and M&P9c have been running fine so far, no complaints, but the 442/642 has a reputation of coming unglued. One reason I went with new S&W is the lifetime warranty.

Whatever is wrong I'm sure Colt will get you fixed up pronto, their latest guns and customer service is considered to be the very best in decades. Please keep us posted.

Again, bummer man, I know what it's like when new guns break, bummer, bummer.

Retired Squid
11-12-2011, 09:16
You are right they are 180 grain, not sure why I had 170 on the brain. Senility raised it's ugly head I guess. :whistling:

I've posted it three places on the net and have called Colt.

One thing about Smith is they pay shipping both ways, Colt doesn't.

My guess is a internal crack/flay in barrel. Wonder if they make their own barrels or buy them from someone?

Jitterbug
11-12-2011, 09:20
Not sure about their barrel maker...but this is a serious, unusual issue, even though you might have to pay the freight, I'd certainly express my concerns and might hint that some extra mags or some custom work would help ease my pain.

I'm sure the Colt guy's on the forums will have plenty of advise by Monday morning.

Retired Squid
11-12-2011, 09:32
I almost 50 years of shooting Colt 1911's and other brands I have never seen this happen, not even on other type of guns.

My first post above is a basic copy of the letter in the box to go back with the gun, hope they do give it a perk or two and I may ask it in the letter.

Jitterbug
11-12-2011, 09:36
I would, no reason for a new Colt to do this....it's gotta be a fluke and I'd like to think, they would think so too. I hear the Delta Mags are good quality, 2, 3 or 4 of them would certainly help to ease the pain and of course so wouldn't free shipping.

I'd also ask for their "expert" explanation of what happened after they examine the pistol, since your confidence in the system is rightly shaken.

It never hurts to nicely ask.

Retired Squid
11-12-2011, 09:44
I may just do that, but more interested in restoring the gun and my faith in Colt.

Jitterbug
11-12-2011, 09:48
I'm over on the Colt forum now...there is a guy over there having issues with a new Commander.

Colt contacted me and I gave them a call. Brent @ Colt sent me Prepaid label to get the issue corrected. Brent was polite and very prompt at his customer service. I will keep everyone posted on it.

If it were me, I'd go over there and hunt this Brent guy down and PM him...

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=337039

That 1911 site has been a big, big help to me over the years.

_The_Shadow
11-12-2011, 09:59
Dead gumit, Squid! I hope that Colt gets things straightened out and makes it right for you! Best regards!

4949shooter
11-12-2011, 10:27
Wow this stinks. I am hoping it is just a fluke, and a new barrel provided by Colt will take care of the problem.

inspectorjj
11-12-2011, 19:42
This one post has just put me off from getting a new Colt Delta Elite. I guess I'm going to spend the extra bucks on the DW Razorback. Not only do I not want to have problems with my gun; I don't want to know that someone else had problems with a gun like mine.

Retired Squid
11-12-2011, 20:34
This one post has just put me off from getting a new Colt Delta Elite. I guess I'm going to spend the extra bucks on the DW Razorback. Not only do I not want to have problems with my gun; I don't want to know that someone else had problems with a gun like mine.

Well let me say this, I think it could have been a Razorback or Fusion 10mm split a barrel if the supplier of the barrel or barrel blank has let a improper forging get by them some how. What upset me is the psychology of the event. One must remember nothing made by man is perfect,

Just remember that Colt DE is a basic no frills combat weapon, it's not built tight to be target gun accurate, just reliable up close and personal. The RZ10 is not a combat gun , it's a very tight to be accurate target/hunting weapon. Problems come with these guns when we have unrealistic expiations.

So make your mind up which you want, something you carry as a man stopper and careless if it gets scratched when dropped or gets holster ware. Or a high end target/hunting gun that you take better care of it then yourself.

faawrenchbndr
11-13-2011, 06:57

How can you be sure the DW Razorback is going to be better than a Colt?

Retired Squid
11-13-2011, 07:15
How can you be sure the DW Razorback is going to be better than a Colt?

He's right you know. The only difference is the hand fitting, tuning, match barrel along with some fancy high end parts from Ed Brown.

faawrenchbndr
11-13-2011, 07:54
Yes, I realize there is a BIG difference! However, a manufactured product
is a manufactured product! A DW may be no better than a Colt.

glock_19guy1983
11-13-2011, 08:07

Ive seen two bullets stacked in the barrel of a 625 at an IDPA match. They had to be driven out with a wood dowel. There was no damage to the revolver. While those results may not be typical I was impressed.

Jitterbug
11-13-2011, 08:08
He's right you know. The only difference is the hand fitting, tuning, match barrel along with some fancy high end parts from Ed Brown.

Bingo!

I think what happened with this barrel is a fluke, which could happen to any gun made by anyone and I'm betting Colt will get it sorted out.

Retired Squid
11-13-2011, 08:09
Yes, I realize there is a BIG difference! However, a manufactured product
is a manufactured product! A DW may be no better than a Colt.Hope you didn't think I was talking to you.....I think. Sometimes if I forget to look back to see who wrote what and I screw up my comments. :dunno:

inspectorjj
11-13-2011, 13:33
To all who answered my post. I have a Glock 20 with a target barrel and a 6" hunting barrel with over $500 bucks in upgrades that I have made reliable by information that I have found on here from my friends. Colt Delta Elites have had problems in the past that they have been recalled for such as a cracked frame. I understand all guns are not perfect. I need the basic muscle, after that, I will make it perfect. This may be an isolated incident which will go into my memory files. I don't have a lot of posts and I don't shoot a lot of paper. I listen, I watch, I learn. If you are criticizing me for that, then so be it.

P.S. Every round that I shoot is over 800 lbs. of energy.