After a YEAR, Finally... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : After a YEAR, Finally...

G22DaD
11-12-2011, 09:49
...My wife is going for her carry permit. She's taking the Handgun Safety Course today. She's kinda nervous. I'm sure she'll be fine. I've tried to work with her some, whenever she'd let me.

I'm pretty stoked about her finally getting to send some rounds down range! Hopefully, she'll let me hang out with her @ the range and train. But, then again... I always preferred to train alone, maybe she would too. We'll see.

usmc4641
11-12-2011, 10:01
While you may prefer to train alone, she will be your first line of back up and vice versa should something happen at home. Get to know each others' firearms and capabilities with them.

G22DaD
11-12-2011, 11:09
usmc4641,
Absolutely man.. I hear ya. I definately believe in the " Two is one, one is none" idea. I guess, I just need to take my time so she'll be comfortable with me. She's still pretty self conscious right now. She's one of those folks that seems to be good at whatever she chooses to do, y'know? This is a little further outside of her comfort zone. I'm no stranger to that feeling either. I'll continue to encourage her and continually invite her to go to the range with me whenever I train. I think we'll have fun! Have a great day!

ithaca_deerslayer
11-14-2011, 11:54
I guess, I just need to take my time so she'll be comfortable with me. She's still pretty self conscious right now. She's one of those folks that seems to be good at whatever she chooses to do, y'know? This is a little further outside of her comfort zone. I'm no stranger to that feeling either. I'll continue to encourage her and continually invite her to go to the range with me whenever I train. I think we'll have fun! Have a great day!

Ok, I'll relay some personal observations of other people I've seen. This has nothing to do with you, because I don't know you.

In general, men can't teach their wives. Can't teach them skiing. Can't teach them shooting.

First problem is, the average guy doesn't know how to teach. He may know about something like a gun, and how to shoot it, or at least thinks he does. But he doesn't know how to teach.

For the guy who can teach well, perhaps because he's trained as a teacher, he still probably can't teach his wife. They've got a lot of baggage between them that tends to get in the way.

Therefore, perhaps consider finding some NRA pistol instructor that she might want to learn from. Might even be another woman. Or could be a man. But not you :tongueout:

No guarentee that the first instructor you find will work out. But it is a start, and your odds of finding good instruction increase if you seek someone who has experience teaching people like your wife :)

Toorop
11-15-2011, 02:08
Take a look around this website:

www.corneredcat.com

The site is run by a female who shoots a lot. She has a lot of great advice for men in regards to women and shooting. She also has a lot of great advice for women who are interested in shooting as well as self defense.

It is really worth the time to browse there and read the articles.