Shotgun choke fun [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun choke fun

norton
11-12-2011, 11:23
Beautiful day at the range this a.m. Sun was shining, the birds were singing-couldn't hear them though cause I had my ear plugs in.
Anyway, I thought I would experiment with the screw in chokes that came with my 12 gauge Remington Competition Master shotgun. I also shot my 870 Remington with the 18 1/2 inch barrel.
Firing 9 pellet Fiocchi buck shot rounds, at 7 yards.
Seven yards.
Thats 21 feet for you people not blessed to live in Gods country.
Jack, are you listening?:supergrin:

1. Modified cylinder
2. Rifled choke.
My photo of the Improved cylinder didn't turn out, but as you might guess it was wider pattern still.
My 870 had a still wider pattern then the Competition Master with Improved cylinder. Of course it has a shorter barrel.
My question to you reloading gurus is, how does a rifled choke work on smoothbore shotgun? Rifling at the last 3 inches is going to make a difference in, what, slug loads? Hard to believe something travelling down about 20 inches of smooth barrel is going to be stabilized in 3 inches of rifling at the end of its journey down the barrel.

I keep the 870 in my bedroom for home protection, but after looking at the patterns it throws compared to the tight patterns the Competition Master holds at across the room distance, I think I will be changing my "holy crap, what was that, better grab my shotgun-gun.

GioaJack
11-12-2011, 11:59
Your rifled choke is actually intended to be used with sabot encased slugs. That 3 inches of rifling will engage the plastic sabot and impart spin for greater accuracy. They have no beneficial effect on non-sabot slugs since the fins on those slugs are not intend to produce spin but rather to reduce the actual bearing surface thus increasing velocity.

When using buckshot or game shot through a rifled chock, (or rifled barrel) the effect will be to further disperse your pattern.

Not sure that will really make that much difference since at 7 yards, seven yards, 21 feet, (wise guy), a real man would simply butt stroke the aggressor then go have a cigarette. I can see how you flatlanders would tend to panic however and be inclined to shoot. Damn sissies.

Jack

EL_NinO619
11-12-2011, 13:07
Your rifled choke is actually intended to be used with sabot encased slugs. That 3 inches of rifling will engage the plastic sabot and impart spin for greater accuracy. They have no beneficial effect on non-sabot slugs since the fins on those slugs are not intend to produce spin but rather to reduce the actual bearing surface thus increasing velocity.

When using buckshot or game shot through a rifled chock, (or rifled barrel) the effect will be to further disperse your pattern.

Not sure that will really make that much difference since at 7 yards, seven yards, 21 feet, (wise guy), a real man would simply butt stroke the aggressor then go have a cigarette. I can see hoe you flatlanders would tend to panic however and be inclined to shoot. Damn sissies.

Jack

:perfect10::nsb:

I also did a test like this. My experiment was with 1oz rifled slugs @ 200 yards, Thats 600 feet for you guys. I hit center mass, and received a free lunch from a friend who doubted my marksmanship and the Ballistic coefficient of a beautiful 1oz Wolf slug..

norton
11-12-2011, 15:36

Not sure that will really make that much difference since at 7 yards, seven yards, 21 feet, (wise guy), a real man would simply butt stroke the aggressor then go have a cigarette. I can see how you flatlanders would tend to panic however and be inclined to shoot. Damn sissies.

Jack

Thanks Jack. I have shot slugs before but never the sabot type. My shoulder can hardly take the pounding of slugs, so I won't be bothering with sabots.
Always learn something from your posts. Most of it is legal too.

dkf
11-12-2011, 15:38
Rifled choke tubes are not worth the space they take up IMO. I've also seen vids on the tube where sabot slugs keyhole like a mofo through a rifled choke.

Smooth Bore = Rifled Slugs

Rifled Bore = Sabot Slugs

DoctaGlockta
11-12-2011, 16:08
:perfect10::nsb:

I also did a test like this. My experiment was with 1oz rifled slugs @ 200 yards, Thats 600 feet for you guys. I hit center mass, and received a free lunch from a friend who doubted my marksmanship and the Ballistic coefficient of a beautiful 1oz Wolf slug..

What did you launch it from?

EL_NinO619
11-13-2011, 02:27
What did you launch it from?

870 20" 7 Shot.