Magpul CTR stock [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Magpul CTR stock

Cole125
11-12-2011, 13:24
I have been thinking about upgrading my newest AR, a CMMG M4 LE, with a Magpul CTR stock. For those of you who have one is the thing worth $100 as a upgrade over the M4 stock?

Also I am looking for a new rail hand guard. I am looking at Midwest Industries and Troy two piece drop ins, out of the two which is the better?

Thanks. :cool:

Airborne Infantryman
11-12-2011, 13:44
I have been thinking about upgrading my newest AR, a CMMG M4 LE, with a Magpul CTR stock. For those of you who have one is the thing worth $100 as a upgrade over the M4 stock?

Also I am looking for a new rail hand guard. I am looking at Midwest Industries and Troy two piece drop ins, out of the two which is the better?

Thanks. :cool:

If you don't need the friction lock, or the QD socket, I'd go with the MagPul MOE stock, which runs about $60 as opposed to the $90-$100 of the CTR.

The MOE stock still locks up solid on most buffer tubes, but if you want to get rid of wobble altogether, go for the CTR. :wavey: As for the handguard, I cannot give a solid answer, as I have not owned either, but I will say that all the other products I have from Troy are solid, and well-built.

I have a CTR, but honestly would've gotten a MOE stock if I could do it over again.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6053/6300445862_e696fd9fd8_z.jpg

faawrenchbndr
11-12-2011, 13:46
I have the MOE on my BCM lower,.......works great at a lower price.

I prefer Troy over MI

ghostman1960
11-12-2011, 14:53
As said above the MOE stock is a good option. I wish I would have kept mine but the CTR is a very good stock. I prefer the DD Omega drop in rails over Troy or MI as they are free float.

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/ghostman1961/DSCF4192.jpg

AK_Stick
11-12-2011, 14:53
I've used both the MI and the Troy drop ins.

Neither is bad, I prefer Troy.

Gribble
11-12-2011, 15:17
I love my CTR's! There great stocks for multiple applications. I even have one on my AK........:wavey:

Cole125
11-12-2011, 15:24
I've used both the MI and the Troy drop ins.

Neither is bad, I prefer Troy.

Thanks for the input everyone! I have heard the Troy handguards can be hard to install and need fitting, while the MI rails just drop right in. Did you find this to be the case?

As far as the CTR stock, yes I am looking to eliminate wiggle.

ghostman1960
11-12-2011, 15:33
Thanks for the input everyone! I have heard the Troy handguards can to hard to install and need fitting, while the MI rails just drop right in. Did you find this to be the case?

As far as the CTR stock, yes I am looking to eliminate wiggle.

The mid length troy drop ins that I used to have did just that, drop in. No fitting was required.

faawrenchbndr
11-12-2011, 15:34
For the extra funds the CTR does add a few additional features.
The Troy rails fit just fine with standard uppers. There have been
fitment issues with billet uppers. Troy has free floating rails that
mount to the barrel nut.

Cole125
11-12-2011, 15:54
I like the look of the Troy rail over the MI, if installation is just as easy I'll get the Troy. Plus I have a Troy BUIS and the quality and lockup is just amazing, two thumbs up there.

One more question for you guys, if anyone can answer it. Does the Troy flat dark earth coating on their hand guards match the Magpul flat dark earth?

I cannot decide if I want to keep my rifle black or go with a flat dark earth stock, grip and hand guard. Decisions, decisions. Anyone have pics of their flat dark earthed rifles?

Gribble
11-12-2011, 16:13
The mid length troy drop ins that I used to have did just that, drop in. No fitting was required.
I installed a set on my uncles Armalite middy last week and it was the first time I have got to check them out and they are really sweet........http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/images/smilies/wavey%5B1%5D.gif

faawrenchbndr
11-12-2011, 16:14
My suggestion would be keep all the metal black.
Use matching color MagPul parts,....stock, grip & rail hand guards.

ghostman1960
11-12-2011, 16:35

This.

Hokie
11-12-2011, 17:36
If you don't need the friction lock, or the QD socket, I'd go with the MagPul MOE stock, which runs about $60 as opposed to the $90-$100 of the CTR.

The MOE stock still locks up solid on most buffer tubes, but if you want to get rid of wobble altogether, go for the CTR. :wavey: As for the handguard, I cannot give a solid answer, as I have not owned either, but I will say that all the other products I have from Troy are solid, and well-built.

I have a CTR, but honestly would've gotten a MOE stock if I could do it over again.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6053/6300445862_e696fd9fd8_z.jpg

The MOE also lacks the Push-button QD sling mount.

akgunnut
11-12-2011, 19:30
I have the CTR stock on my Colt 6920 and IMO it's much better than the wobbly factory M4 stock. It adjusts easily and still locks up tight! I just wish it didn't cost me almost 100 dollars but oh well LOL!

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/spyderdude18/IMGP0427.jpg

QNman
11-12-2011, 20:40
I have both the CTR and the MOE. Honestly verly little difference, except for the two minor things listed.

I think either is a vast improvement over M4 for comfort and fit.

MAJINKONG
11-12-2011, 21:53
i love its weight and looks.. but i like better the checkweld of the LMT SOPMOD.

Cole125
11-13-2011, 15:30

Yeah I think that is what I am going to do. If I want to go flat dark earth I can always get Magpul rail protecters in that color.

Anyways thanks for all the input guys, I am going with the Troy rail and I will get the Magpul stuff at a later date probably.

Gribble
11-13-2011, 15:58
Yeah I think that is what I am going to do. If I want to go flat dark earth I can always get Magpul rail protecters in that color.

Anyways thanks for all the input guys, I am going with the Troy rail and I will get the Magpul stuff at a later date probably.
You would be surprised at how well colors can match with the right pic of manufacture. I have several different manufactures in this pic and they melded together pretty good IMHO........:wavey:

http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj475/Cansler_Tactical/CanslerTacticalAK47WASR10GP.jpg

jrs93accord
11-13-2011, 16:08
I have used the CTRs in the past on some builds. My last couple builds, I have switched to the MOE. I also like the MOE pistol grip over the MIAD. As for drop in railed handguards, I have used MI and they are fantastic. I have a build I am working right now. I will using TROY MRF-DI handguards on it. The only reason is that I got them for $80 shipped and they were already Duracoated MAGPUL FDE. I hope they work well. IF you can afford them, the KAC M4 RAS are fantastic as well.

pag23
11-13-2011, 16:10
I prefer the CTR over the MOE. I like the locking feature of the CTR vs the MOE's slight wobble.

In regards to color, I have a complete black rifle and one with OD green Magpul stuff on it, the color gives it a bit of a different look (thanks AI!!)

I installed the Troy midlength drop in rail and am very happy with it, drops right in and locks right up. Hope this helps on your decision making. I recommend going to a local gunshow to get your Magpul items as you can save some cash haggling and comparing.

PghJim
11-13-2011, 18:22
Go with the CTR, I believe it is worth it. You did not include this brand, but I would go with Daniel Defense's Omega 7.0 rail When Installed, it is a stable system. You do not need anything special. Just remove the standard and install per instructions. I would not put an optical device on snap on fore end, but would on the DD.

Cole125
11-13-2011, 18:27
You would be surprised at how well colors can match with the right pic of manufacture. I have several different manufactures in this pic and they melded together pretty good IMHO........:wavey:

http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj475/Cansler_Tactical/CanslerTacticalAK47WASR10GP.jpg

Nice AK!!! :cool:

Like the FDE or OD green colors but decided to stay all black with this AR.

Cole125
11-13-2011, 18:29
Go with the CTR, I believe it is worth it. You did not include this brand, but I would go with Daniel Defense's Omega 7.0 rail When Installed, it is a stable system. You do not need anything special. Just remove the standard and install per instructions. I would not put an optical device on snap on fore end, but would on the DD.

The DD looks nice too, but I don't need to put a optics device on the fore end other than a TLR-2.

I'll read about that one, but I am 99 percent set on the Troy.

I am getting the black CTR stock and MOE grip too. I'll update with pics here once done.

Gribble
11-13-2011, 18:50
Nice AK!!! :cool:

Like the FDE or OD green colors but decided to stay all black with this AR.
Thanks! I like CTR's, I run a few of them........

http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj475/Cansler_Tactical/IMG_3222.jpg
http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj475/Cansler_Tactical/CB_145_mid_length_Range_Day_3.jpg
http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj475/Cansler_Tactical/IMG_8856-2.jpg
http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj475/Cansler_Tactical/IMG_0107.jpg
http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj475/Cansler_Tactical/IMG_6872.jpg

Cole125
11-13-2011, 20:37
Nice!! Man I cannot wait to get my AR set up like the one in your first pic...

How well do those Magpul rail protecters hold up?

Clint-M
11-14-2011, 03:43
Nice!! Man I cannot wait to get my AR set up like the one in your first pic...

How well do those Magpul rail protecters hold up?

If you're talking to Gribble those are Larue index clips. I have them on two uppers and they are great. Very secure clip and mine haven't given me any trouble.

http://www.laruetactical.com/indexclips-72-piece-set

CM

Gribble
11-14-2011, 05:42
If you're talking to Gribble those are Larue index clips. I have them on two uppers and they are great. Very secure clip and mine haven't given me any trouble.

http://www.laruetactical.com/indexclips-72-piece-set

CM
+1 and they cover much more surface area than ladders which subsequently doesn't transfer heat to your hands as fast during sustained fire.........:thumbsup:

eracer
11-14-2011, 05:55
Or you could go 'Green.'

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/eracer1111/2ndA/Spikes%20Dissy/SpikesDissy003.jpg

I really like the CTR. It locks up TIGHT.

Clint-M
11-14-2011, 07:58
My CTR doesn't lock up very tight at all. The trick to tightening it up, or the MOE is to remove your stock and put some electric tape length wise along your buffer tube. The tick makes my CTR super tight, and MOE quite a bit tighter. I'm looking to upgrade my MOE to a CTR soon if you're looking for a grip/stock combo.

CM

BBJones
11-14-2011, 11:58
My CTR doesn't lock up very tight at all. The trick to tightening it up, or the MOE is to remove your stock and put some electric tape length wise along your buffer tube. The tick makes my CTR super tight, and MOE quite a bit tighter. I'm looking to upgrade my MOE to a CTR soon if you're looking for a grip/stock combo.

CM

Are you sure you are using a Mil-Spec CTR on a mil-spec buffer tube?

Sounds like a commercial CTR on a Mil-spec tube, to me.

Clint-M
11-14-2011, 14:53
Yeah, I'm sure I'm using mil-spec on both. A little rattle is pretty common with the CTR, even locked. You can take the stock apart and bend the locking lever to tighten it up, but tape is a more common fix.

CM

faawrenchbndr
11-14-2011, 15:02

CM

Remove the stock and take a look at the buffer tube.
If the end is 90 degrees to the centerline, it's mil-spec.
If it looks to have about a 20 degree angle, it's a commercial buffer

Gribble
11-14-2011, 15:34
+1 It should lock up tight without anything else to aid it........

eracer
11-14-2011, 16:30
Yeah, I'm sure I'm using mil-spec on both. A little rattle is pretty common with the CTR, even locked. You can take the stock apart and bend the locking lever to tighten it up, but tape is a more common fix.

CM
No wiggle on mine whatsoever.

faawrenchbndr
11-14-2011, 17:19
No wiggle on mine whatsoever.

My MagPul MOE has very little wiggle on a BCM buffer tube

Jack Black
11-14-2011, 19:55

CM

I put two strips of electric tape not on the buffer tube, but on the inside of the tube of my MOE. I was pretty happy with how tight it was already, but it's even tighter now. Three strips of tape make it too tight.

Clint-M
11-14-2011, 21:01

:whistling: I'm well aware. Google something to deal with a loose CTR stock and you'll see that several people have had this problem. Even those with mil-spec stocks and tubes...like me no matter how many ways you tell me to check.

It's a matter of the friction lock on the lever not being as tight when you close it so it doesn't pinch the rest of the stock to the buffer tube. Here's even a video for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VX5XCQkcYc

CM

ghostman1960
11-14-2011, 21:26
:whistling: I'm well aware. Google something to deal with a loose CTR stock and you'll see that several people have had this problem. Even those with mil-spec stocks and tubes...like me no matter how many ways you tell me to check.

It's a matter of the friction lock on the lever not being as tight when you close it so it doesn't pinch the rest of the stock to the buffer tube. Here's even a video for you.

CM

That video does not even show a real CTR stock. It is a PTS stock made for airsoft. The rifle is also an airsoft gun. :whistling:

Jack Black
11-14-2011, 23:23
I've read plenty of stories of CTRs being a bit wobbly. Not sure why you guys don't believe him.

Cole125
11-14-2011, 23:46
+1 and they cover much more surface area than ladders which subsequently doesn't transfer heat to your hands as fast during sustained fire.........:thumbsup:

Looks like I'll been buying some of those too! :cool:

About the CTR stock being wobbly, if its even half less as wobbly as my classic M4 stock I'll be happy.

Hopefully it will be better, just because a few guys have issues with it does not mean I will.

Clint-M
11-15-2011, 02:26
Looks like I'll been buying some of those too! :cool:

About the CTR stock being wobbly, if its even half less as wobbly as my classic M4 stock I'll be happy.

Hopefully it will be better, just because a few guys have issues with it does not mean I will.

It is a very small amount of wobble and like I said, you can fix it by either doing what the guy in the video does or by putting a piece of tape it. It's not much, and it's not hard to fix...and it apparently doesn't exist besides for me and thousands of others online, which is not enough worth noting to these guys.

Thank you for your ultimate wisdom everyone, I now see the error of my ways by second guessing what I have on my rifle despite it being in my hands. You guys always seem to know what is right. It turns out I'm not even using a CTR. It was a kleanex box with a Magpul sticker.

CM

faawrenchbndr
11-15-2011, 02:32

CM

Seriously?! :wow:

Put the airsoft crap away, put your big boy panties on!
Posting garbage about airsoft cheap *** copies?!
Pleeeeeeeeze tell me that was a minor oversight on your part! :rofl:

faawrenchbndr
11-15-2011, 02:34
.......Thank you for your ultimate wisdom everyone, I now see the error of my ways by second guessing what I have on my rifle despite it being in my hands. You guys always seem to know what is right. It turns out I'm not even using a CTR. It was a kleanex box with a Magpul sticker.

CM

A REAL CTR does not have these issues, only a cheap *** airsoft copy, like you bought!:rofl:
Do ya wear Geranimals as well?!

Clint-M
11-15-2011, 02:38
Yes it was an oversight on my part. I have never seen an airsoft gun, let alone one with Magpul. I didn't even know they existed but the point that that is a common fix to a fix common problem is still valid. Just that I used the wrong video. I'm dumbfounded that I'm being treated like an infant for something I have seen all over the place like it is taboo to have a wobbly CTR here. I guess I'm cursed with it.

And I'm not sure what a geranimal is, but I'm assuming it is intended as an insult so +1 to you bud.

CM

faawrenchbndr
11-15-2011, 02:55
Lighten up lint,....where's your humor?!

A mil-spec CTR on a mil-spec tube does not wobble, I've owned six, all were GTG.
If you have a commercial CTR on a mil-spec tube, it WILL wobble. Same deal
with the airsoft copies. You are not being singled out, you were strongly
arguing a point and were mislead by a seller.

It's how it goes here,.....,,,

Clint-M
11-15-2011, 03:05
My seller was Larue Tactical. Guess I should call them and let them know they received airsoft equipment because the internet said so.

CM

Clint-M
11-15-2011, 03:25
My seller was Larue Tactical. Guess I should call them and let them know they received airsoft equipment because the internet said so.

CM

If this doesn't put this ridiculous argument to rest I don't know what will. :upeyes:

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd471/Clint-M/IMG_13031.jpg

See the "M"? Stands for mil-spec. If you have a commercial stock it will be stamped with a "C". Larue only sells mil-spec tubes. Glad your six are solid, you're in the majority.

http://www.laruetactical.com/combo-magpul-ctr-mil-spec-stock-and-receiver-extention-kit
CM

Cruiser1
11-15-2011, 13:22
My CTR locks up very tight, no wobble what so ever. I also have the Magpul Carbine forend that is very good on the hands. Feels better than any other that I have come across. So if the "wobble" is a common problem I guess I got lucky.

vrex
11-16-2011, 23:14

CM

Smart man here! ...and I thought I invented that trick...works great, just be careful not to put too much on, I had to rubber mallet my stock off on one of my builds!

faawrenchbndr
11-17-2011, 02:14

CM

I can't buy into that statement,.......have a shipping incoivce?:whistling:

Clint-M
11-17-2011, 07:43
:wavey: Yes.

CM

WoodenPlank
11-17-2011, 08:41
My ACS stock was loose on my buffer tube, and it took a piece of duct tape to really tighten it up. The tape also eliminated the issues with pulling out chin hairs.

pag23
11-17-2011, 16:25
no issues with mine Commercial or Mil-Spec tubes.... Hey everything isn't perfect, a bad one may have slipped through the cracks...

bchand01
11-17-2011, 16:29
I have had the moe and ctr. Both work about the same unless it's going to be a precision rifle( which I doubt youd put a ctr on that) I did my shopping around and got a FDE ctr for 72 dollars so it wasn't too bad. If they were full price id probably go moe.

21/4life
11-18-2011, 23:03
Is the Stag sa3 a mil-spec or commercial buffer? I want to get the Mag MOe Stock.

Cruiser1
11-19-2011, 07:52
Is the Stag sa3 a mil-spec or commercial buffer? I want to get the Mag MOe Stock.

Easy to check, pull your stock off, if the tube is straight on the end it is mil-spec, slanted is commercial.

mobilecommand
11-19-2011, 09:17
I love MY ctr stocks and i do have some moe stocks as well..

For my higher end guns or my personal guns that i don't let ppl shoot crt all the way.. for my desert guns moe..

As far as color i do reverse coloring.. everyone and there brother does furniture in any color i like to be different and leave furniture black and turn everything else a different color.. I have a new ar coming that is all FDE with black furniture.. I also have my arsenal AK done up in OD green as well Just need the MI optic rail to show up.

here are a few pics.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6121/6191421750_8ea572c6b0.jpg

typical colored furniture setup
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6044/5868892504_7fb19bdc76.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5218/5516808340_fac49c174c.jpg

21/4life
11-19-2011, 11:48
Thanks Cruiser1 I will check.

Glockman67
11-22-2011, 15:38
Odd, I prefer to have the CTR over the MOE because of the wobble, but the wobble on my current MOE isn't nearly as bad as the M4 stock.

As for the drop-in quad rail, I had the same dilemma. The new Midwest Industries drop-in carbine quad rail has the extension to the receiver that makes the top rail continuous. It is also lighter than the Troy. Having said that, I love my Troy MRF-DI. It locks up tight, was easy to install and looks close to the KAC RAS. The Troy has ridges in between the rails which increase surface area to help cool the quad rail quicker.

gman67

Eurodriver
11-22-2011, 16:03
I was a die hard MOE/CTR fan, and a loyal Magpul customer until I felt the Vltor EMOD/IMOD Series.

I will never go back, unless I am trying to stick to an extremely lightweight rifle.

Gribble
11-22-2011, 16:14
I was a die hard MOE/CTR fan, and a loyal Magpul customer until I felt the Vltor EMOD/IMOD Series.

I will never go back, unless I am trying to stick to an extremely lightweight rifle.
Great stock but not whisker friendly...........

Fwdftw
11-22-2011, 20:04
Great stock but not whisker friendly...........

Preach on feller bearder!, What do you suggest? Ive always wanted a Vltor.. but a buddy of mine salesman at a LGS highly suggested i veer away from it.. but man it looks and feels good!

Clint-M
11-22-2011, 20:43
Troy's new battleaxe is supposed to be awesome. I think it looks pretty goofy but the cheek weld on it has received high praise. Or any Magpul, depending on AR usage.

CM

Gribble
11-23-2011, 06:33
Preach on feller bearder!, What do you suggest? Ive always wanted a Vltor.. but a buddy of mine salesman at a LGS highly suggested i veer away from it.. but man it looks and feels good!
I opted for the ACS, killer cheek weld and very affordable.........:wavey:

humanguerrilla
11-23-2011, 12:05
i love its weight and looks.. but i like better the checkweld of the LMT SOPMOD.

Then you'd probably fall in love with the tactical intent stock [silly name but interesting product] like I have. It's an improved Sopmod with a great shape. You also don't have to rubber band the latch or cannibalize a Vltor butterfly.
http://ti7stock.com/

MAJINKONG
11-27-2011, 02:55
Then you'd probably fall in love with the tactical intent stock [silly name but interesting product] like I have. It's an improved Sopmod with a great shape. You also don't have to rubber band the latch or cannibalize a Vltor butterfly.
http://ti7stock.com/

WOW. looks awesome. Best of both worlds.
Is it well built?

catalyst686
11-28-2011, 01:26
I just upgraded to a CTR from the moe, I basically got it for free with a trade, I wouldn't have got it if I had to drop a bill for it.