Rand or mismatch [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Rand or mismatch

chinchin
11-12-2011, 16:01
I have purchased my first 1911A1 and I need some information on it.
Here is what is marked on the pistol.
Left of the slide is REMINGTON RAND INC
SYRACUSE N.Y.U.S.A.
Right side of the slide has nothing on it
Right side of the frame has a 6 digit Ser# 240xxx
right rear of the trigger guard is the letter I or the number 1
Right front of the trigger guardis the letter G
Left side of the frame has the letters FJA above the magazine release
The letter P is below the magazine release
Bith sides of the frame at the trigger guard is releaved for easier finger placement
Right front of the trigger guard are the letters GG or G6 or 66 nothing else on the frame.
I cannot get a picture of the pistol loaded on here but am willing to send a picture to a member email to be loaded on the site if they wish.
Any information on this pistol would be appreciated.
Regards

Road Dog
11-12-2011, 16:17
FJA = Frank J. Atwood, same as my 1944 & 1945 RRs so it sounds like a RR frame. You can easily check the serial number online. Is it still parkerized?

RD

1911Tuner
11-12-2011, 16:19
FJA...Frank J. Atwood was the Remington Rand inspector, but his initials are also on the Ithacas. A serial number will be needed to determine whether the frame was manufactured by RR.

It probably is a Rand frame. There were far more of them made than Ithacas.

chinchin
11-12-2011, 16:21
RD
All serial numbers I seem to be able to find are in the 7 digits. Have yetto find any in the 6 digit s.
Regards

chinchin
11-12-2011, 16:25
RD
Sorry forgot to answer the Park question most is warn off of the slide by someone wanting to polish it with what must have bee a heavier grade of steel wool. Frame is not bad. There is light pitting at the front of the trigger guard and on top of the slide where you would rack it to load a round.
Regards

tango44
11-14-2011, 20:00
Pm sent!

Jim Watson
11-15-2011, 07:57
Correct answers are on the other board where you posted pictures.
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=339550

The gun was "sanitized" by removal of the US Property markings and serial number after it was misappropriated from government stocks or pilfered from issue.
A made-up serial number was stamped, apparently to get on the Canadian registry from what you say there.
Collector interest is zero, value of the gun is purely as a plinker.

halfmoonclip
11-15-2011, 15:22
That makes sense; wondered about the lack of 'US Property' markings.
Moon