G26 Gen4 vs Gen3 and Ruger LCR Carry ?'s [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G26 Gen4 vs Gen3 and Ruger LCR Carry ?'s

ShootAndFish1
11-12-2011, 18:16
Hi Folks, I need to get serious about EDC. For the hot, humid, sand, salt air&water, and constant sweat conditions encountered in the South, I 'm going to make a glock 26 my primary EDC.

I see pros & cons to both the Gen 3 and Gen 4. Gen 3 has the advantage of skin contact without eating your flesh. Gen 4 has the more secure grip for sweaty hands. Now that the Gen 4 Ejector issues have been addressed, I see both the Gen 3 and Gen 4 as equal in the reliability area.

When the Glock is 'too much' gun, I am considering a Ruger LCR with the XS Big Dot in .38sp. I've only handled the LCR and was amazed at how well it 'presents', a very natural pointer.

My concern is how the LCR will stand up in 'nasty' field conditions and the ability to preform a 'detail' strip. My web searches havn't turned up much in complete disasembly for the LCR.

Guys and Ladies, Tell me what you think. Thanks.

eddy t
11-12-2011, 19:22
lcr is a great gun, no need to detail strip. the only thing necessary is to remove the grip and oil it as stated in the manual every 1000 rounds. just clean the barrel and cylinders on a regular basis, i do this every time i shoot it. really a LOW maintenance type gun.

James Dean
11-12-2011, 19:22
I own a G26 Gen4 and its everything I expected from Glock. I like the large mag release and the Grip on the Gen4's over the Gen3's.

GoBigOrange
11-12-2011, 19:25
I carry both the LCR and Glock 26. Both are excellent. The LCR will obviously require considerably more practice than the Glock but you won't be disappointed.

up1911fan
11-12-2011, 19:53
I carried a Gen4 G26 daily all summer. Really like the gun and the grip is no problem with IWB. The .38spcl Ruger LCR is my main pocket gun. Mine has the XS front as well as CTC's. Very shootable snubby. No reason to detail strip it, just routine care is required.

ShootAndFish1
11-12-2011, 20:48
Good to see that my selections are in good company.

For you guys with the LCR's, The gun 'looks' like it should come apart in 'modules'. Looks simple enough to remove the grips, cylinder, and then seperate the metal and polymer sections of the frame. This should expose enough of the 'inards' for a good cleaning, then 'blowing' with compressed air, followed by 'just a drop' of a quality oil where needed.

I'm serious about been able to service a 'self-defence' pistol that sees severe duty. Which is one reason that I prefer Glocks and joined GSSF and attended the armouror's class.

After several fishing trips in the south, I could not believe how sand seems to find every little nook in our gear and fighting corrosion is never ending. It is easy to see why glock is the major choice of LEO's in the southeast.

GoBigOrange
11-12-2011, 21:18
I think you've been watching too much Nutnfancy. There is absolutely no reason to detail strip the LCR. But if you insist, they should be fairly easy to work on.

up1911fan
11-13-2011, 18:57
I think you've been watching too much Nutnfancy. There is absolutely no reason to detail strip the LCR. But if you insist, they should be fairly easy to work on.
Agreed.

ShootAndFish1
11-13-2011, 23:02
well at least we agree on Glocks.

I still hold that being able to access the inner workings on any revolver is a good idea. One could argue that sand and grit could 'bind-up' a wheelgun just as a semi could malfunction.

Anyway, I asked for feedback and I got some. We can just agree to disagree.

Fred

G19aps
11-14-2011, 07:39
Ruger doesn't recommend taking it apart but there must be a way to do it just don't know what it is. If you are so concerned about it, the S&W J Frame can be taken apart for interior cleaning.

G19aps
11-14-2011, 08:07
google disassembly and reassembly of the ruger lcr revolver and follow the link with goliath in the address.

ShootAndFish1
11-14-2011, 09:30
google disassembly and reassembly of the ruger lcr revolver and follow the link with goliath in the address.

Thanks for the info.

I had been googling just 'disassembly of LCR' and the goliath link had never came up. Reguarding the S&W, I've been stoning and swaping out springs for my K,L,and N frames for several years and have no problem removing a sideplate. My 50ish eyes need a 'high-vis' front sight and that was one reason (and the lcr's trigger) that have me looking at the ruger.

hobbydad
11-22-2011, 14:07
I've been carrying a Gen4 G26 all year, with a LCR 357 as an alternate. Usually IWB for both with Supertucks, occasionally in Blackhawk soft pocket holsters, or in a Maxpedition bag w/universal holster. I couldn't be happier with either, both great guns. Lightweight, accurate, durable, and most importantly reliable.

huggytree
11-22-2011, 17:41
how is the trigger on the LCR....ill bet its long and strong....i considered it, but chose a G27 g3

triggers on most small guns are horrible....no way to be accurate w/o tons of practice

up1911fan
11-22-2011, 18:34
The LCR has the best trigger on a snubby IMO. Of course it's long, it's a double action revolver. Long isn't key, smooth is key. And the LCR's trigger is SMOOTH.

kvon
11-22-2011, 18:58
I actually found the glock 26 to carry easier, on my body, to conceal due to the LCR having the bulge from the cylinder. I loved how light the LcR was though. The main reason I sold it is because I shot HORRIBLY with it. I couldnt shoot it accurately during rapid fire.

I would suggest practicing a lot if you buy one. I would like to buy another but just don't have the time to spend learning the trigger.

hobbydad
11-22-2011, 21:56
Yes, the LCR trigger is very smooth, no complaints. Also, very unscientific, but if I lay my LCR next to my G26, the cylinder is no wider than the Glock slide. Much lower round count, obviously (13 vs. 5), but oh so much less weight, even with the 357 model. The LCR 38 is soo light it feels like a toy.